It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mk47at: IMHO the best source port is Yamagi Quake 2. It started as a Linux only port, but it runs on Windows and OS X as well. But there are only Windows binaries. Linux and OS X users are expected to compile it on their own.
Crosmando: When using Yamagi with GOG's version the music doesn't work.
I don't know where GOG put the music, but Yamagi Quake 2 expects the music files to be named baseq2\music\02.ogg .. baseq2\music\11.ogg
mk47at: I don't know where GOG put the music, but Yamagi Quake 2 expects the music files to be named baseq2\music\02.ogg .. baseq2\music\11.ogg
and if it still won't work, try renaming / removing winmm.dll from Quake2 folder
mk47at: I don't know where GOG put the music, but Yamagi Quake 2 expects the music files to be named baseq2\music\02.ogg .. baseq2\music\11.ogg
Thanks, that worked fine. I just had to move the music folder and rename them from "track01" to "01" instead.
IronArcturus: So with the KMQ2 mod, it just works automatically with the Q2 expansions? Or does the user have to move the files around to get the mod to detect everything?
If I remember rightly, it uses the same folder structure as the original game, so you can just extract KMQuake2 over the top. Then you can use shortcuts with parameters to launch the expansions.

E.g.
C:/quake2/kmquake2.exe +set game xatrix
C:/quake2/kmquake2.exe +set game rogue

I'm not at my gaming PC right now to check those shortcuts, so the syntax might be a little off. I've also seen +game xatrix which may be identical just a few characters shorter.
IronArcturus: Is the Berserker mod for Quake II any good?
I think it's quite awesome. It's a resource hog though.
This solved my problem with the music not playing, now i've decided to use Yamagi myself. The other problem was the washed out texture colors, but I fixed that too by changing the "intensity" setting to "1" in the Yamagi config file. Now I prefer it to the 3.24 patch as the mouselook in 3.24 and original Quake 2 were just a little wonky to me and threw me off on my aiming, Yamagi fixed that too.
HI =)

I've looked into that KMQuake thingie, and it's amazing how the game looks neat ! I tried to put it on for the expansions, but all I could find was some Support and .dll's files, that don't seem to change the game the same way.

Could anyone please give some hints as to how get the same visuals for the Reckoning and Ground Zero ? Thanks !
IronArcturus: So with the KMQ2 mod, it just works automatically with the Q2 expansions? Or does the user have to move the files around to get the mod to detect everything?
korell: If I remember rightly, it uses the same folder structure as the original game, so you can just extract KMQuake2 over the top. Then you can use shortcuts with parameters to launch the expansions.
Ok, so I just installed Quake 2, then I installed the v3.24 patch and the KMQuake2 mod, but it just gave me a black screen. :( I couldn't even use Ctrl+Alt+Del, I had to do a hard restart. What went wrong? Is there a log I can read?
haydenaurion: This solved my problem with the music not playing, now i've decided to use Yamagi myself. The other problem was the washed out texture colors, but I fixed that too by changing the "intensity" setting to "1" in the Yamagi config file. Now I prefer it to the 3.24 patch as the mouselook in 3.24 and original Quake 2 were just a little wonky to me and threw me off on my aiming, Yamagi fixed that too.
Is there a compiled version of Yamagi for Windows?

Update: I've just found it on the website. It was listed in another part of the downloads.

Also, is there a way to get the Yamagi mod to show the movies? For some reason it keeps skipping them.
Post edited October 06, 2015 by IronArcturus
korell: If I remember rightly, it uses the same folder structure as the original game, so you can just extract KMQuake2 over the top. Then you can use shortcuts with parameters to launch the expansions.
IronArcturus: Ok, so I just installed Quake 2, then I installed the v3.24 patch and the KMQuake2 mod, but it just gave me a black screen. :( I couldn't even use Ctrl+Alt+Del, I had to do a hard restart. What went wrong? Is there a log I can read?
No idea. Had a look in my KMQuake2 installation (I don't have the GOG Quake 2 yet but I'll likely get it) and there are no log files that I can see.

