It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Well isn't that special.

Now please go back to making more of your existing games Mac compatible. I'd like to play the Interstate series on my Mac. Who's that guy who created an app that allowed people to make wrappers for Mac games, and then supposedly worked for Gog in converting more games to Mac? Maybe us Mac users should all buy him a beer or drink of choice. :-D
jalister: Those that don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

Windows 8 Modern UI
https://macnaticopr.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/aol-1996-vs-microsoft-windows-8.jpg

Ubuntu Unity (Linux Mint and other distros gain popularity)
http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/11/23/ubuntu-linux-losing-popularity-fast-new-unity-interface-to-blame/

Digg v4 (Reddit reaped the rewards)
http://searchengineland.com/digg-v4-how-to-successfully-kill-a-community-50450
A part that I like, "Digg just made the same mistake. They just scrapped their existing site, replaced it with a new one, and told everyone it was Digg. That’s what everyone’s angry about: it’s not Digg, and they really resent being repeatedly told that it is."

Slashdot Beta (SoylentNews is born)
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/slashdots-new-interface-could-kill-what-keeps-slashdot-relevant/
I will disagree with some of it.
Windows can afford doing whatever they want since they mostly get income from corporate clients. E.g. the company I work for, had to switch to Windows 7 from Windows XP just because Microsoft does not support WinXP anymore. And the management as everywhere does not give a darn about what us workers think. (And most people at work hate even Windows 7). So Microsoft is pretty safe here.

Gog is same deal: I do not care too much about its web site, mostly about the contents, as I already said. Gog's management obviously is not very concerned with the website since they know people will come here anyway. So gog.com can afford to have a not-so-good-anymore website.

The danger is mostly for products which have an alternative. Such as AOL or Ubuntu. Since introduction of Unity interface, 2 years ago, I switched to Xubuntu distro which has the most basic Windows-95 interface, and boy, am I happy with it! At work I have to fight with stupid Windows 7 start menu and idiotic new file open dialog, and this is a struggle. Fortunately, I use Total Commander, which takes care of file operations (and its interface has not changed for 20 years or so!)
Did anyone experience an extreme slowness when downloading from GOG right now?
ryanflucas: Well isn't that special.

Now please go back to making more of your existing games Mac compatible. I'd like to play the Interstate series on my Mac. Who's that guy who created an app that allowed people to make wrappers for Mac games, and then supposedly worked for Gog in converting more games to Mac? Maybe us Mac users should all buy him a beer or drink of choice. :-D
If you download Wineskin you can build your own wrappers; including one that possibly allows you to play the interstate series...
it's a bit annoying i can't see the news section on my ipad...
As do I. So many colors. It almost burns my retinas after a few days with this grey thing we are forced to use now.
I've been trying to remain positive about the changes to the website, and mostly, although I don't like them, I can live with them. (If they would make it consistent, it would be nice...)

However. I tend to browse this site on my phone a lot, and the mobile view is completely screwy. When I open the main page, I get why the most recent release banner is at the top, but why do I then need to scroll past all of the new/best-selling list, and then the GOG 'guarantees' bit, and only then get to the new announcements? It makes no sense. I miss being able to go past the new release banners straight to announcements. Throwing all this other stuff in the way only makes me not want to visit the site.

The game pages are just as badly setup. When I look at an individual game page, I want the game name, type, stars, and system requirements at the top - I don't want to scroll through "also buy these!" or "other people also bought these!" before I get to even know if I can run the thing.

I'll echo practically everyone else about the top menu bar: The buttons are way too big. Even on my phone, they're too big, while the text on them is nearly too small to read. Also, on the phone, they're very hard to use - it seems like I have to touch them twice, or nail the actual word on the first try, to get things to load.

For those pages with a side menu, I encountered an issue today: Once the side menu was up, I couldn't get rid of it if I wanted to stay on the page I was already on.

