It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The famed campaigns of Alexander the Great, Hannibal, and Julius Caesar.

Great Battles Collector's Edition, an anthology of three realistic classic turn-based historical wargames, recreating the famous campaigns of iconic military leaders, with scenario editor included, is available on GOG.com, for only $5.99.

If soldiers are the cogs of war, the generals are the springs at the heart of the mechanism, making the whole thing tick in an orderly fashion. Throughout the history of military, there were many great leaders presenting unbelievable tactical genius that could turn around the course of what seemed like a lost battle. Some of them achieved such a feat once in the whole lifetime, being at the right place in the right time by a twist of fate and history. There were also some, that took the great battle with them, anywhere they went. This collection of games tells the story of three such brilliant tacticians.

Great Battles Collector's Edition is an anthology containing three classic wargames: Great Battles of Alexander, Great Battles of Hannibal, and Great Battles of Caesar. In total, the numbers of historical scenarios you can play here amounts to over 30. The games are heavy on realism, accurately depicting the historical units and equipment. With clear visuals and turn-based combat mechanics you have the chance to follow in the great leaders' footsteps, matching or even improving their battlefield performance. With the added scenario editor providing unlimited supply of challenges, you could command virtual armies for months!

Recreate some the greatest military events in history with Great Battles Collector's Edition, now on GOG.com, for only $5.99!
Selderij is obviously trolling. Is there a way to automatically hide his posts from my screen?
Post edited May 01, 2013 by trusteft
oh look a fight, and someone dropped the "run along and let the grownups ... " line. Genius. Criticism is always welcome but try not to act like the guys who made this game used to steal your lunch money in school, it's just silly. You're putting way too much effort in posting about a game you hate. I don't like a lot of games either but that doesn't make me want to climb up a hill and shout it at everyone and get mad if they don't agree, except for borderlands, borderlands is a horrible game and I want my 5 euros back |:
low rated
trusteft: Selderij is obviously trolling. Is there a way to automatically hide his posts from my screen?
How precious. You've pointed out not a single factual error in what I've said (even when I prompted you to do that) while I've corrected you on several matters, so it must mean that I'm trolling. No, it's you who's trolling. In fact, I can see your trollface from here!

You can pre-emptively hide my posts by not posting silly things about other forum users. You're the one who started with the "so much hatred" and "relax dude" nonsense simply because I elaborated on what I originally said, seeing how you conveniently disregarded the game's critical reception on account of some turn-based hate movement.

morciu: oh look a fight, and someone dropped the "run along and let the grownups ... " line. Genius.
I think it's hilarious that you're ignoring the context of what I was replying to, just so you could get at me. Congrats, you just won 2 internet points. Note that there was no "fight" before dirtyharry50's first and only contribution to this little forum saga.

morciu: Criticism is always welcome but try not to act like the guys who made this game used to steal your lunch money in school, it's just silly. You're putting way too much effort in posting about a game you hate. I don't like a lot of games either but that doesn't make me want to climb up a hill and shout it at everyone and get mad if they don't agree, except for borderlands, borderlands is a horrible game and I want my 5 euros back |:
How exactly am I acting in a way that seems overly vindicative towards a game? Here's a rundown of what I've done:
1) I wrote a 2-star review validly pointing out why I'm not fond of the game
2) I reminded here that a game with modest contemporary ratings is not suddenly going to be great, seeing how the release thread had garnered so much naïve excitement probably partly owing to its previously unbroken 5 star review and rating streak.
3) Thereafter I replied to posts that were directed at me, explaining my views in finer detail and responding to rhetorical aggression.
Post edited May 01, 2013 by Selderij
trusteft: Wow, so much hatred that it doesn't make any sense.
Selderij: "So much hatred"? Read my posts again. All I did was point out the obvious. If you see my input as blind hatred, the logical thing for you would be to point out my factual errors and the intense emotions apparent in my rhetoric.

trusteft: Panzer General btw was released 3 years before this game.
Selderij: For your information, Panzer General 2 was released in 1997 and People's General was released in 1998, roughly the same timespan as the Great Battles series. That makes it a pretty good benchmark to counter your explanation about RTS preference distorting the score.

trusteft: It's ok if this game isn't your type, but dude, relax. I never cared more about graphics than gameplay, but if you have a problem with the graphics of this game, don't play it. Everyone who doesn't care that much, can still do.
Selderij: Relax yourself please, no reason to get hyperdefensive. The overall effect of the graphics and sounds in this game series is that it feels clinical: cold, detached and generally soulless. You might be able to look past it but those ingredients are still there, and it didn't escape contemporary reviews either.

