It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
ThorChild: Ok so i wanted a side by side comparison, so made one using jalister's screenshot of the Good Old days:

Now it is not so much the lack of colour overall (as you can see there are lots of colours on the new site look too, just not in the important area of the Logo we love and same lovely favicon), but does it not strike you just how cluttered the new design looks? It feels more busy, less relaxed (less generous even?), more cubist with less soft curves to make you feel at home. The new site feels 'cheap' and less welcoming in comparison to the old one (sorry new site designers! It's not just your fault, this style is currently doing the rounds, it's just mostly not a good design aesthetic).

It is very much a windows 8 aesthetic, this new cubism in web/application design. Oh and Photobucket have now also joined this 'windows8 fanboy' club, to add to the growing list of companies and sites that think this cubism is a good thing.
Thanks for the picture - now its really obvious that the new webpage has too much stuff thrown on the frontpage and this makes it extremely cluttered, especially since you can't see the headlines at once but have to scroll down and those five unnecessary offers tiles under latest deals are really unnecessary. The old website was really better structured.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Thanks for the picture - now its really obvious that the new webpage has too much stuff thrown on the frontpage and this makes it extremely cluttered, especially since you can't see the headlines at once but have to scroll down and those five unnecessary offers tiles under latest deals are really unnecessary. The old website was really better structured.
It's even worse on mobile. You have to scroll down past the first images, the 25 best sellers, and the 100% DRM-FREE - Fair Price - Money-back messages to finally reach the headlines. Plus it's so slow to load and scroll.
fdr182: Windows can afford doing whatever they want since they mostly get income from corporate clients. E.g. the company I work for, had to switch to Windows 7 from Windows XP just because Microsoft does not support WinXP anymore. And the management as everywhere does not give a darn about what us workers think. (And most people at work hate even Windows 7). So Microsoft is pretty safe here.
jalister: True, but that doesn't mean people are happy with it. Most of my clients like Windows 7 a lot, and most are dreading the day they can only get Windows 8. Hopefully rumors about Windows 9 are true, and Microsoft will go back to the desktop UI on the desktop.
I suspect people like Windows 7 so much because they compare it with Windows 8. All versions after Windows XP suck comparing to it. It is like a car with square wheels: it may have 10 times more powerful engine and made of gold, but comparing to any old clunker with normal wheels it will be unusable. So Windows 7 is perceived to be better because it is closer to Windows XP than Windows 8.

Fortunately Win7 can be relatively easily modified back to Windows XP (on my desktop, I do not even notice the difference, except for this stupid File Opener dialog I already complained about, but I am too easy to modify it). And if Microsoft really wanted to care about customers, they know what to do: return to EXACT interface of WinXP with some necessary improvements, and then put whatever they want under the hood.

It is all in comparison.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by fdr182
I remember when people would complain about the 'Fisher-Price' default WinXP UI, and say the first thing they did was switch it back to the Win95 look.

A Win8-until-you-install-Classic-Shell tile-style layout certainly seems to encourage overcrowded design, though. I think a lot of designers absorbed the lesson that 'content is king' but then ended up giving us a whole royal retinue.
ThorChild: Ok so i wanted a side by side comparison, so made one using jalister's screenshot of the Good Old days:
That's a great comparison. What it doesn't show is that on the old site, once you logged in the "reasons you'll love GOG" disappeared, giving more space to the news and game list. On the new site, the "all that is good in gaming" info annoyingly remains, hiding the news from view. This is kind of stupid: If you're logged in you don't need to be given GOG's sales pitch, you're already on board.

Not to mention the wording: "Discover all the reasons you will love GOG!" feels friendly and welcoming, while "GOG.com: All that is good in gaming" feels ridiculously arrogant.

Overall, too much space is used. My laptop has a pretty low vertical resolution, but on the old site I could see the news and bestsellers without scrolling down. On the new site all I see is pictures of a bunch of games I have no interest in, I have to scroll down to see anything interesting.
Marbel: I love GOG but I definitely don't love the new site. It didn't seem to be broken before so I don't know why it required fixing.
quoted for truth.

if you insist on a reboot, paint it black :P

edit: I still don't know if I'm logged or not, if I take a quick look after typing gog.com in my browser.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by coffeecup
jalister: True, but that doesn't mean people are happy with it. Most of my clients like Windows 7 a lot, and most are dreading the day they can only get Windows 8. Hopefully rumors about Windows 9 are true, and Microsoft will go back to the desktop UI on the desktop.
fdr182: I suspect people like Windows 7 so much because they compare it with Windows 8. All versions after Windows XP suck comparing to it. It is like a car with square wheels: it may have 10 times more powerful engine and made of gold, but comparing to any old clunker with normal wheels it will be unusable. So Windows 7 is perceived to be better because it is closer to Windows XP than Windows 8.

