It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Final 48 hours to buy 3 games up to 85% off & unlock 3 mystery mutator games for only $2 each.

The experiment is at its peak. The game selection is reaching its critical mass, and the screens in the lab are flashing images of fun awesomeness at the speed of light. We're risking a serious joy overload here, but one who takes no chances never makes any progress!

Today, we're mixing things up one final time in our <span class="bold">Mutator Promo</span>! Both the first batch of discounted base games and the batch we've added on Wednesday, are available simultaneously! At the same time, behind the curtain, we're adding even more games to the test tubes, so - again - you can come across previously not encountered mutators!

Get at least 3 out of 70+ great titles to unlock 3 out of over 50 mystery mutator games for $2 each. What are they? Well, this wouldn't be very scientific if we knew that prior to the experiment! Might be a $5 game, might be an $45 game. Can your personal wishlist rig the outcome of the experiment? Who knows! The beauty of our chaotic universe at its finest, now in the <span class="bold">Mutator Promo</span> on GOG.com.

These are the final hours of this promo offer. It will Sunday, October 12, at 10:59AM GMT. Don't miss your chance at experiencing the wonder of discovery!
ALH: Can your personal wishlist rig the outcome of the experiment?This question is suggestive and misleading because the answer is no.
Thought about that one once more and... Is the answer really "no"? Our personal wishlists don't have any influence on the pool of available Mutators, yes, that's correct! This means, you'll never get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, because it isn't part of the promo. But this doesn't mean that your wishlist doesn't affect the outcome!

Let's say you have Blackguards, Shadowrun Returns and Battle Worlds: Kronos on your wishlist. Those games are all turn based strategy. Maybe this'll affect your chance to get Expeditions: Conquistador (another turn based strategy game)? And what happens if you have Expeditions: Conquistador on your wishlist? Does this affect your chance to get this game as a Mutator? I'm not so sure about that, so I'd be careful with the "misleading" part. I think our wishlists have some kind of effect - just not on the pool of possible Mutators ;)
quakeman: wait a minute, whats the deal here, why to pay 2$ for a random pick game, shouldn't the 3 games be FREE ?
I am new to gog but whats the cost versus fun- the final price for the 3 games you chose, and the 3 you probably you have or dont like (or are unplayable) - you would pay around 20$
- they say it may be the games in your wishlist, wouldn't be effective and cheaper to buy this games in the first place ?
-its true that at the end you have more games, but I already have 300, time I dont have.
Are you a member of the Steam generation who only buys $1 indie bundles ?
ALH: Can your personal wishlist rig the outcome of the experiment?This question is suggestive and misleading because the answer is no.
real.geizterfahr: Thought about that one once more and... Is the answer really "no"? Our personal wishlists don't have any influence on the pool of available Mutators, yes, that's correct! This means, you'll never get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, because it isn't part of the promo. But this doesn't mean that your wishlist doesn't affect the outcome!

Let's say you have Blackguards, Shadowrun Returns and Battle Worlds: Kronos on your wishlist. Those games are all turn based strategy. Maybe this'll affect your chance to get Expeditions: Conquistador (another turn based strategy game)? And what happens if you have Expeditions: Conquistador on your wishlist? Does this affect your chance to get this game as a Mutator? I'm not so sure about that, so I'd be careful with the "misleading" part. I think our wishlists have some kind of effect - just not on the pool of possible Mutators ;)
That is possible but overall the mentioned phrasings above are designed to lead one to the assumption that a) the entire catalogue is part of the promo and b) your wishlist will have an impact.Which it definitely might not.As said i definitely enjoyed this promo but hope that any future promo of this nature would be umistakably clear about its setup.
real.geizterfahr: Thought about that one once more and... Is the answer really "no"? Our personal wishlists don't have any influence on the pool of available Mutators, yes, that's correct! This means, you'll never get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, because it isn't part of the promo. But this doesn't mean that your wishlist doesn't affect the outcome!

