It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

richlind33: So the permanent members of the UN Security Council, plus Germany and Israel, are the major arms proliferators, which means there will be no significant improvement re international peace and security until this bloodthirsty business is shut down; even worse, however, are the implications re climate change, because nothing is more environmentally destructive than war.
HK and IMI need their weapons sold, yes, but those small arms have big price, so they are unlikely to find themselves in the hands of ISIS, compared to - say, old soviet AKs, smuggled by Moglievich. But I understand where you come from, a large military industry is likely to seek/lobby to ignite conflicts in order to offer its "solutions"... Its like a new "market" to them :(

Btw, Mogilevich has an interesting biography, bright example of people that came to real power thanks to Gorbachev and prospered under Yeltsin.

Edit: At some point WK biography of Mogilevich mentions "Menatep" bank. Guess who is the owner?
Post edited September 28, 2017 by Lin545
richlind33: even worse, however, are the implications re climate change, because nothing is more environmentally destructive than war.
F4LL0UT: I call bullshit on that. Industries and urbanisation do a lot more direct harm to the environment than any combat besides maybe nuclear war (and even then it really depends on the scale). And as for climate change, the main culprit is still most definitely greenhouse gases and war is hardly going to give the global greenhouse gas emissions a significant push.
I call bullshit on your bullshit. War industry is huge and unregulated, and consumes vast quantities of fossil fuels annually. Look at the most polluted sites in the world and with few exceptions they are military facilities. And bombs and other weapons do indeed entail the release of carbon emissions, Iraq being a horrific case in point.
tinyE: you're seriously going to argue with those two? XD
Good to see you're doing your part to make this a better forum, tiny. o.O
Post edited September 28, 2017 by richlind33
Thank you.

I try. :D
tinyE: you're seriously going to argue with those two? XD
F4LL0UT: Not seriously.
Coward. XD
richlind33: So the permanent members of the UN Security Council, plus Germany and Israel, are the major arms proliferators, which means there will be no significant improvement re international peace and security until this bloodthirsty business is shut down; even worse, however, are the implications re climate change, because nothing is more environmentally destructive than war.
Lin545: HK and IMI need their weapons sold, yes, but those small arms have big price, so they are unlikely to find themselves in the hands of ISIS, compared to - say, old soviet AKs, smuggled by Moglievich. But I understand where you come from, a large military industry is likely to seek/lobby to ignite conflicts in order to offer its "solutions"... Its like a new "market" to them :(

Btw, Mogilevich has an interesting biography, bright example of people that came to real power thanks to Gorbachev and prospered under Yeltsin.

Edit: At some point WK biography of Mogilevich mentions "Menatep" bank. Guess who is the owner?
In the US the profits are as good as the drug trade, and, there is considerable overlap, as I'm sure you know,
This thread has outlived it's usefulness, if it ever had any, and has become little more than people flinging shit at each other.

If I thought there were any Blues left I'd ask one to close it.
low rated
F4LL0UT: Ehem, 52% of people voted for a change that will affect everyone. You better expect fierce opposition when 48% of people voted against a radical change that will change their lives against their will.
What about the referendum in my place, then? On which, 64% voted "NO to negotiations with Europe", yet the government, turned it into YES? Where is the lie or the mistake on my part, when i say "Europe does not respect referendum results lately"? Same old; people vote for something, then the elite (or even the local gov in question, in power) are struggling to enforce something else, all the while dressing it as "good for the people, who don't know what is best for them". Where is the "people's will", "people's vote", where is "democratic rights", then? Majority is still majority, for a reason... But you see, lately, european officials throw a "populist" in your face and think they've dealt with you. No, this is oppression, people; as well as threatening the very same democracy/rights, which you so passionately shout about supposedly serving.

I didn't expect any different (or any better), even if the place in question is not yet officially European ground. And don't forget, "Russians are evil", just because Europeans, tabloid-level press and "union" bosses decided so. Nope, sorry, we are not that dumb.

Just out of curiosity; what next? Threatening people directly (openly for famine and war), because of their referendum choices/results, like Turkey and Iran recently did against the Kurds? Turkey also seems to be about to become European ground, sooner than Ukraine, too; figures, makes sense...

Or demanding/extorting ransom to let them go, like those billions from Brits? I thought you were against "piracy"..?

And what about the referendum in Spain? Will you be pro it being cancelled, too?

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”
― Sigmund Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents
Post edited September 28, 2017 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Klumpen0815: So, was there a nation wide voting at any point? Did both sides respect the result?
I see that someone has reported my answer to Klumpen to Fables, who deleted the post but did not give me indication of where my post have breached the GOG's TOC...

Thus I can give this short answer to Klumpen,.. the govt that currently resides in west ukraine part is absolutely not interested in peace. Poroshenko has Facebook account and wikipedia entry, you can reach out there and see what's cheered and which political pole his cabinet of ministers belongs to.

Edit: Two ukrainian citizens, that have organized discussion tables between conflicting parties of west and east, have been sentenced to NINE years PRISON for helping east ukraine (dpr/lpr) setup youtube account and writing news about conflict.
Post edited September 29, 2017 by Lin545
Klumpen0815: So, was there a nation wide voting at any point? Did both sides respect the result?
Lin545: I see that someone has reported my answer to Klumpen to Fables, who deleted the post but did not give me indication of where my post have breached the GOG's TOC...
Your post was deleted not by a moderator.
Moderator gives a warning in PM, when deletes your post.

If you don't like something, you can delete other people's posts too, provided you know how to program and have a bunch of bot accounts.

GOG unofficially allows such nefarious activity (at least they did nothing to prevent it).
vsr: Your post was deleted not by a moderator.
I was contacted by Fables and received warning, however without given reason, so it makes it difficult for me to avoid this in the future and understand the point, and absence of posts doesn't help either.
low rated
vsr: Your post was deleted not by a moderator.
Lin545: I was contacted by Fables and received warning, however without given reason, so it makes it difficult for me to avoid this in the future and understand the point, and absence of posts doesn't help either.
Ah, i see. I thought you weren't PM'd by a mod.

edit: i agree that moderator should provide a forum rule's number, that you broke.
Until then mod just tries to please forum cry-babies, which PM him non-stop.
Post edited September 29, 2017 by vsr
Lin545: I was contacted by Fables and received warning, however without given reason, so it makes it difficult for me to avoid this in the future and understand the point, and absence of posts doesn't help either.
vsr: Ah, i see. I thought you weren't PM'd by a mod.

edit: i agree that moderator should provide a forum rule's number, that you broke.
Fables is a "her".
vsr: Ah, i see. I thought you weren't PM'd by a mod.

Agreed, moderators should always have the number or the broken rule handy and give it out, regardless whether they won't discuss it, like any policeman should be able to do too.
That's what rule-books are for, no?
vsr: snip
tinyE: Fables is a "her".
Fables is a female ?

oh okay. Even though her avatar is that of a man.
tinyE: Fables is a "her".
SamMagel: Fables is a female ?

oh okay. Even though her avatar is that of a man.
So, mine is of a god. You don't really think I'm one of those, do you? :P

Wait shit, I forgot I wasn't using my Cthulhu avatar anymore. :P
Post edited September 29, 2017 by tinyE