It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm ok with banning someone if they build up a document-able history of genuine, remorselessly abusive behavior...

However... heated debates, differing opinions and a little name calling and/or smartassery is something everyone should learn how to deal with... if this place turns into a hugbox where someone can be banned simply because they once hurt someone's feefee's, I'll see myself out and stick to the games library.
Post edited November 28, 2016 by ReynardFox
high rated
fables22: Well, the problem here is that, as far as I know, the forum was never expected to become an actual community. Years back, it was solely a platform form people to ask questions/offer advice regarding games. Most of the technical problems we're dealing with here now stem from this.
I'm afraid that however you came about this knowledge was a very poor method. Try taking a look back at the early days of the forum. It was a community back then too, I know because I was there, in fact GOG even went so far as to highlight the "classy community" as part of their unique experience. There were fewer of us, it was focussed around classic games, so it tended to be an older and more nostalgic user base. As a result it was not a problem to self manage it, however it was evidently a community when I first encountered it during the beta phase, and I suspect right from launch.
fables22: Well, the problem here is that, as far as I know, the forum was never expected to become an actual community. Years back, it was solely a platform form people to ask questions/offer advice regarding games. Most of the technical problems we're dealing with here now stem from this.
wpegg: I'm afraid that however you came about this knowledge was a very poor method. Try taking a look back at the early days of the forum. It was a community back then too, I know because I was there, in fact GOG even went so far as to highlight the "classy community" as part of their unique experience. There were fewer of us, it was focussed around classic games, so it tended to be an older and more nostalgic user base. As a result it was not a problem to self manage it, however it was evidently a community when I first encountered it during the beta phase, and I suspect right from launch.
Spot on post imo.
fables22: I realise this isn't much and unfortunately I don't have much yet to show for it, but thought I'd let you know anyway, so you know I've not just been twiddling my thumbs...
Just wanted to let you know that I for my part appreciate that you keep is informed. Since communication was rather lacking in the last years. So even if there are no direct results to show talking to us and letting us know you are trying is a good thing in my opinion.
fables22: I realise this isn't much and unfortunately I don't have much yet to show for it, but thought I'd let you know anyway, so you know I've not just been twiddling my thumbs...
moonshineshadow: Just wanted to let you know that I for my part appreciate that you keep is informed. Since communication was rather lacking in the last years. So even if there are no direct results to show talking to us and letting us know you are trying is a good thing in my opinion.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
ReynardFox: I'm ok with banning someone if they build up a document-able history of genuine, remorselessly abusive behavior...

However... heated debates, differing opinions and a little name calling and/or smartassery is something everyone should learn how to deal with... if this place turns into a hugbox where someone can be banned simply because they once hurt someone's feefee's, I'll see myself out and stick to the games library.
But why should they when there's the illusion of safety that safe spaces provide? Simple question but tough to answer, since we're essentially breeding an entire generation of young people who think that the law exist solely for the purpose of removing unwanted words/views/religions/political opinions/slogans/poor taste in art/worst music from their lives?

Or to clarify through abbr.

"Wish in one hand, shit in the other. See which one gets filled first."
ReynardFox: I'm ok with banning someone if they build up a document-able history of genuine, remorselessly abusive behavior...

Emob78: But why should they when there's the illusion of safety that safe spaces provide? Simple question but tough to answer, since we're essentially breeding an entire generation of young people who think that the law exist solely for the purpose of removing unwanted words/views/religions/political opinions/slogans/poor taste in art/worst music from their lives?

Well, I think that goes back to the hate speech debate we had previously. Heated debates and differing opinions do not necessarily have to constitute hate speech. They can, but they don't have to...
Emob78: But why should they when there's the illusion of safety that safe spaces provide? Simple question but tough to answer, since we're essentially breeding an entire generation of young people who think that the law exist solely for the purpose of removing unwanted words/views/religions/political opinions/slogans/poor taste in art/worst music from their lives?

fables22: Well, I think that goes back to the hate speech debate we had previously. Heated debates and differing opinions do not necessarily have to constitute hate speech. They can, but they don't have to...
And yet time and time again humans feel the need to take something purely subjective and apply moral absolutism to it.

Hate speech. Interesting term. Not only is it subjective, but a bit of an oxymoron as well, since after all we usually don't have much to say to those we truly hate... speech being an effort of human CON-course, rather than DIS-course.
fables22: Well, I think that goes back to the hate speech debate we had previously. Heated debates and differing opinions do not necessarily have to constitute hate speech. They can, but they don't have to...
Emob78: And yet time and time again humans feel the need to take something purely subjective and apply moral absolutism to it.