And no, I don't plan on playing the game anymore, thanks for your concern though.

dirtyharry50: Do you have some sort of agenda here, some axe to grind or something? You've previously made clear your distaste for this particular game and also in your review of it on this site.

We get it. You don't care for it. That's fine. Thanks for the feedback. You can stop now - message received.
Selderij: Why do you feel the need to stifle non-praising opinions about this game? Do you have some sort of agenda here? I get it, you love the game, that's fine and I thank you for your feedback. Run along now and let the grownups freely express their views on a discussion forum meant for exactly that.

Of course, on a site where some 80% of the entire catalog has an average rating of at least 4 out of 5 – better than most of those games could've ever hoped to get from a contemporary audience – a 2-star review may be seen as an outright declaration of war against the game, its makers and anyone who's ever bought or played it. So I actually do understand your reaction since you're probably just not used to other than nostalgic and positive exchanges of opinion.
Nice way to completely skirt the point I was making to you. Let's review, shall we?

You wrote a damning review about the game expressing your opinion of it.

You wrote more than one negative post here where you are basically repeating yourself about why you dislike this game.

I simply called you out on that and advised you that we got the message, the implication being that you need not parrot it endlessly.

Before you lecture me about adult behavior, you might try engaging in some yourself.

It's fine that you don't like these games and shared why you feel that way. At some point though, making repeated assertions about how terrible they are is not helpful. It is simply annoying.

I provided a counterpoint to your views in the form of three separate professional reviews of the games which go into more detail about them than you did such that people might take all opinions and more importantly information about them into account and make their own educated choice. I don't think there was anything particularly childish about that. On the other hand your repeated rants call into question your own maturity level at times.

I will also add that I have made exactly one positive comment about the games in the same post where I provided links to the reviews where I mention they look good to me. That's it. There is no comparison to be made between my advocacy for them and your hatred for them. Nice try though.
trusteft: Selderij is obviously trolling. Is there a way to automatically hide his posts from my screen?
Selderij: How precious. You've pointed out not a single factual error in what I've said (even when I prompted you to do that) while I've corrected you on several matters, so it must mean that I'm trolling. No, it's you who's trolling. In fact, I can see your trollface from here!

You can pre-emptively hide my posts by not posting silly things about other forum users. You're the one who started with the "so much hatred" and "relax dude" nonsense simply because I elaborated on what I originally said, seeing how you conveniently disregarded the game's critical reception on account of some turn-based hate movement.

morciu: oh look a fight, and someone dropped the "run along and let the grownups ... " line. Genius.
Selderij: I think it's hilarious that you're ignoring the context of what I was replying to, just so you could get at me. Congrats, you just won 2 internet points. Note that there was no "fight" before dirtyharry50's first and only contribution to this little forum saga.

morciu: Criticism is always welcome but try not to act like the guys who made this game used to steal your lunch money in school, it's just silly. You're putting way too much effort in posting about a game you hate. I don't like a lot of games either but that doesn't make me want to climb up a hill and shout it at everyone and get mad if they don't agree, except for borderlands, borderlands is a horrible game and I want my 5 euros back |:
Selderij: How exactly am I acting in a way that seems overly vindicative towards a game? Here's a rundown of what I've done:
1) I wrote a 2-star review validly pointing out why I'm not fond of the game
2) I reminded here that a game with modest contemporary ratings is not suddenly going to be great, seeing how the release thread had garnered so much naïve excitement probably partly owing to its previously unbroken 5 star review and rating streak.
3) Thereafter I replied to posts that were directed at me, explaining my views in finer detail and responding to rhetorical aggression.
I think it's hilarious too, really i do. Don't know what made your undies so tight but you were spreading bad vibes in a forum about a game that doesn't really concern you (because apparently you don't like it), there are people here that genuinely love the game but you went out of your way to try to argue with them that they are somehow wrong for getting excited about it ("naïve excitement"). Even if the game was a piece of turd you're entitled to your opinion and by all means say it but have a little consideration for people that happen to enjoy that piece of turd. No one was being overly mean or aggressive to you but whatever, have fun with whatever it is you're trying to do, I'm gonna move my letters and spaces to anther part of gog.
low rated
dirtyharry50: Before you lecture me about adult behavior, you might try engaging in some yourself.

