It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brandon, I have your saw!

Legend of Kyrandia, an unforgettable, classic point-and-click adventure game packed with wondrous locations, mythical creatures, and downright evil sense of humor, is available on GOG.com for only $5.99.

[url=http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyrandia][/url]Welcome to the wonderful kingdom of Kyrandia, a land of astounding beauty, home to countless enchanted creatures and spellbinding locations. Alas, dark clouds gather on the horizon: Malcolm, the court jester, has done something terrible and the magical realm will never be the same again. Unless you, Prince Brandon, can achieve the impossible and outfox the demented joker. Remember when adventure games challenged you to beat them, without cutting you any slack? Remember when you had to draw a location map not to get lost in the maze, or were wary of crossing a funny-looking bridge, in fear of falling to a terrible death? Legend of Kyrandia, in all its classic charm and glory, is the epitome of those games.

Legend of Kyrandia is one of the gems of the classic adventure games era. First in the series of three titles, it established the original setting of Kyrandia, a land of unparalleled beauty, and, at the same time, menacing dangers. Celebrated for its unique tone of mischievous humor and inventive quests, it has also been considered a milestone in adventure games evolution. The game introduced innovative elements to the genre, with extremely simple interface and creative use of inventory items. It also made you suffer and die in many imaginative ways (one of them including a particularly charming slasher smile and a very sharp saw).

Prepare for some old-school questing and lose yourself (literally) in a perilous kingdom of Kyrandia, get Legend of Kyrandia, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!
BadDecissions: I admire the Facebook generation's sturdy good sense in not putting up with shit like this anymore, but I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater here.
That's part of the charm of games from that era. Developers made games that they themselves would want to play, and you know programmers and their kind are quite intelligent you know. You'd never see stuff like that in modern game because they are run through focus groups of players and all this nonsense that makes sure a game is thoroughly soulless by the time it hits retail.

This is what I mean:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/21/dishonored-clues-hints/
Post edited September 13, 2013 by Crosmando
Woohooo!!!!! Yay!!! One of my all-time favorite games!
I've been gaming on PCs since the mid '90s, and consoles & handhelds including GBA, DS, DSLite, 3DS, PS1,2,3, PSP, etc, and of all of them, Kyrandia is one of my absolute favorites! Thank-you!
ktchong: I dislike puzzle-based adventure games in general: they are one-dimensional and restrictive, (i.e. most adventure puzzles had only one specific solution, and players had to know that specific solution to make progress in the game or they would be stuck; and humans are supposed to be different -- we all have different ways to solve the same problem;) most puzzles had unintuitive and counter-intuitive solutions, many resorted to "pixel hunting" solutions. The Legend of Kyrandia trilogy represented the worst of the puzzle-based adventure games.

I used to play them because I used to have a lot of free time and there was really nothing else, i.e., adventure games had very little competition. However, now the video game market is full of choices and alternatives, I now realize how much puzzle-based adventure games SUCKED.

I am actually glad that the old puzzle-based adventure games (like those of the now-defunct Sierra and LucasArts) are dead. Good riddance, I say.

The type of adventure games I like is interaction-based or "decision-based", i.e, games like TellTale's Walking Dead. They have multiple solutions and decisions, and the gameplay is based on decisions made during "interaction and conversations with other characters "Adventure games" may be still alive, but they are a different breed from the adventure games of old. The old puzzle-based adventure games are truly dead -- or should be dead and buried. Decision-based gameplay should be the future of adventure games.
These games did not always make sense, and there were often times things that you could do to make the game unbeatable. Book One of Kyrandia is among those games. If you are not careful, you could make the game unbeatable. But guess what. Once you figure out a puzzle, and you knew what you were doing, you could beat the game in a very short amount of time. Sierra/Westwood titles did not rely on a vast world to make a game "fun," but instead relied on making you think.

Whether you are 14 or 40, we live in an age where thinking is overrated and shot down. Buzz back to the Hive if you don't want to use you brain to figure out how to beat it, but don't come here bashing us and the game itself just because you don't like it. People like you are the opposite of what we need. We need open thinkers.

Oh, and "the old puzzle-based adventure games" are not dead. Have you never heard of The Whispered World, or any of the other Daedelic Games? What about the OTHER Telltale games, like Sam & Max, BTTF, or Monkey Island? Sierra, WestWood, and LucasArts made some of the most interesting games in history, not because of a vast world, and not because they were easy, but exactly the opposite, and companies like Telltale Games and Daedelic Entertainment are working to make sure we can keep that going, and I am more than pleased that this is happening.

And pretty much every one of Sierra's games had multiple endings. As did these, I believe.

