It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: All the rejections while we get games that seem(to me) less like classics speaks to me that the team is possibly biased towards certain genres/game types.....
... or against.
Which is old news. A while ago there were no VNs here at all. Or HOGs. For VNs I once got one off-the-record statement that they don't have the expertise for certain genres so they can't truly assess the quality and chances and are not prepared to take that risk. However when Steam suddenly threatened to de-list a whole number of these games for boobs & co GOG saw a window and took the chance. "If Steam won't take them, we will!". Well as we all know after a heavy shitstorm Steam did a U-Turn and retreated to "we take everything, we don't judge and care any more".
As for HOGs I don't know - maybe they hired someone who is into those games. Or they got a deal too good to pass up. I think it's in their interest to expand into new genres because it draws new customers.
I'm really glad these genres made it here, even if they're not my personal top genres (I kind of binge-played through the Artifex Mundi games when I was sick though...)

Another well known factor is "country of origin". I think Eastern European or even Polish devs have better chances to get their games here, which is understandable.

dgnfly: The forum is mostly full of people with childlike behavior ....
ROFL... that coming from you, pure gold.
Post edited November 10, 2019 by toxicTom
I agree that Steam takes a lot of crap, but I'm gradually starting to come round to the wisdom of their "libertarian" approach to game curation. What makes a good game is entirely a matter of opinion, just like how I am losing interest in GOG because they consistently release artsy indie style-over-substance games I do not give a two-shits about, but I'm sure someone likes these games. So there you have two positions, I don't like most of the games GOG "curates", but presumably others do, how do you reconcile two opposite opinions? Well the answer should be to allow both games to be released as tastes are different.
Post edited November 10, 2019 by Crosmando
Personally I find this concept that GoG is so "out of touch" by not accepting the low-selling games specific people want but rather selling games that appeal to more people quite anti-intellectual.

GoG IS trying to sell MORE games to MORE people and just because YOU WANT niche games from niche genres doesn't make GoG out-of-touch, more like it makes YOUR TASTES out of touch...

But what it comes down to, some people want GoG to accept EVERYTHING and become DRM-free Steam.
The problem with that approach is you'd be taking in the bad of Steam too.
No real support, that would be up to the devs. Little to no quality control, devs can do what they please and leave broken games up and submit money grab re-skins all day. And before you say we have some games now missing patches (which is a problem), Steam is far worse in the games with bugs or half unplayable category.

Because for GoG to expand further and make it profitable to accept games which sell only dozens of copies, they would have to drop games technical support, game testing besides just running a virus checker and as many of the little extras that make GoG something a bit different. They'd have to do like Steam and charge devs $100 up front and reduce their services to the point that covers their costs to add a new game.
Jan.Teubel: Indeed, my Führer, tell others what they have to enjoy and play, because you are our irreplaceable and luminous archetype leading us into the brightest of all futures. If you didn't get it by now: nobody asks you to enlighten us.

I don't know what you are or what do you want, and I don't care about your drivel and manure you produce, but I know that you have serious mental problems you can't cope with. You are completely deranged compulsive hoarder.
Talk about someone with obvious mental problems...you take the crown!

Ever consider that I play my games offline, DRM-free and that the only playtime actually displayed is when I was testing Galaxy 2.0?

Nowhere am I telling anyone what they have to play idiot. I'm just explaining to low-IQ tools like you why GoG is likely making the curation decisions they are. Decisions so obvious even a caveman could understand why...but you seem not to be even that smart...

Let me give you a few examples...
I know about the Cuisinart in Might and Magic 2; the secret Fly scroll and how to get early access to the NWC dungeon in the starting town of MM6, even a hidden "rock" that is really a chest. I've also killed off the dragon in the starting area of Might and Magic 9 with deft dodging of his fireballs using bows since he never approaches the entrance. Crimson Clover showed me just how much I don't have the gaming reflexes of my youth.

