It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

staticblast: Maybe, but that largely depends on which features you are using that drive the higher version requirement. For instance, if it's a necessary thing to facilitate the switch between old-style and new-style, that would present an almost insurmountable challenge.
berarma: Knowing that graphically more demanding games like Quake 3, 4 or Doom 3 used OpenGL 1.x, it seems to me that GF requiring OpenGL 3.3 is an absurd requirement. The same with the minimum 4GB RAM requirement. They're acting like lazy developers or hardware sellers.
Truth be told, they *kind of have* to be hardware sellers, right now... the Sony team that worked with them to make the PS4 and Vita versions did pretty much all the job, and that's why I assume the game requires OpenGL 3.3 (a standard feature of the PS4 and the Vita): Double Fine were just lazy and basically put the game the Sony team developed right on the PC, with minimum-to-no optimization, because "modern consoles are basically PCs". So, since the Sony team had most of the job, Double Fine must be at least a bit obliged to sell those few extra PS4s and Vitas that Grim Fandango might turn out to be a system-seller for. Which, in my opinion, isn't that much, the PlayStation crowd never struck me as the target audience for Grim Fandango. Nor the "PC MASTER GRAPHIC WHORES RACE", which are the only ones with good enough GPUs to run a game that could have run on a 2002 machine, from the looks of it.
Post edited February 05, 2015 by groze
staticblast: Maybe, but that largely depends on which features you are using that drive the higher version requirement. For instance, if it's a necessary thing to facilitate the switch between old-style and new-style, that would present an almost insurmountable challenge.
berarma: Knowing that graphically more demanding games like Quake 3, 4 or Doom 3 used OpenGL 1.x, it seems to me that GF requiring OpenGL 3.3 is an absurd requirement. The same with the minimum 4GB RAM requirement. They're acting like lazy developers or hardware sellers.
No, they are OK with using modern APIs. However Intel didn't write drivers for their older GPUs and that's the main problem. In theory for OpenGL hardware capabilities limit only what major version is supported. But in practice driver has to be written to handle particular features of the minor version. In case of Nvidia they do it quite thoroughly. Intel were cheap and didn't do it for their older GPUs. Not sure exactly what AMD did.
Post edited February 05, 2015 by shmerl
How do I tell if the patch applied properly? I can't find anything in the game itself that shows the version number...and when I look at the files in the install directory, I noticed that the main .exe file doesn't have an update date of today. Just want to make sure the patch actually applied correctly.

Thanks!
Scott
groze: that's why I assume the game requires OpenGL 3.3 (a standard feature of the PS4 and the Vita)
Do you know if PS4 supports OpenGL 4.x? I didn't find clear information about it. I couldn't even find anything about OpenGL 3.x.
groze: that's why I assume the game requires OpenGL 3.3 (a standard feature of the PS4 and the Vita)
shmerl: Do you know if PS4 supports OpenGL 4.x? I didn't find clear information about it. I couldn't even find anything about OpenGL 3.x.
According to this article it looks like it supports OpenGL 4.0 :)
It's very doubtful that the PS4 has any sort of support for desktop GL. Maybe GLES to simplify porting of some simpler mobile games, but that's about it. Everyone else is expected to use the native APIs. You are misunderstanding the article - it says the PS4 GPU supports GL4/DX11 feature sets, but that is a different matter from actual API support.
Was the missing concept art fixed?

No. 97 to be specific.
patch broke my install.
I lost all the background, can only see manny and the other characters.
Same thing if i restart a new game. Classic mode still works.
Windows 7 & ATI 7870
goronzyg: It's very doubtful that the PS4 has any sort of support for desktop GL. Maybe GLES to simplify porting of some simpler mobile games, but that's about it. Everyone else is expected to use the native APIs. You are misunderstanding the article - it says the PS4 GPU supports GL4/DX11 feature sets, but that is a different matter from actual API support.
Too bad. I really resent all those consoles for sickening vendor lock-in. I wonder if situation with OpenGL-next will be different.
Sylenius: patch broke my install.
I lost all the background, can only see manny and the other characters.
Same thing if i restart a new game. Classic mode still works.
Windows 7 & ATI 7870
Ditto for Me.
Win 7 & ATI Radeon HD 4850
groze: Truth be told, they *kind of have* to be hardware sellers, right now... the Sony team that worked with them to make the PS4 and Vita versions did pretty much all the job, and that's why I assume the game requires OpenGL 3.3 (a standard feature of the PS4 and the Vita): Double Fine were just lazy and basically put the game the Sony team developed right on the PC, with minimum-to-no optimization, because "modern consoles are basically PCs". So, since the Sony team had most of the job, Double Fine must be at least a bit obliged to sell those few extra PS4s and Vitas that Grim Fandango might turn out to be a system-seller for. Which, in my opinion, isn't that much, the PlayStation crowd never struck me as the target audience for Grim Fandango. Nor the "PC MASTER GRAPHIC WHORES RACE", which are the only ones with good enough GPUs to run a game that could have run on a 2002 machine, from the looks of it.
That's the most convincing explanation for the requirements since I haven't read anything that made sense. Maybe the PS4 doesn't support the OpenGL API but the used feature set must be very close to what the PS4 offers. This makes the port a lot easier.
This game needed a lot more testing before its release. I'm finding this one a lot more glitchy than the original (running on Windows 7). Right now I'm stuck in year 4 in a "room" where almost everything disappeared, and I haven't managed to get out of there. Even saving and restarting the game didn't "fix" it.
Attachments:
gfr_y4bug.png (115 Kb)
hk007: This game needed a lot more testing before its release. I'm finding this one a lot more glitchy than the original (running on Windows 7). Right now I'm stuck in year 4 in a "room" where almost everything disappeared, and I haven't managed to get out of there. Even saving and restarting the game didn't "fix" it.
I do also happens disappears background, when i activate the remastered mode.
Please fix it!!

I lost all the background too in remastered mode, can only see manny and the other characters.

The Classic mode works well.

Before patching runs Ok

Windows 7 64bit, 8 Ram and Ati MobilityHD 5470

Please Fix it.
Post edited February 13, 2015 by TarosX
My problem is simple - the game starts without any instructions on how to play. It is full screen, so I can't adjust sound, size of game window etc etc. The mouse works fine but I don't see "save game" or any options at all. Have sympathy I am not a young person I am a retired but love games, person.