I provided a counterpoint to your views in the form of three separate professional reviews of the games which go into more detail about them than you did such that people might take all opinions and more importantly information about them into account and make their own educated choice. I don't think there was anything particularly childish about that.
Somehow I knew you'd stick to the adult remark. Children and childish people always have something to prove in that regard.

dirtyharry50: It's fine that you don't like these games and shared why you feel that way. At some point though, making repeated assertions about how terrible they are is not helpful. It is simply annoying.

On the other hand your repeated rants call into question your own maturity level at times.
I'm interested in what you see as a rant that compromises the maturity of its writer. I provided the main points supporting the game's non-stellarness once in a review and once in this thread only as a response to another post before you thought best to shut me up.

dirtyharry50: I will also add that I have made exactly one positive comment about the games in the same post where I provided links to the reviews where I mention they look good to me. That's it. There is no comparison to be made between my advocacy for them and your hatred for them. Nice try though.
Yes, it totally insults my every fiber that a game series such as Great Battles exists! For proof, just consult my posts that are simply sizzling with rage.

It's also entertaining to see that you took my obvious throwback of your own post as an independent assault that you're trying so hard to prove wrong. I guess I assumed that having your words directed at yourself would've helped you see what a self-important prig you were towards me.
dirtyharry50: Before you lecture me about adult behavior, you might try engaging in some yourself.

I provided a counterpoint to your views in the form of three separate professional reviews of the games which go into more detail about them than you did such that people might take all opinions and more importantly information about them into account and make their own educated choice. I don't think there was anything particularly childish about that.
Selderij: Somehow I knew you'd stick to the adult remark. Children and childish people always have something to prove in that regard.

dirtyharry50: It's fine that you don't like these games and shared why you feel that way. At some point though, making repeated assertions about how terrible they are is not helpful. It is simply annoying.

On the other hand your repeated rants call into question your own maturity level at times.
Selderij: I'm interested in what you see as a rant that compromises the maturity of its writer. I provided the main points supporting the game's non-stellarness once in a review and once in this thread only as a response to another post before you thought best to shut me up.

dirtyharry50: I will also add that I have made exactly one positive comment about the games in the same post where I provided links to the reviews where I mention they look good to me. That's it. There is no comparison to be made between my advocacy for them and your hatred for them. Nice try though.
Selderij: Yes, it totally insults my every fiber that a game series such as Great Battles exists! For proof, just consult my posts that are simply sizzling with rage.

It's also entertaining to see that you took my obvious throwback of your own post as an independent assault that you're trying so hard to prove wrong. I guess I assumed that having your words directed at yourself would've helped you see what a self-important prig you were towards me.
I'm not going to waste any more of my time going back and forth with you about any of this. Unlike you, I don't have anything to prove here. Good luck to you. I hope you learn to calm down and not be so miserable over trivia in the future. I come here to enjoy the good company of other gamers who love classics and gaming in general as I do, not to argue with people about them.
low rated
morciu: I think it's hilarious too, really i do. Don't know what made your undies so tight but you were spreading bad vibes in a forum about a game that doesn't really concern you (because apparently you don't like it), there are people here that genuinely love the game but you went out of your way to try to argue with them that they are somehow wrong for getting excited about it ("naïve excitement"). Even if the game was a piece of turd you're entitled to your opinion and by all means say it but have a little consideration for people that happen to enjoy that piece of turd. No one was being overly mean or aggressive to you but whatever, have fun with whatever it is you're trying to do, I'm gonna move my letters and spaces to anther part of gog.
1) The game doesn't concern me because I don't like it – what amazing logic!
2) I went out of my way to make people feel bad simply by responding to their inflammatory posts – seems legit.
3) I'm inconsiderate towards people who already like the game because I've explained why I don't care for it myself – but of course, bad me! Might I add that I did a massive disservice to people who hadn't bought the game yet by offering them a differing opinion with argued points that they might see as important.
4) Nobody who implied that I had deep emotional issues with the game was being overly aggressive or mean in an attempt to discredit my opinion – yeah, no bias here!

By the way, I'm still waiting to hear from you about what makes you feel that I'm on a warpath here. It's indeed fascinating that when someone is outright invited to explain what exactly makes me wrong or emotionally unstable, nothing coherent comes out. Is that some kind of new exit strategy for lost arguments?
morciu: I think it's hilarious too, really i do. Don't know what made your undies so tight but you were spreading bad vibes in a forum about a game that doesn't really concern you (because apparently you don't like it), there are people here that genuinely love the game but you went out of your way to try to argue with them that they are somehow wrong for getting excited about it ("naïve excitement"). Even if the game was a piece of turd you're entitled to your opinion and by all means say it but have a little consideration for people that happen to enjoy that piece of turd. No one was being overly mean or aggressive to you but whatever, have fun with whatever it is you're trying to do, I'm gonna move my letters and spaces to anther part of gog.
Selderij: 1) The game doesn't concern me because I don't like it – what amazing logic!
2) I went out of my way to make people feel bad simply by responding to their inflammatory posts – seems legit.
3) I'm inconsiderate towards people who already like the game because I've explained why I don't care for it myself – but of course, bad me! Might I add that I did a massive disservice to people who hadn't bought the game yet by offering them a differing opinion with argued points that they might see as important.
4) Nobody who implied that I had deep emotional issues with the game was being overly aggressive or mean in an attempt to discredit my opinion – yeah, no bias here!

