It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Baggins: Can someone convince EA to sell to more than just on Origin?.
Pretty easy to do. Don't download their client, don't buy their games, and tell your friends. The more people that avoid them, the sooner they pull up to the DRM-Free table.
It's not going to happen of course, because some people just have to have that new, must-have game.
I don't use Origin. I probably lost track of any games they are making or have made because of Origin. That is to say it seems much of their marketing seems to be tied to origin' and not so much even physical market.
Both pre-orders and regional pricing are stains on the gaming industry in my opinion. I'd be much happier if GoG avoided it at all cost. I'd much rather you focused on stuff that directly benefits your customers, not the publishers.
Absolutely disgusting, not happy with finding an outlet for an ancient back catalogue which in reality they could never have sold before Gog, now they want to price them extravagantly as well.
Hell, this is what causes piracy in the first place, will these greedy, waste of space publishers never learn, or are they bound forever to be led by their greed and avarice.

now instead of getting something, they will get nothing, and even that is more than they deserve!
GOG.com: The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers.
Pre-ordering video games is detrimental to the industry itself as well as against the best interests of the gamers themselves.

"Pre-order doesn't mean s**t, Okay? When you pre-order a game you're just committing to paying for something that some a*******s in California haven't even finished working on yet! You know what you get for pre-ordering a game? A big d**k in your mouth"
- Cartman, South Park, Season 17 Episode 07
GOG.com: If you've been a member of the site for a long time,
I have, to an extent and I remember when the words GOOD and OLD were indicative of the GAMES that were for sale, as well as being in the domain name of the site itself...
GOG.com: We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com.
B******t. Your conclusions are all wrong.
Let me fetch you a URL, ah, here it is:
http://www.gog.com/wishlist
THIS is how you accomplish those goals. THIS is a better way.
There are easily 1)0+ games on that list alone...
And when you run out of wishlist items, there's the entire back catalog of many publishers that are negotiable- Hell you even finally got System Shock 2 on here, F**k yeah!

I'd happily continue to re-purchase games I already own with the DRM removed. Not to mention the fact that they come with compatibility updates already included which saves me hours of setup & config before I can even play the good older game from when the internet was still dialup...
GOG.com: We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!
Now you're just drinking the Kool-Aid...
DRM has always existed, and always will. Be it a question-answer check using a paper user manual or spin wheel from the days of 5.25" floppy disks, or a Installation/CD Key of the dial-up Bulletin Board / Internet 1.0 era...
The PROBLEM is that the DRM has become so DRACONIAN that George Orwell would even be awestruck.
Steam is the closest thing to 'tolerable' DRM... but even games on Steam still have other 3rd party DRM still attached...

Good Old Games are DRM free, and that is your place here in this market. because the Good Old Games are no longer economically viable to their IP holders, and abandoned for all practical purposes (no recent bug fixes, no Internet-based multiplayer support, etc.)

Oh, and by the way, GOG's fore into movies... Don't expect to get a single penny from me- there's other services that already fulfill that role- and do it better.

EDIT: fixed typos
Post edited September 03, 2014 by drivetheory
drivetheory: B******t. Your conclusions are all wrong.
Let me fetch you a URL, ah, here it is:
http://www.gog.com/wishlist
THIS is how you accomplish those goals. THIS is a better way.
There are easily 1)0+ games on that list alone...
And when you run out of wishlist items, there's the entire back catalog of many publishers that are negotiable- Hell you even finally got System Shock 2 on here, F**k yeah!

I'd happily continue to re-purchase games I already own with the DRM removed. Not to mention the fact that they come with compatibility updates already included which saves me hours of setup & config before I can even play the good older game from when the internet was still dialup...
Do you realize that not all wishlist games can be obtained easily because some IP holder outright refusal and copyright / legal doc scattered all over

drivetheory: Now you're just drinking the Kool-Aid...
DRM has always existed, and always will. Be it a question-answer check using a paper user manual or spin wheel from the days of 5.25" floppy disks, or a Installation/CD Key of the dial-up Bulletin Board / Internet 1.0 era...
The PROBLEM is that the DRM has become so DRACONIAN that George Orwell would even be awestruck.
Steam is the closest thing to 'tolerable' DRM... but even games on Steam still have other 3rd party DRM still attached...

