It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Azrapse: I really like it!
I would make some modifications, though:
Speed axis should go from 0 to MaxSpeed, where MaxSpeed is the top speed that ship could reach by diverting all power to engines.
On the vertical axes, I would leave it from 0 to 100, since no other ships in the game, other than the player's, ever goes past 100.
For custom missions or game modes where we allow the AI to surpass 100% shields, I would just recolor the overflow, or make it have another bar immediately next to it for values 100 to 200. That would make better use of the screen space.
I think the part where you wrote "Sienar TIE/LN" needs to house, instead, the other information like current order and ETA.
I just fear that this will look two crowded or unreadable at these font sizes.
scotsdezmond: Well the design was just a bit of fun on my part, and an effort to address the question of what it would look like with a design that merges the original X-Wing with the later games.

I put together an updated mockup based on your feedback (although I'd put the TIE Interceptor at 110 from memory, which may or may not be correct, plus would have been based on TIE Fighter rather than X-Wing ;-) ). I think the overflow is a good idea - a lighter blue bar could overlay on top of the existing bars and would maximise space.

I agree that readability could be a bit of an issue - I think that this type of design would work quite well for high-res monitor setups, but I imagine it would be a bit trickier at 800x600! At that point, the choice of font and rendering method would be quite important, I expect.

For this particular example, I've used Profont which I've mentioned previously, which looks quite close to the original - although I didn't realise how blocky it gets at larger sizes until I did the mockup.

However, I think that the really important aspect of whatever font is eventually used (in whatever targeting computer design is used in the actual release) is that it is monospaced - from a UI standpoint, this actually makes things easier since you can control the format of the string yourself - since you know exactly how many character spaces you have to work with. It also fits quite nicely with the military computing aesthetic.

I've also included an extra version where the ETA is formatted differently - this would be a static counter (and I believe a safe position given the limits on the number of F/G name characters in the original game)
I like your mockups very much.
About the font, I do not really want to use one that is bitmap based. I don't want to show artificial pixels.
However, I have found the way to use both dynamic and monospaced characters in the same text, so I am changing all digits (distances, speeds, ETAs, etc) to use monospaced characters, while the words use dynamic fonts. So it will be a mix of both.
I really want to try implementing one of these mockups. It looks closer to the original, it isn't a copy/paste from TIE Fighter, and the bars could help with legibility during combat.
Apologies if this is the wrong thread to put this in, but I just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors for this epic mod.

It is a mammoth task, but I am so glad someone's doing it! X-Wing was the first game I bought on PC and it has such strong memories, even now.

Well done to all of you, especially Azrapse for all your hard work.
Any idea what the system requirements for this mod will be? Or is it too early to tell?
Nemesis44UK: Apologies if this is the wrong thread to put this in, but I just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors for this epic mod.

It is a mammoth task, but I am so glad someone's doing it! X-Wing was the first game I bought on PC and it has such strong memories, even now.

Well done to all of you, especially Azrapse for all your hard work.
Thanks, but it wouldn't have reached this far if not by the effort of everyone involved! Thank you, guys! :)
Any chance of a new video? Lol just kidding. last one was awesome. I know you guys are working hard at this. Keep up the good work.
romeo_charlie: Any idea what the system requirements for this mod will be? Or is it too early to tell?
I suspect it's too early to tell, but probably modest. The AI and physics date from 25 years ago, so it's probably down to the geometric complexity of the models.
romeo_charlie: Any idea what the system requirements for this mod will be? Or is it too early to tell?
JKing: I suspect it's too early to tell, but probably modest. The AI and physics date from 25 years ago, so it's probably down to the geometric complexity of the models.
Good point. I built a PC about five years ago that I'm confident it will run on. I'm more curious if it would be possible to run it on a Surface Book with i5 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GPU.

Or if it would run on the new Surface laptop coming out...

Again, I know it's probably way too early to tell. Just thought I'd ask.
JKing: I suspect it's too early to tell, but probably modest. The AI and physics date from 25 years ago, so it's probably down to the geometric complexity of the models.
romeo_charlie: Good point. I built a PC about five years ago that I'm confident it will run on. I'm more curious if it would be possible to run it on a Surface Book with i5 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GPU.

Or if it would run on the new Surface laptop coming out...

Again, I know it's probably way too early to tell. Just thought I'd ask.
I cannot really say. We are adding eyecandy all the time, lately, and that will of course increase the requirements.
We will try to add sliders and checkboxes to a Video Options panel so that people can disable or enable the graphic quality until it runs comfortably in their systems.

Just as an example, my computer is from 2009, an i7 990 processor, with 8GB RAM and a 660 GTX Geforce CPU.
It runs it at some consistent 70 frames per second while debugging in the editor environment (that is much slower than the real builds). I don't want to promis anything, though.
Once we release the demo, we will get a better idea of how it performs in more diverse hardware.

It is obviously going to use more RAM than the 1993 game, because only the textures of the clouds on one planet is bigger than the whole installation of X-wing Floppy. And the music is now sampled at nice quality, instead of being synthesized on the fly from a MIDI, so all of those samples need to go to RAM or you'd get hiccups in the audio playing if you need to load them from disk.
rkinkjr: Any chance of a new video? Lol just kidding. last one was awesome. I know you guys are working hard at this. Keep up the good work.
Lately, I have been mostly working on the briefings. Reading the briefing files from the game, creating a presentation and animation system for it so that it looks like in the original. Opening the voice files and playing them at the right times during the briefing, etc.
It's working at 100% now, and it even has a couple extra features not present in the original, but it's not really much for showing.
I don't have any 3D model of the briefing room environment (we need artists to do this) so for now the map, the controls and the texts appear in abstract virtual panels in a grey room. And Dodonna and Ackbar are visually absent, you can only hear them.

So even when I am proud of getting the briefing programming complete as a programmer, I am not sure I want to show how they look until we have something prettier where to place all the components.
@Azrapse, that sounds really awesome. Really looking forward to seeing this.
Work on the new cargo container model continues:
http://i.imgur.com/ouYSrBP.jpg
That looks awesome!
very nice cargo container. I like the hatch lights or docking clamp lights?
Post edited May 28, 2017 by rkinkjr
Hey XWVM team, one of my favorite missions in this game is from tour 1 and I believe mission 3. Correct me if I'm wrong there. I love the evacuation of the rebel fleet and the Star Destroyer popping up behind the rebel fleet. Definitely will be nice with the planet in the background. I can just see those ships in my mind with updated movie quality graphics. I know it will be awhile before we see that mission, and I know you guys are working hard and are really doing a great job.
Post edited May 28, 2017 by rkinkjr
Laserschwert: Work on the new cargo container model continues:
http://i.imgur.com/ouYSrBP.jpg
I absolutely love the docking hatch. Very, very cool.