It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Thorfinn: I see it was a mistake to go with your assumptions arguendo.

Look at what the real reviews said.

Some reviews speak of multi-player problems. Beamdog's site says they are working to fix the issue.

Some speak of graphical issues. Beamdog's site says they are working to fix the issue.

Some speak of difficulty changing without the player's input. Beamdog's site says they are working to fix the issue.

Some complain about the change in movement speed. Beamdog's site acknowledges the change, but says it is intentional.

Some complain about poor dialog. That can mean mostly anything. One professional reviewer said the dialog was good, another said it was forced but good, another used the term "stilted". How "forced" or "stilted" dialog is at the same time "good" escapes me, but maybe they are leaving wiggle room for "great" or something.

Some complained about lack of real choices, that in some places, your replies were just variants of "yes". That might have been part of the basis for the claims it felt too railroady.

Some said the inability to leave an area and return was a bad thing. There was some of that in BG2 and quite a little in IWD. More yet in SoD? I don't know. Don't you think people who don't like that should be allowed to offer their feedback?

All of these sound like legitimate beefs about the game. Things that the fanbase found disappointing, to the point of regret for having purchased it. Things a potential buyer might want to know if he's considering putting down $20. Do we really need 100 reviews covering these same issues? Probably not, though it shows that it's not just one or two malcontents.

And, yet, almost every single 5-star review ignored all these legitimate complaints, and claimed that they were baseless, and were rather all about the one transgendered character. Why is it that these people believe they can ignore the rational reasons given in the reviews, and pretend they know what those reviewers "really" meant?

That's what I meant by over-the-top reaction to the reaction.
dtgreene: I think that, in order to get a good opinion about the game, you need to look for a review that isn't a 1-star or 5-star review.
A good review of anything is someone who played the game from start to finish and wrote the review without any agendas or bias.
dtgreene: I think that, in order to get a good opinion about the game, you need to look for a review that isn't a 1-star or 5-star review.
jsidhu762: A good review of anything is someone who played the game from start to finish and wrote the review without any agendas or bias.
A perfectly valid review is,

"POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT: I got up to the point in the game where I got killed by the sphinx for not guessing the right answer, and that meant I had to start all over. That was the final straw. I had had enough. I decided to go clean the toilet rather than play any further."

or

"I only got halfway through the game before I wore out my left mouse button. They should have implemented some kind of a click repeat if you hold the button down."

Occasionally, a game might be so good as to deserve a 5-star after, say, only clearing out the Nashkel Mines, but so long as the reviewer makes it clear he's only just started the game but is blown away by it, all is good.
jsidhu762: A good review of anything is someone who played the game from start to finish and wrote the review without any agendas or bias.
Thorfinn: A perfectly valid review is,

"POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT: I got up to the point in the game where I got killed by the sphinx for not guessing the right answer, and that meant I had to start all over. That was the final straw. I had had enough. I decided to go clean the toilet rather than play any further."

or

"I only got halfway through the game before I wore out my left mouse button. They should have implemented some kind of a click repeat if you hold the button down."

Occasionally, a game might be so good as to deserve a 5-star after, say, only clearing out the Nashkel Mines, but so long as the reviewer makes it clear he's only just started the game but is blown away by it, all is good.
They may be valid, but they're not very good ones. Getting killed might just be in the job description of being a hero and the left-click-issue... it's the infinity-engine after all.
No, seriously, if you compare real reviews with the plethora of smackdowns, there are vast differences regarding objectivity and just keeping to politeness. And looking at what professional reviewers say, especially the writing is considered to be more than adequate. Not to speak of writers and developers who really ought to know like Greenwood.
low rated
GabesterOne: For the first part of my statement is just D&D lore that beam dog should've thought of when forcing a tranny in the game.
dtgreene: You do realize that the word "tranny" is a slur and should not be used, right?
People with abnormal disorders should not feel comfortable in their delusion. Using the word "tranny" is helpful if that gets them to change their delusional antics.

