It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We (still) want to hear from you!

We recently asked you guys for feedback based on some potential games that we may be able to sign in the future. The results were pretty clear--and we will be sharing them with you all soon--but we did want to ask you a single follow-up question with an actual real-world game example. One of the games that we would like to add to our catalog is Planetary Annihilation. This is an RTS with many modern gaming features, and we figured we'd use it as our test example.

<iframe width="590" height="332" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xpze54xgqtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Planetary Annihilation is distinctive for the following:

- Multiplayer and skirmish focused gameplay; there is no story-based single-player campaign, but AI skirmish matches provide a great single player experience.
- Optional persistent online features such as scoreboards, social features, achievements, and the online multiplayer campaign - a persistent galaxy-wide war; an account with the developer's online service is required in order to use these features.
- No activation, unique codes, or third-party accounts are required for single-player play or, LAN/direct connection multiplayer.
- A unique key is required for Internet multiplayer, and an account with the developer's service is only required for the persistent online features.

Now, that you know about the game's specifics, here's our question:
Post edited April 15, 2013 by G-Doc
Bloodygoodgames: Gamersgate started doing things like this....slowly adding just a couple of games that needed Steam. Now, you can barely buy ANY games on Gamersgate that don't require Steam. And, mark my words, GOG goes this direction it will be exactly the same -- moving faster and faster down a slippery slope.
I think that the slippery slope argument only works if you believe that we're robots who don't exercise our own discretion on what we do and do not sign. And that we somehow forget that Steam is an actual DRM service. :P
Bloodygoodgames: Gamersgate started doing things like this....slowly adding just a couple of games that needed Steam. Now, you can barely buy ANY games on Gamersgate that don't require Steam. And, mark my words, GOG goes this direction it will be exactly the same -- moving faster and faster down a slippery slope.
TheEnigmaticT: I think that the slippery slope argument only works if you believe that we're robots who don't exercise our own discretion on what we do and do not sign. And that we somehow forget that Steam is an actual DRM service. :P
This... Steam prevent all aspect in game (single & multiplayer)....

Look at DEFCON etc , the multiplayer require key activation..There are several game here like that..

So if the vote majority no, maybe GOG will remove that games..
I've been following this game very closely since it was announced, and there is one thing I'd like to clarify. It's not just LAN multiplayer that would be unencumbered. You would be able to play the game online on custom servers without the need for a key. If UberNet ever died for some reason, there would be nothing stopping the modding community from implementing all the features that a key would get you. (In fact, they did just this with the Forged Alliance Forever client for Supreme Commander once Gas Powered Games ended their support.)
The only reason there's a key in the first place is that Uber is paying for the UberNet servers, and they want to prevent any server overload by those who will undoubtedly pirate the game.
As long as GOG doesn't give up the good fight to get all the worthy DOS-era games here (and perhaps Amiga titles if possible), then I don't really care too much.

That being said, I personally take a depressed sigh every time a Tuesday or Thursday night passes and we get yet another 2 indie games instead of something old, not that I have anything against indie games but... yeah
Uh, no, that's not true at all. A number of Paradox titles on GamersGate aren't Steam titles (even if they're Steamworks from other vendors). It's more a case of most modern releases use Steamworks, it's no different if you buy from other online retailers. It's like complaining they sell Origin keys for EA games, when a number of EA games from the past five/six years can be redeemed on Origin (and, more recently, *require* Origin).

A lot of games on GamersGate don't require Steam. To say otherwise is a lie. And if they do, GamersGate is no different to any other vendor in that regard.
GOG.com: - Multiplayer and skirmish focused gameplay]; there is no story-based single-player campaign, but AI skirmish matches provide a great single player experience.
While this means the game is a no go for me, I don't see any reason to not adding it to the catalog, for those forum members interested in it. ;)
Post edited April 16, 2013 by Thespian*
yinan: So if the vote majority no, maybe GOG will remove that games..
Spolier alert: the majority are not voting "no". :P
I voted "no", and was asked to elaborate.

