It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Besiege is at risk of being removed.
Source
SargonAelther: Besiege is at risk of being removed.
Source
Saved Click: GOG isn't accomidating their needs, helping them automate builds, and the lack of a workshop is another problem.
high rated
SargonAelther: Besiege is at risk of being removed.
Source
dnovraD: Saved Click: GOG isn't accomidating their needs, helping them automate builds, and the lack of a workshop is another problem.
Automating builds seems like a reasonable complaint. But how is a lack of workshops a problem for them? Wouldn't that be more of a problem for non-Steam users than just an extra feature?

Dose steam automate builds?

It sounds like they do not want to waste time working on the GOG version. I'm still confused about how it would be so much work to keep the GOG version updated. Steam and GOG are just storefronts for PCs. They act like it's porting a game to another OS.
Post edited 3 days ago by Syphon72
high rated
dnovraD: Saved Click: GOG isn't accomidating their needs, helping them automate builds, and the lack of a workshop is another problem.
Blaming GOG alone isn't fair, though. Some of the comments show the situation in a different light. There, it sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy:

Dev doesn't like the platform -> puts in no effort (missing features, lack of updates, no advertising) -> potential customers ignore the game -> poor sales -> dev's negative opinion gets affirmed ("it's not worth it" / "the audience isn't there")

A lose-lose situation for all parties.
Post edited 3 days ago by g2222
Yes, it's a shame, but I've developed a thick skin and put on my good mood glasses.

Every EA, Ubi, Capcom, Bandai, Konami, MS, etc. game that doesn't appear here allows other developers to make money from me.

So now I'm going to have a nice game, because the weather isn't that great today.
g2222: it sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy:

Dev doesn't like the platform -> puts in no effort (missing features, lack of updates, no advertising) -> potential customers ignore the game -> poor sales -> dev's negative opinion gets affirmed ("it's not worth it" / "the audience isn't there")
Good (and true) point!
high rated
g2222: Blaming GOG alone isn't fair, though. Some of the comments show the situation in a different light. There, it sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy:

A lose-lose situation for all parties.
It's not a self-fulfilling prophecy where I'm a loser that is missing out. That's Steam mentality. If the developer doesn't want to support their game on one storefront, it's not worth purchasing on any store - Steam included. Once they decide that the sales on Steam are not good enough anymore, the developer is just going to blame the customers and drop support on Steam. This isn't something that people will be paying ten years from now because it's that good.
Syphon72: Automating builds seems like a reasonable complaint. But how is a lack of workshops a problem for them? Wouldn't that be more of a problem for non-Steam users than just an extra feature?

It sounds like they do not want to waste time working on the GOG version. I'm still confused about how it would be so much work to keep the GOG version updated. Steam and GOG are just storefronts for PCs. They act like it's porting a game to another OS.
We've heard varying reports over the years from various developers on how easy it is to keep a game updated. Some compare it to the worst bureaucracy that the Ministerstwo Infrastruktury could offer while you're attempting to report a particularly large pothole.

For example, manual invoicing has been cited as a pain before.

Others seem to drop off their updates like clockwork and you can tell it's Friday again because Caves of Qud has updated again. So not only is there a consistancy issue, but GOG clearly has treated others differently, as they have often done so.
high rated
Syphon72: Automating builds seems like a reasonable complaint. But how is a lack of workshops a problem for them? Wouldn't that be more of a problem for non-Steam users than just an extra feature?

dnovraD: We've heard varying reports over the years from various developers on how easy it is to keep a game updated. Some compare it to the worst bureaucracy that the Ministerstwo Infrastruktury could offer while you're attempting to report a particularly large pothole.

For example, manual invoicing has been cited as a pain before.

Others seem to drop off their updates like clockwork and you can tell it's Friday again because Caves of Qud has updated again. So not only is there a consistancy issue, but GOG clearly has treated others differently, as they have often done so.
That's the thing; we have some saying it's bad and too much hassle. At the same time, other developers are updating like it's a piece of cake.

When I see a single developer updating the GOG and Steam versions at the same time, It makes me not believe some developers 100%. Either way, GOG should always be finding more ways to improve the process.

Edit: One guy on reddit mentioned updates started going down hill once workshop was integrated. Like to also point out, the Dev said the player base was so low that work supporting the game was not worth it. This could be said about any storefront that is not steam. People seem to forget the game is on Xbox/MS store, and the Dev said only steam is getting the DLC right now.
Post edited 2 days ago by Syphon72
high rated
Syphon72: That's the thing; we have some saying it's bad and too much hassle. At the same time, other developers are updating like it's a piece of cake.

When I see a single developer updating the GOG and Steam versions at the same time, It makes me not believe some developers 100%. Either way, GOG should always be finding more ways to improve the process.
I'm very much on the skeptical side. I see tons of games -- both large and small; with DLC and without; big team and small team -- that get updates on GOG easily and timely compared to the other places. It's all about how well they developed their title and build environment.

I can definitely believe "harder once we did Workshop". That's a lot more "optional" code to have to compile for conditionally. That's the whole point of Workshop -- to get more Steam lock-in.
Post edited 2 days ago by mqstout
mqstout: I can definitely believe "harder once we did Workshop". That's a lot more "optional" code to have to compile for conditionally. That's the whole point of Workshop -- to get more Steam lock-in.
Obviously, but the most lock-in has to come from mods not being available elsewhere – if the creator does not want to provide other download options.
high rated
For those interested, these 3 games may be at risk:

Someday You'll Return - Replaced by Director's Cut on Steam
Braid - Replaced by Anniversary Edition on Steam
Planet Nomads - Removed from Steam long ago: https://steamcommunity.com/app/504050/discussions/0/4211496988417143380/
Post edited 13 hours ago by Alexim