If someone walks around telling me they are George Washington or Ghandi, they should be labeled as crazy. Labels are a good way to help people to change stupidity. Trannys are crazy people, they need medical help to ACCEPT THE GENITALS IN THEIR PANTS.
Post edited April 22, 2016 by lumin
lumin: helpful if that gets them to change their delusional antics.
Or plunge into deep depression and/or commit suicide. Or elicit a defensive reaction and make them sink deeper into the delusion. But who cares, right? It's not like "people with abnormal disorders" are people and have feelings or anything. (Hint: You won't see a psychiatrist/psychologist using slurs on his/her patients. There's a reason for that.)
Post edited April 22, 2016 by Fenixp
low rated
Fenixp: Or plunge into deep depression and/or commit suicide. Or elicit a defensive reaction and make them sink deeper into the delusion. But who cares, right? It's not like "people with abnormal disorders" are people and have feelings or anything. (Hint: You won't see a psychiatrist/psychologist using slurs on his/her patients. There's a reason for that.)
Everyone has feelings. Everyone on the planet gets depressed. Cry me a river. Playing along with someone who has an imaginary friend or someone who thinks they are Abraham Lincoln, or thinks they are not the sex they were born as so they don't feel depressed, isn't the answer.

A recent study of the 2010 census showed that only 89,667 adults in the United States had changed their names from one sex to another. That’s roughly 1 in 2,500 adults. That's 0.0004% of the population. Even the most optimistic estimates put the US self identfied tranny population at under .3% of the population. That's zero point three.

Please stop with the BS that this is normal. It's not. Call it delusion, call it schizophrenia, call it any other disorder that you want. Trannys are sick and need help accepting who they are. Stop acting like a child and playing along with their fantasy world. Everyone gets depressed, welcome to life. It's unfair and cruel sometimes. We all have our "problems' we have to deal with. Trannys aren't unique in that. Stop being a whiny pussy about their feelings.
lumin: Please stop with the BS that this is normal. It's not. Call it delusion, call it schizophrenia, call it any other disorder that you want. Trannys are sick and need help accepting who they are. Stop acting like a child and playing along with their fantasy world. Everyone gets depressed, welcome to life. It's unfair and cruel sometimes. We all have our "problems' we have to deal with. Trannys aren't unique in that. Stop being a whiny pussy about their feelings.
What you said, literally, is:
So, according to you, transsexuality (and homosexuality and whatnot) are psychological diseases which need to be cured. On the other hand, you're also telling us to act as if people with these psychological diseases were perfectly psychologically stable and sane individuals. You really can't have it both ways - offending and generally agitating psychologically unstable individuals has been repeatedly proven to make psychological diseases worse. Naturally, you can claim that these people are both unstable and deserve all the shit they can get, in which case you're not trying to be "helpful" to anyone and I'd suggest you stop using that word.

You know, thus far, I've been willing to give you a benefit of a doubt, but even Michael Bailey does most certainly not in any way support being an asshole towards lgtb community since it ... Well ... Doesn't help treat psychological diseases. I thought there's perhaps a chance you're a person who is genuinely concerned about his fellow human beings - as it stands, you've just proven to be another bigot, driven by basic animistic instinct to be afraid of what he does not understand, grabbing the first scientific work you apparently didn't even understand properly as a validation for your actions. So.. Yes, I'm butting out of this discussion, there's no point in reasoning with you since your beliefs quite clearly do not originate in reason.
Post edited April 22, 2016 by Fenixp
low rated
lumin: Please stop with the BS that this is normal. It's not. Call it delusion, call it schizophrenia, call it any other disorder that you want. Trannys are sick and need help accepting who they are. Stop acting like a child and playing along with their fantasy world. Everyone gets depressed, welcome to life. It's unfair and cruel sometimes. We all have our "problems' we have to deal with. Trannys aren't unique in that. Stop being a whiny pussy about their feelings.
Fenixp: What you said, literally, is:
Fenixp: So, according to you, transsexuality (and homosexuality and whatnot) are psychological diseases which need to be cured. On the other hand, you're also telling us to act as if people with these psychological diseases were perfectly psychologically stable and sane individuals. You really can't have it both ways - offending and generally agitating psychologically unstable individuals has been repeatedly proven to make psychological diseases worse. Naturally, you can claim that these people are both unstable and deserve all the shit they can get, in which case you're not trying to be "helpful" to anyone and I'd suggest you stop using that word.
Yes and Yes. Some trannys are legitimately crazy, and others are attention seekers who deserve every bit of scorn for the phony show they are putting on. If that gets them depressed and suicidal, so be it. A lot of things in reality gets me depressed too. I sometimes wish I could escape it all. But I wear my big boy pants and still get up each day. I encourage you and them to do the same.
"'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.'"
lumin: But I wear my big boy pants and still get up each day. I encourage you and them to do the same.
Let's pretend for a moment. (That's what tabletop role playing really *is*, anyway.)