ALH: That is possible but overall the mentioned phrasings above are designed to lead one to the assumption that a) the entire catalogue is part of the promo and b) your wishlist will have an impact.Which it definitely might not.As said i definitely enjoyed this promo but hope that any future promo of this nature would be umistakably clear about its setup.
Yep, that is why I bought 3 mutators the first row, and regret almost completely, but I got one game on my wishlish and two others I will never play, for this I tried to buy just 1 mutator on the second row... and then got the less wished game ever... so the third row even if I wanted to buy just the three main games, I totally PASS

Didnt liked this promo at all :(
Post edited October 12, 2014 by YaTEdiGo
I left my computer on the checkout page. Now that the sale is over I can see I would have gotten Smugglers V, Tzar Burden of the Crown, and Back to the Future: The Game. Back the Future was my 92% off game (I coudn't figure out the timing script thing/trick going around). Glad I didn't jump on it because I have it on Steam. Democracy 3 or Raven, The Legacy of a Master Thief is what I'd wanted. The other 2 mutators seemed great!

I wonder if the results of the experiment will be published? I don't really understand this kind of sale and why they like to do it. The gambling nature of it makes me feel uneasy.
ALH: That is possible but overall the mentioned phrasings above are designed to lead one to the assumption that a) the entire catalogue is part of the promo and b) your wishlist will have an impact.Which it definitely might not.As said i definitely enjoyed this promo but hope that any future promo of this nature would be umistakably clear about its setup.
I also think the wishlist didn't have an impact at all. My wishlisted mutator games were non-5.99$ games and I saw some of them pop up as mutators just because I owned every other mutator in that round (God Will Be Watching and Divinity Dragon Commander in round 1) and didn't see some of them at all despite also owning a large chunk of the mutators (Last Federation, Guacamelee and Gone Home in the last round). I certainly didn't feel like my wishlist influenced any of it and even if it was, there is no way to tell how much it did.
I'm not disappointed though since I looked up the possible mutators and checked which games I'd get on checkout. The news post is simply way too suggestive.
Get at least 3 out of 70+ great titles to unlock 3 out of over 50 mystery mutator games for $2 each.

Has this sentence been in the promo description from the very beginning?It surely doesn't suggest the entire catalogue as a mutator possibility.I definitely stand corrected on that one.Ah well who cares, all over and done now anyway.To me definitely a solid promo and as said now i'm looking forward to the next Insomnia Sale!
Post edited October 12, 2014 by ALH
I don't know how much influence wishlists had on the Mutator picks, but if you think about it, there's no way that GOG could allow them too much influence. Why? Because wishlists are fluid and can be changed on the fly at any point in time during the promo. How many people do you think, as soon as the list of expensive games was revealed on the forum, went out and changed their wishlist so that the only games on their wishlists were the big expensive ones like Divinity Dragon Commander, etc? I'm betting there were a lot. If you give the wishlist complete control, you might as well make it a 95% discount promo on Divinity Dragon Commander, etc...

Some complain that there were too many "cheap" $5.99 games in the promo, but the way the promo is built there has to be a win some/lose some situations. It's a gambling promo. You took that chance when you played. And, heck, it's still 66% off!

People say that they got bad games, but the funny part is not everyone can agree on what the bad games are. One person says: "I got a crappy game, Sword of the Samurai" while another person says "YES! I got Sword of the Samurai, just what I wanted!" Heck, there are people cheering and begging for Jack Keane! GOG can't know what games each person is going to be happy with and which games they're going to hate. Maybe if they were Google and not GOG, but then people would probably be complaining about being spied on.

The nature of the promo is that you might get something that you didn't want, may not like, but the truth is if you give some of these games a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised. You never know...
Post edited October 12, 2014 by yyahoo
yyahoo: I don't know how much influence wishlists had on the Mutator picks, but if you think about it, there's no way that GOG could allow them too much influence. Why? Because wishlists are fluid and can be changed on the fly at any point in time during the promo. How many people do you think, as soon as the list of expensive games was revealed on the forum, went out and changed their wishlist so that the only games on their wishlists were the big expensive ones like Divinity Dragon Commander, etc? I'm betting there were a lot. If you give the wishlist complete control, you might as well make it a 95% discount promo on Divinity Dragon Commander, etc...

