It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've had my first play-through of SoD - and I like it.

I thought the story device to bridge BG to BG2 was pretty brilliant and satisfying. Old friends. To get more of Minsc, Imo, Viconia - even original narrator - heck yeah, I'm sold! :-D The combat was fairly challenging on core. But scaling is generous if need be.

So you OP: "I don't like it, neither should you!"

"Wäääh, wääh, wääh - my gaming joy is very fragile, a minor detail destroys it, and thence it requires mass validation! Let me mount a campaign against non-mainstream publisher too, because I have such a great gaming solidarity!"

I thought those "SWJs" were supposed to be very fussy and unforgiving about the tiniest detail?

Yet here you are, throwing your toys out of the pram ... for a minor detail.

Us BG and Beamdog fans will get on with gaming, maybe just a little bit more joyfully! ;-)
gunman_: There were no romances in BG1. BG2 introduced this scourge. Nothing more annoying than a romance dialogue popping up when you are buffing for an incoming encounter.
If you referred to Ano romance specifically, I might get you - though still thinking you never bothered to consider the secondary layer of his behaviour. I've grown to like Ano over years. :-)

Even Ano notwithstanding: romances are entirely voluntary content. Those whom dislike such, just ignore. It's easy, rest assured.

I actually like romances, but never ever have ended up dragged unto the fictional bed-chamber kicking and screaming. And eventual very naïve romance haters can just reload, surely? ;-)
lumin: Males are generally stronger than women in general, that's why they should be represented as such in D&D.
Actually, the latter doesn't follow from the former.

Just because something is true in real life, you don't need to implement said rule in a game, especially since there is the strong Amazonian warrior trope that appears in fantasy, and the strength limit prevents you from playing one. Also, the female strength limit *will* alienate many female gamers, and it doesn't benefit the gameplay, so why have it?

If realism is your concern, why are there no rules about going to the bathroom?

(Of note, one AD&D mechanic I actually dislike is weapon proficiencies, and I especially dislike how they increased the number of them in BG2 (compared to BG1); why should I need to pick between bastard swords and long swords?)
Thorfinn: I wish I had read this before buying. My kids at 4 and 5 when the original BG came out had a blast. We shut off gore, and stuck with the good side. It was nice that Bioware even included the fact that when you do bad things, your reputation suffers. Teamwork is important. When you encounter a problem, review all the tools you have at hand to deal with it. Great life lessons.

So when my niece brought out her kids to spend a week here, I thought it would be fun to get the latest and greatest versions of such a great game. I was not disappointed. More furious. Have all the bizarro 51 Facebook gender crap you want. But is it really that much to ask for something similar to the no-gore filter? You know, just let us grognards have our swords and sorcery fantasy without trying to cram a political agenda down out throats?

I can ignore it, or as many commented, just leave Xzar and Montaron standing by the side of the road. At least once I know the kind of characters they are. Or I can even bring them along and do the Sword Coast a favor by letting them get slain outside the Friendly Arms. My niece was not happy at having to deal with a conversation with her preschooler about same-sex attraction.

There should have been some kind of a warning that the game was morphing into something that, when shown to 5-year olds, is best described as child abuse.
dtgreene: I don't see how a message of inclusiveness would be at all harmful to 4 or 5 year olds. In fact, I see such messages as being quite beneficial to any such children who might happen to be transgender or gender non-conforming, and harmless to the others; in fact, it might increase their respect for such people.

Also, same-sex attraction is no different than opposite-sex attraction. Does your niece get unhappy when having to talk to her preschooler about opposite-sex attraction?

Stig79: Viconia is a priestess of an evil goddess. She has an evil alignment. She has done evil.
dtgreene: The first two of these sentences may be correct, but they don't imply the third. Do you have any proof of the claim "she has done evil"?
Read the Dark elf trilogy (it actually ties directly into Viconia's storyline) and find out what dark elf priestesses has to do when they are growing up. Sacrificing other drow and people is very common. And the drow males gets tortured and abused on a daily basis. Hence her "Male! Fetch me something to eat" comment (or whatever the comment was).

+ if you have an evil alignment it is because you have done evil things. Simple as that. Alignments shift when you do good\evil things.
high rated
lumin: Thankfully, most of these people are still over in Europe, where they're now reaping the results of a degenerate society that accepts "everyone" with no boundaries on decency. Well now the "everyone" are tens of thousands of bloodthirsty terrorists raping and blowing everything up. I hope we wake up over here before it's too late.
Coming from an American, that's very sad indeed.
I know it's futile, but please stop lashing out at everything that contradicts your point of view. You are entitled to it as everyone else is. You can discuss, insist, maybe even preach your credo. But in indifferently insulting whole nations you just ridicule yourself.
high rated
Okay, normally I do not participate in hate threads, but this time I have to jump in.

Fucking please. Get over yourself; these few lines of dialogue - that you have to go looking for - no more ruin your game than Jar Jar Binks ruined your childhood.

If you have a real, honest assessment of the bugs that crash the program; yes - that "ruins" the game.

If you have problems with the levelling, pacing, monsters, or other legitimate concerns about the operations of the game, then yes, they might "ruin" the game.

Having A trangender person in a fantasy setting does not 'ruin' your game.

You know, when you cry and whine and winge on about "oh my god, a transgender character is in my game" you make the case FOR social justice warriors; you reinforce hate and bigotry, you waste everyone's time and energy telling you what a sad, mouth breathing, ignorant fuckhead of a troll you are, AND you accomplish absolutely nothing other than proving the point that trangender people cannot go anywhere without feeling like they might be harassed, assaulted, or even killed.

so shut the ever-loving fuck up, you big, spoiled, over-privileged whiny baby.
VetMichael: so shut the ever-loving fuck up, you big, spoiled, over-privileged whiny baby.
No, as I don't support butchery of the D&D lore, as it is asinine that a cleric who is a merchant that is trans is too stupid to get the gender switch spell.

