It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Survey Results: See what the future of GOG.com holds!

A few weeks ago we asked you to fill out a survey about some of the possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might move into in the future. We also promised that we’d share the results with you, and they are below. Before we get to that, though, we did want to let you know what these mean to us:

1. We remain committed to bringing you guys the best games from all of gaming history, on both PC and Mac. This means that while we’re exploring ways to bring you new games, we also are committed to bringing classics back to life as well. This year alone has seen Omikron, System Shock 2, the Leisure Suit Larry series, Strike Commander, and even Daikatana!

2. DLC is a controversial issue, but something that has been in gaming—by another name—since the very early days. You guys seem to understand that it’s not possible for us to sign new games with all of their DLC (before it is even made) bundled in, and it looks like you’re willing to either buy DLC or not as you find it interesting. As part of our continual efforts to improve the user experience on GOG.com, we will be looking at new, better ways to present DLC in our catalog as well.

3. Selling episodic content before the “season” is finished is also something we’re looking forward to bringing you in the future, and you seem to agree.

4. Season passes—for both DLC and for episodic content—clearly have a mixed perception here. Season passes—if we do offer them—are something that we’ll approach with deliberation to make sure that we’re confident that the content that is promised will all be delivered.

5. Finally, we have somewhat conflicting information on the persistent multiplayer features; when discussed in a very abstract fashion (as it was in the first survey), it’s a very clear “no.” When mentioned in a specific game that we’ve shown you, it’s an equally clear “yes.” What we’re going to be sure of, going forward, is that we’re very careful that any game that we bring you guys with persistent multiplayer features will be at least as offline-friendly as Planetary Annihilation is.

One of the defining characteristics of GOG.com is that the games that we sell have no DRM; this isn't going to change, and we will continue to evaluate the games that we bring to you to make sure that they're not only great games, but great games that we think will fit in well with how we do business.

<iframe src="http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/19169133?rel=0" width="590" height="472" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" style="border:1px solid #CCC;border-width:1px 1px 0;margin-bottom:5px" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen> </iframe>

Thank you for responding to our surveys in such large numbers. GOG.com would be a mere shadow of itself if it wasn't for its incredible, open, friendly, and active community--that is you!
Post edited April 19, 2013 by G-Doc
Crassmaster: Just so we know : are you actually planning to present a real argument based in reality at some point, or should we just expect more stomping of the feet and empty blathering?
To counter what "argument" exactly?
JMich: It was mentioned in either the "About us" page or the "Our mission" page. It has since dissappeared (I think in the March 2012 site revamp), but if you really want to, I can try to find it.
Ah, ok. It was actually removed? No need to dig up a link, I trust your memory if that was the case.
PenutBrittle: Ah, ok. It was actually removed? No need to dig up a link, I trust your memory if that was the case.
Quick look through the wayback archive shows that the "About Us" page never mentioned complete editions. Only the extra goodies with every game. I do recall reading (or was it hearing?) about complete editions at some point, but for the life of me I can't recall where. Should I be able to find the mentioning, I will post it.
PenutBrittle: Ah, ok. It was actually removed? No need to dig up a link, I trust your memory if that was the case.
JMich: Quick look through the wayback archive shows that the "About Us" page never mentioned complete editions. Only the extra goodies with every game. I do recall reading (or was it hearing?) about complete editions at some point, but for the life of me I can't recall where. Should I be able to find the mentioning, I will post it.
I think it's in some of TET's reassuring posts. Something like "We work tirelessly to bring you the bestest, most complete editions of classic games".
Post edited April 22, 2013 by Adzeth
A little bit of related material from 2012 for context.

This is the GOG that has proven they deserve the benefit of the doubt rather than the (completely reasonable) skepticism that most outlets have earned.

0.02 FRN
Legion
Adzeth: I think it's in some of TET's reassuring posts. Something like "We work tirelessly to bring you the bestest, most complete editions of classic games".
It could also be in last year's conference, when they announced the "Deluxe Edition" games.
JMich: Quick look through the wayback archive shows that the "About Us" page never mentioned complete editions. Only the extra goodies with every game. I do recall reading (or was it hearing?) about complete editions at some point, but for the life of me I can't recall where. Should I be able to find the mentioning, I will post it.
I remember reading that as well, but I think it was more in line with simple conversations and assumptions.

People have grown accustomed to getting the full game (game and expansion + patches and extras). So I think expectations have grown to that and a few posts may have been made saying they will try to keep it up. I never took it to mean it was the mission statement.