Pretend that you have the body of a woman. In particular, pretend that you have big breasts, a wide hip (wide enough to bear children), and you have a vagina rather than a penis. You also are unable to grow facial hair, even if you want to. Furthermore, every month, you experience some bleeding in your vagina for a few days, and this has been happening since before your teens. Your voice is so high pitched that it just doesn't *feel* like your real voice.

Furthermore, your brain is still telling you that you are a man. You would really like to pee standing up, but you can't because you just don't have the part. Your breasts make you uncomfortable all the time (to the point where you want them gone, even if it means getting breast cancer so that you can justify getting them removed). You wish you could grow a beard, or at least have the option to do so. You wish you actually had a deeper, manly voice. All this disconnect (the term often used here is "dysphoria" is making you depressed and suicidal.

Given this, wouldn't you want to transition into a more authentic self, taking testosterone ingections to allow you to grow facial hair, get a deeper voice, and become as strong as a man? Wouldn't you want to have your breasts removed so that you feel more comfortable?

Just imagine yourself in these shoes and think about it.

(This whole post assumes you're a cisgender man. Trans men experience this sort of dysphoria every day until they transition, while a women would actually *like* some of these traits and would not want masculine ones (at least to a degree).)
low rated
With bitterness and sadness, i read that some people here, even quit gog, because of the original Baldur's Gate games being FUSED in the Enhanced Editions, others even being angry about the "sacrilege" done to a classic and beloved series of games, of that "company". There is a solution to that. You can still keep the originals intact in their own shelf. You can avoid the merging. Hell, you can even cut off the money you erroneously sent to Beamdog before (in good faith that they perhaps were to be invested towards "improvements", or maybe that BG3)...

I myself was very angry with the entire circus performance those animals treated us to... And demanded a store credit refund. Guess what, it worked! I got rid of all Beamdog eyesores, er, titles i mean. And i am going to keep the originals right where they belong, in their own special place, both in my library and gamer's heart. I just got rid of the garbage that polluted my collection! And what's even better, with the store credit, i am going to thin off my wishlist, once again!

Those of you who got issues with Beamdog's performance and abusing of our beloved series, consider doing this! There is no reason for you to ragequit, leave or turn cheek! Vote with your wallets! Use your RIGHTS as a dedicated customer! You can too!

P.S. Just in case, the game merging is not the main issue here, but one of the bunch. You can even totally disregard it. Peace.
Post edited April 23, 2016 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
low rated
I've just come across a message from the OP from back in early April

To quote Totenglocke
"Obviously only I'm an idiot for not supporting a company who's employees state a blatant hatred of customers with my gender / orientation / race. If you want to pay a company to spit in your face and tell you how much they hate you, I can't stop you. However, I'll never pay a company to treat me like shit and I will alert others to their poor behavior."

... & I would have replied to him, but the gutless wonder has blocked me, so here's my reply
"Hahahahahaha, good one neck-beard ... what a sad little "straight" white boy you must be ... you really should get off your computer once & a while, leave your parent's basement & enjoy the real world."

Also the attachment is very relevant ;)
Attachments:
pc_agenda.png (368 Kb)
low rated
thebiz: I've just come across a message from the OP from back in early April

To quote Totenglocke
"Obviously only I'm an idiot for not supporting a company who's employees state a blatant hatred of customers with my gender / orientation / race. If you want to pay a company to spit in your face and tell you how much they hate you, I can't stop you. However, I'll never pay a company to treat me like shit and I will alert others to their poor behavior."

... & I would have replied to him, but the gutless wonder has blocked me, so here's my reply
"Hahahahahaha, good one neck-beard ... what a sad little "straight" white boy you must be ... you really should get off your computer once & a while, leave your parent's basement & enjoy the real world."

Also the attachment is very relevant ;)
The attachment isn't relevant at all because there's absolutely nothing stopping people who feel sorry for themselves from creating original content.

People who whine about not being accepted would be far better served by learning how to accept themselves.
low rated
Totes relevant ... & you'd get it too if you had any clue about critical thinking ... but seeing you're from the US you probably did your schooling there & critical thinking isn't big on the syllabus ;)
low rated
thebiz: Totes relevant ... & you'd get it too if you had any clue about critical thinking ... but seeing you're from the US you probably did your schooling there & critical thinking isn't big on the syllabus ;)
True, but we both know that it isn't any better in oz. ;)