Some complain that there were too many "cheap" $5.99 games in the promo, but the way the promo is built there has to be a win some/lose some situations. It's a gambling promo. You took that chance when you played. And, heck, it's still 66% off!

People say that they got bad games, but the funny part is not everyone can agree on what the bad games are. One person says: "I got a crappy game, Sword of the Samurai" while another person says "YES! I got Sword of the Samurai, just what I wanted!" Heck, there are people cheering and begging for Jack Keane! GOG can't know what games each person is going to be happy with and which games they're going to hate. Maybe if they were Google and not GOG, but then people would probably be complaining about being spied on.

The nature of the promo is that you might get something that you didn't want, may not like, but the truth is if you give some of these games a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised. You never know...
My mutations weren't to my taste - I bought the first three blind but at least had the forethought to buy as a gift code, so was able to give them away. Giving games away makes me happy (just ask Foxworks and Sachys!) so no problems there.

On the second day, I was caught out by GOG using an addition date rather than a release date for one of the games - I thought it could possibly be Knock Knock, but turned out to be Smugglers V. I haven't redeemed it yet, but I haven't given it away either. I've played the odd space trader game in the past, so I might just give this one a try. If not, my husband may like it.

I was a little disappointed that my last three mutations were absolutely nothing I'd want or even consider and there was no way for me to change them without buying three games. As there were only two games left on the list that I want here but own on Steam, it wasn't worth the money. Perhaps if GOG runs this kind of promo again, it should be one game, one mutation up to a maximum of three in one purchase. That would be my only criticism. I appreciate the opportuities GOG gives me every week to buy a game at a discount - sometimes at an incedible discount (eg. my first ever purchase here, the D&D package).

Thanks GOG for a bit of fun this week. Now, how about that Insomnia?
LynetteC: On the second day, I was caught out by GOG using an addition date rather than a release date for one of the games - I thought it could possibly be Knock Knock, but turned out to be Smugglers V.
Eh? They were ALL addition dates, not release dates!
O_o
Bah, looks like I missed it. I knew it will end today but thought it will be in the evening.
Well, there will be different promo some time in the future and Is till have a lot of games to play for now.
Why are people complaining? Did people even know about the java script that could reveal the mutator games at checkout before you paid for them?? I knew exactly what I was getting every time. I decided not to buy the mutator games because I did not like any that was assigned to me, (I got Jack Keane as one of three mutators every time.) I just bought three listed games at the last minutes, at 75 to 80 percent off, which were still good deals. (I just with I could buy more than three because I wanted another one from the list.)

Do research before you pay for something, i.e., research what was the lowest price ever for a game on sale, if there was a way to crack a secret game before you paid for it, if the GOG version has any issue or problem, etc. I did see many dishonest, selfish people in here who were trying to "con" or push other people into blindly buying mutator games, hoping that those other people would give away the mutator games later on, (so in essence, they themselves would benefit from other people buying mutator games.) But, like all other cons, you would only fall for that one if you did not do research.
Post edited October 12, 2014 by ktchong
Mutation? Are you releasing T-virus or ebola in here? So resident evil confirmed.

Also nobody knows about java script.
I saved myself the aggravation and bought 3 games that I thought that I would like to play and skipped the mutators. I had never played any of the Divinity games, but am glad I picked up Div II: Developers Cut.
LynetteC: On the second day, I was caught out by GOG using an addition date rather than a release date for one of the games - I thought it could possibly be Knock Knock, but turned out to be Smugglers V. I haven't redeemed it yet, but I haven't given it away either. I've played the odd space trader game in the past, so I might just give this one a try. If not, my husband may like it.
it is more or less turn based Pirates! in space. The game is a little too random for my tastes (you must first roll the option to run from a fight, then roll to see if it works so if an enemy battle ship attacks you in freighter and you didn't roll run you're fucked) but I still enjoyed it. It is touch screen friendly too
Post edited October 12, 2014 by Necross