It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Austrobogulator: Sigh, I wish the sales page actually showed which of them are on your Wishlist...
Didn't it also show which ones were in your cart, as recently as last week? Now it shows me which ones I already own (thank you, GOG), but the flag to show things are in your cart have disappeared again.

Please! Give me full discolsure of the status of each game (cart, library, wishlist or price), and the price listed again in my wishlist, and a notification when something in my wishlist goes on sale, and I'll be happy. (At least, until something else occurs to me! ;-) !!)
The biggest issue for me is still no possibility of changing currency to euro from usd on gog. Im attaching a screenshot of the currency selection menu.
Attachments:
Post edited September 09, 2014 by Matruchus
Here's my wish

scroll the menu bar!

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/allow_the_menu_bar_on_top_to_be_scrolled_away
Post edited September 09, 2014 by The11thPlague
high rated
Matruchus: It seems all this gogs redesign of the website is just following to the so called design trends that are making website awfull. Attaching picture about today's webdesign trends.
Unfortunately, that is true. I actually just had a meeting with my boss where he told me I should start thinking more about browsing our sites on mobile first, computer second. Which is kinda hard for me as I never use mobiles(or tablets) to browse.

That said, it doesn't have to be that way. Websites can be displayed differently depending on the device it's being displayed at. Sure, it's harder/more expensive, typically more than what a small company can do. I'm the lead developer at the company I work for, and the entire technical team (composed by me, I and myself) unanimously agrees with me on that. But for a big-ish one, specially those for which website storefront is the #1 priority like in GOG... it shouldn't be that hard to have a mobile version and a computer version, instead of forcing computer users to deal with mobile crap.

And yes, I'm bitter about having to take that at my job. Hell, I had to start a facebook account just so I could check that the "log in through facebook" button works! I spent half an hour in the shower and I still feel dirty...
Am I the only one who have a hard time getting to the promo page? I can't click on the top banners for the promo but when I go down to the News section I can click on the promo that will take me to a page with text about the promo but no links I can click and then I have to open the Comments section and in the first post by GOG there is a link somewhere I can click on that will take me to the actual promo page. I guess I don't have to say how tedious that is and doesn't encourage me to buy stuff.

I can't use arrows on banners either and my Game Collection loads VERY VERY slowly before I can DL games. Oh, and bring back colors, please.
Since the search did not give me usefull results: Does anyone know if not being able to sort games manually on your shelf is a bug specific to a browser or is it a general problem and was there anything mentioned if it is being worked on? Thanks :-)

[edit] ok strange, after changing the sorting options to by purchase date and back to manual again I could sort the games...
Post edited September 09, 2014 by moonshineshadow
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but when looking at the screenshots for a game didn't it used to scroll to the next one when you clicked on it? Now there doesn't even seem to be arrows and you have to click the thumbnails. Makes browsing the screenshots a little frustrating.
It seems that the gamecards are getting modifications, specially in the 'Buy it' box. So devs, would you please include the Wishlist button in said box instead of keeping it along the Twitter and others? And make a different mark Wishlist It and Already Wishlisted?

And while you are at it, a friendly reminder to remove the 'Read more' from the description, so that section appears uncollapsed by default like it is on the pidgeon game. Pretty please?[/broken record]
I would like to thanks gog website developers for responding to my currency menu problem, fixing it and thus allowing me to choose currency freely as it was supposed to be in the first place.

Thanks Jurij and others!
Matruchus: I would like to thanks gog website developers for responding to my currency menu problem, fixing it and thus allowing me to choose currency freely as it was supposed to be in the first place.

Thanks Jurij and others!
I second this motion.
Is it possible to edit a game review?
If not, I would like to suggest to add such a feature.

Spelling errors, fact corrections, or even the option to delete a self written review would be very helpful.
xwormwood: Is it possible to edit a game review?
If not, I would like to suggest to add such a feature.

Spelling errors, fact corrections, or even the option to delete a self written review would be very helpful.
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/ability_to_editupdatedelete_own_reviews_or_ability_to_report_dated_reviews

Note that this has been on the wishlist for at least two years now, so don't hold your breath.
I saw some message on the bottom: "You don' t need fix GOG notifications stylish style anymore" or something of that sort. I wonder if GOG added that there :)
Post edited September 09, 2014 by shmerl
shmerl: I saw some message on the bottom: "You don' t need fix GOG notifications stylish style anymore" or something of that sort. I wonder if GOG added that there :)
No. It's the "fix GOG notifications" style itself which tells you that.

ChrisSD:
Nice touch, ChrisSD.
Post edited September 10, 2014 by mrkgnao
high rated
The fresher, better GOG sure is not better if one visits the site:
1. without having an account/ being logged in,
2. allowing javascript, and
3. not allowing cookies.

The fist and second attachment demonstrate how the front page looks without and with javascript enabled - allowing it oddly leads to half of the front page content to vanish.
The third screenshot shows what one is presented with when accessing a game page under the conditions I mention above (I've checked several random game pages). Instead of being able to check out the page, one is stuck with the user review pop-up window. One can still scroll down the page, though it's not much use when it comes to the user reviews portion.
The last screenshot shows that the user reviews try to load but never succeed, thus don't display for the visitor.

The only way to avoid all this, is to either also disallow javascript, but then the interaction with the site is severely limited (for example neither the description nor the user reviews display) or to allow cookies.

It seems to me that the revamped site relies a lot on cookies for the content to display properly, something I think is a poor choice and takes for granted that every visitor of GOG's site allows cookies by default. I assume that the crowd that surfs the Internet with cookies-on or never clear their GOG cookie won't notice this, but it's still an arbitrary assumption by GOG that every single visitor of their site does so.

Note that none of the above was happening with the previous design - no javascript still meant limited functionality, but once enabled without cookies everything worked as intended.

This was tested on a desktop PC and using both Gecko based browsers (Firefox and Pale Moon) and Chrome based ones (SWare Iron).

Not happy about it, as I often quickly check GOG without logging in, guess I have to stop doing it now that the new design is here to stay, so thanks GOG for degrading my experience. :/
Attachments: