It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey Goggers;

As many of you know, we announced on last Friday that we are going to introduce regional pricing for 3 new games coming up on GOG.com soon. Looking at the amount of reactions (over 3,500 comments at this very moment), it is obvious that this change is making many of you guys worried. We must have failed to clearly explain why our pricing policy for (some) newer games will change and what this means as a matter of fact for our PC & MAC classic games, which account for over 80% of our catalogue.

To be honest, our announcement was a bit vague simply because our future pricing policy is not 100% set in stone yet and we were just worried to make any promises before it was. You know, GOG.com has been growing quickly (thanks to you!), and the more we grow, the more we are worried to make some of you guys disappointed. This is why we were so (over-)cautious with our announcement.

We should have just been upfront about why we've made these changes and what they mean for us in the future and what we're planning. So let's talk. To be clear: what I'm talking about below is our plan. It's a plan that we believe we can accomplish, but while it's what we want to do with GOG, it may change some before it actually sees the light of day. Please don’t blame me for talking open-heartedly today and telling you about the plans and pricing policy we want to fight for and eventually achieve. The below plans aren't sure. The only guarantee I can give you is that we’ll do our best to fight for gamers while still making sure GOG.com as a whole grows (because well, we still want to be around 50 years from now, you know!). So, enough for the introduction, let’s get things started.

Why does GOG.com need to offer newer games at all?

We've been in business for 5 years now, and we've signed a big percentage of all of the classic content that can be legally untangled. There are still some big companies left we're trying to bring into the GOG.com fold, like LucasArts, Microsoft, Take2 and Bethesda, but what classic titles will we sign in the future once we have those partners on-board? We need to sign newer games or else just fire everyone and keep selling the same limited catalog. Either we bring you “not so old” releases from 2010+ or brand-new AAA titles, because these will become classic games tomorrow. It’s as simple as that.

Also, well, we want to expand beyond just classic games, hence the fact we have been offering you brand-new indie releases for almost 2 years now. Why expanding? Well, obviously, because the more games we sell, the more legitimacy we have on the market and the more likely it is that we can achieve our mission: making all PC & MAC video games 100% DRM-free, whether classic or brand-new titles.

To be straightforward (excuse my French):DRM is shit-- we'll never have any of it. It treats legitimate customers like rubbish and pirates don't have to bother with it. It's bad for gamers, and it's also bad for business and our partners. We want to make it easy and convenient for users to buy and play games; rather than give piracy a try. Happy gamers equals a healthy gaming industry; and this is what we fight for. Anyway, I am sure you well know our opinions about DRM.

To make the world of gaming DRM-free, we need to convince top-tier publishers & developers to give us a try with new games, just like they did with classic games. We need to make more case studies for the gaming industry, just like we successfully did back in 2011 with The Witcher 2. It was our first ever 100% DRM-free AAA day-1 release. GOG.com was the 2nd best-selling digital distribution platform worldwide for this title thanks to you guys, despite having regional prices for it. We need more breakthroughs like this to be able to show all the devs and publishers in our industry that DRM-free digital distribution is actually good for their business and their fans. And when I say breakthroughs, I am talking about really kick-ass games, with a potential metacritic score of 85% or more, AA+ and AAA kind of titles.

And this is exactly why we signed those 3 games we told you about last Friday. We believe those 3 games can be massive hits for hardcore gamers, that they can help us spread the DRM-free model among the industry for newer games and we did our best to convince their rights holders to give GOG.com a try. One of those games, as you see already, is Age of Wonders 3. We're planning more titles even beyond these first 3 soon.

Alright, but why is regional pricing needed for those (only 3 so far!) newer games then?

