It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Release of the Beast.

Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition (also known as: Kult: Heretic Kingdoms), a sleek isometric fantasy action RPG with many interesting gameplay ideas, set in a vast gritty world deprived of hope, but filled with monsters and dangers, is available on GOG.com for only $5.99.

At the first glance, the sword seemed like nothing special. Yes, the craftsmanship was excellent, and you could see that its creator went to great lengths to make the weapon look as ominous as a piece of steel can get, but there were many similar blades across the land. If anything, this one looked a little bit rusty and battered up. It was only as she reached for the hilt, when a slight vibration could be noticed. Like an electric charge hitting her hand. For a moment, the blade seemed to be gleaming--barely noticeable inner shine. What she thought to be flakes of rust shined in crimson red, like fresh blood embedded into the metal itself. But then, nothing special happened. She just stood there, holding the sword, looking at it in silence. Nobody else would even notice, but she knew. In her hand, rested the blade that tasted the blood of god. The Godslayer.

Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition is a classic action-rpg that has the ambition of delivering some original ideas an making your experience unique. It makes sure that upon completion, you won't just feel like you've completed another generic hack-and-slash. It succeeds by the means of excellent storytelling, dynamic gameplay, and some original RPG mechanics. If you are a fan of the genre, but somehow you managed to overlook this title in the past, you're up for one satisfying experience! The GOG.com edition of the game comes with a full MP3 soundtrack.

Adventure awaits, so go on--discover the land that needs hope and decide if it deserves it in Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!

NOTICE:
GOG.com team would like to thank our users: IAmSinistar for finding the rights holder for Heretic Kingdoms and tfishell for passing on the information to us. Without your help, we wouldn't have the game today so thanks again for your assistance in making this release possible. This is why GOG.com community rocks, guys!
I played this game when it came out. Good gamey!

I actually recently bought it again in box form all brand new, it was easy to get to work on Windows 7. Just had to set the desktop resolution to the game resolution. Kinda annoying still.

It's nice to see the game on here, I was not expecting to see it with the other games gog.com have declined to sell.

Also if anyone is curious, there is a nude texture for the girl in the game in the game files, you can insert it into the game by doing some easy editing. So that way you're nude, an official nude texture! Errr, not that I condone such things, being a girl myself I don't really mind it, I always thought it was funny. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone about it!
Johnmourby: Who else saw the word Heretic and thought "GOG's got Ravensoft games!"?
revanbh: How I would love to see those games here. It totally baffles me how no one is making any new RPGs with Ravenloft as a setting. It's my favorite D&D world and I'm kinda sick of Forgotten Realms. Imagine PS:T like game set in Ravenloft? Until the day comes when someone kickstarts such a game, GOG, please bring Ravenloft into your game library.
Small misunderstanding. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders is a Ravensoft Game.

Raven Software made very good FPS games like Heretic, Soldier of Fortune, Jedi Outcast, Quake 4 and Singularity.

But yeah from all I know Ravenloft does sound both cool and underused

By a weird co-incidence here Heretic actually is a Swords and Sorcery themed FPS.
revanbh: How I would love to see those games here. It totally baffles me how no one is making any new RPGs with Ravenloft as a setting. It's my favorite D&D world and I'm kinda sick of Forgotten Realms. Imagine PS:T like game set in Ravenloft? Until the day comes when someone kickstarts such a game, GOG, please bring Ravenloft into your game library.
Johnmourby: Small misunderstanding. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders is a Ravensoft Game.

Raven Software made very good FPS games like Heretic, Soldier of Fortune, Jedi Outcast, Quake 4 and Singularity.

But yeah from all I know Ravenloft does sound both cool and underused

By a weird co-incidence here Heretic actually is a Swords and Sorcery themed FPS.
Oh yeah, saw that later. Still my original OP stands. Raven Software has some great games. I've been playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy to death back in the day. Heretic as well.
Post edited November 28, 2013 by revanbh
At first I read Heretic, but then... sob
A game where I get to destroy anything and everyone religious? Count me in! :p

This game seems like an inversion of Inquisitor, and it's only a fraction of the price, neat!

Thanks IamSiniStar and tfishell! I had never even heard of it before now.
The "Kult Heretic Kingdoms" page over at http://www.games-farm.com/ lists some features that look interesting that GOG doesn't mention:

* When dungeons have been cleared, new monsters gradually move in and take their place - affect the population of a dungeon by what you choose to kill.
* Unique Attunement system allows you to empower your character dynamically - choose the path of the mage, and attune yourself to magic, or the path of the warrior and master devastating Criticals. Change your Attunements each day to explore new options.
* Dialogue Engine that reflects the changing nature of the world in reaction to the player's actions.