Good Old Games are DRM free, and that is your place here in this market. because the Good Old Games are no longer economically viable to their IP holders, and abandoned for all practical purposes (no recent bug fixes, no Internet-based multiplayer support, etc.)
If so why games like fallout is forced to be removed from GOG and show up in steam?

Also are you ok with Origin is a few times more popular than GOG?
If anything for your own good you should exercise your caution with money on Origin more

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/186940/Defenders_Quest_By_the_Numbers_Part_2.php
Taking the data from 2013 Steam sold 20K copies of the same game while GOG sold 3K. Direct Sales is 12K, 4 time more than GOG.

So if Steam have 40M users, GOG should have 3M users based from the above statistic.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-responds-to-steam-sales-criticism/1100-6386601/
Now the Accursed Origin have 11M user.

I find it hard to believe myself that Origin have more users than GOG, and I know the actual numbers may very, but with numbers so large, even if Origin does not have around 4 times GOG customer base, it should have twice of GOG customer base.

drivetheory: Oh, and by the way, GOG's fore into movies... Don't expect to get a single penny from me- there's other services that already fulfill that role- and do it better.
It seems like GOG run out of ways to bring new hot games that they are looking for an alternative. Unless they can get good movies, not much interest will be generated
Fallout was removed because the rights to those games moved from Interplay to Bethesda, and GOG does not have a distribution agreement with Bethesda.
Gnostic: Do you realize that not all wishlist games can be obtained easily because some IP holder outright refusal and copyright / legal doc scattered all over
yes actually I do. which is why I was delighted to see SS2 available because i knew the hoops that had to be jumped through to get it on GOG. SS2 to this day is still one of my most treasured games (along with Thief 1+2 and Deus Ex... that was truly a magical era)

Gnostic: Also are you ok with Origin is a few times more popular than GOG?
If anything for your own good you should exercise your caution with money on Origin more
Steam =/= Origin. The only games in my own Origin account are games that aren't available elsewhere (ie. Battlefield). And of my games on Origin I got 10 for $5 in total, and 6 for free outright via daily/weekly giveaways... My Retail to Steam to GOG to Origin game ratio is 240:160:35:20. I'll address the Origin popularity later on.

I've watched 'Electronic Arts' of the 80s/90s transform into the EA of the 00s/10s... including their destruction of Bullfrong and Westwood along the way as well as the notorious 'ea_spouse' incident almost a decade ago now... Origin is the LAST place I go looking for games...

I vote with my wallet and I still haven't bought Starcraft 2 because of Bobby Kotick's decision to split it into 3 parts so they could charge 3 times as much for it... The irony of Activision of today having become the Atari of the early 80s that it rallied against back then isn't lost on me what so ever, but i digress.

Gnostic: I find it hard to believe myself that Origin have more users than GOG, and I know the actual numbers may very, but with numbers so large, even if Origin does not have around 4 times GOG customer base, it should have twice of GOG customer base.
I'm not surprised by any of this, this is EA we are talking about... EA has more money and more games. EA also actively advertises and many video game consumers are idiots (for lack of a better word). They blindly pre-order games, willingly pay more money for less game, have ever decreasing standards, and gobble up previously included content as separately purchased DLC with stupid mindless rallying cries like 'shut up and take my money'. EA knows this and EA exploits this (as do other publishers, EA is just the worst). I could go on further but that would be too off-topic for this thread..

Here on the homefront I'm having to deal with a similar family issue, the young one bought the Sims 4 with her money and was disappointed by all the missing stuff. I told her that EA took away all the content the game used to come with and is going to sell it as DLC instead so EA can get more money from her... Tough life lesson to let her learn but she'll be the wiser for it.

As you know, EA has been voted 'Worst Company in America' multiple years running. Though this award means nothing it's still amusing.

Gnostic: It seems like GOG run out of ways to bring new hot games that they are looking for an alternative. Unless they can get good movies, not much interest will be generated
GOG needs to do one thing and do it well, and that thing is be the beacon of light in the DRM sea. If a game is 10 years old or older GOG should be actively pursuing distribution agreements with the IP holders. I've still got 220+ retail games that still have some form of DRM that are at least 10 years old... Hell, I'd even repurchase on GOG games I already own on Origin/Steam just to get them DRM free.

