It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

I recently purchased TWEE - retail edition. I want to play the game on 640X480 resolution. I play on a CRT to avoid eyestrain.

This is my config:
ViewSonic 17" CRT
intel i7 (2015 edition)
Geforce Titanx
Asus Motherboard
16 gb gskill ram
60gb SSD
LG SATA DVD R
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit

My PC is not connected to the internet, getting a dump across will be difficult, but this should broadly be the config.

There is no formal option in the game settings panel so I tried to enforce the resolution through registry tweaks, but the game resets to native resolution (1024x768 - I think).

Please help!

Also, am unable to register the back up copy on GOG using the registration key provided in the guide that shipped with the game. Am confused if this is the code.
Post edited August 30, 2015 by 7PCGamer
Well the problem lies in the fact you're using dinosaur age technology. These games are not meant for that. Avoiding eye strain by playing on a piss poor resolution. Is it just me that does not get it? Wouldn't spending money on a proper high quality monitor eradicate that issue?
darthspudius: Well the problem lies in the fact you're using dinosaur age technology. These games are not meant for that. Avoiding eye strain by playing on a piss poor resolution. Is it just me that does not get it? Wouldn't spending money on a proper high quality monitor eradicate that issue?
Okay
darthspudius: Well the problem lies in the fact you're using dinosaur age technology. These games are not meant for that. Avoiding eye strain by playing on a piss poor resolution. Is it just me that does not get it? Wouldn't spending money on a proper high quality monitor eradicate that issue?
7PCGamer: Okay
If you're being serious, a high res monitor and an eye sight test would do you some good. I get eye sight strain also.
When was the last time you tried using a flat screen? And how exactly did you figure out flat screen displays cause more eye strain?

Because...

I mean, based on your config, you clearly have money - get a quality flat screen. Your eyes will feel a lot better. Honestly, no matter how much I'm searching, I can't find a single piece of evidence suggesting CRT would be more beneficial to eye than modern flat screens - how did you even obtain that information?

Anyway, as an answer to your question, I don't think there's a way, not a reasonable one anyway - it would completely break the UI. Sorry.
Post edited August 30, 2015 by Fenixp
Fenixp: When was the last time you tried using a flat screen? And how exactly did you figure out flat screen displays cause more eye strain?

Because...

I mean, based on your config, you clearly have money - get a quality flat screen. Your eyes will feel a lot better. Honestly, no matter how much I'm searching, I can't find a single piece of evidence suggesting CRT would be more beneficial to eye than modern flat screens - how did you even obtain that information?

Anyway, as an answer to your question, I don't think there's a way, not a reasonable one anyway - it would completely break the UI. Sorry.
Yes - I think I am borderline - need an eyetest, but can manage comfortably without glasses and, would like to keep it that way. The problem is not the high res as - is its hi res on small sized monitors. Unfortunately, one cannot play a PC game on a Sony Bravia meant for living rooms, its a close-up affair (I don't have much of a eyestrain while watching on large screen LEDs like Sony Bravia for ex. from a distance). Btw I have a 18.5 inch led monitor, have two options 1) native resolutions - where all things look small, this is the source of eyestrain 2) smaller resolutions, that results in two problems either the screen doesnt fill completely (things look even smaller) or the blur associated with image scaling, that looks too bad (worse than 640X480) and causes massive eyestrain. And I have come to like the 4:3 aspect and wouldn't like to trade it away in anyway - atleast till my CRT lasts :) (not mine btw - had to fish out a CRT from one of my older cousins for the same am happy and comfortable with the same.)

Would be willing to try out the solution you might have - will have to do with hotkeys if it breaks the UI. Have done a similar downscaling of KoTOR, they too didn't have a 640X480 option, there was something about these files in the Override folder, got the UI working with one of the Bioware editors. Would be extremely thankful for the solution.

Best regards.
Post edited August 31, 2015 by 7PCGamer
7PCGamer: ...
All right, just tried the change, and sadly at a resolution this low, the game just keeps reverting to default. If you wanted to do your own experiments, the resolution setting is located via regedit (press win+r key, type regedit and press enter if you didn't know). Then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT USER > Software > CD Projekt RED > Witcher > Settings - there ar VideoModeHeight and VideoModeWidth settings. As I said tho, Witcher flatout refused to accept 640x480.

Alternativaly, if font size is the main concern, you can try out this mod.
7PCGamer: ...
Fenixp: All right, just tried the change, and sadly at a resolution this low, the game just keeps reverting to default. If you wanted to do your own experiments, the resolution setting is located via regedit (press win+r key, type regedit and press enter if you didn't know). Then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT USER > Software > CD Projekt RED > Witcher > Settings - there ar VideoModeHeight and VideoModeWidth settings. As I said tho, Witcher flatout refused to accept 640x480.

Alternativaly, if font size is the main concern, you can try out this mod.
I am restless to play this game. Thanks for the tip - have already tried it (its in the OP). I believe, will have to change some HEX values in the exe to make this happen - that was how I did it for KoTOR (don't think there will much difference between these engines), fortunately someone had made this uniws package that automatically configured the exe for KoTOR. More than the fonts it just this extra effort I have to undertake for focusing on small icons, small everything that results in a bit of squinting - no such thing happens on the CRT.

Will keep searching, if you come across any other solution will be eager to hear.

Thanks for helping out.

Best regards.
Post edited August 31, 2015 by 7PCGamer
So from what I read, all you need is glasses.
7PCGamer: I am restless to play this game. Thanks for the tip - have already tried it (its in the OP).
Sorry, completely forgot about it in the OP :-/

Anyway, that's all I can find really. Seems the game just won't accept 640x480 and keep running - couldn't locate anything to fix that in the game's .exe. You could try finding somebody better at hex editing tho, I'm not all that experienced in the area. I would really be not surprised if the game did not run at such a low resolution at all tho - CD Project revamped most of the engine's renderer, and 640x480 really is a dinosaur age resolution to strive for.

Sadly, I couldn't find any mods to scale entire HUD outside of fonts either.
7PCGamer: I am restless to play this game. Thanks for the tip - have already tried it (its in the OP).
Fenixp: Sorry, completely forgot about it in the OP :-/

Anyway, that's all I can find really. Seems the game just won't accept 640x480 and keep running - couldn't locate anything to fix that in the game's .exe. You could try finding somebody better at hex editing tho, I'm not all that experienced in the area. I would really be not surprised if the game did not run at such a low resolution at all tho - CD Project revamped most of the engine's renderer, and 640x480 really is a dinosaur age resolution to strive for.

Sadly, I couldn't find any mods to scale entire HUD outside of fonts either.
Me too tried it - couldn't find keys related to resolution, 768 1024 in HEX was the closest (tried the dlls as well) but didn't make sense. 90 hrs of gameplay with a bit of eyestrain :(. hope the game lives upto the hype unlike Assassin's Creed. 800x600 it is then for now.

Yup realized that the engine has changed, OpenGL to D3D is a big change.

Btw is there a way to bypass the Tages installation on the bonus disc. Realized that patch 1.5 rids the game of this - on my laptop where I test out games it has resulted in a non-functional driver and an unnecessary pop-up everytime I boot up the computer. I tried uninstalling the drivers by using the latest tages installer - no avail.

Thanks much for helping out.

Best regards.
I think I have figured out a luc file hwdepsettings.luc that forces resolutions >=800, >=600. Now the problem is that the decompiler is not very effective at decompiling these files (luadec 0.6), have come across for loops with no instructions under them - something like for ... do,<nothing in between> end in the decompiled versions. Is there a source code available for these files?