It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

halldojo: Somehow I think you are right...
Using a 3rd party tool is not something I like to do, you have for the most part no idea what they are doing, unless it is script based and you are in the mood to read the code!!
Spot on. Things you HAVE to do because of certain requirements are one thing, things you are forced to do because of, say, something like this is another. And anybody who knows their computing also know that not everybody can go down that road as a user for that's assuming every single user has the will/knowledge/patience.
high rated
Ashleee: This is not true :)

GOG Downloader became an outdated tool and that is not up to the standards we want to keep in terms of user experience, development, and security.

GOG GALAXY remains to be a totally optional client, it's up to you to download your games using a browser or GALAXY.
Forcing people to use either the totally "optional" client where you have to dig down to get to the "Backup" downloads or the website where you have to manually click through loads of links to download that is unreliable for the sizes being downloaded is not a very good [User experince].

Wasting time on developing a client most people came here originally to avoid is not a very good approach to [development] standards, although I admit I understand shutting down old software that has not been updated for years.

Pushing people to perhaps seek out 3rd party options to not have to use the totally "optional" client is the worst thing regarding [security] standards you could have done!!

In the end the gog downloader was removed. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move.
high rated
visconteprimus: But, if this is GOG's actual route, remember my words when all of you will be forced to use Galaxy (and ONLY it) to download your titles.

GOG Downloader became an outdated tool and that is not up to the standards we want to keep in terms of user experience, development, and security.

GOG GALAXY remains to be a totally optional client, it's up to you to download your games using a browser or GALAXY.
That smiley at the end of the first sentence sure says a lot about the way GOG looks at us legacy users. Cheers
low rated
Flyingfluffypiglet: Which I'm well aware of but because I'm not keen in installing a program for an alternative to work, such as the Python based one, I'll stick to keep it simple.
Sounds good.

Flyingfluffypiglet: As far as I'm concerned, cased closed, I'll just end by saying that GOG really ought to listen when it comes to not and EVER force Galaxy as a downloader, not if they really and truly do care about their present and especially of long existing customer base. Here am just a baby in comparison, but there are plenty here who sure helped in making GOG grow into what it is today.
Well said.
Ashleee: GOG Downloader became an outdated tool and that is not up to the standards we want to keep in terms of user experience, development, and security.
GOG Downloader has not received any update the last six years. So, all the above arguments are valid.

If GOG Downloader functionality is implemented into Galaxy, isn't it possible to make available just the downloader part of Galaxy functionality as a new downloader tool, without all the rest undesirable features of the client?

Given the size of the new games' installers, it's very inconvenient to add the required files one by one for download.

GOG Downloader also checked the integrity of the files. With that functionality gone, please consider making integrity hashes available, so that manual checks of the files downloaded through the browser could be possible on the user's side.

Thanks! :-)
low rated
deja65: That smiley at the end of the first sentence sure says a lot about the way GOG looks at us legacy users. Cheers
Would you rather they told people to go sod off?

They're a business, not family......and to most businesses we are first and foremost revenue streams.
Post edited March 17, 2020 by GameRager
deja65: That smiley at the end of the first sentence sure says a lot about the way GOG looks at us legacy users. Cheers
GameRager: Would you rather they told people to go sod off?

They're a business, not family......and to most businesses we are first and foremost revenue streams.
You are correct. But keep in mind that GOG exists because of us that stayed here from the beginning. We came here because GOG offered options that couldn't be found anywhere else like DRM-free gaming, full backup download of our purchases, equal pricing policy. Seeing those go away one by one hurts as hell. And then we also have the totally "optional" Galaxy client that is getting less and less optional right now as we speak. Let's see how long it will take for them to say browsers are obsolete and Galaxy is the only way to go. In the end, GOG as a store will be obsolete and renamed to Steam 2.0, which again is not why we came here in the first place. Hope you understand what i mean.
Post edited March 17, 2020 by deja65
low rated
deja65: You are correct. But keep in mind that GOG exists because of us that stayed here from the beginning. We came here because GOG offered options that couldn't be found anywhere else like DRM-free gaming, full backup download of our purchases, equal pricing policy. Seeing those go away one by one hurts as hell.
Agreed

deja65: And then we also have the totally "optional" Galaxy client that is getting less and less optional right now as we speak. Let's see how long it will take for them to say browsers are obsolete and Galaxy is the only way to go. In the end, GOG as a store will be obsolete and renamed to Steam 2.0, which again is not why we came here in the first place. Hope you understand what i mean.
I get it, but I don't agree/see it as likely to be little more than unfounded worrying(for now/atm, anyways).
high rated
visconteprimus: But, if this is GOG's actual route, remember my words when all of you will be forced to use Galaxy (and ONLY it) to download your titles.

This is not true the same way that you would not disable the GOG Downloader intentionally?

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/is_gog_downloader_still_supported_by_gog_or_are_they_scrapping_it/post3

Welp, what a load of bs. Granted, I was already done with GOG at this point, so I don't need to care anymore. Just used the GOG Downloader one final time during the weekend to save all of my games (of which surprisingly many got new installers (even late 90s, early 00s games)).
Lucumo: Welp, what a load of bs. Granted, I was already done with GOG at this point, so I don't need to care anymore. Just used the GOG Downloader one final time during the weekend to save all of my games (of which surprisingly many got new installers (even late 90s, early 00s games)).
Most of those "new" installers for old games are not adding anything except features for, you guessed it, Galaxy.
GameRager: I get it, but I don't agree/see it as likely to be little more than unfounded worrying(for now/atm, anyways).
I feel like we've had this discussion a zillion times. Anti-consumer practices succeed when implemented gradually over time. By the time you deem it permissible to worry, it'll have been too late to reverse course. Let's be vigilant now and question things that offer negative value to consumers.
Post edited March 17, 2020 by rjbuffchix
chandra: After announcing that we’re ceasing the active development for GOG Downloader 6 years ago, the time has come to disable it. We put a lot of work into making GOG.COM an up-to-date place for gamers. Supporting GOG Downloader, which became an obsolete tool some time ago, simply does not go hand in hand with the goal we mentioned above.

In a week from now, we will deactivate GOG Downloader entirely, and it won’t be possible to download any files with it. As of the 17th of March, there will be two methods of downloading games from GOG.COM – via the browser or with the GOG GALAXY app. For more information on how to download your games and digital goodies go here.
RIP GOG Downloader. It served us well in the GOG precambrian era, may it rest well.

Onward and upward.
high rated
Ashleee: GOG Downloader became an outdated tool and that is not up to the standards we want to keep in terms of user experience, development, and security.
Don't want to kill a dead horse (and it seems it is pretty much dead to you GOG guys) but I have to add that this decision made my (an that of quite a few others) GOG expoerience a lot worse. So at least with this part of your statement I completely disagree (and I and others have already pointed out why that is the case).
Post edited March 17, 2020 by MarkoH01
high rated
That's a nice PR line, a bit more polite than, say, "don't you guys have phones", but I for one don't like someone else deciding what is the best "experience" for me. Now, as I said before, I don't have a horse in this particular race, but I imagine most people upset over losing the downloader would agree with me.

I think a concrete, practical reason for not letting people keep using it would be more appreciated than a vague PR statement.
Post edited March 17, 2020 by Breja
This is bull GOG.
chandra: After announcing that we’re ceasing the active development for GOG Downloader 6 years ago, the time has come to disable it. We put a lot of work into making GOG.COM an up-to-date place for gamers. Supporting GOG Downloader, which became an obsolete tool some time ago, simply does not go hand in hand with the goal we mentioned above.

In a week from now, we will deactivate GOG Downloader entirely, and it won’t be possible to download any files with it. As of the 17th of March, there will be two methods of downloading games from GOG.COM – via the browser or with the GOG GALAXY app. For more information on how to download your games and digital goodies go here.
What's next? you going force customer to download games from GOG GALAXY?
Post edited March 17, 2020 by SuperLibby72
low rated
i said goodbuy to gog a long time ago and you can too, just stop buying games on here.

for about 10 years there's nothing worth to support here anymore, this company is just scamming money of their customers