It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Survey Results: See what the future of GOG.com holds!

A few weeks ago we asked you to fill out a survey about some of the possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might move into in the future. We also promised that we’d share the results with you, and they are below. Before we get to that, though, we did want to let you know what these mean to us:

1. We remain committed to bringing you guys the best games from all of gaming history, on both PC and Mac. This means that while we’re exploring ways to bring you new games, we also are committed to bringing classics back to life as well. This year alone has seen Omikron, System Shock 2, the Leisure Suit Larry series, Strike Commander, and even Daikatana!

2. DLC is a controversial issue, but something that has been in gaming—by another name—since the very early days. You guys seem to understand that it’s not possible for us to sign new games with all of their DLC (before it is even made) bundled in, and it looks like you’re willing to either buy DLC or not as you find it interesting. As part of our continual efforts to improve the user experience on GOG.com, we will be looking at new, better ways to present DLC in our catalog as well.

3. Selling episodic content before the “season” is finished is also something we’re looking forward to bringing you in the future, and you seem to agree.

4. Season passes—for both DLC and for episodic content—clearly have a mixed perception here. Season passes—if we do offer them—are something that we’ll approach with deliberation to make sure that we’re confident that the content that is promised will all be delivered.

5. Finally, we have somewhat conflicting information on the persistent multiplayer features; when discussed in a very abstract fashion (as it was in the first survey), it’s a very clear “no.” When mentioned in a specific game that we’ve shown you, it’s an equally clear “yes.” What we’re going to be sure of, going forward, is that we’re very careful that any game that we bring you guys with persistent multiplayer features will be at least as offline-friendly as Planetary Annihilation is.

One of the defining characteristics of GOG.com is that the games that we sell have no DRM; this isn't going to change, and we will continue to evaluate the games that we bring to you to make sure that they're not only great games, but great games that we think will fit in well with how we do business.

<iframe src="http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/19169133?rel=0" width="590" height="472" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" style="border:1px solid #CCC;border-width:1px 1px 0;margin-bottom:5px" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen> </iframe>

Thank you for responding to our surveys in such large numbers. GOG.com would be a mere shadow of itself if it wasn't for its incredible, open, friendly, and active community--that is you!
Post edited April 19, 2013 by G-Doc
jalister: Some examples of how I would like to benefit from GOG offering DLC.

Fallout 3 Game of the Year
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
Morrowwind Game of the Year
Oblivion Game of the Year
Mass Effect 2 Ultimate Edition
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition
Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year
Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition

I still want to buy the 3 missing Neverwinter Nights premium modules, which included Infinite Dungeons.
Eh, but they are all complete editions. So no DLC will be involved . . .
" What we’re going to be sure of, going forward, is that we’re very careful that any game that we bring you guys with persistent multiplayer features will be at least as offline-friendly as Planetary Annihilation is. "

This was what I expected from that last question.
I'm not a fan of DLC as it tends to be today. Bring back true expansions!

However, if GOG can provide DLC without DRM, then I say let them do it. GOG needs to compete if they want to stay at the top. I just request that they keep the site clean. Keep DLC listed on the games page, maybe a tab. Don't make entire pages for each DLC.

Let's show the publishers that DLC does not equal DRM.

For the record, a recent post of mine shows I prefer complete games. I would prefer GotY and Ultimate Editions, instead of being nickled and dimed.
SPTX: Yes, scamming people didn't get invented in 2012. It changes everything!
I'm sorry, first image showed "expansion packs", not DLCs. So any hate towards DLCs should go towards expansion packs as well.
Second picture shows that trying to milk the customer for money is also not something done "nowdays" as you claimed.

Apologies for being a bit snarkier than usual, but I do tend to jump on people who make claims about the video game industry of today while ignoring the fact that the very same things happened 30 years ago as well.

So yes, if you don't like DLC, don't buy it, but do not attempt to deny me the option of buying it myself. I do bite.
SPTX: That's (wrongfully) called a gold/goty version. why not only sell those then? It's way more user friendly and stands right by the principles I mentioned earlier.
Why only sell these? I rather have service which doesn't decide for me what is good (pointing at GOG) and what isn't. Same with DLCs. A human has a brain to use. GOG gives options, it's up to customers to decide if they want it or not. If they are afraid of being scammed by a lack of possible important DLC, they can wait next 10 years for their good old GOTY. If they aren't, let them buy it.
I fail to see how it is user-hostile if a distributor offers choices without restrictions.

I understand that it's outside of your expectations and I respect that but it can be hardly seen as a decision violating customers. If anything, it might open doors to releases of eventually complete DRM-free editions which aren't available anywhere right now.
GOG.com: One of the defining characteristics of GOG.com is that the games that we sell have no DRM; this isn't going to change, and we will continue to evaluate the games that we bring to you to make sure that they're not only great games, but great games that we think will fit in well with how we do business.
Since I can't play some GOGs on Linux because of the game's DRM still being active, the bolded claim annoys me somewhat.

