It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Celebrate the Complete Collection of Ultima games on GOG.com!

We’ve got all of the Ultima games on GOG.com, and you can save up to 50% off all Ultima titles as part of our celebration of completing this iconic series.

Ultima: the name rings through the halls of PC gaming history. Source of some of the most innovative concepts in computer RPGs, and one of the best-selling RPG series ever made, it’s home to a vast variety of tense combats, difficult moral tests, and vivid characters. Anyone who’s played through the hundreds of hours of gameplay that the whole series spans has tons of fond memories: the challenges of living up to the morality of a noble champion for the first time in Ultima IV; realizing that day and night actually meant something in a game in Ultima VI, or even playing through a true 3d world in Ultima Underworld

But wait! There's more! Just to add a little more awesomeness to our ultimate cRPG series, we've prepared--with no small help from the GOG.com community--some new bonus goodies. Ultima 3 receives a spellbook for the cleric class. Ultima 6 gets an audio interview with his brittanic lordship, Richard Garriot himself. Owners of Ultima 7 can now access some game design documents, a Serpent Isle colored map and a cluebook. We didn't forget about the Pagan in the family--Ultima 8 gets a set of documents regarding the design of the Lost Vale. Even the 3D spin-off of the series gets new bonus content: quick reference cards for both Ultima Underworld games. So if you already own those games, be sure to check their cards today. If not--hurry up and grab them up to 50% off!

Bottom line: whether you’re looking to just pick up your favorite Ultima game (maybe you haven’t gotten around to it yet) or you’ve been holding out because we haven’t released your favorite one yet, now’s the best time to pick the Ultima games! You can experience the entirety of one of the best RPG series ever made--one that still influences games released today--for under $18. The promo lasts until 30 August 2012 at 10:59 AM GMT, but the glory of Ultima collection will shine on GOG.com for the foreseeable eternity.

Choose, Avatar, and choose wisely: will you tread the path of Honor, or will Brittania perish? You are being summoned to the Ultimate Ultima Promo page!
Will be adding Ultima 9 when I get home. Nice promo.
keeveek: <snip>
Bloodygoodgames: Hey, no, I'm fine but thanks very much for the offer :)

I've never played any of the Ultima games, so it doesn't really make any sense for me to just grab a couple here and there when I've already got such a ginormous backlog. And it makes no sense me buying the whole pack either, as I'd never play the first games (I like old games, but not that old :)

I'll probably pick up a couple down the road when my backlog is down a bit.

Thanks again for the offer,though. REALLY appreciate the thought :)
Well, technically you would pay more to get all games but one than picking the whole bundle. So you should check if that's not your case first.

It even holds true when you already own some of the 6 games
After skimming through the thread I found not enough mention of Ultima Underworld 1 + 2.

Everybody should consider getting at least those two. They are a steal for 6$, let alone the promo price. Both games are excellent and can still hold their own against modern games. Especially the atmosphere is great. They are rather "light" on the RPG part so don't be afraid of being overwhelmed.

I would go so far and say that those two game are the best exploration games ever made.
Dju: This is an outrage! This is a filthy lie!

The so-called "promotion" (more like a scam) CLEARLY states "Celebrate the Complete Collection of Ultima games on GOG.com!", however that's a big fat lie!

Have you seen the World of Ultima games included somewhere? Mmmmh?
So there you go, this by no means a complete collection and GOG should be ashamed!

Just because they're free doesn't mean they don't deserve to be included!
I have now bought Ultima 9 to complete my collection (which DOES include WOU 1 & 2 thank you very much), but I did so filled with rage and anger and a lot of gamer entitlement because that's 2012's buzzword!
<tongue_in_cheek>That's right! And not only that but GOG is missing Ultima Online too!! Those are LIES, damned lies... </tongue_in_cheek>
Finally. Another awesome series is complete. Thanks GOG for making this series playable for me.
Great stuff gog, both getting the whole collection and the completionist promo .

Question: The installer for IV+V+VI is much smaller than the stand alone installer for IV. Is that how it should be ?
Post edited August 23, 2012 by Namur
Namur: Great stuff gog, both getting the whole collection and the completionist promo .

