It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,
I've searched for this issue and tried the relevant work-arounds (Run as Administrator, ensure Texture Downscaling set to none etc) but none seem to have cured my issue. The textures appear inconsistently blurry - some assets seem to have beautiful hi-res textures, others are horribly blurry. I've taken some screenshots in the native resolution to illustrate the issue. Can someone tell me if this is still a recognised issue, to be addressed in the 2.0 patch?

Cheers,

Yum.

Screenshots (Native Captures with FRAPS)

Settings
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-22 18-59-39-12.png]Screen1[/url]
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-22 18-59-46-12.png]Screen2[/url]
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-22 18-59-52-51.png]Screen3[/url]

Witcher 2 Installation: Patched to 1.3.5
Hardware Stats: Pulled from Steam --> System Information.

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2698 Mhz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported

Operating System Version:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (6970)

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll
Driver Version: 8.881.0.0
DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1091
Driver Date: 28 July 2011
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x6718
Number of Monitors: 2
Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Desktop Resolution: 3840 x 1200
Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 16.65" (31.42" diag)
67.7cm x 42.3cm (79.8cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: -2048 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)

Memory:
RAM: 12285 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 1907632 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 821026 Mb
Steam Hard Disk Usage: 207592 Mb
OS Install Date: Jan 01 1970
Game Controller: None detected
Attachments:
settings.png (66 Kb)
Post edited September 22, 2011 by yumbelie
Looks like issue with steam patching!.
Anarki_Hunter: Looks like issue with steam patching!.
The hardware info was pulled from Steam to ensure as much detail as possible was provided but the actual game is a retail boxed copy; the Limited edition to be precise. My installed copy is in no way associated with Steam.

Cheers,

Yum.
Looks like a DOF screwup. See what happens if you disable Depth of Field features.

Only the developers could tell you whether this bug is "recognized" or scheduled to be fixed.

Lots of bugs affect only a small number of users and may be bugs in graphics cards, drivers, or shaders rather than in the game.
Post edited September 22, 2011 by cjrgreen
cjrgreen: Looks like a DOF screwup. See what happens if you disable Depth of Field features.
Definitely. Depth of Field will intentionally make distant objects look "out of focus" which will make their textures appear blurry. Turn it off to make everything nice and crisp.
cjrgreen: Looks like a DOF screwup. See what happens if you disable Depth of Field features.
Waltorious: Definitely. Depth of Field will intentionally make distant objects look "out of focus" which will make their textures appear blurry. Turn it off to make everything nice and crisp.
While some players enjoy this effect, it gets to be a problem when the game or the shaders or whatever try to guess what plane should be in focus, and they guess badly.
Waltorious: Definitely. Depth of Field will intentionally make distant objects look "out of focus" which will make their textures appear blurry. Turn it off to make everything nice and crisp.
Tried that, made no difference. For reference I turned off "Depth of Field - Gameplay", "Cinematic Depth of Field" and "Depth of Field - Cutscenes".

I can't really understand why my machine would encounter issues - it's deliberately cookie cutter (Intel Core i7, X58 Mobo, Ati 6970), and I can genuinely say I've encountered no issues with recent games (Space Marine, Deus Ex HR, even The Witcher: EE) - as close to the consoles 'fire and forget" experience as one can reasonably get with the PC platform. I suppose all I can hope for is v2.0 to address this issue...
Make sure everything in Catalyst Control Center is set to "Application Controlled" and that you aren't forcing anything.
Kleetus: Make sure everything in Catalyst Control Center is set to "Application Controlled" and that you aren't forcing anything.
Tried that, again - no difference. I can only assume it's something Witcher 2 doesn't like about my system since a friend has the game installed with a 5870 and has ultra sharp textures - they look insane.
yumbelie: Tried that, again - no difference. I can only assume it's something Witcher 2 doesn't like about my system since a friend has the game installed with a 5870 and has ultra sharp textures - they look insane.
Yeah the game looks great on my 5870 too, and I haven't heard of anyone else having the problem you are having... it's quite strange. I wonder if maybe you should try reinstalling the game? It could be worth running the installer as admin also.

Another thing you could try is turning some settings DOWN, just to see if the settings are affecting the textures at all. If you can identify which graphics settings actually change the game appearance that might help us troubleshoot it.
Not sure if you have this setting, but disable the option "MLAA and Surface Format Optimisation".

This is what usually causes blurry textures.
The blurry textures is not caused by MLAA (as per my knowledge), because the image asset mapped on the geometry model (specifically on Roche in the screen shot) itself appears to be lower in quality/texture resolutions.

@yumbelie,

1. can you set the game graphics settings to LOW (LOWEST)_ except resolution*
2. run the game by loading any level
3. Quit the game
4. Now set the graphics to 'ULTRA'
5. Try the game again!
Anarki_Hunter: The blurry textures is not caused by MLAA (as per my knowledge), because the image asset mapped on the geometry model (specifically on Roche in the screen shot) itself appears to be lower in quality/texture resolutions.

@yumbelie,

1. can you set the game graphics settings to LOW (LOWEST)_ except resolution*
2. run the game by loading any level
3. Quit the game
4. Now set the graphics to 'ULTRA'
5. Try the game again!
Tried exactly that, still no joy:

Settings - Low Settings
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-23 14-51-36-21.png]Screen 1 - Low Settings[/url]
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-23 14-51-46-04.png]Screen 2 - Low Settings[/url]
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-23 14-51-53-45.png]Screen 3 - Low Settings[/url]
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-23 14-52-56-85.png]Screen 4 - Low Settings[/url]
[url=http://www.sigmat.demon.co.uk/witcher/witcher2 2011-09-23 14-53-07-36.png]Screen 5 - Low Settings[/url]

Checked all the catalyst settings, and - as far as they can be tweaked - they are correct for application centric control:

ATI Catalyst Control Panel

Any more ideas?

Cheers,

Yum.
To be honest it seems that some of the high resolution textures that are supposed to replace the small and fast ones, are missing. Seeing as you are running the steam version, have you tried to verify the integrity of the game cache?
(Right click game in library, choose local files tab and click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" button).

EDIT.
Well, either that or the textures arn't getting loaded correctly into memory.
Post edited September 23, 2011 by senbon
Have you tried to degrag de hard disk?