By the way, I'm still waiting to hear from you about what makes you feel that I'm on a warpath here. It's indeed fascinating that when someone is outright invited to explain what exactly makes me wrong or emotionally unstable, nothing coherent comes out. Is that some kind of new exit strategy for lost arguments?
:)

I'm out, really, please let this die or if you really can't help it send pm's or something. best of luck to you
* grabs popcorn *
low rated
dirtyharry50: I'm not going to waste any more of my time going back and forth with you about any of this. Unlike you, I don't have anything to prove here. Good luck to you. I hope you learn to calm down and not be so miserable over trivia in the future.
It must have been daunting for you to obsess over single remarks in a post responding to your own thoughtless ravings. I recommend you reserve a lot of time to calm and recuperate.

dirtyharry50: I come here to enjoy the good company of other gamers who love classics and gaming in general as I do, not to argue with people about them.
Believe it or not, I already gathered that much from your panic attack over someone not liking a game and presenting arguments to back it up on GOG.com.

Funnily enough, this is now the third time someone calls it quits immediately after they're presented with a supposedly irresistible opportunity to explain in detail why I'm wrong or mad about the game, possibly making me lose the argument. Should I interpret this peculiar coincidence so that it's actually you who's wrong and emotional about this?
Is this like the fields of glory series? I am a bit apprehensive about playing scenario based strategy but it seems that nothing satisfies my needs as of the moment so I might as well try to dive in to the series
towerbooks3192: Is this like the fields of glory series? I am a bit apprehensive about playing scenario based strategy but it seems that nothing satisfies my needs as of the moment so I might as well try to dive in to the series
I have never played FOG by Slitherine, but they sure look similar.
high rated
dirtyharry50: I'm not going to waste any more of my time going back and forth with you about any of this. Unlike you, I don't have anything to prove here. Good luck to you. I hope you learn to calm down and not be so miserable over trivia in the future.
Selderij: It must have been daunting for you to obsess over single remarks in a post responding to your own thoughtless ravings. I recommend you reserve a lot of time to calm and recuperate.

dirtyharry50: I come here to enjoy the good company of other gamers who love classics and gaming in general as I do, not to argue with people about them.
Selderij: Believe it or not, I already gathered that much from your panic attack over someone not liking a game and presenting arguments to back it up on GOG.com.

Funnily enough, this is now the third time someone calls it quits immediately after they're presented with a supposedly irresistible opportunity to explain in detail why I'm wrong or mad about the game, possibly making me lose the argument. Should I interpret this peculiar coincidence so that it's actually you who's wrong and emotional about this?
I wasn't going to do this but I cannot resist.

No, you should interpret people bailing from conversation with you as a sign they don't want to talk to you anymore. You seem an intelligent guy, if high strung, and yet you don't recognize when people have simply had enough of dealing with you?

These announcement threads are generally, ideally, a nice place for people to be glad about a new release on GOG which GOG has selected for us I'm sure, in the hopes we will enjoy it and they will sell a lot of them. It's one thing to make a single remark about why you don't care for a particular game, although one could also argue why say anything if you don't have something nice to say and it is another to repeat oneself bashing the game when speaking to someone who has indicated they are glad the title is here. You could have let that slide, you know? You could have just let the guy enjoy his happy day. He's already played it and knows he likes it and is glad it is here. Why did you need to get into it with him about how no, he is wrong, you are right and the game sucks?

Does any of that make any sense to you at all? I got a little irritated reading that and made a comment to you about us getting the message, you don't like the games, etc. Well, I still stand by that remark. You wrote your review, you made your comment, there was no need to go on and on defending it. You could have and in my opinion should have just let it go at that point.

Why rain on people's parade in new release threads? Yeah, it does get annoying and I don't mean just you either. I don't see what good comes of shitting on people who are happy to see a new game here they would like to play again. I just don't see any need for that at all.