For me, my kmquake2.exe is in the same location as quake2.exe (see my screenshot). So if your setup looks like that then I'd imagine it is fine, in which case if you still get the black screen error try contacting the author of KMQuake2. I remember I contacted him once about sound distortion in the movie playback, and that turned out to be a known issue that he hadn't solved at that point, but a later version fixed it.
Attachments:
kmquake2.jpg (99 Kb)
IronArcturus: Ok, so I just installed Quake 2, then I installed the v3.24 patch and the KMQuake2 mod, but it just gave me a black screen. :( I couldn't even use Ctrl+Alt+Del, I had to do a hard restart. What went wrong? Is there a log I can read?
korell: No idea. Had a look in my KMQuake2 installation (I don't have the GOG Quake 2 yet but I'll likely get it) and there are no log files that I can see.

For me, my kmquake2.exe is in the same location as quake2.exe (see my screenshot). So if your setup looks like that then I'd imagine it is fine, in which case if you still get the black screen error try contacting the author of KMQuake2. I remember I contacted him once about sound distortion in the movie playback, and that turned out to be a known issue that he hadn't solved at that point, but a later version fixed it.
Did you have to create a shortcut to run the main Q2 game? Also, did you use the Quake 3.24 patch before installing the mod?
IronArcturus: Did you have to create a shortcut to run the main Q2 game? Also, did you use the Quake 3.24 patch before installing the mod?
Yes, the 3.24 patch is present. You can see the readme file in the screenshot I posted. To run the main Q2 game I just use kmquake2.exe. I only have shortcuts for the two expansion packs.
IronArcturus: Did you have to create a shortcut to run the main Q2 game? Also, did you use the Quake 3.24 patch before installing the mod?
korell: Yes, the 3.24 patch is present. You can see the readme file in the screenshot I posted. To run the main Q2 game I just use kmquake2.exe. I only have shortcuts for the two expansion packs.
Is there shortcut command to run KMQuake2 in a window? I just want to make sure it's not going to crash the whole OS again.
korell: Yes, the 3.24 patch is present. You can see the readme file in the screenshot I posted. To run the main Q2 game I just use kmquake2.exe. I only have shortcuts for the two expansion packs.
IronArcturus: Is there shortcut command to run KMQuake2 in a window? I just want to make sure it's not going to crash the whole OS again.
Inside the baseq2 folder there is a kmq2config.cfg file where you can specify the settings.
In that file (edit it with a text editor) you can find the video settings as follows:

set vid_fullscreen "1" //set this to 0 for windowed
set r_mode "25" //this sets the resolution mode.

Now I don't know what the mode values are and I don't know if KMQuake2 uses the r_mode setting because I set that to 1680x1050 in the menu settings and I don't know if this is the correct r_mode value for that resolution. I don't think any widescreen resolutions were native in the original game, but KMQuake2 enables it and fixes the FOV, which usually is done by using an r_mode of -1 and setting custom width and height values, but the custom values in my config file are for 1600x1024, so aren't being used either.

So, you could try just setting the vid_fullscreen to 0.
IronArcturus: Is there shortcut command to run KMQuake2 in a window? I just want to make sure it's not going to crash the whole OS again.
korell: Inside the baseq2 folder there is a kmq2config.cfg file where you can specify the settings.
In that file (edit it with a text editor) you can find the video settings as follows:

set vid_fullscreen "1" //set this to 0 for windowed
set r_mode "25" //this sets the resolution mode.

Now I don't know what the mode values are and I don't know if KMQuake2 uses the r_mode setting because I set that to 1680x1050 in the menu settings and I don't know if this is the correct r_mode value for that resolution. I don't think any widescreen resolutions were native in the original game, but KMQuake2 enables it and fixes the FOV, which usually is done by using an r_mode of -1 and setting custom width and height values, but the custom values in my config file are for 1600x1024, so aren't being used either.

So, you could try just setting the vid_fullscreen to 0.
Can the set [vid_fullscreen "1" command] be used in a shortcut? Or does it only work in a cfg file?