It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're done! For now...

The Q&A is finished! Thanks everyone for joining in, being great, hanging out, and a huge thanks to the awesome team behind Victor Vran.

There have been fantastic questions, in-depth answers, and some great news as well! There's plenty to take in - if you missed the main event, read up a sample below or just see the full thread. Stay tuned for more Developer Q&As in the future!

JustMaku: Why’d you call the game Victor Vran? Is there significance behind the name? (Unless that’s a major spoiler.)

"Hmmm… There are several different answers, all of them containing a snippet of truth. We loved the sound of the name, we were gloating about the idea how the English-speaking voice actors and players would try to say it, Victor is meant to be victorious, Vran means several things in several different languages that we all wanted to add to the background of the character… The rest is spoilers, my good chap!"

Selsius: Can we expect more weapons (greatswords, fist weapons)? I know one DLC with a spell book is coming.

"We definitely want to bring more weapons to Victor Vran and we have many ideas. The Tome (a spell caster type weapon) will be the first addition to Victor Vran's arsenal. The expansion will also add new weapons, but we will talk about them a bit further down the line. But we also want to hear what weapons and play styles you, the players, want to see in Victor Vran.”

stubbie: Any plans to implement a hardcore difficulty setting?

“We have "hard" mode already, in which you have all 5 Hexes turned on from the start of the game. Also, all monsters are slightly, sadistically stronger than their 5-Hex-versions. Of course, we aren't heartless and we allowed you to accept defeat by manually deactivating the hardcore mode for your character PERMANENTLY.
And if you don't feel challenged enough, we have an achievement to complete the story without dying even once. Do this in hardcore mode, please.”

gunshellmav: Would you say there are any books or stories that influenced the development of this game? If so, what are they?

“Too many. Not only books and stories, but also movies and TV series. Also, poetry. Lots of it. Examples include "Supernatural", classics like Bram Stoker's "Dracula", things like Batman - and then enter Yeats and Poe, even a bit of Nietzsche. As you can see, it's all over the place. So were we!”

Our guests:

BOYAN (Lead Designer, BoyanD): “My love for games got me into game journalism and later I co-wrote the second Bulgarian tabletop roleplaying systems.”
-- Worked mainly on combat, monster design and bosses for Victor Vran
-- Also worked on the Tropico series, Omerta, The First Templar & more
-- He’s a huge fan of Guild Wars, board games, and card games

MOMCHIL (Designer, uncle_quenchy): “I create content that would make the average gamer cry in frustration and throw his PC out of the window”
-- Loves his job in game design
-- One of his favorite games is Bad Rats. Least favorite is sports.
Post edited July 27, 2015 by Konrad
ZFR: Are the questions still open?

Who would win in a fight between Victor and Geralt?
uncle_quenchy: Actually, we thought about releasing a free DLC about it, but why bother about a fight that has no challenge and lasts only a couple of seconds?
#shotsfired :P
high rated
Once again, thank you all, people! If you have more questions, feel free to ask them. We will be keeping an eye on the thread! Cheers!
Have a good night, guys. Thank you again, as well as thanks to GOG staff staying up late.

And now, back to watching a demon mask like a hawk while spiders try to eat my face.
Just remembered one thing. How do you activate hexes in game - I have five in my inventory at the moment.

And good night again.
Post edited July 28, 2015 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Just remembered one thing. How do you activate hexes in game - I have five in my inventory at the moment.

And good night again.
right click ;-)
Matruchus: Just remembered one thing. How do you activate hexes in game - I have five in my inventory at the moment.

And good night again.
You get them as level-up unlock. Then, you can either activate them from the map interface for each map or from the inventory. Night night!
uncle_quenchy: Actually, we thought about releasing a free DLC about it, but why bother about a fight that has no challenge and lasts only a couple of seconds?
That's what she said...

And good night again.
stubbie: right click ;-)
Thx, I feel stupid now :)
Thanks for the answers BOYAN and MOMCHIL, and thanks to GOG for hosting. We need more of those.
Thank you for your answers and your straightforward attitude. I enjoyed reading this thread,

I am also very pleased to hear that you have rethought the exclusive GOG key and will be offering it without the need for online activation. It's a pity you cannot do the same for treasure hunts, but I expect it's too late to change that now.
Post edited July 28, 2015 by mrkgnao
Sadly I found this thread too late. My question would have been how well the game runs on a PC with exactly 4GB ram.
Maxvorstadt: Sadly I found this thread too late. My question would have been how well the game runs on a PC with exactly 4GB ram.
Runs fine. 4 GB or RAM is plenty for almost any game out there - possibly excepting brand new AAA new hotness that comes out and doesn't f'n work *cough *Arkham Knight*

My specs are solidly midrange: 3 GHz Quad-Core AMD, Radeon HD 7950, 4 GB RAM. The ram is honestly the least important factor in that equation. On my setup, VV runs flawlessly - rock-solid 60 FPS, no dips, no stutters. Replace my quad-core CPU with a dual-core, or my Radeon 7950 with a Radeon 4850? That's going to impact performance a LOT more than only having 4 GB of RAM. They say RAM is the cheapest upgrade you can do, and that's true, but it's also the most inconsequential.
Matruchus: Will the free dlc mentioned on Steam be available for the gog version too?

