It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Luckily, Galaxy 2.0 is much better anyway.
Post edited March 11, 2020 by vBDKv
karnak1: When using Galaxy, if you select a game card and you go to the "Extras" option, on the bottom of the page you'll see an option to download the Offline Backup Installers.
I must be doing something wrong. I've downloaded and installed Galaxy. Then I go to "Library / All my games". I change the "View as" to "List". Then I click on a game in the list. I then click on the "More" button, and then select "Backup & goodies". That's the closest thing I can see to an "Extras" option. I click on the game title listed below the "GAME BACKUP COPY" section, which then results in it appearing in the pane on the left (which doesn't seem to have an option to hide or minimize it) and then I get an error message claiming failure due to being out of disk space... which is nonsensical since I'm picking on "Lure of the Temptress" which is a mere 25MB of my 200GB of free space.
high rated
Dreamia: I don't see the problem. They are just trying to simplify the process for new users.
How did they simplify the process by removing an optional method?
vBDKv: Luckily, Galaxy 2.0 is much better anyway.
Oh yes. It is great, unstable, incomplete, buggy, takes ages to load and much more. Should we really praise a client already that is not even finished right now? Then again - no. For downloading offline installers for archiving purposes Galaxy is not much better, it is more complicated since Galaxy does not offer update flags for those and probably never will.
Post edited March 11, 2020 by MarkoH01
karnak1: There already is.
When using Galaxy, if you select a game card and you go to the "Extras" option, on the bottom of the page you'll see an option to download the Offline Backup Installers.
OK, I've got it working now. Galaxy defaults to an invalid download location so I just needed to click on the GOG.com icon at the top of the left-hand pane, then click on "Settings", then click on "Downloads", then click on "Other Downloads Folder", then click on "Custom folder...", then choose a folder (I just chose my Downloads folder), and hey presto, it now works! I assume Galaxy 2.0 will fix this bug.

Edit: grammar.
Post edited March 11, 2020 by agogfan
high rated
Disappointing to see my preferred download option removed. Guess it's either more clicking or learning about this gogrepo thing.
karnak1: When using Galaxy, if you select a game card and you go to the "Extras" option, on the bottom of the page you'll see an option to download the Offline Backup Installers.
agogfan: I must be doing something wrong. I've downloaded and installed Galaxy. Then I go to "Library / All my games". I change the "View as" to "List". Then I click on a game in the list. I then click on the "More" button, and then select "Backup & goodies". That's the closest thing I can see to an "Extras" option. I click on the game title listed below the "GAME BACKUP COPY" section, which then results in it appearing in the pane on the left (which doesn't seem to have an option to hide or minimize it) and then I get an error message claiming failure due to being out of disk space... which is nonsensical since I'm picking on "Lure of the Temptress" which is a mere 25MB of my 200GB of free space.
Hmmm... I suspect that you're probably using "Galaxy 1.0" (the previous version of Galaxy).
Please, see the attached picture to see if the game extras section look like this. If they do not, then it means that you're using an outdated version of Galaxy.

I once used Galaxy 1.0 but I can't remember if it allowed to download offline installers. I remember that it allowed to doenload installers, yes, but they already included the Galaxy installation files. I can't remember if it already allowed 100% offine installers or if that only came with Galaxy 2.0

EDIT: Cool! I see that you managed to fix the issue :)
Attachments:
Post edited March 11, 2020 by karnak1
high rated
Thats terrible news. I dont want to install another client AND I dont want to use Chromes downloading because somehow it manages to be slower than other methods of downloading despite good internet connection. I have no need for GOG Galaxy since I dont play online, dont post screenshots to feed, dont have that many friends, dont need bunch of notifications of someone playing their game and dont like ads. If I wanted that-Id be using Steam client. I play games to enjoy them, not turn them into achievement.
Attachments:
karnak1: Hmmm... I suspect that you're probably using "Galaxy 1.0" (the previous version of Galaxy).
I am using Galaxy 1.0. The installer is named "setup_galaxy_1.2.67.58.exe".

I first tried to install Galaxy 2.0 (GOG_Galaxy_2.0.exe) but the installer just hung so then I noticed the "Beta" wording on the GOG website and assumed I needed to be specifically invited to use the 2.0 version.

And hence I found the "Download GOG Galaxy for Windows" button at the bottom of the main GOG webpage, which results in the Galaxy 1.0 version being installed.
high rated
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/is_gog_downloader_still_supported_by_gog_or_are_they_scrapping_it/post3

;)
Post edited March 11, 2020 by Furyus
high rated
chandra: After announcing that we’re ceasing the active development for GOG Downloader 6 years ago, the time has come to disable it. We put a lot of work into making GOG.COM an up-to-date place for gamers. Supporting GOG Downloader, which became an obsolete tool some time ago, simply does not go hand in hand with the goal we mentioned above.

