It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

muntdefems: I would probably 100% agree with you if the Rain World devs bothered to release the Linux version they promised in their Kickstarter, and which I'm no longer expecting at this point... :(((

Other than that, yeah: Hollow Knight is my 2017 GOTY hands down.
You'll probably be able to play it on Linux eventually, but that could take a while. The game is still being supported and had a big patch that added more playable characters, creatures, and local multiplayer this December, but progress is slow because they only have one programmer. They did confirm to be working on it months ago but the next update is stated to add co-op, so at the very least it won't be until after that one. Worth it though, the game is superb.
Post edited December 24, 2017 by Fortuk
My favorite game that was released in 2017 is Elex, but I only completed 3 games released this calendar year. Favorite overall that I completed this year is The Witcher 3.
It's a tie between the following:

Sonic Mania:
A textbook example of nostalgia pandering since it's a 2D Sonic game that's almost identical to the original Genesis titles in terms of controls, physics, and level design with a few modern tweaks, but I honestly don't give a shit. It was a blast playing through this and ended up being my second favorite Sonic game (Sonic 3 and Knuckles is at the top).

Super Mario Odyssey:
Been waiting for a 3D Mario game that was similar to 64, and I couldn't stop playing once I turned it on. It controls beautifully, Cappy is super useful (both with and without the capture ability) and adorable, the levels were all great and fun to explore, and had an amazing soundtrack too. Easily my favorite Mario game (hell, even my favorite Nintendo game) in years.

As far as other 2017 releases go, I also really liked Cuphead, What Remains of Edith Finch, Breath of the Wild, Bayonetta...again (PC release, which gave me an excuse to replay it), and Samus Returns. Felt kind of underwhelmed by Nioh despite enjoying it (haven't played the DLC yet) as well as The End is Nigh, Miitopia ended up being an incredibly annoying experience compared to Tomodachi Life, and Little Nightmares was kind of disappointing.

I didn't get a chance to play Hollow Knight (bought it, didn't play it), Nier: Automata (bought it, but didn't get very far), and a few other stuff people mentioned, but I really liked 2017 as far as games go.
Post edited December 25, 2017 by RayRay13000
Didn't actually play a whole lot of new ones. Mostly just killing out titles from my backlog. But there were a few I did play.

My two favorites for most of the year were Resident Evil 7 and Prey. They were callbacks to gaming's past and made for incredibly memorable experiences. RE7 felt like a return to form with some good new ideas, and Prey felt right at home for someone who grew up playing the Shock games. Near the end of the year, I ended up playing Darkwood, which may be my favorite of the year due to its atmosphere and gameplay. It's something so twisted and unique, that it became hard to not think about it.

Some games I did not get around to this year: Get Even, Elex, Cuphead, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Some games cleared from my backlog: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy (good games, though I honestly preferred Metro), Beyond Good and Evil (fantastic setting, fun gameplay), Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines (probably my favorite RPG, gripping story and incredible gameplay despite issues), E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy (definitely a strange one, but an addicting one while it lasted), Dark Messiah (some of the best melee combat ever, great visuals), Arx Fatalis (interesting magic system, but nothing else about it hooked me in any way)
Post edited December 25, 2017 by ljyoun
I don't thibk I have played any game released this year but my GOTY choice is easy: Banished. So many hours spent on building a perfect town and trying to revive its glory after a disaster. Epic!
lanipcga: I can't be the only one who hasn't played a single 2017 game, can I? The absolute latest game I've played is Clash Royale, which came out last year. I usually focus on older games since they're cheaper to buy.
You are not.
I played two games from 2016, but nothing from 2017, although there's still about week to go, so who knows what will happen...
The same as the previous 2016 years: Diablo II.
Anyone who has not played any game from 2017: Cayne is free here on GOG and it was released this year. What with it being short, it is an easy way to have played a game released this year while the year is still 2017 :-)
Yeah the only games released in 2017 that I've bought have been probably indie games, which I rarely play (they usually end in the bottom of my backlog), as I have so many older great games to be played as well.

For non-indie AAA (or AA) games, I tend to wait until purchasing them, for two reasons:

1. I want to play the game only when all its DLC content has already been released, and the game is fixed from any serious bugs. Possibly even waiting for a GOTY version where all this is true.

