It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pioneer the post-apocalyptic open world.

Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic, a post-apocalyptic open world full of awe and danger, as imagined in a 1988 RPG, is available for only $5.99 on GOG.com

They say that ever since the nuclear holocaust, America is no longer a place for heroes. They say, that it is no longer the land of the free. Know, that they've been lying to you. In the atomic wasteland of the year 2087, there is still room for bravery, justice, and order. There are men and women standing guard to what is left of civilized society, facing villains, mutants, bandits, and monsters on daily basis. When everyone else just gave up, they roam the ruins of our nation's sinful past, and do the impossible to bring law to the badlands. They are the Desert Rangers, and this is their story.

Back in 1988 Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic (or just Wasteland back then) took the fresh memory of living in constant fear during the Cold War, reached for the aesthetics of the Mad Max movies, added solid cRPG mechanics, and offered gamers an experience that would soon inspire a whole gaming sub-genre. Long before Mr. Ron Perlman announced to the world that "war never changes" in the iconic opening sequence to Fallout, the post-apocalyptic grim future was a vision already present and persistent in the minds of gamers. That was mostly because of Wasteland. The open-ended free-roam gameplay, paired with incredibly rich and suggestive setting made a lasting impression on everyone who dared to visit the nuclear desert. With challenging difficulty level and great variety of NPCs, quests, and locations, this fantastic title is still a blast to play!

Do you remember playing this title, or maybe you'd like to see how the gaming post-apo craze has begun? Pick the slightly updated version of Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic, for only $5.99, on GOG.com.
justanoldgamer: Downloaded, installed, manual printed...

Was the survival guide part of the original release?
I am not sure but maybe with a later release?

I think it was sold separately, it's like a walkthrough/hintbook

Crosmando: I think it was sold separately, it's like a walkthrough/hintbook
Thanks to you an Judas, last decision is what kind of chips and drink to get while playing, nature or bbq, cola or beer?
Crosmando: I think it was sold separately, it's like a walkthrough/hintbook
justanoldgamer: Thanks to you an Judas, last decision is what kind of chips and drink to get while playing, nature or bbq, cola or beer?
BBQ and beer :)
I see some of you mention that turning off the "advanced scaling algorithms" improves performance.

What exactly does it do though?
justanoldgamer: Thanks to you an Judas, last decision is what kind of chips and drink to get while playing, nature or bbq, cola or beer?
JudasIscariot: BBQ and beer :)
I was wondering where all the bluetexts were; why aren't they (TET and G-Doc at least) celebrating this release with us? :P Too busy with other things, or just nothing to say?
JudasIscariot: BBQ and beer :)
tfishell: I was wondering where all the bluetexts were; why aren't they (TET and G-Doc at least) celebrating this release with us? :P Too busy with other things, or just nothing to say?
Off doing blue text stuffs? :D
yyahoo: I backed the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter and chose the level that offered Wasteland 2 as well. I was concerned that because I didn't specifically back the Wasteland 2 KS that I may not be offered a free copy of Wasteland 1. Kudos to inXile though, they were completely on top of it. I received an email this morning telling me that since I backed the Torment tier with a copy of Wasteland 2 that I received a free Steam or GOG key for the original.

The only problem that I ran into was that I had to create an account on the Torment website to access my key. Unfortunately, my ISP was sold recently and I am in the process of transitioning to a new email domain (I know, I know, I should never use my ISP's email and use gmail or something similar instead). I had changed my email address on Kickstarter, but apparently email changes didn't get forwarded to inXile and my current email address didn't "activate" the gift option for my Wasteland 1 key. Thankfully, I still have access to my old email address, so once I added it to my account and validated it, my Wasteland key access appeared.

It's a little frustrating that my email address didn't update. I wonder if this could affect other Kickstarters that I have backed on my old email address. Is this lack of email address updates a Kickstarter issue or an inXile issue?
I had the same problem last year (when the Ranger Center came out). I send them a message via kickstarter explaining the problem and they solved it (they added the new email address to the old account). You could try. They were pretty fast about it once they knew.
I... have no interest towards this game. It looks... well, old.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it has found its way to GOG, but I can't really see what all the fuss is about....
tfishell: I was wondering where all the bluetexts were; why aren't they (TET and G-Doc at least) celebrating this release with us? :P Too busy with other things, or just nothing to say?
JudasIscariot: Off doing blue text stuffs? :D
Lol, I can only imagine. In vague terms I have heard you guys are staying quite busy, so it's understandable there's no time to post; plus the occasional release whining probably gets frustrating.

But please get TET to post at least once in here so we know he's alive! :-P
Post edited November 12, 2013 by tfishell
tfishell: Lol, I can only imagine. In vague terms I have heard you guys are staying quite busy, so it's understandable there's no time to post; plus the occasional release whining probably gets frustrating.

I see I am not good enough for you guys :(

I am kidding :P I'll try but it's been hellaciously busy around here :)
Post edited November 12, 2013 by JudasIscariot
tfishell: But please get TET to post at least once in here so we know he's alive! :-P
TET posted a few hours ago in the SotS:TP release thread, so he is ok. Or at least as ok as any blue can be...

tfishell: Lol, I can only imagine. In vague terms I have heard you guys are staying quite busy, so it's understandable there's no time to post; plus the occasional release whining probably gets frustrating.
May I also point out this thread, and let speculation grow wild?

JudasIscariot: I see I am not good enough for you guys :(

No no, I'm just fully aware you're alive. ;) I saw quite a few of your posts in SotS:Pit:Gold release thread, hopefully that was all sorted out and you survived.

Just have TET pop in and salute good old games. ;)

tfishell: But please get TET to post at least once in here so we know he's alive! :-P
JMich: TET posted a few hours ago in the SotS:TP release thread, so he is ok. Or at least as ok as any blue can be...

JMich: May I also point out this thread, and let speculation grow wild?
THIS I did not see, thanks.
Post edited November 12, 2013 by tfishell
JudasIscariot: I see I am not good enough for you guys :(

tfishell: No no, I'm just fully aware you're alive. ;) I saw quite a few of your posts in SotS:Pit:Gold release thread, hopefully that was all sorted out and you survived.

Well, TET might also be playing Battle Worlds Kronos since he did back that one :) (I don't know if he backed Wasteland/Torment, please don't ask :) )

I survived, thank you for asking btw :)
Post edited November 12, 2013 by JudasIscariot
tfishell: No no, I'm just fully aware you're alive. ;) I saw quite a few of your posts in SotS:Pit:Gold release thread, hopefully that was all sorted out and you survived.

JudasIscariot: Well, TET might also be playing Battle Worlds Kronos since he did back that one :) (I don't know if he backed Wasteland/Torment, please don't ask :) )

I survived, thank you for asking btw :)
Ha ha, fair enough. If he has any free time in-between playing Battle Worlds you might see if, y'know, he could squeeze in a few seconds to bring the peace pipe to both Hasbro and Ubisoft, and bring us lowly peasants an SSi D&D game or two. ;)