It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CaptainElectric: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS PATCH.

Apparently the problem is on GOG's end. GOG's installer has a bug that is preventing a successful patch.

Dev response at the game's official forum:
http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=754&start=240#p19782
they dont put out patches but a fully patched install, hence the pointer to "reinstall". ive downloaded and reinstalled it without issues and its running perfectly fine outside from that litle hickup with the dll file wich can be manually fixed
For what it's worth - downloaded and running *without* having to do anything with files - it just worked.

I had uninstalled and reinstalled as told in the post (I'm on Win7 x64)
Just installed version 1.0.0.8, everything is fine here too. I've uninstalled previous version then installed the new one without deleting D3DX9_43.dll file.

I'm new to the board, by the way, so... hi everyone!
Post edited April 21, 2012 by SRK
Seems it's really important to manually uninstall first.

If you just re-download the master (v1.0.0.8) and do the normal install, it won't overwrite all the required files and keep reporting the game's version as 1.1.3. Furthermore, the uninstaller may no longer work at that point (happened to me), so you may need to manually delete the whole installed subdirectory.

Really, GOG's installer should be improved to do all the basic prep work for you.. including uninstall the previous version if it's really required.
Ridye: Seems it's really important to manually uninstall first.

If you just re-download the master (v1.0.0.8) and do the normal install, it won't overwrite all the required files and keep reporting the game's version as 1.1.3. Furthermore, the uninstaller may no longer work at that point (happened to me), so you may need to manually delete the whole installed subdirectory.

Really, GOG's installer should be improved to do all the basic prep work for you.. including uninstall the previous version if it's really required.
Ugh.
This is what people would do by default.
Of course, Almost Human should handle upgrades in their installer, but if they don't I would hope GOG.com could at least give me a hint regarding the right thing to do.
Our build ninja is out of office on vacation, so he made the build from a train station in Ireland; I will ask on Monday if there is anything we can do to fix the issue if you don't manually uninstall and then reinstall this build.
TheEnigmaticT: Our build ninja is out of office on vacation, so he made the build from a train station in Ireland; I will ask on Monday if there is anything we can do to fix the issue if you don't manually uninstall and then reinstall this build.
FWIW, on Win7, without installing into a special directory (like program files), I did the following:

- installed 1.1.3 to g:\games\gog.com\grimrock
- recently downloaded 1.0.0.8 installer
- It didn't offer to upgrade, so installed to g:\games\gog.com\grimrock
- Game still claimed to be 1.1.3
- Uninstalled game after reading this forum
- installed 1.0.0.8 again to g:\games\gog.com\grimrock
- so far everything works. (*crossed fingers*)

So I'm not certain you've got a fire on your hands, it's just annoying.
People are probably going to think I'm a bad person or something along those lines, but these kinds of issues make me wish I'd bought LoG from them directly or at least through Steam.

Older games rarely receive patches but contemporary games get updated with bugfixes, content, or whatever and benefit greatly from a paradigm similar to the Steam platform.

This is a non-issue for stuff like Star Control, but having to redownload an entire game will get old after awhile. LoG is only 350megs to download, but what if Witcher 2 had frequent patches that required a 20gig download each time?
xizar: People are probably going to think I'm a bad person or something along those lines, but these kinds of issues make me wish I'd bought LoG from them directly or at least through Steam.

Older games rarely receive patches but contemporary games get updated with bugfixes, content, or whatever and benefit greatly from a paradigm similar to the Steam platform.
Yeah, because Steam did a great job with the LoG patch.. Oh, wait, they f....d up ;P

Anyhow, downloading the full game is nothing new, and i'm sure Steam did it a lot, especially with indie titles. As far as i know, their platform downloads an unpacked version anyway, and I've seen patches bigger than 350MB. So it's really nothing.
xizar: People are probably going to think I'm a bad person or something along those lines, but these kinds of issues make me wish I'd bought LoG from them directly or at least through Steam.

Arteveld: Yeah, because Steam did a great job with the LoG patch.. Oh, wait, they f....d up ;P

Anyhow, downloading the full game is nothing new, and i'm sure Steam did it a lot, especially with indie titles. As far as i know, their platform downloads an unpacked version anyway, and I've seen patches bigger than 350MB. So it's really nothing.
Is it clear that it was Steam's fault?

You're missing the point of how updates are managed in general between the two platforms. Steam auto-updates. GoG requires a manual reinstall (and perhaps uninstall as well, it seems.)
xizar: You're missing the point of how updates are managed in general between the two platforms. Steam auto-updates. GoG requires a manual reinstall (and perhaps uninstall as well, it seems.)
In this *specific* case? Yes. In general, though? No. We've patched a number of games with a patcher that updates the game incrementally as you'd expect instead of requiring an uninstall and reinstall. As for auto-updating, there are quite a few reasons why you might not want to be forced to update your game. We'd rather let you make that decision yourself.
Soo why does the page still offer the 1.0.0.8 download, if the patched version is 1.1.4 ?
Riddip: So why does the page still offer the 1.0.0.8 download, if the patched version is 1.1.4 ?
This is the same.
(But if we had actually the choice left, the 1.0.0.6/1.1.3 would still be an option instead of being removed from download.)
Post edited April 23, 2012 by ERISS
xizar: You're missing the point of how updates are managed in general between the two platforms. Steam auto-updates. GoG requires a manual reinstall (and perhaps uninstall as well, it seems.)
TheEnigmaticT: In this *specific* case? Yes. In general, though? No. We've patched a number of games with a patcher that updates the game incrementally as you'd expect instead of requiring an uninstall and reinstall. As for auto-updating, there are quite a few reasons why you might not want to be forced to update your game. We'd rather let you make that decision yourself.
I tend to trust that game updates happen for a good reason, though for older games, I can see where this would be a bad thing, considering there are many which have communities outside the original developers that mod the game to fix bugs and such.
VtM:Bloodlines is one I have auto-update turned off on Steam because of that kind of situation.

But, as I said, I wish I'd gotten a Steam code for this because that platform also tells me when the game gets patched.

To be honest, the only reason I knew about The Witcher 2 EE is because of the advert on Steam. The only reason I knew about TW1:EE is because Steam auto-updated the version I have through them. This, despite the fact that I purchased both Witchers through GoG.

The same thing happened with LoG. I didn't know about the update to this until I saw a note about it on Steam.

I like that stuff from GoG is DRM free. Steam's DRM, however, comes with sufficient other services that I'm cool with using it.
TheEnigmaticT: Our build ninja is out of office on vacation
I hope he has fun in Ireland! I'm sorry our weather is, uh, a bit wet at the moment. ;-)