Fortunately Win7 can be relatively easily modified back to Windows XP (on my desktop, I do not even notice the difference, except for this stupid File Opener dialog I already complained about, but I am too easy to modify it). And if Microsoft really wanted to care about customers, they know what to do: return to EXACT interface of WinXP with some necessary improvements, and then put whatever they want under the hood.

It is all in comparison.
I've been using 7 since before 8 was announced. There are quirks that I don't like. Windows Explorer does some weird things, and I have accidentally deleted files or folders that I didn't want to. I have retrained myself to prevent that. I also use FreeCommander and Directory Opus now. Windows likes to use up all the free memory for caching, but then doesn't release it fast enough which causes unnecessary paging. I do like the overall look of 7, and it preforms well for me. I also needed 64 bit due to how much RAM I am running. I skipped Vista because it was a slow and buggy mess.

I would have preferred 64 bit Windows XP to have been as polished as the 32 bit version.

I wish developers wouldn't try to fix what isn't broken.
Matruchus: Thanks for the picture - now its really obvious that the new webpage has too much stuff thrown on the frontpage and this makes it extremely cluttered, especially since you can't see the headlines at once but have to scroll down and those five unnecessary offers tiles under latest deals are really unnecessary. The old website was really better structured.
jalister: It's even worse on mobile. You have to scroll down past the first images, the 25 best sellers, and the 100% DRM-FREE - Fair Price - Money-back messages to finally reach the headlines. Plus it's so slow to load and scroll.
Yet it is worse on mobile for sure. Login does not work at all. Search almost impossible since something is wrong with the input coding for search since its extremely slow (1-2 minutes input response time before search starts). The frontpage does not fit to screen and shows the right top tiles and all the right lists partly out of the screen. News or headlines as they are called now are at the bottom of the page. Gamepage is the most ludicrous - first the huge background picture of the game that is still there when you scroll down being so big, a few tiny pictures of the game then and then the description which is hidden (why exactly I don't know) and then tons of game reviews that should be at the bottom of the site and not on top. They should have put the pc specs on top and not at the bottom of the page. I don't know the mobile website is not really good and since its not possible to login its also not usable.
jalister:
Regarding WIN 7 - the 32bit version did not work good for me on my pc but when I got a 64 bit version of it everything started working as it was supposed to.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Regarding WIN 7 - the 32bit version did not work good for me on my pc but when I got a 64 bit version of it everything started working as it was supposed to.
I haven't dealt with the 32bit a lot. I'm 64bit on everything using Windows or Linux, except for my netbook and one XP machine. I'm glad to see switching helped you out.
high rated
ecamber: [...]

Not to mention the wording: "Discover all the reasons you will love GOG!" feels friendly and welcoming, while "GOG.com: All that is good in gaming" feels ridiculously arrogant.

[...]
Have to agree, I liked the old sales pitch better than the new one, was more catchy due to its friendly and welcoming tone.
ecamber: [...]

[...]
HypersomniacLive: Have to agree, I liked the old sales pitch better than the new one, was more catchy due to its friendly and welcoming tone.
The site redesign, the organization of the page, the rewording of the site... it just feels like another company bought GOG and twisted GOG into another mega-retailer site. It's now cold and impersonal.
high rated
jalister: The site redesign, the organization of the page, the rewording of the site... it just feels like another company bought GOG and twisted GOG into another mega-retailer site. It's now cold and impersonal.
I guess it comes with the territory, entering (eyeing?) the big league and all, pity they're losing their playfulness on the way, I thought it was rather fitting for a games store (even for a mixed game/s movies one).

I'd genuinely be interested in hearing why they felt that such a change was in order.
HypersomniacLive: I'd genuinely be interested in hearing why they felt that such a change was in order.
Me too. I wonder why we there has been no response after 80 pages of negative feedback.
I wonder

why am i still on these forums
why am i still visiting this website
ne_zavarj: I wonder

why am i still on these forums
why am i still visiting this website
Because underneath all the complaints we have about the website, so far it's still GOG.