It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What kind of hero will you be when our new big publisher joins GOG.com?

Wow, a Monday release and big news today? Is it the end of days?

As we‘ve already told you, 2012 will be a year of grandeur for GOG.com. To prove that, another big publisher will join GOG.com in a move that wasn’t predicted even by the Mayans (and they knew a lot about 2012). Our new publisher carries an impressive portfolio with some of your all-time favorite game heroes that will join the GOG.com catalog in coming weeks. Two game characters that are now a standard in their genres will grace our catalog on this Thursday with as we launch the publisher with style, bringing you two new games on one day.

What kind of hero will you be on that day? What are our two major releases?

GOG.com will be giving you clues about the new publisher right here on our forums, hints about one of the two heroes you’ll see on Thursday via and clues about the other hero on [url=http://www.facebook.com/gogcom]Facebook.
kodeen: Sounds like Enix, of SquareEnixEidos fame:
So I guess its still down to SquareEnixEidos or LucasArts.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Trevorish
If this is Grim Fandango it's going to be amazing!
kodeen: Sounds like Enix, of SquareEnixEidos fame:
Trevorish: So I guess its still down to SquareEnixEidos or LucasArts.
100% Square Enix/Eidos. unless you can point out what kind of "hidden heros" LucasArts have and how pixelated art from announcement is related to them.
"Two game characters that are now a standard in their genres will grace our catalog on this Thursday with as we launch the publisher with style, bringing you two new games on one day."

Aren't Thief and Hitman both in the same genre?

EDIT:
keeveek: 100% Square Enix/Eidos. unless you can point out what kind of "hidden heros" LucasArts have and how pixelated art from announcement is related to them.
Well hidden hero doesn't necessarily mean stealth. It could refer to an unlikely hero or a hero with a secret identity. However, I agree with you that Eidos seems most likely. I just wouldn't be too quick to say its 100% likely.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Trevorish
Asbeau: Looks like we're going to be 'hitting the road' on Thursday then?
gibbeynator: Isn't Hit the Road another one of those rights nightmares? LucasArts owns the games, but not the actual characters of Sam and Max, right?
The game, singular. LucasArts only ever produced one Sam & Max game, two others began production but were discontinued before release - the last of them because LA shifted its focus from adventures to more action-oriented games. Later Steve Purcell (creator and owner of the characters) started working with Telltale (themselves partially former LA workers, if I remember correctly) to produce the episodic series.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Miaghstir
well, darn it, the 1982 reference does make LucasArts the more probable publisher.

i've mixed feelings towards adding LA games to GoG. on the one hand, they are a must-have for every site calling itself "Good Old Games". their games were genre-defining.

on the other hand, LA games aren't quite as hard to find as other publishers' older games. several Star Wars games, including all the Jedi Knight games, as well as several classic LA adventures are already on Steam.

i'd prefer GoG to focus on games that aren't available anywhere else, yet. that's what made the EA games so great. GoG was the first place those games showed up since they had gone out of print years ago.

still, Lucas Arts is mandatory for GoG, sooner or later, and who knows, maybe there'll be something that's not yet on Steam.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by Fred_DM
No.

Thief and Hitman are as similar to each other as turtle and snail. Both are slow, but everything else is different.
Post edited January 24, 2012 by keeveek
Trevorish: "Two game characters that are now a standard in their genres will grace our catalog on this Thursday with as we launch the publisher with style, bringing you two new games on one day."

Aren't Thief and Hitman both in the same genre?
Given the trailers for the latest Hitman, it would appear Square Eidoes does not agree.
gibbeynator: Isn't Hit the Road another one of those rights nightmares? LucasArts owns the games, but not the actual characters of Sam and Max, right?
Miaghstir: The game, singular. LucasArts only ever produced one Sam & Max game, two others began production but were discontinued before release - the last of them because LA shifted its focus from adventures to more action-oriented games. Later Steve Purcell (creator and owner of the characters) started working with Telltale (themselves partially former LA workers, if I remember correctly) to produce the episodic series.
I meant just the one game, it just came out as "games".
gibbeynator: I meant just the one game, it just came out as "games".
Right, and I started ranting. Sorry about that. :-)
I'm thinking of Garret, too. Him or D&D franchise, either.
gibbeynator: If it weren't for the fact they said new publisher, my answer would have been "Fighter, wizard, thief or paladin", and then rejoiced at the fact we would probably be finally getting Quest for Glory.

But I'm going to have to say Eidos, with the possibility of Final Fantasy 7. What kind of hero will you be? How about the kind of hero who isn't that much of a hero at all.
No, QFG is the one major "quest" series that has never been compiled after the the big box collection done just prior to the release of QFG 5 back when (Vivendi?) did the "Collection Series" of all of the Quest games in the late 90s.

Not sure why it wasn't released in an "updated" collection when they did the dosbox repacks of LSL/SQ/KQ, but.

Wouldn't hold my breath for it now.

Same deal with Lucasarts coming on board. They've made it very clear they have no interest in their back catalog, so as much as I'd love to see DOTT or Grim Fandango or Full Throttle, it's very unlikely.
could I be gears of war. I say this because it says that the two game characters that are a standard to there genre. Marcus and Dom are both standards to the cover and shoot genre
cj13810: could I be gears of war. I say this because it says that the two game characters that are a standard to there genre. Marcus and Dom are both standards to the cover and shoot genre
It's two games, not one game with two characters.
discordiac: Wow, I'm constantly amazed how much can you deduce from clues we're leaving.

Publisher hint:
The company decided to make PC games in 1982, but its beginnings date several years back.
Lafazar: In that case it's KONAMI:
"October 1982, Konami began manufacturing and selling PC games."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami
Yes, please... Vandal Hearts.