It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

That's a question for players who already played the game. Which one do you prefer? I don't care that much about graphics but I know that there are other minor differences.

which we don't have for some reason :/
KORraN: That's a question for players who already played the game. Which one do you prefer? I don't care that much about graphics but I know that there are other minor differences.
I've played the original diskette version (and all expansions), the CD-ROM version and the updated 1998 version. The differences as I remember them are:

- 1993 diskette version
+ iMuse interactive music!
- inferior visuals

- 1994 CD-ROM
+ some added voice and such over diskette version

- no iMuse
+ superior visuals (640x480)
+- some missions altered to be a bit easier as I remember

In my personal opinion the 1994 CD-ROM version would be the definitive version, it is too bad we don't get that here.
KORraN: That's a question for players who already played the game. Which one do you prefer? I don't care that much about graphics but I know that there are other minor differences.
cschock: I've played the original diskette version (and all expansions), the CD-ROM version and the updated 1998 version. The differences as I remember them are:

- 1993 diskette version
- inferior visuals

- 1994 CD-ROM

- no iMuse

In my personal opinion the 1994 CD-ROM version would be the definitive version, it is too bad we don't get that here.
- 1996 Macintosh CD-ROM
+ iMuse interactive music
+ added voice and sound
+ mouse and joystick support
+ TIE Fighter graphics engine
- none to the game, but it only runs on System 7 or Mac OS 8
Post edited October 28, 2014 by Atlantico
cschock: I've played the original diskette version (and all expansions), the CD-ROM version and the updated 1998 version. The differences as I remember them are:

- 1993 diskette version
- inferior visuals

- 1994 CD-ROM

- no iMuse

Atlantico: - 1996 Macintosh CD-ROM
+ added voice and sound
And the Macintosh version required an ADB connection joystick. You could play with mouse and keyboard...but so terrible. After playing the DOS version, I noticed there are less in-between cutscenes (flying to bases/ships) and a little more concourse announcing. It does look better, graphically.
Post edited October 29, 2014 by bzrro20
Atlantico: - 1996 Macintosh CD-ROM
+ added voice and sound
bzrro20: And the Macintosh version required an ADB connection joystick. You could play with mouse and keyboard...but so terrible. After playing the DOS version, I noticed there are less in-between cutscenes (flying to bases/ships) and a little more concourse announcing. It does look better, graphically.
It didn't require an ADB connection joystick, the game didn't interface with the joystick directly, it was done through Apple's GameSprockets (game device drivers) which then interfaced with the joystick.

USB joysticks worked just as well, as long as GameSprockets could interface with them. But that's neither here nor there, and I finished both games originally with mouse and keyboard. It wasn't terrible at all. IMO.
The 1994 version is the best, but since we don't have that, I like the 1993 version the best - let's be honest, the graphics are super old either way, and the 1993 version has the awesome dynamic music.
It's been so long since I've played this, and I don't think I even played it that extensively back when due to it being on loan from one of my brother's friends.

Anyway, so it's almost like taking a complete fresh look for me. I've been alternating between both versions for a good portion of the day, and ultimately decided that I like the '98 special edition better. It may have its flaws, but I definitely like it more.

All around I think the gameplay is just better in the XvT engine, and that is ultimately what matters most. Higher resolution makes a big difference in being able to recognize what is coming at me; not just a blob of pixels that are indistinguishable, which consequently makes it more difficult to aim at and hit. I'm also not fond of the originals odd targeting indicator ala red-blinking craft, whereas in the '98 one it uses the standard target box. I also have the distinct feeling that the controls in general are smoother in the latter. This may seem like a small thing, but being able to match a target's speed by the press of a button can be quite crucial. As far as I can tell, the original doesn't even have that kind of command; at least I didn't find any way to do that. It also helps that the newer engine makes the game look quite nice, too.

Yeah, so some of the upscaled blurry art (from the original low-res source) and some of the sterile environments in the special edition may look a bit pants, but that's the only really noticeable drawback for me. As for the music, that whole iMuse thing seems to make relatively little difference to me. The more static orchestral score works just fine for me.
Post edited October 29, 2014 by mistermumbles
Since I play with a joystick I'll stick with the later versions. Dosbox has fairly poor joystick support.
I don't have the GOG versions(yet, I will one day-this series is my kryptonite when it comes to backup copies, at least if I find them cheap).

