It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Note: Following some discussions with Iceberg Interactive, we have been asked to remove Dark Matter from sale while the developer addresses the fact that the game's ending has some problems. The game will remain available for download for anyone who has already bought it. The developers have stated that they are working on a patch as a solution to this, and as we mentioned yesterday, anyone who wants a refund on their copy of their game is free to contact Support and we'll take care of you. Our apologies about this, and we hope that this helps address the problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.

Dark Matter, a Sci-Fi thriller that challenges you to explore the dark corridors of a defunct spacecraft where light is as scarce as the resources you need to survive.

What is Dark Matter? Imagine you're stranded in a giant defunct space exploration vessel, and you are not alone on board. There's an ominous alien parasitic presence lurking at every corner, hiding away in the air-shafts, creeping through the conduits. This is a metroidvania-type title set in deep space, where no one can hear you scream, curse at your enemies, or call for mummy when you're lost in the vast labyrinth of dark corridors. In this non-linear survival and exploration action game you'll be challenged to make it through 14 danger-filled areas designed in the spirit of the darkest gritty hard S-F. With four upgradable guns, crafting mechanics, resource management, dynamic lightning that genuinely affects gameplay, and a reactive soundtrack, this gripping game is sure to stop your heart a few times as you play.
fylchi: And, yeah, you're right -- last I checked, MOO3 was the worst rated game in GOGdom at 2 stars, so, I guess we have a new champion?
Yes, it is the lowest rated. The one below it is unreleased, and therefore has no rating. I ordered the games by user rating and held down the End key for awhile :P.
Post edited October 22, 2013 by tharglet
TheEnigmaticT: All;

It's come to our attention that the gamecard for Dark Matter was not quite specific enough about the nature of the game and, as a result, it may be that some people bought the title with some misapprehensions as to how the game's story would end. Since we don't ever want to sell a game to someone because they believe it is something that it is not, we wanted to let you know about this and let you know what we're doing to make it right.

If you bought Dark Matter before 21 October 2013 at 15:00 GMT (when we updated the description to where we feel it adequately reflects the game) and you feel that the game wasn't as promised to you, please contact Support and they'll be happy to offer you full refund to your card or, if you''d prefer, games of equal or lesser value to the sale price of Dark Matter (which is $13.49).

We're sorry if anyone who bought the game isn't happy with the way it was represented, and we hope this makes it right for you guys.

If you've got any questions, hit me up and I'll try to answer 'em for you.
jimbob0i0: JudasIscariot - did you play this to conclusion? What did you think of using a weapon (and the Teleport skill referred to) in the tutorial not being used or even available in the actual game?
Actually, no.I put about two hours of testing into it and it seemed like a good title. I saw a game with cool mechanics, a promising start, and interesting progression. But let me explain why:

Generally, our team gets evaluation builds that aren't quite finished yet; they're usually nearly there, but they can be missing pieces of various sizes. We also don't finish most of the brand-new games that we're given before releasing because we usually get the final builds 1 - 3 days before they go live. This is not enough time to test almost any game to completion when you have 4 - 6 games coming out each week.

On a personal note, evaluating a game means I can't make a speed run through it, it takes time, and, in this case, I didn't have time to finish the game before my available time to evaluate this was up.
Post edited October 22, 2013 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: Actually, no.I put about two hours of testing into it and it seemed like a good title. I saw a game with cool mechanics, a promising start, and interesting progression. But let me explain why:

Generally, our team gets evaluation builds that aren't quite finished yet; they're usually nearly there, but they can be missing pieces of various sizes. We also don't finish any of the brand-new games that we're given before releasing because we usually get the final builds 1 - 3 days before they go live. This is not enough time to test almost any game to completion when you have 4 - 6 games coming out each week.

On a personal note, evaluating a game means I can't make a speed run through it, it takes time, and, in this case, I didn't have time to finish the game before my available time to evaluate this was up.
That makes a lot of sense - and I guess this must be quite the disappointing situation for you then (perhaps even moreso) ...

Thanks for the frank response there.
JudasIscariot: Actually, no.I put about two hours of testing into it and it seemed like a good title. I saw a game with cool mechanics, a promising start, and interesting progression. But let me explain why:

Generally, our team gets evaluation builds that aren't quite finished yet; they're usually nearly there, but they can be missing pieces of various sizes. We also don't finish any of the brand-new games that we're given before releasing because we usually get the final builds 1 - 3 days before they go live. This is not enough time to test almost any game to completion when you have 4 - 6 games coming out each week.

jimbob0i0: That makes a lot of sense - and I guess this must be quite the disappointing situation for you then (perhaps even moreso) ...

