It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fellow-gamers,

I bought Sim City 4 on GOG.com, supposing it would run Ubuntu Studio 14.04 (64-bit, low-latency) using Wine. I had this assumption while I already played other software that could run pretty smoothly, even though it wasn't officially stated it would run OK on a Linux system.

I wondered if there were other Linux users that bought this game on GOG.com and had troubles running the game on Wine. Or maybe no troubles at all.

I read on a review of the game at WineHQ and concluded there should be a possibility of running it, but my Google bubble and DuckduckGo results just give solutions from 2006 or 2007 and thus outdated solutions.

This is what occurred:

- Smooth install, with two run time error at the end.
- At startup, you can hear the (in)game music, but graphics go weird
- The graphics jump to 800x600px, all I can see is the desktop files including parts of other screens. When I click the menu item the music stops. Click again, music starts again. Sometimes I can see a zoomed-in view of the interface, but never usable and clicking menu items doesn't change the view. Change is audible though.

I tried installing the most recent Wine-version (1.74), no effect.
I tried configuring the startup-configuration for Simcity 4.exe but no effect.
I tried running through playonlinux, but that also didn't work differently.

If anyone has a clue, or knows where to find one, I would be happy to know. If I happen to find one in the meantime, I will let you know.
Dang. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the Kubuntu setup.

Unlike you I got a Windows XP partition.

I hope you can figure it out. It's gotta suck.
I just read Patrician 3 runs well in WINE. It's a strategy/simulator sort of like simcity.

Just throwing this out there.
Lachgast: Fellow-gamers,

I bought Sim City 4 on GOG.com, supposing it would run Ubuntu Studio 14.04 (64-bit, low-latency) using Wine. I had this assumption while I already played other software that could run pretty smoothly, even though it wasn't officially stated it would run OK on a Linux system.

I wondered if there were other Linux users that bought this game on GOG.com and had troubles running the game on Wine. Or maybe no troubles at all.

I tried installing the most recent Wine-version (1.74), no effect.
I tried configuring the startup-configuration for Simcity 4.exe but no effect.
I tried running through playonlinux, but that also didn't work differently.

If anyone has a clue, or knows where to find one, I would be happy to know. If I happen to find one in the meantime, I will let you know.
FYI: I installed SC4 using Playonlinux, and had no problem.

I'm using Mint 17.3 Cinnamon using Wine 1.9.1