It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We would like to inform you that, due to our storage and CDN provider's outage, we are encountering technical issues that may cause difficulties in downloading and updating your games both through the GOG GALAXY client and GOG Store. Already downloaded files are in no way affected.

We are trying to mitigate this external problem by switching to our secondary storage while our provider is restoring data. We would also like to highlight that those issues do not affect purchasing games. Currently available discounts on selected titles will not be extended due to the above.

It is our team's top priority to resolve those issues and we aim to resolve them as fast as possible. Apologies for any inconveniences caused.
Syphon72: You got reply back on a weekend? Is the world coming end soon? jk
Technically, it's very early Monday morning in Europe. ;-)
I figure this likely won't get fixed till either Monday or Tuesday. Not GoG's fault, just the nature of the issue.

GoG doesn't own the CDN and while they are trying to get a secondary server going, that takes time as well. And the CDN will likely be on a skeleton crew over the weekend.

Steam might have like 5 CDN servers, but GoG isn't as big as they are and have near the resources to afford that. Hopefully if it can get bigger that might be a future thing, but we aren't there yet.

Just be patient guys, no need for anyone to get too upset. I remember during my old WoW days you could see people pure losing their minds over the servers being down for longer than they were expecting for planned outages let alone how much they could lose it when the servers crashed and stayed down for a bit unintentionally.
high rated
For those of you confused by the persisting failures, despite the optimistic update post from GOG and the disappearance of the warning banner, here is what I consider to be an honest update:

- TLDR: 10-11% failure rate; no noticeably significant improvement since the outage began; zero change in the last 24 hours
- AFAIK, the current GOG storage outage began on Thursday, 20 July 2023
- If using offline installers, the outage causes some file downloads (not all) to fail with a 404 error
- If using galaxy, I am told the outage causes some game installations (not all) to fail (either immediately, or often after 90-92%)
- It doesn't really matter to report here which files fail; the list is very long and may change over time, platform, and perhaps location
- Overall, there hasn't been any noticeably significant improvement in the scope of the outage since its beginning, more than three days ago, at least not outside galaxy (but some games do get better, and some do get worse)
- However, if you're only interested in a specific failing game, you might want to try it again from time to time; you could get lucky
- To give you a sense of the magnitude of the problem, I have tested just now all 10,222 files in my GOG library (I do not use galaxy)
- Of the 10,222 files in my library, 1,051 completely fail to download (404 error) --- a 10% failure rate
- If you'd rather count uninstallable games, of my 2,138 games, 236 have one or more installer files failing --- an 11% failure rate
- Additionally, 482 files in my library are currently missing their GOG API MD5 data (likely not an issue for most of you)
- Hope this helps clear things up a bit
- Expect another update tomorrow
Post edited July 24, 2023 by mrkgnao
Fuguss: Just be patient guys, no need for anyone to get too upset. I remember during my old WoW days you could see people pure losing their minds over the servers being down for longer than they were expecting for planned outages let alone how much they could lose it when the servers crashed and stayed down for a bit unintentionally.
I have friend raging over WOW going down for a day. lol
xNordicAx: Skyrim Special Edition 404 - Not Found
I has been moved from the server to my HDD, so it is gone there...
I mean, when i move from this location to another location, obviously i will be on the new location. We have to be realistic, even the data is nowadays using human AI and will behave properly according to physical rules.
Fabled Lands - Lords of the Rising Sun still has 404 error for offline downloading
Sightlessseer: Fabled Lands - Lords of the Rising Sun still has 404 error for offline downloading
There's really no need to report here individual games and files. There are currently more than 1,000 known failing files.
Post edited July 24, 2023 by mrkgnao
Sightlessseer: Fabled Lands - Lords of the Rising Sun still has 404 error for offline downloading
mrkgnao: There's really no need to report here individual games and files. There are currently more than 1,000 known failing files.
It is better to report your library alone. You shoukd be chosen for trackings of any kind. Objective and honest

EDIT: sorry I wanted to be sarcastic
Post edited July 24, 2023 by Gudadantza
GOG.com: We would like to inform you that, due to our storage and CDN provider's outage, we are encountering technical issues that may cause difficulties in downloading and updating your games both through the GOG GALAXY client and GOG Store. Already downloaded files are in no way affected.

We are trying to mitigate this external problem by switching to our secondary storage while our provider is restoring data. We would also like to highlight that those issues do not affect purchasing games. Currently available discounts on selected titles will not be extended due to the above.