It comes down to this: the core value of GOG.com that makes it special to me is "DRM-free". That means: no activation, no mandatory registration, install and play my games anywhere, anytime. Games that can't fulfill that promise don't belong on GOG.com.

I'm wondering whether the core value of "DRM-free" isn't fundamentally incompatible with games that offer a persistent, online multiplayer world. There are two basic reasons that all online games require some form of authentication: authorization, ensuring that the players consuming your resources are compensating you for doing so, and accountability, ensuring that you know who and where your players are (if only by IP address), so that standards of behavior can be enforced and abuse can be deterred.

There's nothing wrong with either of these principles, for companies that want to offer a persistent online multiplayer gaming experience. Authorization is probably a baseline requirement for any company that wants to be profitable, and in a world filled with griefers and trolls, some form of accountability will be needed to attract and maintain an audience. But, authorization is also just DRM by another name, and accountability can only function if DRM-like mechanisms to restrict access are at least potentially available (if you don't play by our rules, you don't play our game).

Planetary Annihilation looks interesting, although without a single-player campaign, I doubt it would make it into my collection. But more importantly, I don't believe that the medium and method by which the game's best content is delivered are compatible with this core value of GOG.com. When you open the door to games that require DRM by another name, or need DRM-like mechanisms to be viable, you lose the ability to call yourself "DRM-free".

Just my $0.02.
Crosmando: As long as GOG doesn't give up the good fight to get all the worthy DOS-era games here (and perhaps Amiga titles if possible), then I don't really care too much.

That being said, I personally take a depressed sigh every time a Tuesday or Thursday night passes and we get yet another 2 indie games instead of something old, not that I have anything against indie games but... yeah
You know, I don't believe we've had a single week since our launch in 2008 where we haven't released at least one classic game. Excepting the few weeks at the beginning of each year where we give you guys a break.

(of course, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :P)
I just want to post this whenever I see TET. :)
Attachments:
tet.png (173 Kb)
Post edited April 16, 2013 by mondo84
santaDog78: Planetary Annihilation looks interesting, although without a single-player campaign, I doubt it would make it into my collection.
It has the same level of single-player campaign that Civilization or Master of Magic has. Random map, beat the AI.
Additionally, the persistent world (which is basically a big galaxy map with places you can move to attack) also exists in single player mode, where you will play against the AI. The difference in the online galaxy map is that instead of AI, you'll be facing human opponents. You will also need to login with your account if you want to use the automatic matchmaking, if you already know who you want to play against (direct connect) or wish to play over a LAN, you don't need the account.
Crosmando: As long as GOG doesn't give up the good fight to get all the worthy DOS-era games here (and perhaps Amiga titles if possible), then I don't really care too much.

TheEnigmaticT: You know, I don't believe we've had a single week since our launch in 2008 where we haven't released at least one classic game. Excepting the few weeks at the beginning of each year where we give you guys a break.

(of course, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :P)
Hmmm, fair enough then, perhaps my mind is exaggerating things.
As I said before, I'm fine with a CD-key being used to control an external service, such as in this case the servers being ran and supported by the company. That doesn't bother me in the least.

What does bother me is any software that is crippled unless some external authentication is cleared with a CD-key. That's DRM, plain and simple. So long as that sort of thing doesn't happen, I'm fine.

That said, games like NWN2 and ArmA 2 sort of worry me. They are both really skirting the line between DRM-free and just being a DRM'd game on GoG.
Yes, this game seems to be able to fit nicely into GOG's DRM-free model. Requiring a key for internet multiplayer seems reasonable, and that an account with the developer's service is optional is a big plus in my book.
I would buy it

Being DRM free means it fits into the norm for GOG

A seperate Key for Multiplay is ideal as you get that if you want or dont get it if you want - thats ideal

Game looks epic - cant wait