It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We invite you to read a guest article by Michael Hoss from Deck13 Interactive

A few years ago it was pretty obvious when a game was developed in Germany. The games had this dry approach, an analytic feel almost. However, over the last decade, the industry has grown and a vibrant indie scene has emerged. Interestingly, there are quite a lot of games in the works, heavily inspired by classic JRPGs. And there is a reason for this.

To understand why Germany has become a country you should mark on your map when you are looking for an old school JRPG experience or game inspired by Japanese video games, you need to look at the people. Gamers that grew up with Nintendo Entertainment Systems, SNES’s, and original PlayStations are growing up and becoming developers.

If you ask these developers, nearly all of them grew up with and loved games such as Zelda, Secret of Mana, and Terranigma. Add to that games like Final Fantasy VI & VII, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Alundra, and you’ll start to see the bigger picture.

If you ask the CrossCode team about their inspirations, they will name quite a few of these. Especially in the RPG sector, Germany adapted very well to the games which were created in Japan. Today, many of the indie developers who grew up on such games are starting to recreate the experiences and feelings these games brought to them when they were younger and when they were exploring them for the first time.

In addition to that, the JRPG / JAA (Japanese action-adventure, e.g. Zelda) genre fits into the development culture of Germany: They are quite a number heavy and based on balance sheets which allow for great levels of min-maxing. All of these things are also represented in the quite popular management-games-sector in Germany.

We’ve already mentioned CrossCode as a good example of JRPG-influenced German games. And you might think it is a one-shot. But there are more coming. Chained Echoes is currently under development and if everything works out as planned, it will be released at the end of 2021. You can play the demo here on GOG.COM during the Indie Arena Booth Online event, actually. And when you play it, you will see how much influence certain games had on it!

You can see that Chained Echoes was heavily inspired by Xenogears, Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy VI & Tactics, and Xenoblade Chronicles. And it is not even a secret: The developer says that he grew up on these. The same is true for the whole CrossCode team. And yet, both titles also offer their own twists and innovations on the formula. Just take a look at the combat systems: CrossCode improves upon proven systems with a complex element system and Chained Echoes has an Overdrive-System that requires the players to choose their options wisely.

There are more in development of course. Or out there already. You have Resolutiion, which takes a lot of inspiration from the very first Zelda games. Also included in that same vein, Spindle is another one inspired by Zelda.

The list could easily be continued but if you ask the developers they’ll all give you the same answer in the end: They’ve grown up with JRPGs. And for one reason or another, they all want new (and old generations) to experience that feeling as well.
teceem: Maybe the J should be removed? Do you still call your numerals Arabic?
Breja: Uhm... yes?
You know they are, you just never refer to them as such in real life (unless maybe when you talk about the Roman ones).

Question for somebody who knows more about JRPGs than me: How many games that have been made "in that style" the last 20 years have come from Japan? A majority? Or far from it? (or something in between)
Post edited August 28, 2020 by teceem
Wow, so many German JRPGs! Like, almost three, and incidentally all published by the author's studio! Anyway, quite a bit of stereotyping there with the dry number fetishism but okay, if it helps to promote the games. ;)
Post edited August 28, 2020 by Leroux
I didn't know that Germany produces so many JRPGs, really has me worried, will there be a wave of German-produced visual novels next, which are even more degenerate than the Japanese originals?
I remember playing a tech demo of crosscode when it was posted on rpg-atelier, it was playable on a browser and the game was cool.
The thing is they were posting on a german rpg maker forum that i visit sometimes.
Since old pc can still play most of rpg maker games and there were many good ones on that forum.
XYCat: GRPGs
I was too late!!!
teceem: Maybe the J should be removed? Do you still call your numerals Arabic?

(devil's advocate talking)
ReynardFox: Though I was posting with my tongue firmly in my cheek, normally someone trying to be articulate would say something like 'Japanese styled RPG' if they were referring to something like this, using 'JRPG" directly for a German made game hits my pedantic ears the same way as someone calling a Western made show "Anime".
CRPGs aren't really about role-playing in the sense that tabletop RPGs are, yet we still have the "R" and "P" in the genre's name.