Look, I'm sorry for the rant, but you are not seeing what Sierra did for the gaming industry, and you are degrading every person that plays these games, so I refuse to hold my tongue.
Zacron: These games did not always make sense, and there were often times things that you could do to make the game unbeatable. Book One of Kyrandia is among those games. If you are not careful, you could make the game unbeatable. But guess what. Once you figure out a puzzle, and you knew what you were doing, you could beat the game in a very short amount of time.
That pretty much goes to all classic adventure games. After all, the puzzles were the only thing preventing you from advancing in the game. As soon as you knew a solution to a puzzle, there is no challenge anymore trying to figure it out again on another playthrough.

Adventure games are in a way mostly a relic from the early times of computer gaming, when hardware caused big restrictions what kind of games can be done. In it's simplest form, an adventure game is basically a series of questions, for which you have to figure out the correct answer.

"A powerful wizard blocks your way. What do you do?"

- Run away.
"No."

- Hit wizard with a stick.
"He kills you. You die."

- Talk to wizard.
"He doesn't respond."

- Throw him with a rock.
"You don't have a rock."

- Use hairspray and a lighter on wizard.
"Bingo! You did it! The wizard is set on fire, and he dies! Now you can proceed to the next question."

That said, there are adventure games which tell an interesting story, but the game mechanic itself is quite archaic IMHO.
Zacron: These games did not always make sense, and there were often times things that you could do to make the game unbeatable. Book One of Kyrandia is among those games. If you are not careful, you could make the game unbeatable. But guess what. Once you figure out a puzzle, and you knew what you were doing, you could beat the game in a very short amount of time.
timppu: That pretty much goes to all classic adventure games. After all, the puzzles were the only thing preventing you from advancing in the game. As soon as you knew a solution to a puzzle, there is no challenge anymore trying to figure it out again on another playthrough.

Adventure games are in a way mostly a relic from the early times of computer gaming, when hardware caused big restrictions what kind of games can be done. In it's simplest form, an adventure game is basically a series of questions, for which you have to figure out the correct answer.

- Run away.
"No."

"He kills you. You die."

- Talk to wizard.
"He doesn't respond."

- Throw him with a rock.
"You don't have a rock."

"Bingo! You did it! The wizard is set on fire, and he dies! Now you can proceed to the next question."

That said, there are adventure games which tell an interesting story, but the game mechanic itself is quite archaic IMHO.
But that does not mean it cannot be improved on. I just spent a good deal of time playing Fez, and while I have a long way to go, I am already wishing it was over. The mechanics it follows are use these keys, guess what to do next, and listen to this music. That is being used all the time now, and yeah, people can make great music, but I want a game. These new "adventure games" should be smaller and used as minigames, but no, theses are the games we make today.

I long for a day where I am allowed to mess up, and I am forced to learn from my mistakes. Name one game that does that? Not even Dishonored or Skyrim has the same teaching and thinking methods.

That's my problem.
timppu: That pretty much goes to all classic adventure games. After all, the puzzles were the only thing preventing you from advancing in the game. As soon as you knew a solution to a puzzle, there is no challenge anymore trying to figure it out again on another playthrough.

- Run away.
"No."

"He kills you. You die."

- Talk to wizard.
"He doesn't respond."

- Throw him with a rock.
"You don't have a rock."

How is it any more "archaic" than progressing a game by running around shooting people in the face or stabbing people?
I just noticed first sentence in the OP (yay my observation skill). Obligatory in-game respond:
"That's ok Herman. You can keep it."

ktchong: The old puzzle-based adventure games are truly dead -- or should be dead and buried.
"I don't like this kind of game so let's burn all of them. Who cares what others think."
That's a great way of thinking you got there. Keep it up. Shame the old point'n'click adventure games are my favourite genre. Well, guess I'm out of luck.
high rated
keeveek: I have a feeling that this would never be released if not for all the whining on the forums by various people. So good job! Now we'll have to wait several months for the sequels, because fuck you, that's why ;-)
Crosmando: This is the key to understanding GOG.
Look, I understand frustration because in the age of instant gratification, we all want everything now. The simple fact is that we're balancing a number of things here when you see our release schedule:

1. Signing games. Working with big partners is not always easy; it is very nearly always slow, and just because we've signed an agreement for part of someone's catalog doesn't mean we have the whole thing. This is why sometimes you see a gap of a year or more between releases from someone's catalog: we had to re-negotiate and sign more games from them.

2. When it is best to release a game. You want all of the games for everything now. I get it. Waiting is no fun. But if we dumped, for example, eleven adventure games on one day, or one week, or even just all in a row, we'd either have a lot of games that get lost in the noise or a lot of people who are very unhappy. In either case, varying our release schedule by publisher and by genre is a good move for us.