Quote:"

- The free Tome of Souls DLC will introduce a brand new weapon type that unlocks new active abilities and a spellcaster playstyle. Of course, there will be legendary tomes of forbidden words and endless power, such as The Nekonomicon and Fifty Shades of Slay.
- The free Highlander Outfit DLC will open even more character build options and an exciting new look for the title character.
- The free Cauldron of Chaos DLC will add a huge new map which will offer a randomized layout, encounters and daily challenges."

Also will it be available as a simple dlc or will it include online activation drm as with the booster pack?

Is there a chance for a save feature to be implemented on the maps since sometimes its a problem to finish in limited time you have and then you have to restart it again.

Otherwise I must congratulate you on a very good game :)
BoyanD:
Scorpionscythe: I would like to know how DLC will be handled after the mixed reaction in the community towards the 'Treasure Key'. Will DLC's need to be activated through the servers or will they be provided as a separate download or patch. (That is assuming GOG is getting the free DLC just like Steam in the first place!)
BoyanD: The DLCs will be available on GoG as a separate download. They shouldn’t require online activation.

Also I have a bit of good news we will change how the GIFT-OF-GEAR is obtained with the next big update. It will drop when you enter the Hub without any need to connect to our online servers.
This is really good news. Between this, the Gift of Gear being available offline and the coming update for local co-op, I'm reconsidering my decision to not get this game.

uncle_quenchy: Never imagined I could be obnoxious for 5 hours straight and people would actually thank me for that! Awesome people to communicate with! 10/10 would do it again!
Ciris: It was a blast having you here, and definitely a sign that the community is interested in the devs' side of things - I'll try to do more similar events, so those that hung out with us, stay tuned! ;)

Thanks for being so awesome and hanging out answering our dudes' and dudettes' questions!
Yeah, events like these are great even for people who can't participate. Hearing about the game straight from the horses' mouths helps straighten out a lot of questions.
Post edited July 28, 2015 by Gilozard
Hello, guys. I wanted to ask you about the bulgarian language pack. I cannot seem to find it. I want to play this game in the mother language.
whystler2012: Hello!

Could you briefly outline key differences between this game, and other ARPG's like Torchlight 2, Diablo 3 and Van Helsing? What makes this game unique?
uncle_quenchy: First of all, we are cooler. Play the game 100 hours, prove me wrong.
Then, we have this jumping. One could say, "how good is it?" I'd tell that man - "sir, it makes you over 9000% better" Jump-smash your enemies to knock them back and voila - now your super-slow weapon becomes way more viable. Being chased by 200 enemies? Jump from the opposite wall and over their heads, then turn around and give them hell. You're annoyed for not being able to reach the bottom of that first Diablo 3 dungeon? Well, jump right there. Voila. Now your gameplay had become twice less annoying.

Then, this kind of combat that depends on reflexes and quick thinking. Words fail to describe the things you can do relying only on your skills as we managed to maximize their role in the game instead of relying purely on simple-minded gear checks. You don't have good weapons to kill that nasty, tough enemy - well, fear not, just dodge around him and deliver the right-timed attacks into it until it drops.

Speaking of which, the way our attacks work means that we want you to actually play your character instead of spamming those buttons. For example, the shotgun. Many players who didn't notice its mechanics say that it's gimped. But no, my good sir, no. Timing the rhythm of your attacks will make you deliver critical strikes every time. Killing an enemy with a shotgun resets the cooldown of your best shot skill and with the right timing you can make all enemies around you vulnerable and open for the inevitable death. It's all based on skill. But if you manage to do it, you will feel like a Grammaton cleric from Equilibrium.

All of this allows us to drop the class system. "Nooooo, I want my Barbarian! And my Paladin!". Fear not, dear player, you can have them. You can create almost any type of class using our flexible build system, consisting of weapons, outfit, demon powers and destiny cards. Yes, you can create that Barbarian/Paladin mix you always wanted. You can make a masked vigilante to bring divine justice to the evil-doers or be the gentleman who doesn't want to stain his suit with the blood of his enemies, vaporizing them with horrific demon powers.
This is easily the best review of the game I have ever read :)

I enjoyed The Last Templar, I didnt realise that you made that game, this impresses me enough to try Tropico (not my favourite game type, but I trust you guys!). :)

My Question : Will there ever be an opportunity to play levels as NPCs with different skill sets (yes I know its called VV for a reason), if not, will the game ever be moddable to enable modders to implement something like this (eg the different classes modders made for Torchlight).

Thanks for a wonderful game and giving us the chance to interrog....chat with you :)
Post edited July 31, 2015 by Shadowflight