It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Rebellious JC Denton or death-dealing Mr 47? What kind of hero will you be today?

GOG.com is proud to announce that Square Enix is the newest heavyweight addition to our ever-growing GOG.com catalog of great games. SquareEnix is one of the biggest publishers of the modern gaming world with almost 30-years of experience and famous releases for every single existing gaming system.

Deus: Ex Game of the Year Edition and Hitman: Codename 47 are the first titles we’re releasing from Square Enix, and they're available today for $9.99 and $5.99 respectively. Both games were originally released by Eidos in 2000, but not a single drop of greatness has been lost since then. Deus Ex is a magnificent blend of remarkable storytelling, RPG customization, and action-packed shooting. With all GOG.com’s heart we recommend Deus Ex for $9.99 as one of the most captivating and rewarding games ever. EVER! Hitman, a demanding stealth/action/planning game, created a now-iconic bald assassin Mr 47. With a vague name and a vague past, Agent 47 at least has a clear goal: eliminate the target at all costs. For you, the cost of Hitman: Codename 47 is $5.99.

There are a few more heroes from SquareEnix, that deserve a special treatment from GOG.com, and we will be announcing them in coming weeks. Today, it’s time to shave your head and buy an AMT Hardballer or wear sunglasses at night and save the world from the Illuminati.

You decide what kind of hero you want to be.
I really wish Square Enix tries to make it's Japanese heritage available as well, however unlikely that would be. For some reason they insist on not releasing Chrono Trigger in my region for any of the platforms I own (despite the PS1 release being available on the US PSN since last year), it would be so awesome if they made a legal emulated release of that, or ported the IOS-release to PC or something.

Hear that, SqEnix? I'd even be willing to pay for one of the less good ports of that game if you just allowed me to give you the money.
Post edited January 26, 2012 by fisk0
fisk0: I really wish Square Enix tries to make it's Japanese heritage available as well, however unlikely that would be. For some reason they insist on not releasing Chrono Trigger in my region for any of the platforms I own (despite the PS1 release being available on the US PSN since last year), it would be so awesome if they made a legal emulated release of that, or ported the IOS-release to PC or something.

Hear that, SqEnix? I'd even be willing to pay for one of the less good ports of that game if you just allowed me to give you the money.
i think this is all about Eidos games. Square Enix happens to own Eidos, that is all. don't expect Japanese games to turn up here, and certainly don't expect console games on a PC gaming website.
fisk0: I'd even be willing to pay for one of the less good ports of that game if you just allowed me to give you the money.
Not everyone is a martyr :)
fisk0: I really wish Square Enix tries to make it's Japanese heritage available as well, however unlikely that would be. For some reason they insist on not releasing Chrono Trigger in my region for any of the platforms I own (despite the PS1 release being available on the US PSN since last year), it would be so awesome if they made a legal emulated release of that, or ported the IOS-release to PC or something.

Don't forget Fear Effect 2. But remember, Hana isn't a Lesbian according to creator Stan Liu. She merely sleeps with women if that's all she has available to her on any particular night according to Stan.
Post edited January 26, 2012 by Kabuto

Fred_DM: i think this is all about Eidos games. Square Enix happens to own Eidos, that is all. don't expect Japanese games to turn up here, and certainly don't expect console games on a PC gaming website.
No, no, I know that console games can't be expected here, though GOG did have the survey last year that included the question if they should start providing games from other platforms as well, even though that probably isn't feasible in most cases, though Commodore seem willing to license the Amiga kickstart ROM for commercial emulators, so at least the Amiga wouldn't be impossible, a lot less likely with Sony or Nintendo. :)
DarkMaverik: You strike me as the conspiracy type which makes me wary of taking anything you say seriously... You're half reading my post to boot. I said that it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be because it isn't.
Because your opinion is more valid than the others?

DarkMaverik: Most DRM is innocuous and goes completely unnoticed by all but the hardcore nerds and the people trying to illegally pirate them. HOWEVER, I am in agreement that there are plenty of DRM's that are terrible and shouldn't exist. Things like having to be online to play offline single player. Or having to sign into an online service (such as Games For Windows or EA's propriety thing) when you're ALREADY signed in on Steam. These things are bad yes. But they're the minority. People just like to wave the DRM flag because it makes them feel good about themselves.
Wrong. People are against DRM because the publishers are treating the legal costumer as a pirate. If you are fine with DRM, then good for you. But don't judge others who don't accept to be treated as something they aren't.

DarkMaverik: As for the Steam thing? That's an equally dumb argument to what jamyskis was saying. Steam is a store and game management system. It's clean, efficient, and not actually very intrusive at all.
From the moment that is obligatory to install and running to play your games, it's being intrusive.

DarkMaverik: "But I don't want to install Steam just to play my games!" Well tough honestly. Next you'll be telling me that you don't want to buy a console just because it has all the games you want on it, or that you don't want to have to buy a newer PC because yours is too old to play newer games. It's a big heaped helping of "Deal with it".
What? Where is the correlation? "Deal with it" is not an argument (in fact, it can be considered trolling), so next time find a proper one.