3. When it is possible to release a game. We talk a lot about how much work we do to restore a game and get it ready for modern OSes. We also fully test all of our classic games. So pick a game series like Wizardry, or Ultima. These games are hundreds of hours long; testing them takes all of those hundreds of hours. Some games we find have bugs in certain OSes or hardware configs that require fixing-even if you've never experienced bugs in a game doesn't mean that someone else might and, if one of our common configs catches the bug, we have to try and fix it.

I see that to you being negative and demanding more seems like a way to get what you want from GOG.com: namely, more games faster. It's not, and that because we deliver games--classic and new--to you as quickly as we can regardless. I'm sorry that you think we're some kind of evil overlord who delights in making you miserable by deliberately making our release schedule to disappoint as many people as possible. I think by saying that, you're denigrating the very real work that all 55 people at GOG.com put in every day, trying to bring classic games to light again and further the cause of DRM-free gaming.

In either case, we will continue to release the best games we can find as quickly as we can; to do otherwise would be stupid for us as a business. Patience, and good things come to those who wait.
Crosmando: This is the key to understanding GOG.
TheEnigmaticT: Look, I understand frustration because in the age of instant gratification, we all want everything now. The simple fact is that we're balancing a number of things here when you see our release schedule:

1. Signing games. Working with big partners is not always easy; it is very nearly always slow, and just because we've signed an agreement for part of someone's catalog doesn't mean we have the whole thing. This is why sometimes you see a gap of a year or more between releases from someone's catalog: we had to re-negotiate and sign more games from them.

2. When it is best to release a game. You want all of the games for everything now. I get it. Waiting is no fun. But if we dumped, for example, eleven adventure games on one day, or one week, or even just all in a row, we'd either have a lot of games that get lost in the noise or a lot of people who are very unhappy. In either case, varying our release schedule by publisher and by genre is a good move for us.

3. When it is possible to release a game. We talk a lot about how much work we do to restore a game and get it ready for modern OSes. We also fully test all of our classic games. So pick a game series like Wizardry, or Ultima. These games are hundreds of hours long; testing them takes all of those hundreds of hours. Some games we find have bugs in certain OSes or hardware configs that require fixing-even if you've never experienced bugs in a game doesn't mean that someone else might and, if one of our common configs catches the bug, we have to try and fix it.

I see that to you being negative and demanding more seems like a way to get what you want from GOG.com: namely, more games faster. It's not, and that because we deliver games--classic and new--to you as quickly as we can regardless. I'm sorry that you think we're some kind of evil overlord who delights in making you miserable by deliberately making our release schedule to disappoint as many people as possible. I think by saying that, you're denigrating the very real work that all 55 people at GOG.com put in every day, trying to bring classic games to light again and further the cause of DRM-free gaming.

In either case, we will continue to release the best games we can find as quickly as we can; to do otherwise would be stupid for us as a business. Patience, and good things come to those who wait.
Well... I think you guys rock!

:-D
Not sure if you meant me or keeveek, but I wasn't actually saying that we/I want instant gratification and everything now. Just that we as fans/customers are obviously in the dark, and in the absence of any information the mind wanders, or something.
Post edited September 13, 2013 by Crosmando
I saw this announcement and had a feeling that I know this game but couldn't quite place it. So I scratched my head and looked at the screenshots. Then I saw the bush with the big, round, blue berries next to the waterfall and I instantly went "Oh no! THAT game!"
Now I remember. I played that such a long time ago. That is a mean game. But a fun one.
I can recommend it if you don't get frustrated easily and like to laugh. :-D
Post edited September 13, 2013 by Piranjade
TheEnigmaticT: snip
Forget the haters. GOG is doing a great job! I couldn't be happier with the service you are providing.
TheEnigmaticT: Look, I understand frustration because in the age of instant gratification, we all want everything now. The simple fact is that we're balancing a number of things here when you see our release schedule:

Can we make this one a sticky? Or maybe even email it once a week for at least the rest of this year?
If people don't speak out how would GOG know in what direction to take their business. This includes what some folks call negative comments. Personalty I support the people who post the negative comments because if not for them we might very well be having GOG achievements, cards, and a STEAM-like system.
RevGalen: if not for them we might very well be having GOG achievements, cards, and a STEAM-like system.
I quite doubt that. Given how many time I've seen complaints that GOG doesn't have achievements and a heavy social client with one-click download/install, cloud saves and automatic updating, it seems rather the opposite - "if GOG listened to them we might very well be having GOG achievements, cards, and a STEAM-like system".

(While I wouldn't use such a thing myself, I'm not opposed to it, as long as it's completely optional and a pure downloader exists, or that other functionality can be completely shut off)
Post edited September 13, 2013 by Maighstir