It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We (still) want to hear from you!

We recently asked you guys for feedback based on some potential games that we may be able to sign in the future. The results were pretty clear--and we will be sharing them with you all soon--but we did want to ask you a single follow-up question with an actual real-world game example. One of the games that we would like to add to our catalog is Planetary Annihilation. This is an RTS with many modern gaming features, and we figured we'd use it as our test example.

<iframe width="590" height="332" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xpze54xgqtg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Planetary Annihilation is distinctive for the following:

- Multiplayer and skirmish focused gameplay; there is no story-based single-player campaign, but AI skirmish matches provide a great single player experience.
- Optional persistent online features such as scoreboards, social features, achievements, and the online multiplayer campaign - a persistent galaxy-wide war; an account with the developer's online service is required in order to use these features.
- No activation, unique codes, or third-party accounts are required for single-player play or, LAN/direct connection multiplayer.
- A unique key is required for Internet multiplayer, and an account with the developer's service is only required for the persistent online features.

Now, that you know about the game's specifics, here's our question:
Post edited April 15, 2013 by G-Doc
Fesin: I'm with the "non issue" crowd.

Can i play it in a 100 years, provided I keep the equipment? Yes.
Can I play it offline? Yes.
Can I play in singleplayer? Yes.
Can I play with other people without having to bother with the developer? Yes.

So why the hell should I vote "No"?
The only part you forgot is "Are all the GAME features available under these conditions?" It seems like that's a yes. Who cares about achievements, leader boards or stat tracking?
I have this itch that the real issue here is not Planetary Annihilation: it is Steam.

I think the real question is more of the crossfire between developers wanting their games on GOG but can't rip out Steamworks to get it done.

An example of this: Ubisoft has dark Messiah on uplay, no steam required for SP but MP is completely broken.

This is tough, allowing steam keys for MP is risky since it erodes GoG's stance as the great opposer; at the same time giving developers a testbed for breaking away from the Steam or nothing market condition erodes Steam's dominance ...

I vote yes, since it will give publishers a look at who is on steam because they like it and who is on steam because it is inflicted on them.
I voted yes, although I'm a little burnt out on RTS games for the time being since there seems to a new one introduced to the GOG catelogue every week.
Post edited April 15, 2013 by rrr8891
Another black & white survey with no grayscales in between, so I chose not to cast a vote at all. Frankly, I don't really care all that much as long as it doesn't open the doors to DRM-ridden releases. Personally I wouldn't welcome this game on GOG, since it doesn't appeal to me at all, but I'm aware that I'm biased in this regard and who am I to say that others should not get the chance to buy it here, just because I don't like multiplayer RTS without story? As long as you keep releasing good old games and single player indies that I'm interested in, and to the same conditions, I can easily ignore all the titles in the catalogue that don't cater to my preferences and tastes (as I do already).
Sogi-Ya: This is tough, allowing steam keys for MP is risky......
Woah there, who said anything about Steam keys?

An account with the developer's service is what's required to access their online features not Steam.
I don't feel that games here should require single player, just freedom. As long as the game doesn't require any online drm elements for single player and for some form of the online play it's fine. The game used as an example here seems like the sort of game that we could provide our own servers for if the developer ever decided to stop supporting it which means that it loses no real value if the developer abandons it. In that case, it's acceptable. If it wasn't possible have LAN/Online play without the developer's servers/blessing then it would be unacceptable.
Post edited April 15, 2013 by srkelley5
As a backer of PA's Kickstarter campaign, I still had to say no.
An activation code is still DRM, no matter how minor the features it affects are (and in this case it affects the on-line campaign, which isn't minor). If the developers of PA decided they could cancel their code and remove my access to these features. Now, I don't believe that is likely to occur, but the very possibility is the sort of thing GOG.com exists to distance itself from. The principle that, once a game has been purchased, the developers and publishers should have no control over the player's copy unless the player chooses for them to, which would be violated in cases like this.
E1125: As a backer of PA's Kickstarter campaign, I still had to say no.
An activation code is still DRM, no matter how minor the features it affects are (and in this case it affects the on-line campaign, which isn't minor). If the developers of PA decided they could cancel their code and remove my access to these features. Now, I don't believe that is likely to occur, but the very possibility is the sort of thing GOG.com exists to distance itself from. The principle that, once a game has been purchased, the developers and publishers should have no control over the player's copy unless the player chooses for them to, which would be violated in cases like this.
But a number of games on GOG as it is require codes for some features, so your point is effectively moot, no?
coldalarm: But a number of games on GOG as it is require codes for some features, so your point is effectively moot, no?
Such as?
coldalarm: But a number of games on GOG as it is require codes for some features, so your point is effectively moot, no?
E1125: Such as?
Far Cry? Neverwinter Nights? Heroes of Annihilated Empires? Sacred?

Edit: Tropico 3?
Post edited April 15, 2013 by JMich
E1125: Such as?
Arma 2. Pretty sure that doesn't even have lan.
Fesin: I'm with the "non issue" crowd.

Can i play it in a 100 years, provided I keep the equipment? Yes.
Can I play it offline? Yes.
Can I play in singleplayer? Yes.
Can I play with other people without having to bother with the developer? Yes.

So why the hell should I vote "No"?
mqstout: The only part you forgot is "Are all the GAME features available under these conditions?" It seems like that's a yes. Who cares about achievements, leader boards or stat tracking?
You know this game is focused on multiplayer and the only three ways to play MP is:

LAN: Which is not possible for everyone
Hosting a game: Which not everyone is willing to give their IP to anyone
Or the developers server: Which forces you to go with DRM copy which can have the servers shutdown and lose a game.

Answering if you get the full game DRM free? The answer is no so it should not be on GOG.
Sogi-Ya: This is tough, allowing steam keys for MP is risky......
ShaolinsKunk: Woah there, who said anything about Steam keys?

An account with the developer's service is what's required to access their online features not Steam.
I did; framing the question around PA is stupid, there have been plenty of other releases on gog with cd keys required for mp so that example is a non issue except as a parallel to steam's description of service.

Here is two more titles that are probably caught in the crossfire:

Bruta Legends & Shadowrun: both games have strong potential on GoG but their MP is locked up in Steam.
I don't mind such games on GOG. Maybe they should negotiate with the publisher a minimum up-time of the game server. 5 years seems a reasonable time. Otherwise money back.
JMich: Far Cry? Neverwinter Nights? Heroes of Annihilated Empires? Sacred?

Edit: Tropico 3?
What features are lost in those cases?
Immoli: Arma 2. Pretty sure that doesn't even have lan.
So, you lose access to pretty much the entire game if your code is revoked (I believe it is a multiplayer focused game)? If so, then I am thoroughly of the opinion it shouldn't have been on GOG in the first place.