It is our team's top priority to resolve those issues and we aim to resolve them as fast as possible. Apologies for any inconveniences caused.
that is why my game would not install after i bought them! i thought it was just messed up and refunded the game! dang, well i will be rebuying both games and waiting for this to be fixed!
Caban: If it's truck delivering goods to the store that had accident on its way it's hard to blame the store, even if final result is empty shelves when you go shopping.
One big difference between GOG and a grocery store: grocery stores don't guarantee to always
have their product always available like GOG (essentially) does with it's Offline Installers.

------

Megabyte: IF people bought a game and expected to play it NOW, I expect they certainly did! Its not like we are in summer sale territory right now... I expect a LOT of sales are to be played fairly immediately.
I wouldn't be so certain. Data gathered by various sources showed long ago that a good chunk of Steam gamers bought way more games (including from sales) than they ever played, and from reading other user's forum posts on the topic(backlogs/etc) i'm guessing that a good number of GOG gamers likely do the same.
Post edited July 24, 2023 by GamezRanker
Enebias: Either they tell me the host was destroyed by an accident, say an explosion or fire, or they didn't bother to check the stability of their protocols, which is just as bad a fail as the host itself.
This is a business, the minimum it can do is controlling the security of its products and manage backup/emergency plans.
What the "backup/emergency plan" is depends completely on what the actual root cause is.

If it is merely data vanishing or getting corrupt, yeah then it might be about just bringing the backups from last night (ALBEIT, in GOG's case, there's quite a lot of data to recover... I know from experience that with a normal backup system, recovering a 100GB server from daily backups can take several hours; I don't want to think how long it would take to recover dozens of terabytes of data or how big the GOG library currently is).

If it is a cyber attack, then it can get quite complicated as they try to figure out how long ago the attackers got into the system and installed malware, which just got triggered and activated later. I've been in a similar situation myself and it took many many days to recover back a couple dozen servers from untainted backups (the first recovered servers were tainted and became unusable a bit later). Or alternatively, you need to install fresh servers to make sure they are untainted, and migrate the data to them.

Also it may be the officials are involved and want an access to server, to see how widespread the problem is (ie. could it have spread elsewhere too), whether country's data security laws were followed or not, and possibly try to find out who the attackers were).

Some have suggested that there should be a high-availability system where you just switch to a different set of servers or database, but maybe those were tainted too. Also, setting up redundancy systems also for servers and data (not merely for data connections) can cost a lot of money, it is not free nor cheap. It is a pipedream that most businesses would use such 100% high-availability systems for even for their critical servers. If things go south, they hope (and expect) that they could get the systems back up from last night's fresh backups, instead of keeping a redundant set of servers running 24/7 when they might not be needed ever.

If GOG was a bank, then maybe.
Post edited July 24, 2023 by timppu
Syphon72: Maybe GOG should give away Cyberpunk 2077 for taking so long. Not joking
I'd rather have Jack Keane
GamezRanker: One big difference between GOG and a grocery store: grocery stores don't guarantee to always
have their product always available like GOG (essentially) does with it's Offline Installers.
Where does GOG make such a promise? I don't think GOG has ever promised that there can't be downtimes in serious cases (like this appears to be), or that the whole company might (=will) stop its operations at some point permanently. Just look at e.g. DotEmu or Desura, good luck trying to download your old purchases from them anymore.
GamezRanker: One big difference between GOG and a grocery store: grocery stores don't guarantee to always
And if you have your game installed or you have downloaded your offline installer then you do have guaranteed access to it.

If you don't have it yet, then you will have to wait till it is back up and running. Just like if you already picked up your groceries, you still have it even if the store ran out of stock.

I am waiting myself because I reformatted my PC and didn't have my stuff backed up. I am not blaming GoG for it, these things happen and it was beyond their control.

And when it comes to a CDN and you are going though massive amounts of data per month, that can amount to thousands of dollars. Let alone purchasing multiple CDNs for the redundancy.

Not like GoG can start hosting torrents of them.
Post edited July 24, 2023 by Fuguss
Fuguss: Not like GoG can start hosting torrents of them.
I MEAN, PEOPLE DO THAT ALREADY, WHAT WOULD THE SKIN OFF THEIR HYPOTHETICAL BACKS BE TO DIP INTO THE SAME WELL THAT STEALS FROM THEM?