Talk about jerks whose only actions are attacking others without bringing anything important to any discussion, a hypocrite violating the TOS in the process...
Post edited November 10, 2019 by RWarehall
low rated
toxicTom: ... or against.
Well that goes without saying.

toxicTom: Which is old news. A while ago there were no VNs here at all. Or HOGs. For VNs I once got one off-the-record statement that they don't have the expertise for certain genres so they can't truly assess the quality and chances and are not prepared to take that risk. However when Steam suddenly threatened to de-list a whole number of these games for boobs & co GOG saw a window and took the chance. "If Steam won't take them, we will!". Well as we all know after a heavy shitstorm Steam did a U-Turn and retreated to "we take everything, we don't judge and care any more".
If they can't assess quality then why not ask the customers here to vote for them(i.e. preorders that only take money if the game is accepted/etc) instead? It'd give them good pr at the very least.

toxicTom: As for HOGs I don't know - maybe they hired someone who is into those games. Or they got a deal too good to pass up. I think it's in their interest to expand into new genres because it draws new customers.
That last bit 100%

toxicTom: I'm really glad these genres made it here, even if they're not my personal top genres (I kind of binge-played through the Artifex Mundi games when I was sick though...)
I also want them to bring even games I dislike/sort of like here...even the sims/VNs/etc.

dgnfly: The forum is mostly full of people with childlike behavior ....
toxicTom: ROFL... that coming from you, pure gold.
To make an example, even criminals can be experts on how to punish other criminals....not saying anything about dgnfly with that, btw, just the first example I could think of.

(I hope you get the gist of what I mean to say with this?)

==================

Crosmando: I agree that Steam takes a lot of crap, but I'm gradually starting to come round to the wisdom of their "libertarian" approach to game curation. What makes a good game is entirely a matter of opinion, just like how I am losing interest in GOG because they consistently release artsy indie style-over-substance games I do not give a two-shits about, but I'm sure someone likes these games. So there you have two positions, I don't like most of the games GOG "curates", but presumably others do, how do you reconcile two opposite opinions? Well the answer should be to allow both games to be released as tastes are different.
If they dropped even a handful of games here they have rejected in the past i'd be happy.
===========================

RWarehall: Personally I find this concept that GoG is so "out of touch" by not accepting the low-selling games specific people want but rather selling games that appeal to more people quite anti-intellectual.
And some of us find your seeming unwillingness to even consider out points to be somewhat close-minded.

RWarehall: GoG IS trying to sell MORE games to MORE people and just because YOU WANT niche games from niche genres doesn't make GoG out-of-touch, more like it makes YOUR TASTES out of touch...
Now you're saying our tastes are crap on top of saying we're dumb? I am trying(barring the pics earlier) to show civility...could you at least show the same in kind?

RWarehall: But what it comes down to, some people want GoG to accept EVERYTHING and become DRM-free Steam.
Assumptions...I never said that and even advocate against bringing all games here...I just want a few more games they rejected to be added, not every game.

RWarehall: The problem with that approach is you'd be taking in the bad of Steam too.
No real support, that would be up to the devs. Little to no quality control, devs can do what they please and leave broken games up and submit money grab re-skins all day. And before you say we have some games now missing patches (which is a problem), Steam is far worse in the games with bugs or half unplayable category.
Again I am against bringing each and every game(esp many asset flips and reskins) here. If you're going to argue against our points at least try to get them right/frame them correctly.

RWarehall: Because for GoG to expand further and make it profitable to accept games which sell only dozens of copies, they would have to drop games technical support, game testing besides just running a virus checker and as many of the little extras that make GoG something a bit different. They'd have to do like Steam and charge devs $100 up front and reduce their services to the point that covers their costs to add a new game.
Solution(possible one): Do as I said above.....let gog take preorders on games to gauge interest....if enough is generated they release thw game and charge people the money, and if not they don't release the game and don't charge people any money. Sound good?
Post edited November 10, 2019 by GameRager
low rated
Jan.Teubel: And more drivel by the renowned mentally disabled basement-dweller.

I don't know what you are or what do you want, and I don't care about your drivel and manure you produce, but I know that you have serious mental problems you can't cope with. You are completely deranged compulsive hoarder.
Dude, could you please stop with this bit(shown above) of name calling and similar? It is rude, discourages actual debate, and solves nothing.

===========================

RWarehall: Ever consider that I play my games offline, DRM-free and that the only playtime actually displayed is when I was testing Galaxy 2.0?
Disagreements aside, I was going to bring this up if you didn't. Time played isn't accurate on gog as many play offline as well as with galaxy as you said.

RWarehall: Let me give you a few examples...
I know about the Cuisinart in Might and Magic 2; the secret Fly scroll and how to get early access to the NWC dungeon in the starting town of MM6, even a hidden "rock" that is really a chest. I've also killed off the dragon in the starting area of Might and Magic 9 with deft dodging of his fireballs using bows since he never approaches the entrance. Crimson Clover showed me just how much I don't have the gaming reflexes of my youth.
If you could be so kind as to tell me a bit about that MM6 dungeon/"rock chest" stuff i'd appreciate it as I love what I played of those games and am a rampant completionist.