It should be:
GOG.com: One of the defining characteristics of GOG.com is that the games that we sell have DRM bound-and-gagged-in-the-corner-on-supported-systems; this isn't going to change, and we will continue to evaluate the games that we bring to you to make sure that they're not only great games, but great games that we think will fit in well with how we do business.
F4LL0UT: Also I honestly believe that the people who will actually benefit from those early versions either by using those to provide good feedback for the developers or just enjoying them without ruining the experience for themselves are a minority. I believe that many people just didn't give much thought to it, that they just thought "cool, I get to play the game early!" and voted "yes" without understanding what it's like to play a game TOO EARLY.
I don't know. Steam introduced alpha funding and the world hasn't collapsed yet. :P And helping with alpha funding on sites like Steam and GOG just give more recognition meaning bigger chances for the game to be made.

I don't understand why people voted against multiplayer focused games either, though...
F4LL0UT: Also I honestly believe that the people who will actually benefit from those early versions either by using those to provide good feedback for the developers or just enjoying them without ruining the experience for themselves are a minority. I believe that many people just didn't give much thought to it, that they just thought "cool, I get to play the game early!" and voted "yes" without understanding what it's like to play a game TOO EARLY.
keeveek: I don't know. Steam introduced alpha funding and the world hasn't collapsed yet. :P And helping with alpha funding on sites like Steam and GOG just give more recognition meaning bigger chances for the game to be made.

I don't understand why people voted against multiplayer focused games either, though...
Are you honestly arguing that it would be good for GOG because Steam already does it?? O_o 'Cos I'm pretty sure that lots of GOGers regard Steam as second in line to Cthulhu... Just sayin'.
Post edited April 19, 2013 by zlep
zlep: 'Cos I'm pretty sure that lots of GOGers regard Steam as second in line to Cthulhu... Just sayin'.
Well sure, but then there are people who don't think it's the second coolest thing ever :P
keeveek: I don't know. Steam introduced alpha funding and the world hasn't collapsed yet. :P And helping with alpha funding on sites like Steam and GOG just give more recognition meaning bigger chances for the game to be made.

zlep: Are you honestly arguing that it would be good for GOG because Steam already does it?? O_o 'Cos I'm pretty sure that lots of GOGers regard Steam as second in line to Cthulhu... Just sayin'.
Doing the same as Steam doesn't mean that they have to do it the same way as Steam.

Just in case, I prefer a 10000% GOG before Steam and if I want to buy a game I would buy it here instead of buying it at Steam. GOG got La Mulana before Steam :)
keeveek: I don't know. Steam introduced alpha funding and the world hasn't collapsed yet. :P
Yeah, but Steam is providing services, not products. :P
zlep: Are you honestly arguing that it would be good for GOG because Steam already does it?? O_o 'Cos I'm pretty sure that lots of GOGers regard Steam as second in line to Cthulhu... Just sayin'.
Well, since Steam is offering games, I guess GOG should stop doing that, because whatever steam does is evil.

And Steam does that reasonably. It's a separate part of the site, like greenlight, so if you don't like it, you don't even have to see it.
Post edited April 19, 2013 by keeveek
I hate season passes. Total ripoffs. DLC as well. However GOG seems to think that DLC is the same as expansions (but with a different name bleh) .. The f? Have you EVER seen an expansion that only contains, oh I dunno, blood? Textures? Weapons? No? You'd be right .......
Post edited April 19, 2013 by bouncedk
Technically, every game we purchase online and download is Downloadable Content.

Whether it is a GOTY, Gold, Platinum, etc. Edition, or a base Game before any DLC added content has been created, and then getting the added content separately, it is all digital distribution.

Ideally, we would like to get a game in a “complete package”, that would be preferred in most instances. But to assert that a game is incomplete, just because you don’t have all the DLC is not a valid argument. And it is absurd to argue that you don’t have a complete game, when the added content hasn’t even been created.

If you are talking about getting a “complete game experience”, then there is merit to arguments about what content should be included with Game releases.

Omerta is a bad example of what DLC can be, or what new games coming to GoG can be. Even still, there has already been a sale including the DLC Free. The Developers have shown they can be flexible, and since this is all new, pricing by what the new content offers will balance itself out.

Contrary to most people’s instincts in this age of Corporate Lawlessness and un-restrained Greed, we should try to remember that not every Business is in business to try to cheat us.

One promising innovation I have seen here on GoG, is their ability to link sales with the content we have already purchased. This will come in handy when the DLC for new games are released after we already own the games.
Wait, what? People don't want GOG to sell games that have DLC? You know if you don't want DLC to be supported, you can simply choose not to buy it, or the games that have it. People who buy games with DLC will still buy them somewhere else if they can't get it on GOG. GOG not carrying it won't change anything, so why deny them the money they can make off it?
Post edited April 19, 2013 by Sinfullyvannila