It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

StyleWan: The framerate will suffer seriously when using normal core.
tfishell: Would GOG actually be able to fix the AI bug without the source code? Because they don't have that. (Just fyi, I didn't check out the VOGONS link.)
The game is "bug free" for old system. This AI bug (so called) only appears when running the game in modern system.
Odd. I still can't see it in my accounts or anywhere else.
Dahorsh: Odd. I still can't see it in my accounts or anywhere else.
https://www.gog.com/account/refresh

tfishell: Would GOG actually be able to fix the AI bug without the source code? Because they don't have that. (Just fyi, I didn't check out the VOGONS link.)
StyleWan: The game is "bug free" for old system. This AI bug (so called) only appears when running the game in modern system.
I see.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by tfishell
...well damn. And four weeks after I bought physical copies of the CD-ROMs too. At least I have digital copies for backups now??? And I learned how to mess around with DOSBox settings to make a "portable" install folder to take around on my flash drive, so I guess it wasn't a complete loss.
tfishell: https://www.gog.com/account/refresh
Why the heck could I not find that.
Many, many thanks for that. It worked. :)
Try https://www.gog.com/account/refresh
Worked for those who couldn't find the DOS CD-ROM versions in their account.
Edit: Ninja'd
Post edited April 29, 2015 by ShadowOwl
Waltorious: Do the cycles no longer matter when running in normal core? Are they only used with dynamic core?
damson: They matter no matter ☺ what core you use. The difference is that normal core is slower (the program is interpreted instruction by instruction. This approach is a lot more CPU demanding than dynamic core but allows for a more fine-grained time emulation) while protected mode is faster (The program instructions are, in blocks, translated to host processor instructions that execute directly. In the most cases this approach is more efficent than interpretation, except for programs that employ massive self-modifying code). [info from DOSBox.conf manual]
I see. So does running in normal core but max cycles fix the AI turret problem? Or does it also require messing with cycles? I guess this is actually a question for teleguy.

Is normal core and max cycles better or worse than dynamic core and fixed cycles around 60,000?

I really should just test this myself, but I won't have a chance for a while (likely a few months) and I'm curious. I think it would be great if GOG users can find a consensus for the best settings to minimize the turret problems. Actually I should probably just start a new thread about this, sorry!
Not sure if this applies to everyone, but when I installed the X-Wing and TIE Fighter CD editions from GOG, the MIDI setting was on 4-OP FM by default for both games, not General MIDI like it was for the floppy versions. If you prefer General MIDI and want to change that, make sure to go to your start menu folder, click "Launch Settings," and it will launch the install program in DOSBox. For TIE fighter, click "Install" (not "Play" or "Exit,"), then go to the sound card set up. Change the menu to advanced, and the music setting will be on the left.

I haven't been able to get the GOG install to work with Gravis Ultrasound. I changed the setting gus=true and the directory set to "C:\ULTRASND" in the DOSBox configuration file, but no luck; the game just exits at the loading screen. If anyone finds a solution, feel free to share. In the meantime, I'm going to keep playing my existing installs from those CDs I bought off Amazon. Still glad to see GOG finally get these on their site and added them to owners' accounts.
JudasIscariot: It's in your accounts :D
It's not in my account , what do I have to do to get it there? Surely I don't have to rebuy the collection. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, refreshing account worked.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by Obviously
A tip for anyone who played on the 1998 version and now wants to switch to 1995 version: the pilots are compatible between these two. Just copy "YOURNAME.tft" from TIE installation folder to the new one.

As much as I have fond memories of the 1995 Collector's CD ROM version (bought it when it was new, played it through many times, still have the original box and everything) I have to admit that without nostalgia glasses the 1998 version is definetly better. I updated the soundtrack with instructions here on GOG.com forums and now the only thing it's missing is the iMuse. Just tested the 1995 and 1998 versions side by side on the same missions and the older one looked so much uglier by comparison, despite the SVGA graphics. The backgrounds between missions and during briefings are also better in the newer version. Sure, original is always original and some prefer it that way, but the superiority of the 1995 Collector's CD ROM is not that obvious even to veteran players as maybe thought based on the amount of negative feedback GOG.com got when it was not included.

Still, it's good that now you have a choice between all three versions and can decide for yourself which you prefer. I'm continuing my campaigin on the 1998 version, still a few battles to go, right now I'm on Battle XI Mission IV.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by Renki
Renki: ... now the only thing it's missing is the iMuse...
To me, iMuse is the SOUL of the game. Without iMuse, all upgrades are totally worthless.
Just saw that the Special Edition is in. Time to install and see what is all this about. I've been enjoying 1998 version for some time now.
The_Atomik_Punk: AMAZING job to both GOG and Disney!

Unfortunately, I don't see the 1994 version of X-wing Special Edition in my library, only the 1993 and 1998 versions- any help?

Edit: https://www.gog.com/account/refresh did the trick, I wonder why manually refreshing in the browser didn't update the library...
This solved my issue finding the Special Edition. Thanks!
damson: They matter no matter ☺ what core you use. The difference is that normal core is slower (the program is interpreted instruction by instruction. This approach is a lot more CPU demanding than dynamic core but allows for a more fine-grained time emulation) while protected mode is faster (The program instructions are, in blocks, translated to host processor instructions that execute directly. In the most cases this approach is more efficent than interpretation, except for programs that employ massive self-modifying code). [info from DOSBox.conf manual]
Waltorious: I see. So does running in normal core but max cycles fix the AI turret problem? Or does it also require messing with cycles? I guess this is actually a question for teleguy.
I just left cycles at max.

I checked with Fraps and there doesn't seem to be much of an impact on framerate but it's hard to tell for sure because FPS usually fluctuate wildly in Tie Fighter. I'm using the Daum build of Dosbox by the way because the version provided by GOG used to give me problems, don't know if that has an effect.
THANK YOU GOG!!!!!!!