It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Which games are keeping you company this weekend?

It's a bit unfair to other games that right now <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span> is dominating all the online and watercooler discussions, isn't it? But there's so much stuff to talk about in there! While we're on the subject, though, what's your favorite space-themed game ever? Is it No Man's Sky? A roguelike? Perhaps a 4X strategy. Or a simulator. Whatever it is, let's talk about it!

How does your gaming weekend look, by the way? Go on, share your Weekend Playlist with us. It can include single-player games, multiplayer games, console exclusives, anything - we are not judging. In fact, we are sharing too!

Looking for some additional inspiration? The GOG.com releases of the week might help:

- You can design and ride your own <span class="bold">Bounty Train</span> through the unforgiving Old West.
- You can expand your Ashes of the Singularity tactics in the new maps included in the <span class="bold">Oblivion DLC</span>.
- You can go back to your RTS roots and let the four alien races duke it out in <span class="bold">War Wind</span> and <span class="bold">War Wind II</span>.
- You can show the Olympian gods who's boss by stomping on their arrogant heads with your angry <span class="bold">Okhlos</span>.
- You can venture into the heavy-metal lands of legend and shred some demons in the re-launched <span class="bold">Slain: Back From Hell</span>.

So, GOGasaurs, what are you playing this weekend?
vanchann: I'll continue my Xenonauts campaign.
How is Xenonauts? on fence a few times picking that up.

Favorite Space Game and currently playing : Star Wars : Rebellion get past interface and there is a deep game there.
Open-Xcom and maybe some Master of Magic
Post edited August 20, 2016 by narb79
SCPM: I'll be playing that between bouts of binge watching Babylon 5 this weekend.
Cavalary: First time or rewatching (possibly due to one more cast member going beyond the rim recently)?
First time, it'd been on my to-watch list for a long while. I couldn't find it to stream anywhere, but I did find the first couple seasons and movies for cheap on DVD. I'm into the second season now and enjoying it so far. Though when I did look up what happened to some of the actors on the show like Andreas Katsulas, Michael O'Hare, and Jerry Doyle, it's sad to find out that they had passed away recently and relatively young.
I'm gonna split my time between Elite: Dangerous, Enderal (the total conversion for Skyrim) and Theme Hospital (just played a few levels today and got me hooked again on it, after so many years.)
Now THIS will piss those with delusions of NMS being anything but a total disaster fest.
I tried NMS out, got bored of it and got a refund. Screw them, and screw their dev. At least I know which dev NOT to buy from :)

Ill be playing Empyrion:Galactic Survival (The NMS that SHOULD have been). IF you're tired of the games media and other sites lying to you about how awesome NMS is, check this game out. It IS far more awesome than NMS. It HAS the crafting, it HAS the proper solar systems, it HAS intelligent aliens that LOOK proper, it HAS the stuff that NMS wishes it does.

So if you're bored as hell, try that game out and give THOSE devs the money they justly deserve, not these NMS asshats.
narb79: How is Xenonauts? on fence a few times picking that up.
I haven't played the original X-COM, so I can only write for the game by itself.

I'm playing the Linux version and generally is technically fine. I had one crash to desktop, after enough hours of play though.

As for the game itself:
+ The world strategy map works well and research advances at a good pace.
+ Turn based combat is tactical and I think the alien species behave tactically as expected by their description.
+ Xenonaut units can be killed very easily if moving without plan.
+ Breach inside a UFO gets more challenging as the game progresses.
+ Environment is destructible.
On the other hand:
- Ground combat maps are very similar if not the same. They work fine, but I'd like some more variety.
- I think my units tend to miss their targets, more often than "to hit chance" suggests, but maybe it's just my impression while playing or bad luck.
Post edited August 20, 2016 by vanchann
Cavalary: First time or rewatching (possibly due to one more cast member going beyond the rim recently)?
SCPM: First time, it'd been on my to-watch list for a long while. I couldn't find it to stream anywhere, but I did find the first couple seasons and movies for cheap on DVD. I'm into the second season now and enjoying it so far. Though when I did look up what happened to some of the actors on the show like Andreas Katsulas, Michael O'Hare, and Jerry Doyle, it's sad to find out that they had passed away recently and relatively young.
Do enjoy. I'm still pretty much in awe of that series, probably always will be.
Yeah... Quite a list... And there was this made over 3 years ago, up to that point.
Back to watching, The Lurker's Guide is handy.
vanchann: I'll continue my Xenonauts campaign.
narb79: How is Xenonauts? on fence a few times picking that up.

