A weird town crouches, ominous, in the far reaches of an ancient steppe. It was once a small drover settlement, huddled around a monstrous abattoir--but something about the butchery it was near has changed it. It has developed a odd social structure over the course of several generations. It could have quietly continued along its weird way, but a sudden outbreak of an unknown and inevitably lethal disease has decimated the citizens. Prayers did not help. Science did not help. So, finally, they have turned to outsiders for help: three of them enter the town in hope of finding a cure or--failing that--an explanation. The first outsider was a ruthless investigator, assigned by local authorities. The second is a far-sighted Ripper who has used his extraordinary abilities to gain a reputation as an ingenious surgeon, who has come to the town in search of his father's terrible heritage. The third--and last--outsider is an eccentric girl rumored to have mystic healing abilities; she may become the town's salvation were it not for the constant fear that plagues her, the memory of the horrors of her recent past.
On the surface, Pathologic is a first person horror adventure game where you control one of three "heroes." Dig deeper, however, and you’ll find an experience that will affect your emotional and psychological state; you’ll find yourself in situations where morals and good deeds are meaningless in the face of raw despair and endless need. Talk to the denizens of the town and decide for yourself if you wish to ease someone else’s pain or save every bit of precious medicine to protect yourself from the invisible and inexorable plague. Become witness to the miasma of horror as the plague begins to overcome the town. Get ready for Pathologic. The show is about to begin.
Age requirements: PEGI Rating: 16+ with Bad Language, Fear, Violence.
Minimum system requirements: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, 2.4 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, DirectX 9.0c-compatible 3D graphics card, DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card, 2 GB HDD, Mouse, Keyboard.
Posted on 2013-03-28 08:34:26 bySplitter:
Please, if you've never heard about Pathologic before, go read some more about it.
It, of course, is an interesting game, diverging so much from the default characteristics of most games. It's a promising experience, no doubt. But it is also one of those hate-it-or-love-it games.
In my case, I didn't really hate it or love it, to be honest, but I understand why that is said aboutread more that game.
- The translation from russian to english is very bad, and the game is heavy on text. This hurts the understanding of what is going on, where you should go and what you should do
- As said above, the game is bad at conveying information, but no only about the plot and objectives, but also when it comes to the game mechanics. You're not made aware of the fact that surviving is very hard (e.g. you feel hungry so you need to buy food. I mostly got money from killing people, but only the ones that attacked me, so resources were scarce. On top of that, the economy changes every day, so you have to make difficult decisions on buying that expensive meat now or waiting for a better price)
- Overall the game flux is so different that you might have to start the game from scratch a few times before finally getting the hang of playing it right. It isn't uncommon to find yourself in a situation where all your saves will end up in disaster
By all means, give it a chance, but first now what you're getting into.
Was this helpful?(103 of 118 people found this helpful)
Posted on 2013-03-28 07:27:34 byMivas:
The game is a hidden gem. Sort of survival surreal thriller dragged down by brutal survival elements and punishing rare auto-save points.
- A lot of interactive characters around
- Many endings reflecting your actions
- Random encounters depending on day, day time and your actions
- Cryptic dialogues
- Heavy, mysterious atmosphere
- Avant-garde, very unique visual scenery
-read more Your progress saves only once in the beginning of day
- It's survival game at its finest. If you don't find enough supplements, you are screwed two later
If you are unsure, do yourself a favor and read Rock, Paper, Shotgun Butchering Pathologic series.
Was this helpful?(75 of 87 people found this helpful)
Posted on 2013-03-28 07:19:24 byWhiskeyOscar:
Sometimes being unique can be a bad thing, and sometimes it's not so bad. Here, it's like marmite - you either love it for the atmosphere, setting and quirky well... everything. Or you hate it for being something that's so different from the norm and you can't get into it.
For those with the patience to get into it and enjoy this unique, twisted gem it's well worth the time andread more effort, but if you prefer smooth polished experiences that don't stray too far from the accepted formula then this might be a leap too far.
Was this helpful?(54 of 69 people found this helpful)
See all user reviews (21)
© 2005-2013, Icepick Lodge