Question: The installer for IV+V+VI is much smaller than the stand alone installer for IV. Is that how it should be ?
The Installer for IV includes the manual. The installer for IV-V-VI doesn't include manuals.
tikeno: The Installer for IV includes the manual. The installer for IV-V-VI doesn't include manuals.
I guess that explains it, thanks ;)
JudasIscariot: I hope this doesn't come off as high-and-mighty, but I think I can safely say that I got y'all beat as far the backlog goes :D
dirtyharry50: Is it over 400 games owned while also playing an MMO daily?
Heh, I stopped playing MMO's because of GoG. I realized I could either spend endless, repetitive hours in an MMO raiding to get gear so I could spend even more hours in yet another raid to get even better gear, or I could play a new and different game every few days from GoG. It was really a no brainer once I just stepped back from the addictiveness of MMO's and asked myself wtf was I doing.
dirtyharry50: Is it over 400 games owned while also playing an MMO daily?
JudasIscariot: I won't allow myself near an MMO :D Too addicting :P
That is a good point. In fact, I must now close this browser and launch World of Warcraft to venture forth into Azeroth with my fledgling Troll Druid, righting wrongs wherever we go! We also must continue working on our gathering skills so that come expansion time we can gather like mad and rake in enormous amounts of cash feeding the crafters when the economy goes wild and mats sell like hotcakes for great prices - for sellers! :D
I finally got a chance to watch the promo video. Very cool. Thanks again GOG. Now how about making Arx Fatalis part of this weekends promo? :D
Bloodygoodgames: Well, I've never played any of the Ultima games (before my time :), so have just downloaded the freebie - Ultima IV and plan on giving it a go tonight.

It may just motivate me to buy a couple from this deal before the end of the promo -- even if I do have the world's biggest backlog.
AFnord: *looks at his own backlog* I don't know, mine is annoyingly big as well...

Anyway, if you feel that you are on the fence about the Ultima series, and don't know if you will be able to sit through the rather outdated earlier ultimas (they are important games from a historical point of view, and quite interesting, but I don't think they hold up all that well these days), then just play Ultima 7 (part 1 & 2) & Ultima Underworld (2 in particular). Those games still hold up really well, and the world in Ultima 7 is one of the absolutely best game worlds ever created.
Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'm going to do :)

I did try playing Ultima IV last night (the freebie one) but didn't get past the first 10 minutes. Outdated graphics beyond anything I'm willing to play (sorry to all of you who still love the really old pixel games :), but I just can't play them) and waaaaaaay too much reading. If I wanted to read that much story, I'd turn off my computer and buy a book :)

So, when I get chance I'll pick up one of the later games and give that a bash.

I do want to at least play one Ultima game, as they are such a big part of PC gaming history, but no, not the old ones, LOL.
Bloodygoodgames: Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'm going to do :)

I did try playing Ultima IV last night (the freebie one) but didn't get past the first 10 minutes. Outdated graphics beyond anything I'm willing to play (sorry to all of you who still love the really old pixel games :), but I just can't play them) and waaaaaaay too much reading. If I wanted to read that much story, I'd turn off my computer and buy a book :)
One of the best books I ever read was Planescape: Torment. :)
Post edited August 23, 2012 by Dragoon001
Bloodygoodgames: Thanks for the advice. I think that's what I'm going to do :)

Dragoon001: One of the best books I ever read was Planescape: Torment. :)
That was on my list to buy at one point, until a few people said it was very difficul. So I went with Nox instead :)

EDIT: Sorry. Completely DISREGARD what I just said :)

I actually meant Temple of Elemental Evil - still have Planescape on my Wish List, just haven't bought it yet. (- I don't know where my brain is sometimes :)
Post edited August 23, 2012 by Bloodygoodgames
I don't normally like to use cliches, but the only thing I can say here is: epic. Every Ultima including the previously ultra-rare sell your blood and your soul and your house to try to afford them Worlds of Ultima games (which are not in the promo because 50% of $0.00 is rather pointless) for under $18? Britannia lives again! The pure retro weirdness of the genre twisting Ultima I, the early epic storytelling of Ultima III, Ultima IV which redefined what "role playing" really means, and the living, breathing world of Ultima VII are well worth the price of admission, as well as the deep story of Ultima V, the VI series (VI and the Worlds), the Underworlds, and even the final two which, although disappointing as Ultima games are not all that bad in their own right make one heck of a package.

I dare anyone to look up the price of the Dragon Edition of Ultima IX which has these games and SOME of the extras (but, sadly, no Worlds of Ultima or Underworlds on Amazon: over $1000.

GOG, thou art virtuous. Britannia's history is in very good hands. Long live Britannia! Long Live GOG!

GOG virtues: Honesty- now you can honestly obtain all the Ultima games, Valor- You can be valorous enough to try some very early games and see why they are still awesome after all these years, Justice- after years of waiting, the series is available at a fair and just price (as opposed to having to spend a fortune through other places), Humility- although they can charge a lot more for these games, they are priced quite humbly, Sacrifice- these games are so good (especially VII) that you will sacrifice a lot of time playing them, Honor- legally purchasing these games here is the honorable thing to do, Compassion- These prices (and the Free WOU games) are quite compassionate of GOG, Spirituality- Playing IV-VII can be quite a spiritual experience.

Enjoy!