First of all, you have to be aware of an important fact when it comes to newer games: GOG.com cannot really decide what the prices should be. Top-tier developers and publishers usually have contractual obligations with their retail partners that oblige them to offer the game at the same price digitally and in retail. When they don’t have such contractual obligations, they are still encouraged to do so, or else their games might not get any exposure on the shelves in your favorite shops. This will change over time (as digital sales should overtake retail sales in the near future), but as of today, this is still a problem our industry is facing because retail is a big chunk of revenue and there’s nothing GOG.com can do to change that. We need to charge the recommended retail price for the boxed copies of the games in order for developers (or publishers) to either not get sued or at least get their games visible on shelves. You may recall that our sister company CD Projekt RED got sued for that in the past and we don’t want our partners to suffer from that too.

On top of that, you have to know that there are still many top-tier devs and publishers that are scared about DRM-free gaming. They're half-convinced it will make piracy worse, and flat pricing means that we're also asking them to earn less, too. Earn less, you say? Why is that? Well, when we sell a game in the EU or UK, VAT gets deducted from the price before anyone receives any profit. That means we're asking our partners to try out DRM-free gaming and at the same time also earn 19% - 25% less from us. Other stores, such as Steam, price their games regionally and have pricing that's more equitable to developers and publishers. So flat pricing + DRM-Free is something many devs and publishers simply refuse. Can you blame them? The best argument we can make to convince a publisher or developer to try DRM-Free gaming is that it earns money. Telling them to sacrifice income while they try selling a game with no copy protection is not a way to make that argument.

Getting back to those 3 new upcoming games coming up. The first one is Age of Wonders 3, which you can pre-order right now on GOG.com. The next 2 ones will be Divine Divinity: Original Sin and The Witcher 3. We’re very excited to offer those games DRM-free worldwide and we hope you’ll love them.

Still, we know some countries are really being screwed with regional pricing (Western Europe, UK, Australia) and as mentioned above, we’ll do our very best, for every release of a new game, to convince our partners to offer something special for the gamers living there.

And don’t forget guys: if regional pricing for those few big (as in, “AA+”) new games is a problem for you, you can always wait. In a few months. The game will be discounted on sale, and at 60, 70, or 80% off, the price difference will be minimal indeed. In a few years it will become a classic in its own right, and then we have the possibility to to make it flat-priced anyway (read next!) The choice is always yours. All we are after is to present it to you 100% DRM-free. We are sure you will make the best choice for yourself, and let others enjoy their own freedom to make choices as well.

So, what is going to happen with classic games then?

Classic content accounts for about 80% of our catalog, so yes, this is a super important topic. We've mentioned here above that we can’t control prices for new games, but we do have a lot of influence when it comes to classic games. GOG.com is the store that made this market visible and viable digitally, and we're the ones who established the prices we charge. We believe that we have a good record to argue for fair pricing with our partners.

So let's talk about the pricing for classics that we're shooting for. For $5.99 classics, we would like to make the games 3.49 GBP, 4.49 EUR, 199 RUB, and $6.49 AUD. For $9.99 classics, our targets are 5.99 GBP, 7.49 EUR, 349 RUB, and $10.99 AUD. This is what we’ve got in mind at the moment. We’ll do our best to make that happen, and we think it will. How? Well, we have made our partners quite happy with GOG.com's sales for years - thanks to you guys :). We have created a global, legal, successful digital distribution market of classics for them. This market didn't exist 5 years ago. By (re)making all those games compatible with modern operating systems for MAC and PC, we've made forgotten games profitable again. When it comes to classic games, we can tell them that we know more about this market than anyone. :) Being retrogaming freaks ourselves, we know that 5.99 EUR or GBP is crazy expensive for a classic game (compared to 5.99 USD). We have always argued that classic games only sell well if they have reasonable prices. Unfair regional pricing equals piracy and that’s the last thing anybody wants.

What’s next?

We will do our very best to make all of the above happen. This means three things:

First, we will work to make our industry go DRM-free in the future for both classic and new games (that’s our mission!).

Second, we will fight hard to have an attractive offer for those AA+ new games for our European, British and Australian users, despite regional pricing that we have to stick to.

Third, we will switch to fair local pricing for classic games, as I mentioned above.