GOG should be aggressively going after older games and patching them so that they are compatible with modern operating systems. As well, with the recent shutdown of Gamespy there are hundreds of older games that have zero multiplayer functionality now. If GOG could negotiate with the IP holders and work out a distribution deal that included minimally patching the games so basic internet based multiplayer works GOG would have another worthwhile attribute to attract new customers... GOG offering DRM free games with working internet based multiplayer (that formerly used gamespy) would be a headliner on every video game website on the internet I guarantee.

edit: fixed typos
Post edited September 09, 2014 by drivetheory
Nice to see more launch day releases. I often regret buying games on Steam only to see them appear on GOG weeks or months later... Some times I even end up buying them twice, which is wasteful.
Any chance of a pre-order for this?
TheEnigmaticT: DRM is explicitly a class of technologies that attempt to control the utility of a digital work after sale.
Hehehe.

If you don't know why I find that amusing, you haven't read the discussion between me and Judas.
Way to stamp and **** all over your promises. Fair price fair games, one world, Yeah? Remember that? Looks like you forgot, gog. Remember these? ww.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIYJ15CMbk ww.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P3yOTR2Vc&t=30m12s
"The moment we'll betray our values, the whole GOG will explode and that's the end of it."
you know since gog introduced regional prices i refuse to buy anything from them unless its on sale and the actual converted price is lower then what it normally is

for example i live in new zealand and i have to pay australian dollars

currently

1 Australian Dollar equals
1.05 New Zealand Dollar

1 US Dollar equals
1.28 New Zealand Dollar

4 months ago 1 australian dollar was 1.37 nz dollar where as the us dollar was 1.18 nz dollar

now because its aud i get conversion cost above it so a game that costs 10 aud will cost me 13.78 nz dollar instead of 10.46 according to conversion
now
1 Australian Dollar equals
0.81 US Dollar

so 10 aud is 8.15 us dollars

10 US Dollar equals
12.82 New Zealand Dollar

now i have seen a few games go for 10 aud and go for 10 usd (both the same game)
when i pay usd i dont pay all the extra cost as i pay a conversion cost from nz dollar to usd by default

that is for any transaction then when you add in an aud its from nzd to usd to aud and then a different pricing on it as well

so that 10 usd(or 12.82 nzd) that id pay normally if it was in usd becomes a total of 13.78 nzd if i pay via aud

anyways that aside what i want to see is countries like new zealand getting their own regional pricing and not australian's regional prices as quite often they suck and sure its called auz on websites like steam or gmg

but see for example the witcher 3 80.99 australian dollars would end up costing me 87,89 nz dollar i can get that cheaper here in the store 10 minutes from me (i can get it there for 81 nzd and thats without discounts i can get it down to 60 if i want to) or if i buy it from steam for 69.24 nzd

so please gog if you want to sell your values for money and to have more games atleast make the prices be fair after all why would i a gamer who goes through dozens of games a month be willing to pay nearly 90 dollars for a game that is offered on steam for 70 or in the local store for 60 or online on other sites for around 40

so please if you do start doing this on everything like you seem to be doing and ignoring the community on their anger at all of this atleast make it be fair for us

steam already shafts us often enough making games be 89.99 usd if they put on regional pricing where as in the states it goes for 50 and when that happens i buy it elsewhere and if i cant well i just wont play it till its on sale and down to atleast at 50 or less :/
tigartar:
You do know that you can choose to pay in USD right?
I use Origin for the stuff I can't get elsewhere. You can't really blame EA for not wanting to cut a percentage of a sale to someone else (Steam.. GoG..) just to distribute the game digitally. I wanted to play DA:I so I asked my wife to get that for me for Xmas. I don't really care what service it's on if it's only on one, I just want to play it, and that's the only way.

Given a choice I usually choose Steam first, just for the convenience and tight title update integration. GoG second. Everything else comes in varying degrees of last depending on how good a deal on the game it is or if said service is the only way to get the game, (new EA stuff or Blizzard..)