It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Entropy: GOG's policy on DRM is merely that they don't use annoying forms of DRM. However, what you people don't understand is that GOG ITSELF IS DRM. ALL YOUR GAMES ARE TIED TO YOUR GOG ACCOUNT. YOU CAN'T SELL/TRANSFER THEM. THIS ENTIRE DISCUSSION IS MEANINGLESS.
Sorry, but this is completely wrong, and apparently you don't know what DRM really stands for.

All the games in GOG format are supplied as a self-sufficient package that works completely offline and is NOT TIED to any account, user machine or anything... it does not matter if i download the package from my account page, you account page, a torrent or whatever other source possible: as long as the operating system supports it, the package do actually works and install the game regardless and NEVER, EVER, CONNECT TO ANY EXTERNAL SERVICE to verify that the user is, indeed, authorized to run the software.

You have only a legal bind stipulated at the time of purchase, where the licence that you approve states, among the other things, that you are not allowed to resell or transfer... the point is, however, that this is NOT ENFORCED by any piece of software.

No Digital Management of the user Rights of any sort.
Post edited August 02, 2013 by Antaniserse
Entropy: You can resell Quake3 with it's cd-key on ebay.
Baggins: Uh cd-keys usually are registered to a name and account. If you resell a used cd-key it shouldn't be able to be reactivated on another account.
Un, [font=infinity]NO.[/font] That's not what a cd-key is. A CD-KEY is just that, a license KEY, which only acts as a receipt / proof of purchase. If a company ties the key to an account, then your ACCOUNT is the DRM, NOT the cd-key.

CD-keys were NOT tied to accounts at all, prior 2000.
Baggins: Related to this, most companies do not allow someone to sell or transfer accounts.
Accounts. You said it yourself. You are deliberately associating keys with accounts, when they are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.
cpc464: As for calling GOG DRM I guess all caps doesnt make that sarcasm??? because I mean you can download all your GOG games and have a copy that is outside you account you can keep forever even if you forget your password or something.
Baggins: To add to that all the downloaded copies could technically be given out and would work on other machines. They aren't tied to a account, they don't have watermarks that link them to a specific person.

GOG is relying on honesty and trust that people won't abuse the system. It happens, but most people probably respect it.
Honesty? How is any form of DRM HONEST? Giving away copies is one thing, because that's piracy, but selling or transferring your digital property to someone else is legal trade that falls under the first sale doctrine. People have sold old copies of software for YEARS over Ebay, but only recently with account based DRM has this changed. The problem here is that people just aren't standing up for their rights, and trading it for convenience.

I'd also like to point out that CONSOLE OWNERS are apparently more aware of their rights than PC Users, because when MS tried to implement account based DRM over the XBONE, the customer backlash was so large, they had to capitulate to their demands. PC users are just sacks of worthless jellyfish who'll take whatever abusive DRM is thrown their way. EA's Origin is a great example of this.

Another thing I just realized is that ROTT doesn't even ask for the key to play offline, so IMO, anyone whining about this key "drm", is merely a pirate who wants to play online without any anti-piracy measures.

I suppose according to this cd-key "logic", UT2004 has DRM, when it's a well known FACT UT2004 doesn't have drm. You people are either all whack jobs or pirates, I can't decide which. Maybe both.
Post edited August 03, 2013 by Entropy
Baggins: Does this mean its one of the first GOG games to have DRM?
When i saw this and the way the launcher was making calls to certain system DLL and DX hooks i moved the entire application into an isolated sandbox with zero system access and no internet. It booted fine ran fine and kicks BUTT! There is no form of call home or DRM that prevents this game from running single player on a fully isolated machine.

that said Defcon is the only game on GOG.com with forced internet component and that makes me sad :( Whether or not you consider "always online" DRM is up to you.
Post edited August 02, 2013 by Starkrun