If you really felt some need to be people's savior by warning them about how terrible it would be for them were they to purchase this game, you could write a review and warn them and this you did. Enough is enough man. Let it go please.

If you want to know why I think the games will be reasonably fun for me personally, go read the Gamespot reviews I linked. In those reviews they talk about the games in detail, including faults in them as well as good things about them. I'm satisfied after reading those reviews that I can safely blow six bucks and have some fun with them. I do not need your help in making this decision and I do not need to argue with you about its validity.

You seem to feel you are engaged in some sort of argument about them, I presume the argument being whether they are bad or good. You can't define that for other people. Even games commonly accepted as among the worst can be a fine guilty pleasure for some. You can only define good and bad as absolutes for you. Some people have fun playing Daikatana. Some people have fun playing Master of Orion 3. Who are you to tell them they are wrong? It's their fun, their time, their money. Can you let them be happy in peace? Is that so hard?
low rated
dirtyharry50: I wasn't going to do this but I cannot resist.

No, you should interpret people bailing from conversation with you as a sign they don't want to talk to you anymore. You seem an intelligent guy, if high strung, and yet you don't recognize when people have simply had enough of dealing with you?
Let me expand on that theory: you decide you've "had enough" because you realize that you can't point out a single thing in my text that would support your rhetorical aggression towards me, and so you'd rather switch the subject and fade than attempt to back your inflammatory words with proper arguments.

dirtyharry50: These announcement threads are generally, ideally, a nice place for people to be glad about a new release on GOG which GOG has selected for us I'm sure, in the hopes we will enjoy it and they will sell a lot of them. It's one thing to make a single remark about why you don't care for a particular game, although one could also argue why say anything if you don't have something nice to say and it is another to repeat oneself bashing the game when speaking to someone who has indicated they are glad the title is here. You could have let that slide, you know? You could have just let the guy enjoy his happy day. He's already played it and knows he likes it and is glad it is here. Why did you need to get into it with him about how no, he is wrong, you are right and the game sucks?
I truly fail to see how one person's differing opinion can ruin anyone's day. You go to a forum to read and write different points of view, ideally ones that are backed up with examples or arguments, which is the basis of fruitful interaction. Pretending that there's nothing wrong with a released game is a disservice to anyone who's looking for honest peer feedback on the game to support a buying decision. I happened to see a disproportionally positive reception for a game series I knew wasn't anything special even at its original release, so I wanted to give my two cents in the form of a reminder that games aren't analogous to fine wine.

dirtyharry50: Does any of that make any sense to you at all? I got a little irritated reading that and made a comment to you about us getting the message, you don't like the games, etc. Well, I still stand by that remark. You wrote your review, you made your comment, there was no need to go on and on defending it. You could have and in my opinion should have just let it go at that point.
I can't stress enough that I intended my first short post to be the only one in this thread, and I posted the second one due to trusteft's poorly based dismissal of what I said. Read the whole chain of discourse from the beginning to the end and you'll see that all my posts after the first one have been responses to continued attempts to discredit me.

You on the other hand showed a blatant lack of respect towards fellow forum users (not only me, mind you) by rudely attempting to shut up someone you didn't agree with.

dirtyharry50: Why rain on people's parade in new release threads? Yeah, it does get annoying and I don't mean just you either. I don't see what good comes of shitting on people who are happy to see a new game here they would like to play again. I just don't see any need for that at all.
I'm having a hard time understanding your obsession with non-contradiction on an internet discussion forum. It seems that your premise is that GOG.com's forum is a nice little social club where everyone can stop by to agree with one another so as to avoid stress and butthurt. My premise is that it's for discussing games regardless of what one has to say about them.

dirtyharry50: I do not need your help in making this decision and I do not need to argue with you about its validity.
I'm sure you don't and I didn't try to force my opinion on you, but it seems you're all too happy to antagonize me regardless.

dirtyharry50: You seem to feel you are engaged in some sort of argument about them, I presume the argument being whether they are bad or good. You can't define that for other people. Even games commonly accepted as among the worst can be a fine guilty pleasure for some. You can only define good and bad as absolutes for you. Some people have fun playing Daikatana. Some people have fun playing Master of Orion 3. Who are you to tell them they are wrong? It's their fun, their time, their money. Can you let them be happy in peace? Is that so hard?
My statements were a) the game hasn't gotten better with age, and b) I don't much care for the game.
After only two posts on my part the discussion permanently shifted to whether or not I'm a raging zealot who's out to destroy anything that pertains to Great Battles. Read the discussion and be ashamed!