It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Matruchus: This is gog.com logo on youtube.
HypersomniacLive: Oh dear, It starts to feel like GOG can't make up their minds what their colours should be.
It's almost like... they put more importance on the shape of the logo, while the colours may change to suit different graphic designs and pop out when/where it needs to.
Post edited September 06, 2014 by Maighstir
My biggest pet peeves with the new design are the general dumbing down / hiding of information all across the new site, the need to scroll much more around and - following the first thing - I really do not know at a glance if I'm logged in or not.

The last point is really major flaw in the design and I do not know another competitor of GOG where I cannot tell if I am logged in or not. GamersGate, Green Man Gaming, ShinyLoot, dotEMU, Steam, HumbleBundle, Desura or even IndieGameStand ... everywhere I just have to look at the top of the page and I do know if I have to login or not.

Even if you look on the intended new audience of GOG ... in the Apple AppStore, in Amazon or Google, you see this bit of information readily.

On GOG, there is just an omnious "ACCOUNT" and .. nothing else.
Post edited September 07, 2014 by coffeecup
gamefood: Edit: I've emptied my wishlist.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
And sort of to show it is not just GOG being influenced by this 'worse' design aesthetic that has been going around (most likely influenced by Windows 8 Metro), here is a collection of 4 applications with their new 'windows 8' inspired re-designs, all of which i find worse than how they used to be just months ago:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p199/BlackBart06/General/Windows8ification1_zps08b08c98.jpg

There are a bunch of others that i couldn't fit in, PSI secunia probably the worst (so much so i've stuck with the older 2.0 version as it is just much more functional), and then you have border line cases like Comodo firewall, which while not as clearly influenced by Windows 8 Metro, it's less detailed and functional new GUI has that same aspect as Metro brought to the desktop, less detailed functionality.

It's like ALL the tech sector companies have followed Microsoft's thinking that all end users are dumb and need as little detail as possible or they might get overwhelmed? It might all be about 'mobile' and fitting stuff into tiny screenspace, but that doesn't really fly as you can shrink or expand many of the application page anyway. So i think it more to do with aiming for the lowest common denominator and thinking in general that end users are stupid and need less control and removing easy access to the more detailed information.

Why that seems to mean 'make it ugly' i have no idea?
Post edited September 07, 2014 by ThorChild
high rated
First I thought: New design...well....o.k.

Now after a while I have to say I really don't like it. It looks bloated, pale, dumb and boring. Also I'm still missing prices on my wishlist.

I think, stepping back to the old design would be a nice move by GOG. This new design doesn't look fresh at all. Also the navigation and the structure of the site isn't good.

I must admit I'm not very motivated to look on GOG anymore, after the new design was implemented.
high rated
I think they are hoping new members wont know any better and fuck the Veteran members, because we are to big now for it matter .... the fact that they have not responded to the obvious dislike of this Train Wreck of a shitty new look shows complete and utter arrogance ... sadly though there are way to many gog sycophants that think that anything they do is the fucking second coming. So we will probably be stuck with this shit ... well I wont because I refuse to use the site again in this state. I want to enjoy spending my hard earned money .. not throw it away on a shitty iTunes clone.
Post edited September 07, 2014 by summitus
high rated
Maighstir: It's almost like... they put more importance on the shape of the logo, while the colours may change to suit different graphic designs and pop out when/where it needs to.
Hmm, I have no idea what the actual colours/ design of YouTube is (I like to restyle the web to alleviate eye strain). Only thing I can say is that the colour pallet (yeah, I know it's an oxymoron) of the site was their own choice, so...

summitus: I think they are hoping new members wont know any better and fuck the Veteran members, because we are to big now for it matter .... the fact that they have not responded to the obvious dislike of this Train Wreck of a shitty new look shows complete and utter arrogance ... sadly though there are way to many gog sycophants that think that anything they do is the fucking second coming. So we will probably be stuck with this shit ... well I wont because I refuse to use the site again in this state. I want to enjoy spending my hard earned money .. not throw it away on a shitty iTunes clone.
With all due respect, you're throwing it (away) at the content that GOG carries, not at the actual site design.
I'm one of those that didn't like the new layout, but as pointed out this happens with all changes: Facebook changed several times and each time it was like the end of the workd for somebody, so not a big deal, we'll get used to it.

I do *hate* the fact that they've removed the prices from the Wishlist, though. I'd like to be proven wrong (especially since judasiscariot said they're working on it), but my feeling is that this was done on purpose. It's well known that several people make use of the Wishlist to quickly check when prices drop for deals and the like, just as it is known that there are people who *only* buy games when they're on sale. This move seems an awkward way to fight this behaviour.
Post edited September 07, 2014 by Rainmak3r
Rainmak3r: I'm one of those that didn't like the new layout, but as pointed out this happens with all changes: Facebook changed several times and each time it was like the end of the workd for somebody, so not a big deal, we'll get used to it.

I do *hate* the fact that they've removed the prices from the Wishlist, though. I'd like to be proven wrong (especially since judasiscariot said they're working on it), but my feeling is that this was done on purpose. It's well known that several people make use of the Wishlist to quickly check when prices drop for deals and the like, just as it is known that there are people who *only* buy games when they're on sale. This move seems an awkward way to fight this behaviour.
I'm not so sure about it being a GOGian conspiracy as it's so easily worked around: See my script for Chrome and Firefox:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/community_bug_fixes_for_firefox_and_chrome/page1

And it does make sense that this is an honest bug. Behind the scenes they've changed the way they deal with prices in a big way. The old parts of the site obviously weren't built for this and it's possible they don't want to spend too much time adapting and bug fixing the legacy pages when they're going to replace them soon.
Rainmak3r: I'm one of those that didn't like the new layout, but as pointed out this happens with all changes: Facebook changed several times and each time it was like the end of the workd for somebody, so not a big deal, we'll get used to it.

and a pretty retarded one, at that. I'm not sure that's the case. all it'll do is cause more people to use external services for this, which will in turn make those external services more sophisticated.

We did not remove those prices on purpose. We are working on bringing them back ASAP :)

JudasIscariot: We did not remove those prices on purpose. We are working on bringing them back ASAP :)
Thanks for the clarification and for proving me wrong! :-)
gamefood: Edit: I've emptied my wishlist.
real.geizterfahr: Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
[OT] Nice media-spanning anthology. A must.
Has the Search functionality been changed? Or is something just broken for the moment?

Two days ago, the Search on the menu bar had a drop-down function. That seems to have gone, in my browser at least, and now clicking on the Search icon moves the browser to the full Games catalogue page with a search window at the top.

If this is an intentional change, it's retrograde.
Post edited September 07, 2014 by Branais
Branais: Has the Search functionality been changed? Or is something just broken for the moment?

Two days ago, the Search on the menu bar had a drop-down function. That seems to have gone, in my browser at least, and now clicking on the Search icon moves the browser to the full Games catalogue page with a search window at the top.

If this is an intentional change, it's retrograde.
It depends what page you're on. If you're on one of the new pages (like the homepage or a game page) then it's a drop-down. If you're on a legacy page like the forum or shelf page then it does what you describe.

My userscript attempts to fix things for people who like to use extensions in their browser:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/community_bug_fixes_for_firefox_and_chrome/page1