It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Money...the universal language of the world. Why do we have to hate? Values mean little to corporations and shareholders, and from my observations of the world at large, My values mean little to a lot of people. We have to fight the wave, weather the storm, continue to stand up for what we believe. We don't want tyranny to win, do we? Fools, corporations, and autocrats to decide whether we are happy or sad, fed or starving, job or jobless. I sure don't. Our numbers can matter.
I doubt anything anyone does will change this little event and in a few months most will have forgotten all about this game most of us didn't even know existed (or cared). This is just another sign of the growing power of the few over all of us. Lets not give them more for they will take it all if we let them.
Just my two cents, and yes I'm sure its worth less than that to most, and that doesn't bother me.

Bad show GOG, I get it, you got mouths to feed too...but I'm sure most of your employees don't like it any more than any of us. So I guess, since they can't speak up, thank you for letting us speak up (so far). Peace to all and a Happy Christmas.
high rated
KOCollins: Money...the universal language of the world. Why do we have to hate? Values mean little to corporations and shareholders, and from my observations of the world at large, My values mean little to a lot of people. We have to fight the wave, weather the storm, continue to stand up for what we believe. We don't want tyranny to win, do we? Fools, corporations, and autocrats to decide whether we are happy or sad, fed or starving, job or jobless. I sure don't. Our numbers can matter.
I doubt anything anyone does will change this little event and in a few months most will have forgotten all about this game most of us didn't even know existed (or cared). This is just another sign of the growing power of the few over all of us. Lets not give them more for they will take it all if we let them.
Just my two cents, and yes I'm sure its worth less than that to most, and that doesn't bother me.

Bad show GOG, I get it, you got mouths to feed too...but I'm sure most of your employees don't like it any more than any of us. So I guess, since they can't speak up, thank you for letting us speak up (so far). Peace to all and a Happy Christmas.
Money is important yes. However, appeasing CCP is not going to make you money. Short term, yes, they'll say you can keep doing business if you self-censor a tiny bit. After a while, they'll tell you to self-censor the other tiny bit. Before long, you'll be reduced to an appendage of the party, a mouthpiece of the party, and you have lost all of your original value as a platform for creative entertainment of diverse cultures.

Trust me, there is no money to be made by dealing with the CCP. The CCP has every benefit. They're holding the Chinese market as hostage. The only strategy to make money is to ignore them.
high rated
So is there any evidence that these messages from "the gamers" even exist?

I don't even think there was an official announcement at GOG's Twitter, but I know Red Candle Games made one (and is still up as of this post.)
high rated
Might sound a bit cliched already , but I gotta ask wtf happened to you gog? Long time member here, used to go on the forums way back in 2009 . People would always talk about what a great company you were compared to steam, that you were great guys that genuinely cared about your customers. I always thought it was naive and I would occasionally remark on the boards something like "they are just acting like that because they are small/starting out and trying to win people over until they get really big. They will start doing some sketchy stuff just wait" . (Which is why I gave myself the tag "gog party pooper").

The point of that little story isn't to brag about how I was right, because even in my jaded pessimism, it turns out I was actually wrong. In reality you ended up being WAYYYY worse than I thought you would be. I guess I was naive just like everybody else.

The cyberpunk debacle, the "most requested feature for our client" bs and now this. I know this probably sound overdramatic, but it actually makes me feel a little queasy. And this part sounds like a lot of hot air too, but really I don't have much an urge to purchase your games anymore. Really the main reason the last few years I have been purchasing games from you isn't because I need games to play( i have like 1000 games in my backlog wtf do I need to buy more for?), I just liked supporting your store because I appreciated the drm free aspect, especially once you made the switch to include more recent games. I would buy games that I already owned elsewhere just to show support. But yeah man I think I'm good now. Thanks for the drm free games. The hundreds that I own from you should be good enough to last me without buying anymore unless you get your shit together
Post edited December 17, 2020 by CaptainGyro
kalirion: Wait to capitulate to commies, GOG.
BluesyMoo: Polish cultural norm
Well China hasn't mass murdered all of the Polish officers yet.
high rated
WOW GOG, you are on such a roll - why is it always a race to the bottom.

Yes, please listen to all these complaints from "gamers" and cancel this release. Guess all games must meet the CCP's approval going forward.

What a way to end 2020.
high rated
Lesser Blight Elemental: Between the killing of the downloader, the slow creeping compromises on DRM-free single-player games, selling DRMed Epic games through Galaxy, and now this, GOG are making it harder to like them with every month it seems. The only selling points left for me are the refund policy and the fact that they still offer offline installers. If they start messing with the latter, I'm out. I might already have left in disgust if I gave a damn about Cyberpunk.
I remember when they used to proudly boast that one of their "three pillars" was their stance against regional pricing. They even made a big graphic of said pillars and a page talking about it to remind people of it...then surprisingly shortly after that the compromises came and that was introduced, with something to try to mollify the customers they had promised the opposite to. Once that happened I have been worried of exactly what we have seen, one compromise after another until it is unrecognizable from what it used to be as good old games. I guess in future our games lists will need to be approved of by the CCP and it will be no different from any other platform apart from some curious back catalogue of old games lingering somewhere (assuming those don't get removed).
gamkuo: WOW GOG, you are on such a roll - why is it always a race to the bottom.