Hate speech. Interesting term. Not only is it subjective, but a bit of an oxymoron as well, since after all we usually don't have much to say to those we truly hate... speech being an effort of human CON-course, rather than DIS-course.
I disagree. Hate speech isn't subjective - it's something that's been defined and embedded in many legal documents - and from those definitions it also becomes quite clear that it is not an oxymoron. The problem with it is that the definitions vary slightly, but more importantly that people's perceptions of it vary a great deal.
Emob78: And yet time and time again humans feel the need to take something purely subjective and apply moral absolutism to it.

fables22: I disagree. Hate speech isn't subjective - it's something that's been defined and embedded in many legal documents - and from those definitions it also becomes quite clear that it is not an oxymoron. The problem with it is that the definitions vary slightly, but more importantly that people's perceptions of it vary a great deal.
Then as a duly designated authority of GOG, please feel free to set down arbitrary rules and sweep all these problems away. Even after 4 years here, I will be more than happy to take my subjective ass elsewhere. That's what happens when you go to these lengths.

I don't even need to get into specifics. We're talking meta points anyway. Just cut to the chase, Ace. If your planned goal here is to do away with the idea of an open forum, please say so. I can't tolerate censorship or tyranny, but I do appreciate honesty. Like any divorced couple, compromises and acceptance have to be reached. Just let me keep the car and I'll be on my way.
fables22: I disagree. Hate speech isn't subjective - it's something that's been defined and embedded in many legal documents - and from those definitions it also becomes quite clear that it is not an oxymoron. The problem with it is that the definitions vary slightly, but more importantly that people's perceptions of it vary a great deal.
Emob78: Then as a duly designated authority of GOG, please feel free to set down arbitrary rules and sweep all these problems away. Even after 4 years here, I will be more than happy to take my subjective ass elsewhere. That's what happens when you go to these lengths.

I don't even need to get into specifics. We're talking meta points anyway. Just cut to the chase, Ace. If your planned goal here is to do away with the idea of an open forum, please say so. I can't tolerate censorship or tyranny, but I do appreciate honesty. Like any divorced couple, compromises and acceptance have to be reached. Just let me keep the car and I'll be on my way.
awww, come on, chill out dude ;)

The CM doesn't even have mod tools (yet) and you're already going the drama queen way :o)
Emob78: Hate speech. Interesting term. Not only is it subjective, but a bit of an oxymoron as well, since after all we usually don't have much to say to those we truly hate... speech being an effort of human CON-course, rather than DIS-course.
Actually, that's a load of bollocks.
Studies have shown that love and hate are actually very similar and inspire the same kind of feelings and reactions. If you truly hate someone / something than you are just as likely to be as obsessed with it as something you love.
Therefore you are very likely so seek out and speak to / confront the object of your hatred.
Hatred is not apathy, you don't hate things you don't care about. You only hate things when you are truly passionate about them.
Emob78: Then as a duly designated authority of GOG, please feel free to set down arbitrary rules and sweep all these problems away. Even after 4 years here, I will be more than happy to take my subjective ass elsewhere. That's what happens when you go to these lengths.

catpower1980: awww, come on, chill out dude ;)

The CM doesn't even have mod tools (yet) and you're already going the drama queen way :o)
Well, for starters, I said before that I don't want to set out rules that the community doesn't agree with, hence why I've spent quite a lot of time trying to find out what it is that the community does want and agree with. As it happens, the rules are also already there, the problem is that because of years of neglect, they've never been enforced and in the meantime the forum seems to have turned into a place where people can get away with saying almost anything - that is where the problem is, for me anyways.
Emob78: Hate speech. Interesting term. Not only is it subjective, but a bit of an oxymoron as well, since after all we usually don't have much to say to those we truly hate... speech being an effort of human CON-course, rather than DIS-course.
adaliabooks: Actually, that's a load of bollocks.
Studies have shown that love and hate are actually very similar and inspire the same kind of feelings and reactions. If you truly hate someone / something than you are just as likely to be as obsessed with it as something you love.
Therefore you are very likely so seek out and speak to / confront the object of your hatred.
Hatred is not apathy, you don't hate things you don't care about. You only hate things when you are truly passionate about them.
I agree. By this logic, we would never have any issues with racism/sexism/homophobia/et al because people who are racist/sexist/homophobic/etc would just ignore the groups that they hate. Yea, right.
Post edited November 29, 2016 by fables22
low rated
deleted
Fairfox: GOGIE TYRANNY BECAUSE PEEPS CAN'T WRITE ANYTHANG THEY WANT.
next: lolspeak banned!
RIP Fairfox