One last thing I forgot to mention: The new site design is slow. Like, SLOOOOOOOOOOWWW. The screenshots I attached below I took earlier today; you can see on the first two that the page is only halfway loaded. That was after I'd opened the site and let it sit for a minute. (I haven't noticed it as much on the regular (non-mobile) version, but I have noticed it there, too.)

If the general suspicion that the site redesign is at least partially to make it mobile-friendly is correct, I'd say that intention for the redesign failed.
Attachments:
Post edited September 05, 2014 by penumbren
shmerl: Did anyone experience an extreme slowness when downloading from GOG right now?
Yes, I am. I bought a swag of the Activision games, and many of the going-going-gone games, and they're taking *forever* to download, even the small ones. I've assumed it's due to traffic on the download server -- in some senses, a nice problem for GOG to have! ;-) -- but it's a bit frustrating.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Branais
I love GOG but I definitely don't love the new site. It didn't seem to be broken before so I don't know why it required fixing.
- when it come to changing things im used to, i prefer evolution, not revolution.

- its uneasy on eye and i dont know where to find common things like diskusion under weekend promos.. why is the banner unclickable????????? ??????????? ???????????

- in spite of fact that unfunctional things like to find my older post on diskusions or better filtering games by price or sub-genres are unfunctional further and further.

- users reviews seems sneaky getting more hidden

- i can see no one game with whole 60% discount as promotion says ;-)
Post edited September 05, 2014 by flanner
fdr182: Windows can afford doing whatever they want since they mostly get income from corporate clients. E.g. the company I work for, had to switch to Windows 7 from Windows XP just because Microsoft does not support WinXP anymore. And the management as everywhere does not give a darn about what us workers think. (And most people at work hate even Windows 7). So Microsoft is pretty safe here.
True, but that doesn't mean people are happy with it. Most of my clients like Windows 7 a lot, and most are dreading the day they can only get Windows 8. Hopefully rumors about Windows 9 are true, and Microsoft will go back to the desktop UI on the desktop.

shmerl: Did anyone experience an extreme slowness when downloading from GOG right now?
I notice slowness anytime I'm on the new pages, especially on my mobile.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by jalister
We are going a bit backwards regarding the Owner tag, it seems it's light gray again.

The wishlist doesn't show the prices yet. On the normal list for games, we now have a gray heart icon right after the title. The wishlist button is still along the Share/Social buttons.

Description on gamecards is uncollapsed for Hatoful, but every other game seems to keep it collapsed.

That's what I can notice right now.
Well at least im happy now to report that notifications now work 100% in Firefox 32.
high rated
revanbh: As do I. So many colors. It almost burns my retinas after a few days with this grey thing we are forced to use now.
Ok so i wanted a side by side comparison, so made one using jalister's screenshot of the Good Old days:

Now it is not so much the lack of colour overall (as you can see there are lots of colours on the new site look too, just not in the important area of the Logo we love and same lovely favicon), but does it not strike you just how cluttered the new design looks? It feels more busy, less relaxed (less generous even?), more cubist with less soft curves to make you feel at home. The new site feels 'cheap' and less welcoming in comparison to the old one (sorry new site designers! It's not just your fault, this style is currently doing the rounds, it's just mostly not a good design aesthetic).

It is very much a windows 8 aesthetic, this new cubism in web/application design. Oh and Photobucket have now also joined this 'windows8 fanboy' club, to add to the growing list of companies and sites that think this cubism is a good thing.
Attachments:
Post edited September 05, 2014 by ThorChild
ThorChild: It is very much a windows 8 aesthetic, this new cubism in web/application design. Oh and Photobucket have now also joined this 'windows8 fanboy' club, to add to the growing list of companies and sites that think this cubism is a good thing.
Thanks for the side by side shot.

The old site is so much better. Everything about it. I especially prefer the old site for the headlines. The old site has style. I really don't understand why everyone has to follow what Microsoft decides to do.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by jalister