Yes, please listen to all these complaints from "gamers" and cancel this release. Guess all games must meet the CCP's approval going forward.

What a way to end 2020.
It couldn't be any more an ironic moment than after they release a dystopian world game like Cyberpunk they are censoring themselves and games like this. Don't let them try to pull off some nonsense over releasing a special censored version of the game either. That's even worse as it will set a precedent and eventually they'll be invivisibly censored and filtered to suit the CPP. It's the real deal and truth or bust.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Fezred
high rated
SmollestLight: We welcome civil discussions as long as they are that, civil. Refrain from using vulgar language and keep the discussion about the game.
What game? The one you guys just yeeted for absolutely vulgar reasons? There is nothing civil about GOG anymore, they've become absolute ethically bankrupt, corporate sellouts.

If you yourself have any moral fortitude, you make damn sure that the higher ups know what they've wrought and what their once loyal fanbase now thinks of them.

You want us to be civil? Tell the powers that be to lead by example.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by ReynardFox
high rated
I hate that GOG still hasn't made a statement, go on make it worse for yourselves.

The longer they wait the more their reputation falls.
high rated
Sad, but not unexpected. Yet another company decides it's more important to be a bootlicker to stay on the good side of the Chinese so as not to endanger that market.

If you even had the integrity to admit this, rather than blaming "gamers" (oh please!), I might not even care as much. After all, you're in this to make money. But don't lie to our faces like we're idiots.

Maybe I don't need to buy Cyberpunk 2077 after all. I'm not feeling very positive towards CD Projekt at the moment, and I've got plenty of other games to play.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by DutchGun
Usagi1030: Y'know, encouraging people to pirate 2077 and all future CDPR releases doesn't sound too bad of an idea now.
BluesyMoo: I'm actually thinking about what it might take to get Cyberpunk totally banned in China. There has to be something that insults the Chinese there. Get it banned, send in bootleg.
I heard from a friend of a friend who knows a guy that there's a mod that turns the main character into Winnie the Pooh. I believe they named it Hot Honey.

AINT SAYIN' IM JUST SAYIN', IF YA KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN' ;)
Why announce this game in the west and in China when I'm guessing not many people asked GOG for it, just to not release it a few hours later? It baffles me.

Could there be an internal power struggle? Wild guess, we'll never know anyway.
high rated
SmollestLight: We welcome civil discussions as long as they are that, civil. Refrain from using vulgar language and keep the discussion about the game.
Can you clarify a bit on the 'vulgar language'? Does that include references to GOG's glorious leader as Winnie-the-Pooh? Just wondering, as I wouldn't want to get banned again for potentially hurting someone's feelings.
low rated
Personally, I think the game should have been released, even with the offending material still present.
And because it has been removed anyway, even more reason to now release it.

That said, one would have to be a fool to ignore the power China have, and deliberately make themselves a target, especially in the current state the world is in.

So you can call GOG spineless and foolish, but really I suspect only that last word applies, and it applies to having considered releasing the game on the 18th without proper thought in the first place and initially agreeing to it.

Now you might disagree with me, but you should more fully consider things first.

GOG are currently and have been for some time, between a rock and a hard place I believe ... at least it looks that way to may of us.

GOG cannot afford to have problems with China on a financial basis alone.

If China used its might to attack the GOG website, what do you reckon will happen? Who will be the losers? Who will be most impacted? Who is going to come to GOG's rescue?
high rated
Timboli: Personally, I think the game should have been released, even with the offending material still present.
And because it has been removed anyway, even more reason to now release it.

That said, one would have to be a fool to ignore the power China have, and deliberately make themselves a target, especially in the current state the world is in.

So you can call GOG spineless and foolish, but really I suspect only that last word applies, and it applies to having considered releasing the game on the 18th without proper thought in the first place and initially agreeing to it.

Now you might disagree with me, but you should more fully consider things first.

GOG are currently and have been for some time, between a rock and a hard place I believe ... at least it looks that way to may of us.

GOG cannot afford to have problems with China on a financial basis alone.

If China used its might to attack the GOG website, what do you reckon will happen? Who will be the losers? Who will be most impacted? Who is going to come to GOG's rescue?
I'm just gonna say that this is nonsense. GOG doesn't NEED to do business with China. They WANT to business with China. I very highly doubt losing out on the bonus ChinaBux they so eagerly lust and sell out their morals for would kill CDProjekt.
And that last bit is spineless and useless cowering. "Oh, no! The militant Chinese will review bomb and post mean things like they always do! We have to bend over for them!" Ask how trying to placate them went for Hololive's Cover Corp recently. Giving in to the extreme nationalists just means that they'll use the opening to keep pushing and won't stop until you do everything they want.