TheEnigmaticT earlier mentioned that he would eat his hat if we ever brought DRM to GOG.com. I'm going to go one step further: by the end of this year, I'm making the promise that we will have converted our classic catalog over to fair regional pricing as outlined above. If not, we'll set up a record a video of some horrible public shaming for me, TheEnigmaticT, and w0rma. In fact, you know what? Feel free to make suggestions below for something appropriate (but also safe enough that we won't get the video banned on YouTube) so you feel that we're motivated to get this done quickly. I'll pick one that's scary enough from the comments below and we'll let you know which one we're sticking to.

I hope that this explanation has helped ease your worry a bit and help you keep your faith in GOG.com as a place that's different, awesome, and that always fights for what's best for gamers. If you have any questions, comments or ideas, feel free to address them to us below and TheEnigmaticT and I will answer them to the best of our abilities tomorrow. We hear you loud and clear, so please do continue sharing your feedback with us. At the end of the day GOG.com is your place; without you guys it would just be a website where a few crazy people from Europe talk about old games. :)

I end many of my emails with this, but there's rarely a time to use it more appropriately than here:

“Best DRM-free wishes,

Guillaume Rambourg,
(TheFrenchMonk)
Managing Director -- GOG.com”
Ekaros: The price of AoW 3 on your own front page...
TheEnigmaticT: There's no price on it for me?
I mean this little box. It should read 54,99$.
Attachments:
aow3.png (43 Kb)
Ekaros: Just for interest at what point will you stop the blatant false advertising on your own site?
TheEnigmaticT: What false advertising would that be?
Well, this for one:

"exclusively on GOG, an original version of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars a.k.a. Broken Sword: Circle of Blood"

The original BS has been available on DotEmu for over a year now, in many languages.

From DotEmu game description, read the last arrow:

"Key Features:

> Cartoon graphisms still beautiful now : this game didn't take a wrinkle !

> A very good point&clic and the first opus of 6 video games !

> Have a new point of view on this story throught the look of Nicole !

> Includes the original version of Broken Swod: Shadow of the templars"

The typos there are not mine, but DotEmu's.
They have some sucky features, such as no proof-reading, apparently...
Post edited March 03, 2014 by PixelBoy
It shows up with $39,99 on front page, even if you're coming from Germany where it should be 39,99€ (tested with FF and IE). Obviously a mistake.
Post edited March 03, 2014 by RS1978
Here?
Attachments:
front.jpg (136 Kb)
I'd guess Ekaros means the smaller ad image.

EDIT: ninja'd
Attachments:
dollar.png (67 Kb)
Post edited March 03, 2014 by Maighstir
TheEnigmaticT: What false advertising would that be?
PixelBoy: Well, this for one:

"exclusively on GOG, an original version of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars a.k.a. Broken Sword: Circle of Blood"

The original BS has been available on DotEmu for over a year now, in many languages.

From DotEmu game description, read the last arrow:

"Key Features:

> Cartoon graphisms still beautiful now : this game didn't take a wrinkle !

> A very good point&clic and the first opus of 6 video games !

> Have a new point of view on this story throught the look of Nicole !

> Includes the original version of Broken Swod: Shadow of the templars"

The typos there are not mine, but DotEmu's.
They have some sucky features, such as no proof-reading, apparently...
Fixed :)
Ichwillnichtmehr: I guess I was blinded by all those "We will stick with our core values!"-thing:

- "We've always been about our core values: DRM-free games, flat prices worldwide, and extra goodies included in our releases."

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dvaNgCTncLk#t=55

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos
You're not blinded, nobody is saying that region free pricing isn't important to GOG, it is and they've stated it is. I'm merely pointing out that whether someone comes to GOG primarily because of DRM-free principle or because of region free pricing principle, or both, that the business was founded with DRM-free as the foundation and region free pricing layered on top of that as a bonus and additional compelling reason for people to come to them. The reason for stating this is that some people keep saying that the next thing to come here is that they will allow DRM, but when you analyze their business model from what they actually state is that the business is built on the model of DRM-free and the other stuff additions on top of that. It isn't built on region free pricing and DRM-free thrown in as an extra goodie even if some people might perceive it that way for some reason, or even if the first video someone was introduced to mentions them all together in one sentence.

