It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Age of Wonders, King of Dragon Pass, Darwinia, and other strategy classics up to 80% off!

We know that you like to be in charge. We know that you like that feeling of power and the constant pressure of one life-and-death decision after another. Whether you are in the battlefield, commanding your troops, in a warlord's tent deciding the life and death of your subjects, or in a city hall, placing miniature buildings on a map--you flourish. Leadership is your element. Knowing that, we've prepared a [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/strategy_games_weekend_promo_250414]Supremacy Special promo to cater to your tastes. Or rather: to nourish that ever-present hunger for power that you have. Let's take a look at a few of the games on this weekend's offer, shall we?

If you've been eyeing Age of Wonders 3, but you're unsure if it will suit your taste well, this is your chance to sample the concepts of the series. On this promo you'll find all of its predecessors: Age of Wonders, Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard's Throne, and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, which offers virtually infinite playtime with its random map generator feature. If you like turn-based strategy games following the time-proven explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate scheme, but you haven't had the chance to play these games, now you can--for half the regular price, with the first game for as little as $2.99 and both sequels for $4.99 each!

The unique storytelling gem King of Dragon Pass puts you in charge of a clan of colonists in an unexplored territory. The ways the story of your clan can unfold are virtually limitless! Every single decision you make affects the slowly-unravelling tale. There's consequence to every action in this game and the choices between right or wrong rarely are apparent. Wrong choices don't end the game, though. Like in real life, they just make things harder. This community favorite, one of the highest-rated games on GOG.com (and rightfully so!), can be yours for only $2.39.

If you enjoy the turn-based mechanics of the Heroes of Might and Magic series, but you would like to immerse yourself even deeper in a complex and extensive gameworld, don't miss Eador: Genesis. When we originally released this Russian masterpiece, we said that the single-player campaign can take up to 200 hours to beat. Our colleague from the support team, who knows the game by heart came asking later how did we come up with such a number. We told him, that 200 hours is the expected playtime stated by the developer. "Must have been a speedrun"--our friend commented, and we believe him (GOG.com support is known to be trustworthy, afterall). So brace yourselves--for only $2.39 you'll get more than 200 hours of playtime.

But that's only scratching the surface of our weekend promo! There are many more games to challenge your leadership skills on the Supremacy Special promo page, so go ahead and check them out now! The offer will last until Tuesday, April 29, at 3:59AM GMT.
Elinnea: I'm looking at Age of Wonders, King of Dragon Pass, and Eador: Genesis. I'm positive I will enjoy all of them, and can't wait to dig in!

One question though: does anyone have thoughts on how these games compare in terms of length and the one-more-turn syndrome? At the moment with my schedule I do better with games that are shorter or else can be put down and picked up across multiple sittings. Is there one of those three that would be best (or worst) from that standpoint?
I can't say for the other games, but while King of Dragon Pass could seem to be a "choose your own adventure book", and in that way could seem to be fair or easy, it isn't the case.

For instance, you can't succeed if you only do nice actions or bad actions even in the Easy mode. While most of games having choices and consequences are more games with the illusion that C&C are really efficient, KoDP is one of the games which have really a non-linear path. You will never have the same game if you play again once, twice or... Lots of choice to make, lots of random events...

You are the "spirit" of a clan. So you can decide which person is the chief, and who are in the ring. Those people will be advisors. But remember that King of Dragon Pass uses the Hero Wars setting, which is from one of the first roleplaying game settings. The setting stands in the world Gloranthia, and is very documented, as the setting has evolved deeper and deeper. Yes, KoDP only uses a little part of Gloranthia (the Dragon Pass), the mythos and the History are really interesting, the atmosphere is very particular: a celtic-scandinavian vibe mixed with "classic" fantasy things and some other surprises ^^. But what is really interesting is the fact that the whole is coherent. I never said "WTF?!" when playing KoDP. Because of this atmosphere, it is important to keep in mind that customs of these fantasy people and factions are closer to ancient customs than modern ideologies and religions.

So, that world is full of shades of Grey. You can have a random clan or create you own clan with its own history and its own traditions. A war clan or a peace clan or a balanced one. But even if you choose a peace clan, you won't have pacifists in the current common logic. You will have to use force sometimes because you will need to impose respect. And if you choose a war clan, you won't be forced to spread war everytime because your followers could be unhappy and most of all wouldn't have the time to harvest and your people will die of starving.

The "one-more-turn" syndrome can easily be there, but as I previously said, KoDP isn't an easy game, so while I used to clic without really thinking about my decisions, I am now more careful about every decision, even those which seem insignificant at first!

So be warned: it isn't a easy game, it may create a "one-more-turn" syndrome or not, but it is rewarding and fascinating. And each game you run is a story that nobody else will have.
Post edited April 26, 2014 by Huinehtar
Battle Realms is better than I expected for a 2002 game!

Think Warcraft 3 with western characters. 100% recommended!
spoonwhale: Does Battle Realms have online multiplayer?
Drakeer: I bought it and it uses Gamespy.... T_T
Meaning..?
Huinehtar: I can't say for the other games, but while King of Dragon Pass could seem to be a "choose your own adventure book", and in that way could seem to be fair or easy, it isn't the case.[..]
Is KoDP better than The Yawgh and Long Live The Queen?
They both seem nice games, but also very short, too simple, with lots of random trial&error..