DarkMaverik: Oh, and as for "You shouldn't have to search for bug fixes!" Welcome to computers. Perhaps you are new? Bugs are a fact of computer use. Not everything will work 100% perfect straight out of the box. Some people have to fix a bug in steam so that they can play offline. Some people have to fix a bug in a downloaded GoG game to make it work correctly. Computers are complex beasts and it's impossible to plan for every possible combination of hardware and software. So don't go falling back on that like it's a legitimate reason to hate an otherwise exceptional piece of software.
It seems that you are the one new to the computer world. One you are obliged to install a software to play the games you legally paid for, one should expect to be a good software, specially when it has existed for so long. And the costumer certainly shouldn't be the one to try to find fixes for the software he was obliged to install. The burden is on Steam, not the client.
Post edited January 26, 2012 by Alexrd
fisk0: No, no, I know that console games can't be expected here, though GOG did have the survey last year that included the question if they should start providing games from other platforms as well, even though that probably isn't feasible in most cases, though Commodore seem willing to license the Amiga kickstart ROM for commercial emulators, so at least the Amiga wouldn't be impossible, a lot less likely with Sony or Nintendo. :)
OK, i didn't know about that survey, and i'd certainly be interested in emulated SNES or Amiga games. but i think when they're asking about other platforms they mean iOS and other mobile games, same as DotEmu is already offering.
Rick Dangerous incoming then. :)
Alexrd: <Big ol Snip>
1: Most people wave the anti-DRM flag because they've read a few places that it's a bad thing, then don't actually do anything about it beyond complain pointlessly on internet forums to each other in a massive circle jerk that get's nothing done. The existence of DRM is not the issue. It's existed forever and will ALWAYS exist because you can't run a company that has a multi-million dollar investment on every product produced on the honor system. The better thing to be concerned about is the wrong KINDS of DRM. Such as the ones I've mentioned previously.

2: The correlation is simple. You want this game? You have the system it comes on. Nintendo? You gotta buy and install a Wii into your home theater system. PC game? You gotta buy and install a computer of equal or greater strength than what is required to run said game. Steam is similar to this. You want a game that steam sells? You gotta have the Steam system. Now. Back in it's heyday? Yeah. Steam sucked balls and was pretty much as terrible as iTunes still is. But now? Now it's just a much more streamlined and clever way to put all of your game purchasing, downloading, installing and playing in one neat little container. It's convenient and it works well. To say "But steam controls everything!" is again, really conspiracy theory type bull, because unlike say, Origin, who routinely ban people for dumb reasons, and extend those bans to their game list, Steam has the common sense to keep your games library and your forum account separate entities. Be a jerk-off and get banned on the forums? Don't worry. You can still play Modern Warfare 3 or whatever.

3: Steam IS good software! That's the hilarious thing about this argument! As I've pointed out, and I believe Fred_DM agreed with (a thousand apologies if I'm putting words in your mouth Fred), people who have debilitating issues with Steam are in the minority. Is Windows 7 a horrible OS because a googleable number of people have problems with it in one way or another? Is whatever Mac's lates OS? What about all the GoG games that after download require some tweaking to get running smoothly due to the fact that emulating DOS is a tricky science? Is GoG terrible? No! Because it's just the way things are! Every single time you buy a new piece of hardware, or install a new program, or even move or delete a file, you're changing the battlefield. You're changing the way your computer will react to a given scenario. That's why I can download say, Wing Commander 3, and have 0 issues and have it run smooth and perfect, and why I can also find a ton of posts on the GoG forums about how it doesn't work right and all the little paper-clip and gum fixes everybody has on offer.

The long and short of it is that, if you look for reasons to hate something, you'll always hate it. Maybe try actually giving stuff a chance, and you might realize that sometimes things that you thought were horrible and invasive and reason to never touch them, are actually awesome and convenient!
Boy, if this could mean we get the PC version of FF7...
Stormstrike: Boy, if this could mean we get the PC version of FF7...
I'd cry because the PC version of FF7 was buggy and horrible ahahaha.
Wow! Congratulations guys to get this publisher on board! This is a really nice surprise for all of us. :-)
(I'll definitely buy Dungeon Siege the second time!)
Already own both of these games on a rival digital distribution platform. That being said, Deus Ex is a great game, and for whatever parts of it have aged poorly, enough stands up to be recommendable.
Fred_DM: i think this is all about Eidos games. Square Enix happens to own Eidos, that is all. don't expect Japanese games to turn up here, and certainly don't expect console games on a PC gaming website.
fisk0: No, no, I know that console games can't be expected here, though GOG did have the survey last year that included the question if they should start providing games from other platforms as well, even though that probably isn't feasible in most cases, though Commodore seem willing to license the Amiga kickstart ROM for commercial emulators, so at least the Amiga wouldn't be impossible, a lot less likely with Sony or Nintendo. :)
I wonder how GOG user feel console games in NES and SNES ages,such as DragonQuest,early Final Fantasy,King's Knight.
Moreover,both SQUARE and ENIX started as old Japanese PC game developer.They have original PC games published in Japan with Japanese language.
It's shame GOG have not published not English titles and translated to each other's language.
I think all games be able to run on PC should be covered by GOG.
Post edited January 31, 2012 by sajin
Dissapointed about the games that you released today since they are readily available everywhere.

But happy that Square Enix is added, hoping for some releases of the hard to find games soon.