Once one understands DRM-free is the primary base of the business model and that this change to regional pricing policy is as I've said many times above - a realization that that DRM-free base can only expand so far without changes to things like regional pricing in order for that core of DRM-free to expand where they'd like it to in the future. Changing and allowing DRM would not achieve that, and wouldn't achieve anything beneficial and therefore is unrealistic and IMHO emotion-fueled thinking and without basis.
Another one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNORr7t5st4

Pricing mentioned once (I think) DRM mentioned many times.
RS1978: It shows up with $39,99 on front page, if you're coming from Germany (tested with FF and IE). Obviously a mistake.
Same here for me.
It's funny how some people seem to think that DRM-free was always the core principle of GOG.com and that everything else was just something they decided the pack on top to make the deal even sweeter for the users. That's not even close to being true.

Let's read the "About Us" page, circa 2010-2011:

[i]"Feeling nostalgic about the good old days where gameplay reigned supreme? Longing to spend some long, passionate nights with your favorite games of yesteryear? We're proud to present GOG.com, the site where it's all about Good Old Games and the people that play them.

1. We've got games your 10-year-old won't be better at.

GOG.com offers you critically acclaimed games from major publishers in every genre. Don't let your kids mock the graphics; remind them that the classics never go out of style, unlike their totally wicked haircut.

2. So you're cheap. It's okay - we are, too.

For less than the cost of a lunch at some lousy diner you can own some of the greatest games of all time. No matter how big the file is and how successful the game was, you'll leave the table satisfied that you got a great deal for your money. As an added bonus, our house specialties won't make you sick.

3. You buy it, you keep it.

Don't let your DRMs turn into nightmares (clever, no?). You won't find any intrusive copy protection in our games; we hate draconian DRM schemes just as much as you do, so at GOG.com you don't just buy the game, you actually own it. Once you download a game, you can install it on any PC and re-download it whenever you want, as many times as you need, and you can play it without an internet connection.

4. All games are Vista and XP compatible.

Thanks to our handsome programming team, the classics are now Windows Vista and Windows XP compatible. Now you can use your lightning-fast PC to unleash the full potential of those games you just couldn't play properly on that busted old 386.

5. Extend the experience with tons of cool and exclusive add-ons.

Buying the game is just the beginning. With the purchase of any game at GOG.com you'll also get some great additional materials for free, including game guides, walkthroughs, MP3 game soundtracks, wallpapers and more. No joke.

6. We're bringing together classic games and a classy community.

Dive into the GOG.com community, share your love for the games and meet other gamers with the same passion for classic games as you. Rate and review every single game, discuss your favorite titles on message boards, get support for your games and help others. Who knows, maybe you'll find that special someone.

7. It's so easy, your gramma's probably already playing.

GOG.com is so easy to use. We have an easy account setup, game installers as user friendly as can be and simple, fast and hassle-free downloads. Thanks to these features, you'll need just a few clicks to get you on your way to playing some of the best PC games of all time.

8. Same game, same price, no matter where you're from!

We believe that all gamers around the world should be treated equally. Therefore GOG.com is available to everyone, everywhere, and we offer the same prices to gamers from all countries. Getting the worldwide rights to the games takes some extra effort on our part, but we think it's worth the reward of opening up our site to the world.

Who are you guys?

Everyone at GOG.com is a gamer, just like you. We've combined our real-life love for classic games with the amazing virtual world of the internet to bring some of our favorite games to your PC, with nothing - except maybe our budget - holding us back from conquering the world through gaming.

Why do you sell old games? Are you stupid or something?

Well, it looks like you haven't played the PC classics much. Maybe it's some sentimental attachment or maybe the games back then were different? Maybe a little bit of both; regardless, the truth is that the all-time classics never go out of style and we know that. So don't criticize; play the game like it's 1995.