What I have:

(Note my descriptions are a mix of what I've seen in this thread and personal experience)

X-wing

Original Floppy version + B-wing expansion(but not imperial pursuit =( ) - have boxes
-Farlander Papers
-Imuse Sound
-limited cutscenes I think
-lacking full voice work(if it has any at all)

Dos Collectors CD - 2 Copies - no boxes
-Imuse sound
-more cutscenes
-voice work
-tie fighter engine
-320x240 res

Windows collectors CD version - 2 copies(I think i could have sworn I had a third but no clue where it went right now) - no boxes
-static redbook audio
-higher res cutscenes but they might not include them all
-voice work
-XvT engine(advanced graphics effects not related to res)
-640x480 res
-both my copies had XvT flight school demo

Mac Collector's CD - 2 copies both with boxes
-imuse audio
-Higher res curscenes from the windows version(i think, last I played it seemed like there were a few less transitions)
-voice work
-tie fighter engine I think because of the imuse audio but
-640x480 resolution
-has option to play classic levels or the levels tweaked to be less difficult. I'm not sure which PC version had these first

Tie Fighter

No Original versions

Dos Collectors CD - 2 Copies - no boxes - 1 copy has a scratch that seems to ruin the disc from copying all the way but I can salvage all but a few files and I created a burned copy with files from other versions but I don't know if it's perfect, one version though seems fine though a little smudgy not enough to effect any copying
-imuse audio
-full cutscenes
-tie fighter engine
-full voice work
-I think the collector's edition is the only way to get the 2nd expansion tours
-Tie Fighter Engine I think
-640x480
-
Windows Collectors CD - 2 copies(but as with X-Wing I think I have a third somewhere) - no boxes
-red book audio
-I don't know if the cutscenes differ or not but they are hi res
-full voice work
-2nd Expansion
-SvT engine with some advanced graphics shading(not just res)
-640x480

Mac Collectors CD - 1 copy - have box (this was where I originally got the replacement files from for the burned copy though now I have a 2nd Dos Copy)
-imuse audio
-cuscenes like windows version I think(which may be the same as Dos)
-full voice work
-2nd Expansion
-Tie Fighter Engine (I think)
-640x480

X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter - 2 copies w/balance of power campaign - no boxes. One copy is 2 cds and then the 3rd cd for separate balance of power campaign and one somehow manages to be 2 cds only for both.

X-Wing Alliance - 1 copy - no boxes - 2 CDs I think.
Well, I have it now (again).
I am not sure what version I was playing back then. It was not the 98 version since this one looks new to me. It might be the 93 or so. Disk Version.

Anyway, everything looks good so far. I like the 98er of course a little better since the visual is upgraded. Although the sequences in between look strange since I have the other version in my head.
But flies great and have no issue so far.

Down the road I will get Tie-Fighter since this was actually my favorite game of all time. I always thought it was better.

I am sooooo glad that I can play this game again. To bad that it wasn't sold for a long time but now through GOG its there. Great. :)
Ravenvolf: Since I play with a joystick I'll stick with the later versions. Dosbox has fairly poor joystick support.
I tried it on the 93er. worked for me.
Post edited November 01, 2014 by yester64
I grew up with the 1994 CD-ROM version, bought and downloaded the 1998 version for the updated graphics. Lacking the iMuse dynamic soundtrack is kindof a bummer, but the redbook John Williams orchestrated soundtrack is good too. The improved graphics are... Improved, but otherwise the game is mostly how I remember it back in 1994. I hear the 1993 version doesn't have joystick support, and in a space sim, that's a deal-breaker for me. The 1998 version picked up and uses my joystick without a problem - even deadzone, sensitivity, and ramping are perfect!
for xwing i prefer the 1998 version, for tie fighter its a different story.

1. better visuals
2. better soundtrack (seriously, imuse in xwing sucks, sounds like there are just a few loops that are on repeat, gets very annoying over time), the original star wars score fits the rebels so much better.
3. some improvements in gameplay (little boxes around distant enemies, match speed setting, ...)
4. voiced briefings
Of the available versions, the things that the 1993 version have going for it:

* iMuse dynamic music
* Much more forgiving hitboxes

1998:

* Looping wav soundtrack - pretty much inferior in every way to iMuse, unless you REALLY like the SW S/T
* much tighter hitboxes (good or bad, depending on ones philosophy of such things)
* Voiceovers - better briefings
* Textured models, where 1993 looked like the original StarFox or Corncob 3D
* A few extra in-battle commands ("match speed with target," e.g.) missing from the 1993 version
* Much better support for modern joysticks.
* More missions (Includes Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing expansions).

It was the joystick and expansions that got me to settle on playing the 98 version.
geminidomino: 1998:

* much tighter hitboxes (good or bad, depending on ones philosophy of such things)
* Textured models, where 1993 looked like the original StarFox or Corncob 3D
Those two points are basically one point (better models were needed for tighter hitboxes). It's what made me install the '98 version. I'm planning to put lots of hours into X-Wing (going for perfection in every single mission, without backing up my pilot) and just don't want to deal with some of the older engine's quirks. Call me stupid, but I love to see how my laser bolts miss the solar panel's mountings of a TIE that's almost filling up my whole screen :D Especially when flying a X-Wing with lasers set to dual fire. That's what "immersion" means. Scoring hits while you're clearly missing is a huge immersion breaker for me.

geminidomino: * More missions (Includes Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing expansions).
I thought both versions came with all expansions?! oO