In a week from now, we will deactivate GOG Downloader entirely, and it won’t be possible to download any files with it. As of the 17th of March, there will be two methods of downloading games from GOG.COM – via the browser or with the GOG GALAXY app. For more information on how to download your games and digital goodies go here.
So you decided to undertake another attempt at forcing Galaxy at more people. Just like with the attempt to bundle Galaxy with the offline installers.

Let me be clear: this is a very, very bad anti-customer decision and I won't be coerced into using Galaxy. I will rather stop to buy games here.

If this isn't supposed to be one more step towards a mandatory Galaxy (and therefore towards DRM), please explain to us the disadvantage of having the Downloader. You ceased to develop it anyhow. So it doesn't cost you anything. If there is any reason to deactivate it apart from pushing Galaxy on unwilling customers, please explain. ... And yes, chandra, this is a request to you. Please do explain this anti-customer measure in your own words, if there even is any reasonable explanation for this move.
karnak1: Hmmm... I suspect that you're probably using "Galaxy 1.0" (the previous version of Galaxy).
agogfan: I am using Galaxy 1.0. The installer is named "setup_galaxy_1.2.67.58.exe".

I first tried to install Galaxy 2.0 (GOG_Galaxy_2.0.exe) but the installer just hung so then I noticed the "Beta" wording on the GOG website and assumed I needed to be specifically invited to use the 2.0 version.

And hence I found the "Download GOG Galaxy for Windows" button at the bottom of the main GOG webpage, which results in the Galaxy 1.0 version being installed.
In case you may want to install Galaxy 2.0,it's now available for everyone. But I think it's only available for Win10 because of official software support issues (although I may be wrong in that).
high rated
Lifthrasil: If this isn't supposed to be one more step towards a mandatory Galaxy (and therefore towards DRM), please explain to us the disadvantage of having the Downloader. You ceased to develop it anyhow. So it doesn't cost you anything.
Yep. On a purely personal level I could not care less since I don't use it, or any other "downloader", and I don't see the need. At the same time I don't really see what the point of removing the option altogether is.

As a sidenote - this is important news to some users. Possibly quite a few users. I don't think GOG's preferred way of delivering important news - an unmarked forum thread - is really the best way to go. Then again the way the site is designed with quickly rotating news at the bottom where no one looks, there migh just not be a good way at all. So, uhm, what I'm getting at is FIX THE WEBSITE, BRING BACK VISABLE NEWS AND FREAKING USE THEM.
I still used the GOG Downloader to novify mean when any of my games get updates (not just ones I have installed) so can you please at least make it so I can sort my games by last updated so I don't miss any game updates? I really don't want to be forced to use GOG Galaxy just to be notified of game updates and I don't want to use any launcher for any reason if I don't have to and the only reason I have been using GOG Galaxy up until now was to download offline installers that the GOG Downloader wasn't able to like the Linux installers.
karnak1: In case you may want to install Galaxy 2.0,it's now available for everyone. But I think it's only available for Win10 because of official software support issues (although I may be wrong in that).
I am running Windows 7 for this test. If I start the Galaxy 2.0 installer, I get a pop-up window that says "Waiting for installation to start...". Then the window disappears and nothing further happens. If I try to then run the installer again, I get a message saying that another GOG Galaxy installer is already running... but I then left it running for more than half an hour and still no progress with the installation.

When I get time to play with a Windows 10 install, I'll try the Galaxy 2.0 test again. Otherwise maybe GOG has some Galaxy gremlins at play on their side at the moment???

Thanks for your help though. Certainly got me having a closer look at Galaxy than I'd originally intended.
chandra: After announcing that we’re ceasing the active development for GOG Downloader 6 years ago, the time has come to disable it. We put a lot of work into making GOG.COM an up-to-date place for gamers. Supporting GOG Downloader, which became an obsolete tool some time ago, simply does not go hand in hand with the goal we mentioned above.

In a week from now, we will deactivate GOG Downloader entirely, and it won’t be possible to download any files with it. As of the 17th of March, there will be two methods of downloading games from GOG.COM – via the browser or with the GOG GALAXY app. For more information on how to download your games and digital goodies go here.
Lifthrasil: So you decided to undertake another attempt at forcing Galaxy at more people. Just like with the attempt to bundle Galaxy with the offline installers.

Let me be clear: this is a very, very bad anti-customer decision and I won't be coerced into using Galaxy. I will rather stop to buy games here.

If this isn't supposed to be one more step towards a mandatory Galaxy (and therefore towards DRM), please explain to us the disadvantage of having the Downloader. You ceased to develop it anyhow. So it doesn't cost you anything. If there is any reason to deactivate it apart from pushing Galaxy on unwilling customers, please explain. ... And yes, chandra, this is a request to you. Please do explain this anti-customer measure in your own words, if there even is any reasonable explanation for this move.
You know deep down inside that you wont get an answer man, its just safer to just ditch GOG now and be done with it. We are heading to DRM, its only a matter of time.