What's the next big feature we'll implement on the site?

We would like to know that, too. Our guru and the main guy behind all this is locked up in the secret zen garden and won't come out until you people start buying games! Just kidding. But don't think we will unveil our top secret plans for nothing. Stay tuned!

I'm a publisher and I want you to sell my rusty, old games. What should I do?

Hmmm, I hope you've figured out that GOG.com stands for GOOD old games. If yes, then feel free to drop us a line and we'll figure something out together."[/i]

It seems to me that DRM-free, was just one of the many principles of GOG, along with extra content, affordability, flat pricing, or ease of use on modern PCs. If anything, the core aspect of the website was providing the user with quality classic games. They only started emphasizing the DRM-free aspect when they rebranded themselves, dropping the Good Old Games name, and even then it was just one of several key selling points.

This whole thing isn't even about regional pricing to me. It's about this website straying farther and farther away from the principles that had made GOG.com one of the good guys of gaming (to me, at least).
Post edited March 03, 2014 by Giuseppe87
Probably because that ain't how your own stores frontpage even looks

http://imgur.com/3WGHY3U

Sorry, I didn't see others already replying the same thing ;)
Post edited March 03, 2014 by eRe4s3r
Here's another little 'glitch' for the web guys.
In Chrome from the U.S.
Only shows up some times, the other times it's correct.
Attachments:
aow3.jpg (94 Kb)
Ekaros: I mean this little box. It should read 54,99$.
Oh, heck. Somehow I've completely overlooked that every time I hit the front page.

I've submitted that to our Dev team. Sorry about the bug. :(
Ichwillnichtmehr: I guess I was blinded by all those "We will stick with our core values!"-thing:

- "We've always been about our core values: DRM-free games, flat prices worldwide, and extra goodies included in our releases."

- "Don't worry: we're devoted to those three core values that we mentioned above, and we know that if we ever abandoned them we'd quickly become just another digital distributor."

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dvaNgCTncLk#t=55

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos
skeletonbow: You're not blinded, nobody is saying that region free pricing isn't important to GOG, it is and they've stated it is. I'm merely pointing out that whether someone comes to GOG primarily because of DRM-free principle or because of region free pricing principle, or both, that the business was founded with DRM-free as the foundation and region free pricing layered on top of that as a bonus and additional compelling reason for people to come to them. The reason for stating this is that some people keep saying that the next thing to come here is that they will allow DRM, but when you analyze their business model from what they actually state is that the business is built on the model of DRM-free and the other stuff additions on top of that. It isn't built on region free pricing and DRM-free thrown in as an extra goodie even if some people might perceive it that way for some reason, or even if the first video someone was introduced to mentions them all together in one sentence.

Once one understands DRM-free is the primary base of the business model and that this change to regional pricing policy is as I've said many times above - a realization that that DRM-free base can only expand so far without changes to things like regional pricing in order for that core of DRM-free to expand where they'd like it to in the future. Changing and allowing DRM would not achieve that, and wouldn't achieve anything beneficial and therefore is unrealistic and IMHO emotion-fueled thinking and without basis.
It would have been unrealistic before GOG.com proved that they are willing to abandon one of their explicitly stated core values, but now that is not as unrealistic as it was before.

GOG.com made the decision to include "One world, fair price" in their core values.

GOG.com made the decision to say that they would stick with their core values.

GOG.com made the decision to now abandon one of their core values.

If GOG.com didn't really think of "One world, fair price", as one of their core values, they should not have advertised it as one.
Ichwillnichtmehr: GOG.com made the decision to include "One world, fair price" in their core values.

GOG.com made the decision to say that they would stick with their core values.

GOG.com made the decision to now abandon one of their core values.

If GOG.com didn't really think of "One world, fair price", as one of their core values, they should not have advertised it as one.
You know, this point was made very clearly about 4600 posts ago.
And has been made about 3000 more time since then.
PLEASE give it a rest will you?
We all know your stance on this very well by now. :/