Does anyone else know something on the other 2 games, instead: Nexus and Galactic Civilizations 1 ?
Post edited April 26, 2014 by phaolo
Drakeer: Battle Realms is better than I expected for a 2002 game!

I've never played it but from the descriptions and reviews it seem to have eastern characters, not western.
spoonwhale: Meaning..?
Meaning that if you want to play multiplayer, I suggest you get a move on because you have a month to do it before the servers get taken offline.
Niggles: Whenever i look at Defcon another game (who's title eludes me) keeps coming to mind --- cant recall if it was a c64 or a pc game -- but had similar (if more primitive graphics) kind of mechanics and gameplay..Nato and Warsaw pact were prominent. I know its a bit off topic but anyone remember the game? ....
C64? Probably Theatre Europe. I bought Defcon on this sale just because I hope its similar :)
Niggles: Whenever i look at Defcon another game (who's title eludes me) keeps coming to mind --- cant recall if it was a c64 or a pc game -- but had similar (if more primitive graphics) kind of mechanics and gameplay..Nato and Warsaw pact were prominent. I know its a bit off topic but anyone remember the game? ....
Huh - of course I remember that one. I remember you could make 2 nuclear strikes on selected NATO units without penalty - but after 3rd you got full scale tactical misiles exchange ...and the world was over.
Post edited April 26, 2014 by tburger
Drakeer: I bought it and it uses Gamespy.... T_T
Gamespy servers are about to get closed

Drakeer: Battle Realms is better than I expected for a 2002 game!

justanoldgamer: I've never played it but from the descriptions and reviews it seem to have eastern characters, not western.
Yeah, I meant eastern! Thanks!
Huinehtar: I can't say for the other games, but while King of Dragon Pass could seem to be a "choose your own adventure book", and in that way could seem to be fair or easy, it isn't the case.[..]
phaolo: Is KoDP better than The Yawgh and Long Live The Queen?
They both seem nice games, but also very short, too simple, with lots of random trial&error..
I can't really say for those games either :-(
But from what I see (I didn't know of The Yawgh, thanks :)), they seem to be character-centric - I may be wrong.
KoDP isn't character-centric, your ring won't be the same on each new game, so every thane/noble.
I felt more a bond on the clan as a whole, with an exception: there are some rituals (the famous Hero Quests) in which the charachter who performs the ritual becomes a hero.
The randomness in KoDP doesn't mean there are some "good answers or fail/die". It hasn't that kind of trial&error, it is more subtle, if you constantly make wrong decisions you will inevitably fail.

The goal is to create a tribe, unifying other clans, and eventually have the King. Depending of what type of game you chose ("Short game" or "Long game"). The basic goal is obviously to survive :)
Even in the "Short game", I don't remember the game being short, but I haven't played for months :/
Post edited April 26, 2014 by Huinehtar
This is one of the best promotions ever! All the titles are the best or among the best:

-Dragon Pass: unique; strategy, storytelling and RPG well done.

- Nexus: At last, a real time, 3D strategy game where you manage your flotilla, like a strategy iWar (try Star Wolves if you like this one).

- The Age of Wonders series: the best in its genre since Master of Magic.

- Eador: surprising, easy to learn, hard to master; a work of love and amazingly good.

Etcetera....

Based on the suggestions above, I might get Battle Realms, Defcon and Uplink...

Again, WELL DONE GOG!!!! :)
Huinehtar: The randomness in KoDP doesn't mean there are some "good answers or fail/die". It hasn't that kind of trial&error, it is more subtle, if you constantly make wrong decisions you will inevitably fail.

The goal is to create a tribe, unifying other clans, and eventually have the King. Depending of what type of game you chose ("Short game" or "Long game"). The basic goal is obviously to survive :)
Even in the "Short game", I don't remember the game being short, but I haven't played for months :/
Ok thanks, I'll probably try it then.

P.S: don't pay too much for The Yawgh, it's REALLY short. I've seen some normal LPs on Youtube and they lasted about 15-30 mins in total (you'll probably win after only a couple of tries). Also, the game was funnier with more people involved.
Post edited April 26, 2014 by phaolo
After much considerations, Of the 5 games I do not own in the promo, I bought Nexus and Eador.

It was really borderline for Battle Realms which I only considered because of TinyE's recommendations but in the end I'm really not a fan of Japanese mythology, history and philosophies so I gave it a pass. It was a close thing though, so maybe if it's ever on sale at an even better price than 60% off.

The other two games I do not own are Overlord and Heroes of Annihilated Empires. Overlord does not seem like my type of game and I was turned of by the mention of cards in Heroes.
Drakeer: Gamespy servers are about to get closed

justanoldgamer: I've never played it but from the descriptions and reviews it seem to have eastern characters, not western.
Drakeer: Yeah, I meant eastern! Thanks!
So it has online multiplayer until it gets closed, then?

That's a bummer. What about Age of Wonders?
What? King of the Samurai Sword is on sale? Awesome. Eh, I meant Samurais of Dragon Pass. Samurai King... Dragon Sword? Ergh, whatever. I'll rather wait to next week and check promo again :)