2. Price. Hardly any games entice me to shell out 50€ to buy one game, which will then later get several DLCs worth another 50€, when at the same time I could buy several a bit older great GOTY games for that same amount of money. Sad but true. Also, Omerta specifically taught me the virtues of waiting for Gold/GOTY versions of games, as IIRC that game's Gold Edition has some serious bug fixed that they never fixed for the non-Gold game (right?), so I kinda felt that publisher really betrayed me, a customer. A customer is ALWAYS right, even when he is wrong!

So I guess it is Team Fortress 2. :D Just yesterday I learned a few nice tricks how to play the Harvest map online, and I made certain kind of trap as an engineer to the stairs which seemed to annoy especially the enemy spies a lot. :) Putting two teleports at the bottom and top of the stairs to slow down enemies (especially spies) storming to me, and then building a sentry and a dispenser on the top. Then I just waited on the top if a spy would try to come up anyway, only to be teleported back to the bottom. :) God damn it was fun, I could almost see their red faces.

If I leave out online multiplayer games and talk only about single-player games I've played extensively and maybe even finished this year, I think it would be Gothic. While it was not a perfect game (action RPG), I still left overall a good taste into my mouth and I enjoyed playing it. I didn't even mind its unconventional controls of which many complain (remember to switch the controls to "alternative" in the game options, then the controls get much better, more modern).

Dungeon Siege was quite good too, but it was maybe a bit too repetitive, getting boring at many points. I applaud it for its smooth gameplay, it is apparent the developers had thought a lot how to make the gameplay smoother and less irritating (than in many other Diablo-clones). Less clicking, yes thank you!

I recall also finishing Fallout 1-2 and Fallout: Tactics, but not sure if some of them were already in 2016. Fallout 1-2 were ok, but nothing earth shattering. I can certainly see where the praise comes from in the multiple ways you can play the game (even avoiding combat), so yeah that is neat but otherwise it was "just ok".

Fallout Tactics (with the Redux 1.3 mod) had some questionable issues with its difficulty levels, so it was the least impressive of the three Fallout games, even though it has also things I had yearned in Fallout 1-2 (like the ability to directly control all your team members, finally being able to set up e.g. proper ambushes to enemies, instead of all my companions just storming towards the enemy just because they can).
Post edited December 25, 2017 by timppu
Unlike last year, this year has all been about bigger titles, not so much Indie games.

Horizon Zero Dawn. The storyline and characters were full of depth, it had some new and intresting combat mechanics, and those AI designs are very much unique. I place it with The Last of Us in terms of greatness.

Mass Effect Andromeda. I loved the first Mass Effect game but did not like the sequel and did not play the third one. As far as gameplay goes Andromeda is close to what I hoped Mass Effect 2/3 would be like. I liked the storyline as well, it has the same sense of adventure and discovery the first game did. I'm still missing the tactical element of the first game, but overall I really enjoyed Andromeda, it's a great sci-fi adventure.

Assassin's Creed Origin. I'm an Assassin's Creed fanboy; I've played and enjoyed every game in the series, even the sidescrolling one(s). While Origins lacks the character and storyline depth of the previous games, the gameplay and environments make up for it. It's new, unique and fresh.

Yakuza 0. People who haven't played a Yakuza games will only see a brawler when they look at gameplay videos. However what they don't see is the fantastic voice-acting, intriguing storylines and depth-of-character. To me these games are not so much about brawling, but about characters and stories. They surpass Rockstar in this.

Prey. The best FPS I've played since Half-life 2, ... heck I'd even say this game is better than Half-life 2. It has a fantastically complex level design, unique gameplay mechanics, and a very cool sci-fi storyline.

NASCAR Heat 2. A surprise hit for me. Not a perfect sim, but a solid game with tonnes of content, lots of fun as well of-course; things get very intense in this game. It's been quite a while since I played a really good Nascar game.

The Evil Within 2. I like how this game amalgamates the classic horror of the Silent Hill, Siren and Clock Tower games, as well as taking inspirations from movies such as Ringu, Hellraiser and The Thing. This game is a celebration of classic horror. While the combat mechanics are enjoyable and the storyline interesting enough, this game is all about the visual settings and atmosphere for me.