Also is M&M 9 any good? I have it and dunno if it'll ply as good as the screenshots look.
Post edited November 10, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: If you could be so kind as to tell me a bit about that MM6 dungeon/"rock chest" stuff i'd appreciate it as I love what I played of those games and am a rampant completionist.

Also is M&M 9 any good? I have it and dunno if it'll ply as good as the screenshots look.
From what I recall there is just a plain "rock" north of the town you start in that is clickable and is really a nice chest with some decent items starting from nothing.

SPOILERS:
There is a big building in the center of that town and clicking the wall around it, there is a Scroll of Flying. Inaccessible except for Flight is the second floor of that building which you can charge right through ignoring the mobs that will kill you at low level, and there is a portal to the "NWC dungeon" which seems to be a re-creation of their offices (New World Computing) filled with a lot of gold, items and stuff.

I liked MM9. It's pretty similar to MM8 not quite as good, but now that it's not a buggy mess like it was on its original release when it was created, it's a good game. If you liked MM6-8, MM9 is more of the same. Slightly less ambitious and a bit "smaller in scope" but a fine game nonetheless. If you aren't tired of this take on the genre after playing through MM6-8, MM9 is more to play.
low rated
RWarehall: From what I recall there is just a plain "rock" north of the town you start in that is clickable and is really a nice chest with some decent items starting from nothing.

SPOILERS:
There is a big building in the center of that town and clicking the wall around it, there is a Scroll of Flying. Inaccessible except for Flight is the second floor of that building which you can charge right through ignoring the mobs that will kill you at low level, and there is a portal to the "NWC dungeon" which seems to be a re-creation of their offices (New World Computing) filled with a lot of gold, items and stuff.
Thanks for the tips...I will likely use them once I can defeat the baddies near the portal(I am somewhat of a completionist and don't like to skip enemies if I can help it).

RWarehall: I liked MM9. It's pretty similar to MM8 not quite as good, but now that it's not a buggy mess like it was on its original release when it was created, it's a good game. If you liked MM6-8, MM9 is more of the same. Slightly less ambitious and a bit "smaller in scope" but a fine game nonetheless. If you aren't tired of this take on the genre after playing through MM6-8, MM9 is more to play.
Well I played M&M 6 years back quite a bit(Snaaaaaaaaaaaaake cultistsssss), and loved it for the most part(i'd have even finished it most likely if my old pc then hadn't gone kaput)....so I will likely like this one. Thanks for all the info.
RWarehall: I know about the Cuisinart in Might and Magic 2
But can you win that fight without winning any other fights first? (In other words, the victory must, according to the message that's displayed when you win, be your 1st victory.)

(By the way, have you played Elminage Gothic, or is it just sitting in your library waiting to be played?)
RWarehall: I know about the Cuisinart in Might and Magic 2
dtgreene: But can you win that fight without winning any other fights first? (In other words, the victory must, according to the message that's displayed when you win, be your 1st victory.)

(By the way, have you played Elminage Gothic, or is it just sitting in your library waiting to be played?)
I have not gotten around to that one yet. I suspect there is a way for that to be one's first battle, just need Magic Herbs in everyone's backpacks to win it.
dtgreene: But can you win that fight without winning any other fights first? (In other words, the victory must, according to the message that's displayed when you win, be your 1st victory.)

RWarehall: I have not gotten around to that one yet. I suspect there is a way for that to be one's first battle, just need Magic Herbs in everyone's backpacks to win it.
Actually, I didn't use any Magic Herbs when I accomplished that feat; in fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't need to heal for the method I used. For an alternate, glitchless, method I came up with, Divine Intervention is all the healing I think is needed for that.

(By the way, the battle counter only counts battles you win; those you run away from don't count, so you can still get into an extra fight and run away.)
low rated
The game will be released on 15th January 2020, on Steam and Humble Store.

twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1213162693076668416

gematsu.com/2020/01/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls-for-pc-launches-january-15

Congratulations to GOG curation.
low rated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJP-B7TKHuA

Hope there will be no further delays this time.
Think I can stomach graphic style, after 20 years it's not an issue.
And hope that's not another disastrous PC port this time...
Jan.Teubel: The game will be released on 15th January 2020, on Steam and Humble Store.

If they get in touch with XSeed posthaste and ask real nice, maybe they still have a chance to get this here on release day.
low rated
Jan.Teubel: The game will be released on 15th January 2020, on Steam and Humble Store.

Always nice to see GOG saving us from good games. Guess I'll just get it from Humble.