It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just how they used to make them.

Eschalon Book I, an old-school RPG with open world, isometric graphics, and classic gameplay mechanics, is available 50% off on GOG.com. That's only $2.99 for the first week!

If you're an old-time computer role-playing fan, the chances are that you said the following at least once in your life: "They don't make cRPGs as they used to, nowadays". For the better part, you would be correct. Most of the modern role-playing games don't look nor play like their classic predecessors. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not as good, but they are--well--different. For all gamers disappointed by that state of things, here's a title custom-tailored to their nostalgic needs!

Eschalon Book I was developed by people who are old-time hardcore computer role-players themselves, and you can see it in every aspect of their brilliant game. With classic isometric graphics, traditional gameplay mechanics, a large open-ended world, tons of quests, and randomly generated loot, this game is everything you need to get into that nostalgic mood only a fantasy adventure can induce. Highly recommended to all cRPG gamers!

Prepare for a truly old-school and satisfying cRPG experience with Eschalon Book I, for only $2.99! That's 50% off the regular price until Tuesday, May 14, at 9:59AM GMT.
deathknight1728: If your like me and don't fancy the fallout series, try this game. ...
...The Quest which is the only game similar to Eschalon. ...
From Eschalon's screenies, I'm more or less sure it looks and plays like Avadon the black fortress, available here on GOG.

I found Avadon to be a rather boring game that takes a long time to pick up.
Just my personal opinion, but I think graphics in Eschalon series are way easier on the eyes compared to Spiderweb Software games (though I must admit Avadon was an improvement over Vogel's previous games).
tarangwydion: Just my personal opinion, but I think graphics in Eschalon series are way easier on the eyes compared to Spiderweb Software games (though I must admit Avadon was an improvement over Vogel's previous games).
I would have to agree with you on that one, I thought some of the color chooses in Geneforge were a bit questionable but maybe there were some kind of limitations that caused that.
tarangwydion: Just my personal opinion, but I think graphics in Eschalon series are way easier on the eyes compared to Spiderweb Software games (though I must admit Avadon was an improvement over Vogel's previous games).
Completely agree :)

Spiderweb's games are amazing, highly recommend, but their graphics. Truly awful :)
Bloodygoodgames: Completely agree :)

Spiderweb's games are amazing, highly recommend, but their graphics. Truly awful :)
With respect to everyone else's opinions, I have to say I like the visuals in the Avernum series. At least from part IV onward. The first 3 were a little too old school for me.
Bloodygoodgames: Completely agree :)

MindsEyeSplinter: With respect to everyone else's opinions, I have to say I like the visuals in the Avernum series. At least from part IV onward. The first 3 were a little too old school for me.
LOL -- I think fluorescent green and pink is a bit much personally. Hurts my eyes :)
Immoli: You're kidding, right?
Not at all.
MindsEyeSplinter: With respect to everyone else's opinions, I have to say I like the visuals in the Avernum series. At least from part IV onward. The first 3 were a little too old school for me.
Bloodygoodgames: LOL -- I think fluorescent green and pink is a bit much personally. Hurts my eyes :)
I thought girls like that kind of stuff. *ducks and covers* =P
Bloodygoodgames: LOL -- I think fluorescent green and pink is a bit much personally. Hurts my eyes :)
The visuals in Avernum 5, 6, Geneforge 4 and 5 and Avadon and the newest Avernum are good in my opinion. I didn't care for anything below that. Mostly I find the visuals in the game I mentioned to be awesome because I grew up on appreciating old school Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale1. I find any of the new stuff nowadays to be awful as it just doesn't work.

Same reason I wont play anything from Bioware from Jade Empire onward. Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, and basically anything on a console.

The only games that come out on console nowadays are shooters. There used to be some cool games when I was a kid that didn't have too bad graphics on sega and what not. There was this one game named "Kid Chameleon" which still is one of the coolest ideas for a game ever. Its hard as fuck too. Me and my brother still couldn't beat it after 8 years later.
Post edited May 08, 2013 by deathknight1728
I just read that Eschalon uses a food mechanic? I guess there never has been an idea bad enough that someone doesn't feel nostalgic for it.

Anyway, based purely on the screenshots, I'd call the graphics more nondescript than anything else; it's not Geneforge with its neon green grass, anyway. However, the desert screenshot struck me as pretty bad; I realize a desert doesn't lend itself to a lot of variety, but using the same icon next to each-other that much is pretty jarring.
BadDecissions: I just read that Eschalon uses a food mechanic?
Only Book 2, and it's optional.
I've had some issues with the demo, and emailed the devs about it. Basically I wanted to know if they had plans to go back and "fix" issues with Book 1. Thought I'd share their response. Paraphrased:

Typos - the book 1 demo hasn't been updated in a long time. The full game probably has a lot fewer typos.

Walking - we've increased walk speed in 2 and 3. No plans to change it in 1.

Keyboard movement - we've added keyboard moves in 2 and 3. No plans to add it in 1.

Double click = go to and use - Not in our games and no plans to add it.

I'm still undecided on whether to get the games or not. I was hoping that after 3 was released they'd pack them all up and polish them, maybe something like a tutu adaptation, but it appears they're not going to do that. They're done with 1 and moved on. Hmmm... guess I'll keep playing the demo until I decide.
BadDecissions: I just read that Eschalon uses a food mechanic? I guess there never has been an idea bad enough that someone doesn't feel nostalgic for it.
Blasphemer! Get 'im!
BadDecissions: I just read that Eschalon uses a food mechanic? I guess there never has been an idea bad enough that someone doesn't feel nostalgic for it.
adamzs: Blasphemer! Get 'im!
Alternatively we can just let him starve to death.
This is a fantastic series, I recommend everyone give it a try.