Others standouts from this year: Nier Automata, Toukiden 2, Yooka-Laylee, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Yakuza Kiwami, and Project CARS 2.
Post edited December 25, 2017 by Ricky_Bobby
Grim Dawn expansion. Just got it, i am to burnout completely in it, like totally, in 2018 come (i am now sank inside a fangame)
My game of the year, hands down: Darkwood

I put 150 hours and counting into this game, yet I wasn't able to write a review since I didn't feel I could do this game justice. Imagine Terry Gilliam remaking Stalker in the Hotline Miami engine. You see how derivative this sounds? That's why I hesitate to write a review, because this is one of the most enjoyably original and unique games I ever played. Take Hotline's cross between simplistic graphics (that oddly work in the game's favor) and immensely fun and addictive gameplay, set the game in a Stalker-like post apocalyptic open world where you're free to go about your business as you please, inhabit that world with a memorably freaky cast of characters. The result is scary to the point of being unsettling, while also brimming with dark humor (that somehow makes the horror even more horrifying).

As indicated by the 150 hours of playtime, it's hugely replayable. Darkwood not only offers you complete freedom in how to interact with the environment, the environment will also react according to your actions. You'll have multiple solutions for any given problem and no matter how you deal with it (or how badly you screw things up) the game always has a plan B up its sleeve. I finished walkthroughs during which I tried to be the good guy, the bad guy, (during my initial playthrough) the good guy who screws up so badly he ruins everyone around him, one during which I didn't interact with anyone, one where I killed everyone I came across just to see what happens. And the game took note. It's this level of complexity - along with the brilliant sound design, the unique setting, the wicked sense of humor, the atmosphere, the singular vision behind it - that makes this easily my pick for game of the year 2017. And to be perfectly honest - my pick for favourite game since Thief - The Dark Project and System Shock 2 and for all the shit I like to give gog curators for their more asinine decisions over the years, I can't express how grateful I am to them for reaching out to the devs to release Darkwood here.

The other two favourites of mine as far as gog releases are concerned would be The Saboteur and Fallout New Vegas. The Saboteur (played for 118 hours) is delightfully trashy fun and would have easily been my favourite game this year if Darkwood hadn't come along. New Vegas (114 hours) - finally DRM-free! - is also nice, but to be honest, after all the criticism of Fallout 3 and praise for NV I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. Yes, it stays more true to the series' RPG roots, but it still mostly feels like a FO3 mod. And the Dead Money DLC is truly abysmal to the point that I actually think it might be the worst "game" I played this year.
Post edited December 26, 2017 by fronzelneekburm
I, too, have played extremely little of games that actually came out 2017. The only two games that I can think of off the top of my head was playing 15-20 minutes total of the demos for Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda: Breath of the Wild. So I'll have to go with games I played for the first time.

My favorite game that I played for the first time in 2017 was, without a doubt, Divine Divinity. I first played it February through April this year, and was absolutely floored by how much fun I was having. During the time I was playing it, I played little else. I didn't have (and still don't have) a lot of experience in isometric RPGs, and wanted to try out a few. DD caught my eye, and it was on sale for $0.89, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. It was well worth that and more, and I would gladly pay its current full price and more knowing what I know now. I rarely replay games nowadays, partially due to limited time to play games and partially due to wanting to get through my backlog, but DD sucked me right back in this past month, and I actually just finished it for the second time last week. So Divine Divinity gets my vote.
Now that i'm looking at my 2017 list, i had a lot of fun with every game i've played this year (except maybe Gone Home, the story was a let down for my tastes, even though the scenery and gameplay was quite good) but i was entertained greatly from the following:

☆ Max Payne 1 & 2; definitely one of my all time favourite games, even though i've been playing it since it's release, it seems i can't get enough of it.

☆ Grand Prix Legends; of all the racing sims i've played through the years, this is the one i rate above everything else (with NASCAR Racing 2003 Season coming right after).

☆ Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004; this year i've logged in around 70 flight hours, flying mainly over Northern Greece as well as over Austria. Quite a lot of fun especially during these harsh weather flights.

☆ FTL & Risk of Rain; i had to uninstall both games to stop playing them, that's how great they are :P

Oh, and i don't think i've played any 2017 release. Let alone the fact that only ~25% of the games i've played was for the first time; i think i enjoy replaying my favourite games more. And this is maybe the first time that i haven't replayed any of the Infinity Engine cRPGs throughout the year. :)
Ricky_Bobby: NASCAR Heat 2. A surprise hit for me. Not a perfect sim, but a solid game with tonnes of content, lots of fun as well of-course; things get very intense in this game. It's been quite a while since I played a really good Nascar game.
You may want to take a look at Nascar Racing 2003 Season from Papyrus. ;)

https://youtu.be/czBMhdbckUk
https://youtu.be/GXxRXJApAPE