It very much is as when I tell folks about a game, I don't try to sell it, per se, but to let others know at least a bit about the game since there wasn't a demo. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is mislead people about a game :/
jimbob0i0: That makes a lot of sense - and I guess this must be quite the disappointing situation for you then (perhaps even moreso) ...

JudasIscariot: It very much is as when I tell folks about a game, I don't try to sell it, per se, but to let others know at least a bit about the game since there wasn't a demo. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is mislead people about a game :/
That makes a lot of sense. The game really does hold up pretty well for the first 2 hours or so. I thought I was going to get a cross between "the dark project" and system shock. I think that's exactly why the way it just sort of quits in mid-mission is so infuriating -- you'd just finished an intro section and stuff was just getting started.

Anyway, I'm not surprised you poor taffers have a lot on your plates. Thanks again for making this right for us.
Following some discussions with Iceberg Interactive, we have been asked to remove Dark Matter for sale while the developer addresses the fact that the game's ending has some problems. The game will remain available for download for anyone who has already bought it. The developers have stated that they are working on a patch as a solution to this, and as we mentioned yesterday, anyone who wants a refund on their copy of their game is free to contact Support and we'll take care of you. Our apologies about this, and we hope that this helps address the problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up.
TheEnigmaticT: Following some discussions with Iceberg Interactive, we have been asked to remove Dark Matter for sale while the developer addresses the fact that the game's ending has some problems. The game will remain available for download for anyone who has already bought it. The developers have stated that they are working on a patch as a solution to this, and as we mentioned yesterday, anyone who wants a refund on their copy of their game is free to contact Support and we'll take care of you. Our apologies about this, and we hope that this helps address the problem. If you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up.
GreenManGaming have also pulled it...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/action/dark-matter/ is a page not found now... Although since they issued steam codes I think the fact steam pulled it was probably linked...

Given that all the actual devs were laid off from InterWave leaving the bosses I think it being 'fixed' is optimistic but good on you doing refunds!
TheEnigmaticT: Following some discussions with Iceberg Interactive, we have been asked to remove Dark Matter for sale while the developer addresses the fact that the game's ending has some problems.
Given the backlash here and across the web, this is a logical move on the part of Iceberg. I only hope they are reimbursing the vendors who took a chance on stocking the title, like GOG.
this is why I love gog, they care about their customers (offering a refund)
TheEnigmaticT: Following some discussions with Iceberg Interactive, we have been asked to remove Dark Matter for sale while the developer addresses the fact that the game's ending has some problems.
IAmSinistar: Given the backlash here and across the web, this is a logical move on the part of Iceberg. I only hope they are reimbursing the vendors who took a chance on stocking the title, like GOG.
Well, _if_ Iceberg feels that they ought to make up for this not-so-stellar release ... I think they have a couple of titles that would fit quite well in GOG's catalog. Darkness Within, Baron Wittard, Barrow Hill, some strategy titles, perhaps Gas Guzzlers Extreme if it's a good game ...

That's one of the reasons why I would have understood if GOG had kept the game on sale. Why burn bridges with someone who has things that you might want? :) But it seems that Iceberg is now pulling the game from all distributors for the time being, in that case there's indeed little reason to keep it on GOG.
Hi, I wish to get Dark Matters refunded.
I bought it before the 21'st October.
Is there a place I should send an email to get it refunded?
tommacool: Hi, I wish to get Dark Matters refunded.
I bought it before the 21'st October.
Is there a place I should send an email to get it refunded?
Yes, please write to our Support department via the Contact Us link or the Support link for the game on your shelf :)
Dark Matter - The 404 page has never been more appropriate, given the assumed role of dark matter in cosmology.
See, GOG? I told you that The Stanley Parable would have been a better release. :P

But seriously, I hope everyone who felt scammed by this game can get a refund.
I figured the game was going to be delisted, so I tried a little experiment. I added the game to my cart and went to the checkout page and left that open as a separate tab. Since the game has been delisted now (and from other open GOG tabs in my browser my cart is displayed as empty) I tried buying the game just now and it worked. So, if in the future anyone's afraid that a game will be removed from the catalog for any reason, you can try just adding the games to your cart, going to checkout, and never close or refresh that tab. Can't guarantee it'll work every time though.