It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What kind of hero will you be when our new big publisher joins GOG.com?

Wow, a Monday release and big news today? Is it the end of days?

As we‘ve already told you, 2012 will be a year of grandeur for GOG.com. To prove that, another big publisher will join GOG.com in a move that wasn’t predicted even by the Mayans (and they knew a lot about 2012). Our new publisher carries an impressive portfolio with some of your all-time favorite game heroes that will join the GOG.com catalog in coming weeks. Two game characters that are now a standard in their genres will grace our catalog on this Thursday with as we launch the publisher with style, bringing you two new games on one day.

What kind of hero will you be on that day? What are our two major releases?

GOG.com will be giving you clues about the new publisher right here on our forums, hints about one of the two heroes you’ll see on Thursday via and clues about the other hero on [url=http://www.facebook.com/gogcom]Facebook.
cj13810: could I be gears of war. I say this because it says that the two game characters that are a standard to there genre. Marcus and Dom are both standards to the cover and shoot genre
Gears of War?! Umm.... no.
Where is the hint?
Mmm...

Sam & Max
(a detective dog who uses his rabbit friend in various ways to solve a mystery)

Star Wars: Dark Forces
(a undercover Rebel agent who fights the Empire from inside)

(I would love to see LucasArts, as most of their games are region restricted for
distribution)

Edit: ...and Lucasfilm was founded in 1971, well before creating the branch Lucasfilm Games in 1982 to publish video games. It was only years later (1990) that a new company was formed under the name LucasArts.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Scureuil
samoan: Where is the hint?
Twitter and Facebook. Plus the one with the date, which was released on the previous page.
I'm of the same mind of a lot of people saying Eidos/Squenix.

47 is cold, solid, and used to "work" for a large organization. Garret is more the hidden hero.
discordiac: Wow, I'm constantly amazed how much can you deduce from clues we're leaving.

Publisher hint:
The company decided to make PC games in 1982, but its beginnings date several years back.
So, in 1982:

- Lucasarts is founded as the videogame division of Lucasfilm
- The japanese company Eidansha Boshu Service Center (est. 1975) is renamed as Enix.

you're a mean person.
discordiac: Wow, I'm constantly amazed how much can you deduce from clues we're leaving.

Publisher hint:
The company decided to make PC games in 1982, but its beginnings date several years back.
svmariscal: So, in 1982:

- The japanese company Eidansha Boshu Service Center (est. 1975) is renamed as Enix.

you're a mean person.
And in October 1982, Konami began manufacturing and selling PC games...
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Lafazar

Publisher hint:
Well, since Square Enix is an amalgam of Square and Enix (the latter a subsidiary of Eidansha Boshu Service Center created in 1982), but wasn't around in 1982 in its present form, I would have to say LucasArts because they were around as a company before 1982 (thanks be to Star Wars!), which is when they created a division specificity for video games - including the PC.

Checkmate, GOG.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Expack

you're a mean person.
Let's not fret and just wait for Thursday.

Although, my money is still on SquareEidosEnix, because they've shown a willingness to sell FF7 PC digitally, but not the willingness to get it to run (while GOG has shown they can get games to run).
Post edited January 24, 2012 by TVs_Frank
If it's Thief, I'll dance a jig!

Honestly, I could care less about Lucasarts games, unless it's X-Wing or Tie Fighter. All the others, I already have.

you're a mean person.
Those GOG folks do it on purpose.

They will release LucasArts or Eidos/SE on thursday, and then go to the second and will show them "look Eidos/SE / LucasArts. We released SE / LA recently, but our users were begging us to release your games. They were throwing money at their screens. Don' t you want those money? Don't you?

And then we will have another big publisher on GOG.
Cadaver747: I want to believe that presented picture is the Thief Gold box art.
ne_zavarj: Or Sam in pixels . :)
( cartoonish colours )
No, really Sam & Max is good, however Thief is the true masterpiece! :)
I can't remember, does Agent 47 speak both Russian and French?
Hints til now:
GoG homepage: Be the best hidden hero
Two game characters that are now a standard in their genres

Facebook: Hero 1. Hint: He/She is not a hidden hero
Hero 1: is cold, solid, and a bit of a loner. Also, he "works" for a huge organization.

Both heroes that will be joining GoG are on this list: http://www.empireonline.com/features/50-greatest-video-game-characters/

Twitter: Hero 2.Kind of hero that knows how to stay unnoticed.
Hero 2: Kind of hero that was friends with a rabbit.
Hero 2: Kind of hero that can speak French and Russian ( I noticed Agent 47 speaks both those languages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_47#Appearance )

GoG Forum: The company decided to make PC games in 1982, but its beginnings date several years back.

TheJoe: It's Eidos / Square Enix whatever they're called this week.

First game will be Thief Gold (image by Daedolon)
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Callust
It's Hitman
Twitter:
Hero 2: Will you be the kind of hero that can speak French and Russian.

Wiki:
"(...)he can speak French, English and Russian fluently."