Favorite Space Game and currently playing : Star Wars : Rebellion get past interface and there is a deep game there.
Open-Xcom and maybe some Master of Magic
This is just me but I really like it. I was on the fence too considering some of the reviews but I wasn't disappointed when I did pick it up. I actually prefer playing Xenonauts to X-COM:EU coming to think of it. FYI though, for me, Xenonauts can be a little buggy but it's still an excellent game

Star Wars : Rebellion is on my backlog. It got some pretty harsh reviews back in the day so I haven't been in a hurry to play it. Care to share you're thoughts on it?
Post edited August 20, 2016 by IwubCheeze
Favourite space themed gsme would probably have to be System Shock 2. Although the KOTOR games are pretty high up there.

As for this weekend I picked up Zeus+Posidon during the staff-picks this week becauee I've never really played city building games but I wanted to branch out a little. I'd seen so many good things about it so I'm giving it a try. Three days in and I'm still doing tutorials. I'll probably alternate between this and Alien: Isolation.
Right now I'm playing Axiom Verge (near the end), and I'm not sure what I'm going to play after that.
Zalenthya: the next months
Dude, good luck with that. I mean, months, whoa...!
RogueXanter: This weekend Sengoku and Eye of the Beholder II on my laptop, Mass Effect 3 and maybe some Final Fantasy IX on my PS3. Probably a little Homefront Revolution on my PS4 and Earthbound on my N3DS

Favorite space game is tough since space is my favorite game setting. Tere are so many great ones but I'm going to have to go with tar Trek Bridge Commander. I like starfighter sims but I've always preferred the idea of space capital ship command sims and Bridge Commander is the best I have played.
You're speaking my language with the bolded.
SCPM: First time, it'd been on my to-watch list for a long while. I couldn't find it to stream anywhere, but I did find the first couple seasons and movies for cheap on DVD. I'm into the second season now and enjoying it so far. Though when I did look up what happened to some of the actors on the show like Andreas Katsulas, Michael O'Hare, and Jerry Doyle, it's sad to find out that they had passed away recently and relatively young.
Cavalary: Do enjoy. I'm still pretty much in awe of that series, probably always will be.
Yeah... Quite a list... And there was this made over 3 years ago, up to that point.
Back to watching, The Lurker's Guide is handy.
I'm a huge Babylon 5 fan. Probably my favorite Sci-Fi TV series of all time. I play Babylon 5 wars (tabletop turn based strategy game) once a week actually. Babylon 5 was lower budget than Star Trek TNG (its contemporary) but made up for it with great writing and acting.

On the topic of the thread, my most played space video game is definitely FTL. I probably put at least 100 hours into that game. I've beat the flagship with most of the ships. There are some exceptions like the Engi B. That ship is really hard. Well, FTL isn't an easy game in general, but a couple of the ships are especially challenging.

I really am digging No Man's Sky. Will probably put as many hours into that as FTL eventually, especially if they keep updating it as I feel they will.

Another great space game is KOTOR, as someone else mentioned. Honestly I haven't played a lot of that game in probably 15 years, but keep thinking I should go back to it, or make time for KOTOR2 which I've barely scratched the surface of.

More games than time really. Good problem to have I guess.
mecharma: You _really_ should.

I've "lost" soooo many hours to that game...super good memories!

Treat yourself to a good cup of coffee and fire it up, you'll not regret it :)
Yeah, I think I'll try out the first game first, then 2 just to see them both.
I hope to finish The Incredible Adventures of Van the Final Cut this weekend
Romanul: My favorite space themed game is SPace Empires IV.
Hey, waiter, fetch a beer for this man!