I joined based on the following mission statement: "#1 DRM-Free Games" (and that #1 was actually and is actually in print in the promises, not something I added ;) )
Post edited April 22, 2013 by user deleted
RoseLegion: A little bit of related material from 2012 for context.

This is the GOG that has proven they deserve the benefit of the doubt rather than the (completely reasonable) skepticism that most outlets have earned.

0.02 FRN
Legion
ah, the article where Marcin Iwinski talks about how sales devalues games and criticizes Steam sales, a few months before gOg start doing their own 75-85% sales and PWYW bundles. Good times :)

(not sure if that was your point, though, it could have been about how GoG is to be DRM free and have fair regional pricing)
Crassmaster: Just so we know : are you actually planning to present a real argument based in reality at some point, or should we just expect more stomping of the feet and empty blathering?
SPTX: To counter what "argument" exactly?
How about actually, you know, presenting one of your own? Might actually help one of those wacky 'conversation' things happen. As opposed to everyone just basically laughing at you.
Crassmaster: How about actually, you know, presenting one of your own? Might actually help one of those wacky 'conversation' things happen. As opposed to everyone just basically laughing at you.
He nitpicked scams, to compare them to good old expansions thinking it somehow justifies today's DLC bullshit.That's as fallacious as it can get.
You want an argument?
Expansions had their money worth, "DLC" have not, bare a few exception that are actually expansions but called DLC out of standardisation.
I checked and didn't see this posted yet, but PC Gamer did a small article on the survey results.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/22/gog-survey-results-show-customers-reaction-to-dlc-drm-and-pre-release-alphas/
RoseLegion: A little bit of related material from 2012 for context.

0.02 FRN
Legion
amok: ah, the article where Marcin Iwinski talks about how sales devalues games and criticizes Steam sales, a few months before gOg start doing their own 75-85% sales and PWYW bundles. Good times :)

(not sure if that was your point, though, it could have been about how GoG is to be DRM free and have fair regional pricing)
I suppose my point was kind of both really ;)
sort of a nod that yes they're a business and yeah they make mistakes on top of that but as long as their core motivations remain delivering value, interaction and DRM free to us then it'll work itself out.

Also that I think it's important to remember these past changes didn't end GOG or it's quality, but not to dismiss the value of vocal users who pointed out possible pitfalls of those changes. While most (all?) of those pitfalls have not come to pass I personally don't think that means no one should have spoken out about them, rather that speaking out ensures the pitfalls are known quantities which warrant an address.

Of course it's a public statement/interview so everyone is more than free to draw their own conclusions from the information provided =)

Cheers,
Legion
Crassmaster: How about actually, you know, presenting one of your own? Might actually help one of those wacky 'conversation' things happen. As opposed to everyone just basically laughing at you.
SPTX: He nitpicked scams, to compare them to good old expansions thinking it somehow justifies today's DLC bullshit.That's as fallacious as it can get.
You want an argument?
Expansions had their money worth, "DLC" have not, bare a few exception that are actually expansions but called DLC out of standardisation.
His point was that there have ALWAYS been ripoffs. Expansions weren't some guaranteed mark of quality content, just like there is no guarantee that all DLC is of a high caliber.

There were good and bad expansions. There are good and bad DLC packs. Describing the entire medium of DLC as bad because of the bad examples is no different than describing all expansions as crap because some of them weren't very good.

Like most everything else, it isn't a simplistic black and white issue.
SPTX: He nitpicked scams, to compare them to good old expansions thinking it somehow justifies today's DLC bullshit.That's as fallacious as it can get.
Give me a timeframe and a number of "scammy" expansions you wish me to post then. Do you want normal and deluxe editions, with option to upgrade from normal to the deluxe, made pre-1995? A dozen or so from the master itself, Origin.
Want me to post map packs? Take a look at Master Levels of Doom (or any other Doom "expansion").
You prefer another fps example? Duke it Out in DC.

The reason I keep posting TD2 is because it's the oldest I can find. I could probably go farther back if I also looked for hardware requirements, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

Oh, and one more thing.
SPTX: Expansions had their money worth, "DLC" have not,
mondo84: I checked and didn't see this posted yet, but PC Gamer did a small article on the survey results.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/22/gog-survey-results-show-customers-reaction-to-dlc-drm-and-pre-release-alphas/
"Which makes it hard to draw firm conclusions."

I disagree with that. Seems incredibly easy to draw conclusions. People don't want DRM. The broad question asked if we would play a game that forced us online. The overwhelming answer was no. The second question clarified and let us know that the online piece was optional with a fully working and DRM-free offline version... so we voted yes (overwhelmingly). What is there not to conclude? DRM = no. DRM-free = yes. No need to overthink it, Mr. PCGamer :p