Also the fact that they change beloved characters to different personalities just does not make since, as they change from Baldur's gate 1, then change back to there old personalities in Baldur's gate 2.

But that is just part of the icing of the big shit cake that is dragonspear, as the story is very shitty, the removal of so much of the rpg elements that the original games had, combat design like icewind dale, and the glorious retarded bugs in the game.
VetMichael: so shut the ever-loving fuck up, you big, spoiled, over-privileged whiny baby.
GabesterOne: No, as I don't support butchery of the D&D lore, as it is asinine that a cleric who is a merchant that is trans is too stupid to get the gender switch spell.

Also the fact that they change beloved characters to different personalities just does not make since, as they change from Baldur's gate 1, then change back to there old personalities in Baldur's gate 2.

But that is just part of the icing of the big shit cake that is dragonspear, as the story is very shitty, the removal of so much of the rpg elements that the original games had, combat design like icewind dale, and the glorious retarded bugs in the game.
Examples please. Real ones.
From what I've seen so far, Beamdog did a decent job which will bring new fans to the series.
low rated
For the first part of my statement is just D&D lore that beam dog should've thought of when forcing a tranny in the game.

Safana was change from a woman who is very proud of her sexuality and his very prominent, to a woman pretty much saying mansplaning (because the game writer when focusing on making the game more pc found the original Safana problematic).

For rpg elements: u can't back track to areas any more, can't give a evil response to several characters in the game (such as to the tranny), and very little impact the player can have on the world through out the game.

Story wise..... is meh, like I could almost get into the story (but the dialogue is so bad (the voice acting is bad, but I can ignore that)).

Gameplay, it is very like icewind dale with lots of segments of momentous hacking and slashing segments through out the game

Plus the game is buggy, with crashes, black lining, the weird difficulty reload bug and etc.

Overall, I felt like this game could've been k if it was given to a better developer, not to the team that botch the releases of baldur's gate 1 and 2 enhanced editions.
GabesterOne: For the first part of my statement is just D&D lore that beam dog should've thought of when forcing a tranny in the game.
You do realize that the word "tranny" is a slur and should not be used, right?
Stig79: + if you have an evil alignment it is because you have done evil things. Simple as that. Alignments shift when you do good\evil things.
not in BG (based on 2nd edition) - it does happen in NWN (based on 3rd edition). (I'm assuming this is a factor of 2nd v. 3rd edition - if 2nd edition allowed for alignment moving in the p&p game, please correct me).

There's one point in SOA that your character can turn evil (though not good for some reason) - but that's a special case.
TrollumThinks: There's one point in SOA that your character can turn evil (though not good for some reason) - but that's a special case.
It also, to my understanding, does not make you fall from being a Paladin or Ranger. (If you are a Paladin, note that this will cause your turn undead ability to function like that of an evil cleric, allowing you to command enemy undead.)
Stig79: + if you have an evil alignment it is because you have done evil things. Simple as that. Alignments shift when you do good\evil things.
TrollumThinks: not in BG (based on 2nd edition) - it does happen in NWN (based on 3rd edition). (I'm assuming this is a factor of 2nd v. 3rd edition - if 2nd edition allowed for alignment moving in the p&p game, please correct me).

There's one point in SOA that your character can turn evil (though not good for some reason) - but that's a special case.
Way more than one. You can even walk around wearing human flesh if you want.
TrollumThinks: not in BG (based on 2nd edition) - it does happen in NWN (based on 3rd edition). (I'm assuming this is a factor of 2nd v. 3rd edition - if 2nd edition allowed for alignment moving in the p&p game, please correct me).

Tracking alignment shifts due to character actions has been a part of the P&P game since D&D came out. Yes, it is a part of 2e AD&D.

It is true that BG does not faithfully represent that, but that's probably because it would have been a hassle. Easier to just use a reputation mechanic that is not in 2e than to try to assign an alignment value to every dialog option and every action.
VetMichael: You know, when you cry and whine and winge on about "oh my god, a transgender character is in my game" you make the case FOR social justice warriors; you reinforce hate and bigotry, you waste everyone's time and energy telling you what a sad, mouth breathing, ignorant fuckhead of a troll you are, AND you accomplish absolutely nothing other than proving the point that trangender people cannot go anywhere without feeling like they might be harassed, assaulted, or even killed.

so shut the ever-loving fuck up, you big, spoiled, over-privileged whiny baby.
"Ruin" is subjective. Obviously, it's a bigger deal to some than to you.

I thought the OP made a good suggestion -- if you don't want more of this in the next release, complain, even to the point of not buying the product. Surely you can't object to that? If you want prime rib and order prime rib and pay for prime rib, then they bring you tofu and tell you to shut up and enjoy it, tofu is good for you, I'd say the problem is the restaurant, and I'm fine with them going bankrupt.

It's this over-the-top reaction to the reaction that is telling. If people can mostly make the case against SJW invasion of yet another thing without insults, why can't the other side? Why must everyone who thinks that social commentary about sexual orientation of any type doesn't need to be in a game that didn't have it before is necessarily driven by hate? Or is an ignorant fuckhead?

And then to springboard from there to the completely unrelated idea that anyone who thinks that way might become violently oppressive of others? Is there even a scintilla of evidence that is true?

Consider it from any perspective other than your narrow-minded one. Imagine someone were to actually call transexuals "ignorant fuckheads". Or call you SJWs "ignorant fuckheads". This, I would remind, has not happened in this thread. But if it had, I would agree there are grounds to think that people who had such poor control of their emotions might well present a threat of violence.
Post edited April 16, 2016 by Thorfinn