Similarly, "GOG" used to stand for Good Old Games, but now sells modern indie games (and even some modern non-indies) as well.
Breja: Maybe someone could tell the Germans to stop wasting their time on crap like this and make more Drakensang.
As long as it is more like A River of Time and less (or even better, not at all) like Drakensang Online, then i approve the above.
Vythonaut: Drakensang Online.
>Stares blankly ahead while Fortunate Son starts playing<
That reminds me how is it that both Drakensang titles aren't available on GOG. I really like the first one. The second...added some interesting things, but not very fond of it.

Also, it's a bit funny to read in the title "How are so many great JRPGs being created in Germany?" And he only names 3. Now i'm curious to know if there are so many or it's just an exaggeration.
ReynardFox: Who's gonna be the one to tell GOG what the J stands for?
J for Jermany
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I'd sure love to see Michael Hoss, and/or anyone from the Cross Code dev team, publicly try to explain a legitimate good reason for why they can't be bothered to add Galaxy Achievements to the GOG version of that game, even though they did do it for the Steam version.

If one day they decide to stop treating GOG customers like second-class citizens in that regard, by making the GOG version equal to its Steam counterpart - as it should have been from day one - then I'd buy & play Cross Code.

But if they continue to give us unfair & unequal treatment, then I'm never buying or playing it, regardless of how good it might be.
You complain so much about missing achievements that someone should make you a game that is all about achievements. There would be no actual game, just heaps and heaps of achievements to unlock by simply clicking on them.

I still recall the good old pre-Galaxy times when no GOG games had achievements. Just unadulterated gaming content in its purest form known to humankind.
Post edited August 28, 2020 by timppu
timppu: I still recall the good old pre-Galaxy times when no GOG games had achievements. Just unadulterated gaming content in its purest form known to humankind.
What is this madness? Having fun without a game telling me when to salivate? You monster!
teceem: Question for somebody who knows more about JRPGs than me: How many games that have been made "in that style" the last 20 years have come from Japan? A majority? Or far from it? (or something in between)
My sense from the ones I have found would be that translated Japanese games make up at least a majority of English language games in the JRPG style (possibly large majority) and I'm fairly sure there are many more that have not been translated. Partly because Japanese games make it into the JRPG category more easily due to the definition. I don't know if anyone has attempted to create a "games released in a country relative to population" metric, but if they did I'd bet Japan would be on top.

For me at least one of the key elements that makes a game JRPG-like is the extensive story and game developers outside Japan seem much more reluctant to include a bunch of text and rarely bother to give random NPCs much to say. The other element I'd include in JRP-like is emotional expressions in dialog. CrossCode messes this part up, often giving Lea super strong emotional reactions to trivial things. Some people might consider the art style or being turn-based a major part of JRPG style.

Xabyer_B: Cross Code deserves a pedestal and sadly here at gog it has no achievements.
Note that it does have in game achievements, just not on Galaxy.
Leroux: Wow, so many German JRPGs! Like, almost three, and incidentally all published by the author's studio! Anyway, quite a bit of stereotyping there with the dry number fetishism but okay, if it helps to promote the games. ;)
Yeah, I was anticipating a few new (J)RPG releases or a solid list of JRPGs, but sadly no. :(

I'm still wishing for a Dragon Quest XI release on gog...or Persona 4. I know, those games are pretty much out of the question, but nothing is impossible I guess! *peeks over at the Control thread*
ReynardFox: Though I was posting with my tongue firmly in my cheek, normally someone trying to be articulate would say something like 'Japanese styled RPG' if they were referring to something like this, using 'JRPG" directly for a German made game hits my pedantic ears the same way as someone calling a Western made show "Anime".
There are Western Anime shows though. Anime has become synonymous with the style of artwork and animation used in the piece. Like the recent Castlevania animated series, which calls back a lot to Vampire Hunter D for its style and mood, as well as Berserk some. On the subject of Berserk, Dark Souls is a Western RPG developed by an entirely Nihonjin staff. Come at me bro!! :P