Can anyone who's played the game comment on whether these features work well/meaningfully in the game? (I'm wondering if GOG didn't mention them because they don't really reflect how the game plays.)
This looks awesome. Thanks to all involved in getting this here.
I've actually been looking for this game for a long time. Thanks, GOG!
Well hello there!
As the story progresses, you will be placed in an amoral world and left to decide your own morality. Just like the real world, your actions have consequences, and it is up to you to decide if you can live with them or not. Play as an altruistic heroine, a vicious and selfish egotist, or just a woman trying to get her job done – your actions will lead you to one of six different endings depending on where you decide your loyalties lie.
What's that? Choices with actual consequences? In an an RPG? Say it isn't so!

Definitely wishlisted, will probably pick it up in December.

Huge thanks to IAmSinistar and tfishell! And the GOG team of course. :)

Also, yes, this was a great game for the 666th! :D
Post edited November 28, 2013 by Melhelix
Fesin: I hope you at least get the game for free for your work. ;)
I'm actually not a fan of the genre; I'll be satisfied when GOG brings the Humongous Entertainment classics. ;)
SCPM: Nice work IAmSinistar, tfishell, and GOG team! :)
Shoutout to SCPM for all his knowledge on researching game rights. ;) I suspect we'll be seeing some of the titles he helped bring eventually.

And of course the others that helped with that rights' research thread.
Post edited November 28, 2013 by tfishell
high rated
tfishell: Shoutout to SCPM for all his knowledge on researching game rights. ;) I suspect we'll be seeing some of the titles he helped bring eventually.

And of course the others that helped with that rights' research thread.
Heartily seconded. SCPM and everyone else in the research thread deserves credit for this, as things there are very much a group effort, even when we each pursue our own trails along the way. I certainly wouldn't have even begun the process without them, and the back-and-forth of the group is what makes the real progress happen.
Damn. I thought "Heretic: Inquisition" was a new game in the Heretic/Hexen universe. It even got my hopes up for seeing titles from id Software (apoart from their Softdisk oldies like Dangerous Dave) and Raven on GoG. =/

Heretic: Kingdoms - The Inquisition I've never heard about. What kind of ARPG is it? Is it pretty much 50-50 action-story, like Divine Divinity or is it 110% action like Torchlight?
TheJadedOne: snip
It's been a while since I finished it, but I'll see what I can do.

Dungeon population is noticeable, but since I always cleared areas, I don't really know to what extent. For me it generally meant that the next time I entered a dungeon, it had a completely different population.

The attunement system is kinda neat, and strange at first. Attunements are basically Heretic Kingdoms' equivalent of skills, perks, spells and all that. Rather than unlocking them by leveling, they are bound to items and the only way to get them is to use their respective items (sometimes under other requirements). You can only have a limited amount of active attunements at the same time, which you can change at camps.
By sticking to the same gear, or even a certain type of gear, you can miss out on some great attunements.

I haven't played the game multiple times, so I don't know how dynamic the dialogue is.

I also recall an interesting, yet wonderfully exploitable health system. Healing items can't be used up, instead, every time you use them, you lose a little bit of max HP, which can only be restored by resting at camps. Since max HP didn't degrade that much, simply spamming the heal button was quite a viable way to not die during battles. It might have been tweaked in a patch though.

Lastly, you can also switch to a parallel plane known as the spirit world (aka, same map with a blue filter). There you will only encounter spectral enemies. Nothing too exiting, but the switching without restrictions could be used as a tactical advantage.
I am told this is a good game. I borrowed the CD from a friend a while ago and couldn't have it working on a Windows Vista PC, let's see how this one fares on a new Windows 8.1.
Aemenyn: Dungeon population is noticeable, but since I always cleared areas, I don't really know to what extent.
I was thinking maybe it could be used strategically somehow. For example, if certain tough enemies of yours don't like (fight with) certain beasties (and vice-versa), maybe you could clear out other creatures and let the beneficial beasties grow in numbers over time, then lead those enemies into an ambush of sorts, making them easier to take out.

Or maybe you can "farm" certain creatures (like milk cows) so you'd want a lot of them?

Or maybe if they have specific item drops you can effectively "save up" those items in creature form (though that would be assuming limited inventory slots).

Or maybe you can choose to kill only the creatures that attack you on sight, thereby encouraging the passive creatures to multiply, eventually making it so you can just walk through without having to fight. (Or conversely, always get rid of the "worthless" passive creatures with poor loot drops so you can get the better ones.)

I'm just wondering what the gameplay hook is for this game feature (or if it's just a curiosity they added that has no actual impact on gameplay).

Aemenyn: parallel plane [...] same map with a blue filter
Ah -- that probably explains why two of the screenshots (1st and 9th) look about the same except for the color.