It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm also probably going to sit the next one out. Work is being too tiring and I'll just keep letting my team down.
SirPrimalform: I'm also probably going to sit the next one out. Work is being too tiring and I'll just keep letting my team down.
Better than letting us down! ;-)
SirPrimalform: I'm also probably going to sit the next one out. Work is being too tiring and I'll just keep letting my team down.
Lifthrasil: Better than letting us down! ;-)
I meant my in game team, I don't give a fuck about those guys at work!
Lifthrasil: Better than letting us down! ;-)
SirPrimalform: I meant my in game team, I don't give a fuck about those guys at work!
Ah, OK. Makes more sense like that! :-)
I will comment on the unpleasantness in game #55 and then I’ll move on down the road.

In game #53 (and in the admin thread) there was discourse regarding changing avatars during a game. It was to my surprise the discussion turned to consideration of further rules being implemented. The discussion was had and the matter seemed to be tabled (or at least left up to individual moderation).

During the course of that game I duped poppyappletree’s avatar. She PMed me with: “..Why are you using my avatar” Then 30 minutes later PMed me: “Just as an FYI, I'm having a really stressful time at the moment and I don't need your shenanigans.”

I promptly changed my avatar (as promptly as the site allows) because I had no intention of stressing anyone. I didn’t PM her back or demand my rights to do whatever I want to do. I moved on.

During game #55 I made a comment (post#157) to one of her many posts berating me and my play with: “You are truly being a hateful player.” It wasn’t a personal attack from me. It was an assessment of an emotionally charged series of posts aimed directly at me.

When she subbed out I received this final PM from her: “Right, you've got your wish: I'm subbing out of the game. I'm done. You have entirely killed any desire I had to play, and I was previously enjoying the game. Your conduct towards me since #53 has been appalling, and was a substantial part of why I chose not to play in #54 - I had informed Joe from the outset that I didn't wish to play with you. I can't play with someone who uses a game as a pretext to continue personally harassing another player, so I will not be playing with you in future. You are also not welcome in any games that I might moderate, so spare us both the ugliness and don't try to sign up. Probably best if you don't reply to this; in fact, I have no desire to talk to you further so it would save us both the trouble. Feel free to share this with ZFR though, you probably ought to.”

This is unhealthy. This is personal. And no matter how absurd I may think something is, I have an obligation to help. I have no interest in foisting myself into anything which will result in such hostility and bitterness. If someone wants something so badly they’re willing to say anything to get it, again I have an obligation to help. Giving up forum mafia for someone else’s peace of mind is mine to give.

I’m going to look for Krypsyn.
Don't leave in frustration or premature consideration. Yes, stepping out of the game so that someone else may enjoy it is considerate. But how about waiting for whether Poppy actually wants to play? Otherwise we'll have lost two players and we are low on players anyhow. If you two are just incompatible, you could take turns playing. That happens. Sometimes two people just don't get along. It's unfortunate, but if both of them drop out of playing as a consequence, that's the worst possible solution.
flubbucket: During game #55 I made a comment (post#157) to one of her many posts berating me and my play with: “You are truly being a hateful player.” It wasn’t a personal attack from me. It was an assessment of an emotionally charged series of posts aimed directly at me.

This is unhealthy. This is personal. And no matter how absurd I may think something is, I have an obligation to help. I have no interest in foisting myself into anything which will result in such hostility and bitterness. If someone wants something so badly they’re willing to say anything to get it, again I have an obligation to help. Giving up forum mafia for someone else’s peace of mind is mine to give.

I’m going to look for Krypsyn.
Personally I think Poppy was entirely in the wrong in what she said to you in game.

It's a game, you play it the way you play. It's not the way everyone else plays, but it happens to work for you and if you're enjoying yourself I see no issue with that.
We've had many players over the years who either through choice or circumstances don't post all that much during a game (CSPVG and QuadrAlien come to mind) and I find it a little sad if we start to say that people can't play because their playstyle doesn't meet some kind of criteria.
If a player seems to be evasive and not contributing then the answer is to lynch them, the game literally provides a mechanism for dealing with such players.

It would be a shame to lose you but I also understand if you feel that stepping back is the best thing to do so other people can enjoy the game. I think our games will be poorer because of it but I understand.
adaliabooks: If a player seems to be evasive and not contributing then the answer is to lynch them, the game literally provides a mechanism for dealing with such players.
... except against an Innocent Child ;)
adaliabooks: If a player seems to be evasive and not contributing then the answer is to lynch them, the game literally provides a mechanism for dealing with such players.
ZFR: ... except against an Innocent Child ;)
You can still lynch them if you want.. :P
Hey, I voted for him!
adaliabooks: It's a game, you play it the way you play. It's not the way everyone else plays, but it happens to work for you and if you're enjoying yourself I see no issue with that.
We've had many players over the years who either through choice or circumstances don't post all that much during a game (CSPVG and QuadrAlien come to mind) and I find it a little sad if we start to say that people can't play because their playstyle doesn't meet some kind of criteria.
If a player seems to be evasive and not contributing then the answer is to lynch them, the game literally provides a mechanism for dealing with such players.
Yep. There usually is even a rule about that:

Remember it’s just a game. Be polite and remain calm. Anyone not being polite is just trying to get you to make a mistake so they can lynch you. Don’t fall into the trap. Politely lynch them or night kill them for their rudeness.
adaliabooks: Personally I think Poppy was entirely in the wrong in what she said to you in game.

It's a game, you play it the way you play. It's not the way everyone else plays, but it happens to work for you and if you're enjoying yourself I see no issue with that.
If a player seems to be evasive and not contributing then the answer is to lynch them, the game literally provides a mechanism for dealing with such players. [...]
^This.

adaliabooks: [...] It would be a shame to lose you but I also understand if you feel that stepping back is the best thing to do so other people can enjoy the game. I think our games will be poorer because of it but I understand.
^So much this.

Well, ignoring someone is still an option.
So, here is a question that came to my mind while I was preparing the setup for my previous game:

What happens when mafia can't reach a consensus regarding NK? In all the 54 games on GOG this never has been an issue?
(and in all the thousands of games outside GOG? I find it hard to believe such a situation never happened, yet looking through mafia wiki I can't find any information on how this should be resolved).

Thanks!
Post edited October 17, 2018 by ZFR
ZFR: What happens when mafia can't reach a consensus regarding NK?
no night-kill.

or immediately kill all mafia players.

even chance for each option
While I'm hesitant to stick my nose in at all, I don't think the concern is flub's "playstyle," but rather a perception, right or wrong, that another player is getting elbows up on purpose in a way that is outside the spirit of the game.

Yes, yes, there is the rule about politeness as an ideal, but let's face it - these games can be intense, and drawn out, and emotions do sometimes run hot. Speaking for myself, I lost my temper at a player who shall not be named once for playing what I perceived to be out of bounds, and I've also managed to aggravate at least one other player for same without intending to.

Sometimes the right answer might be to step away (either aggravator or aggrieved), but sometimes the answer is to say either:

a) hey, I wasn't trying to get to you - I'm really sorry it came across that way and it wasn't what I meant, or
b) yes, I was absolutely trying to get to you, but I'm sorry it had that impact and I'll try and be more aware.

Again, not trying to take sides, but my personal opinion is that if you have managed to get someone's goat, avoidance doesn't do more than push the problem away temporarily.