It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Extended support for our expanding catalog of Linux games

A happy day for all worshipers of the mighty penguin! Ubuntu 16.04 LTS has been released and is fully supported by GOG.com, making your Linux gaming experience smoother and more stable than ever before.

Alongside the 16.04 release GOG.com will of course continue to support 14.04, although we suggest keeping your system updated to minimize the risk of running into any issues. Our support also extends to any future non-LTS releases, official Ubuntu flavors (like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.), and derivatives (e.g. Linux Mint, elementaryOS etc.), so as long as your operating system is part of the Ubuntu family, you have nothing to worry about. Naturally, our technical support and refund policy apply to all these versions.

Our brave QA team has been tirelessly testing the games in our Linux catalog and we're happy to report that nearly all of them are already fully compatible with Ubuntu 16.04. The very few temperamental ones are getting fixed soon, so keep an eye out for patches.

AMD Radeon users should remember that the fglrx driver is removed from this release and they should use the opensource driver that is included in 16.04 by default. Read more about it <span class="bold">here</span>.

If you find yourself in need of technical support or more details regarding Linux matters, head to this <span class="bold">FAQ</span>. All the information in it will be updated soon.

Happy upgrades!
Matruchus: Great news but it would be better if you brought the missing native Linux versions for Metro, Dying Light and other AAA titles. This is where you are most lacking.
linuxvangog: It's not that we don't want to have them, it's that sometimes it's just beyond our capabilities.
Is it caused by publishers ignoring GOG, or there are other reasons?

hummer010: I really do love the rolling release. Sure things break sometimes, but there's no waiting for the next "big thing". Arch is generally pretty quick picking up new versions of stuff, and also pretty quick fixing stufff when it does break.
That's why I use Debian testing. It's semi-rolling and at the same time polished enough. I wish they'd work more on reducing the freeze time though, then it would be truly rolling. It got better the last time, but it was still pretty long.
Post edited April 22, 2016 by shmerl
Awesome! Thank you GOG!
hummer010: Generic Linux support is tough to commit to. I don't mind them supporting Ubuntu and Mint. Odds are good, if it works on Ubuntu and Mint, it will work on Debian.

They've always been pretty distro-agnostic. Initially with tarballs, and now with the installer. Definitely better than just providing .deb's.
I would just like to see them support more upstream and move up to Debian. That way it at least becomes "supports Debian and all Debian derivatives" which would even include SteamOS.
AnxiousInfusion: I would just like to see them support more upstream and move up to Debian. That way it at least becomes "supports Debian and all Debian derivatives" which would even include SteamOS.
+1.
hummer010: Generic Linux support is tough to commit to. I don't mind them supporting Ubuntu and Mint. Odds are good, if it works on Ubuntu and Mint, it will work on Debian.

They've always been pretty distro-agnostic. Initially with tarballs, and now with the installer. Definitely better than just providing .deb's.
AnxiousInfusion: I would just like to see them support more upstream and move up to Debian. That way it at least becomes "supports Debian and all Debian derivatives" which would even include SteamOS.
*Personally*speaking, I would much rather have us do Arch (and Arch accessories :P) support...

Call it "trial by fire" support: before you can play your games you must install Arch the PURE way, no exceptions :D

(Again, this is just a joke :D)
Nepenthes: I know JudasIscariot will disagree,
You know me too well :P

Well, I just cannot into Unity for some reason, I prefer as minimal of a desktop environment that simply stays out of my way and lets me find things when I need to without unnecessary clutter (my Windows 10 work desktop notwithstanding, I know it's a mess but it's a mess on purpose :P )
Post edited April 23, 2016 by JudasIscariot
Can someone explain the reasoning for the classification of "Ubuntu" in place of "Debian" for the family of OSes mentioned?

Is there something Canonical-specific to OSes like "Mint" that would class it as "Ubuntu" family over "Debian" family?

Added to this; does it mean that (whatever this Canonical-specific inclusion is) this then excludes other Debian distros that are not covered by it and, hence, the "Ubuntu family"-specific tag?

For standard home use, an aesthetically professional-looking Linux Mint Cinnamon + a KDE-styled net-book "Search & Launch" desktop and the ability to play optimised accelerated x64 games would depreciate Win* almost completely for me.

*As far as MS OSes go, I use WinXP Pro x86 and x64 [Server 2003], Win7 Ultimate x64 and Win10 Pro x64.
Following the era of Win98 Second Edition, these are the ONLY general purpose MS OSes worth even attempting to use, despite the fact ALL mentioned are missing positive features found in at least one of the others, while the amount of included data-harvesting maliciousness increases with each successive MS OS release.
The only thing truly keeping me from attempting to go full-Linux/Unix is the current lack of gaming support.
Post edited April 23, 2016 by d3v14n7
JudasIscariot: Well, I just cannot into Unity for some reason
Unity (and Ubuntu in result) will also diverge from the rest of the Linux world because they'll be using Mir, while everyone else will be switching to Wayland. It will pretty much isolate Ubuntu. That rift is on deep enough level to cause a lot of issues that developers will have to deal with. I think Canonical are making a big disservice to Linux by pushing Mir.

I expect also Ubuntu usage to drop because of their Mir switch.
Keep being awesome gog!

Any word on The Witcher 3's Mac/Linux port? :-)
JudasIscariot: *Personally*speaking, I would much rather have us do Arch (and Arch accessories :P) support...

Call it "trial by fire" support: before you can play your games you must install Arch the PURE way, no exceptions :D

(Again, this is just a joke :D)
Nepenthes: I know JudasIscariot will disagree,
JudasIscariot: You know me too well :P

Well, I just cannot into Unity for some reason, I prefer as minimal of a desktop environment that simply stays out of my way and lets me find things when I need to without unnecessary clutter (my Windows 10 work desktop notwithstanding, I know it's a mess but it's a mess on purpose :P )
Maybe I'm just crazy, but I find myself leaning more and more towards OpenBox -- yes, it's a bit more work getting the setup you want, but there's absolutely no unnecessary eye candy, if you don't want it! :-)
high rated
JudasIscariot: Well, I just cannot into Unity for some reason
shmerl: Unity (and Ubuntu in result) will also diverge from the rest of the Linux world because they'll be using Mir, while everyone else will be switching to Wayland. It will pretty much isolate Ubuntu. That rift is on deep enough level to cause a lot of issues that developers will have to deal with. I think Canonical are making a big disservice to Linux by pushing Mir.

I expect also Ubuntu usage to drop because of their Mir switch.
Don't forget that Mir and Wayland requirements are incredibly close (better EGL support), and the same goes for their paradigms. So close that they usually get supported at the same time by drivers (think NVIDIA proprietary driver, Intel driver before Mir support was removed).

In the end, I'm not too worried about fragmentation of Linux ecosystems, since most games will rely on SDL 2, and many already do. SDL 2 has Xserver, Wayland, Mir and many other backends...

I am optimistic. Beyond the modern display server, Ubuntu will remain a Linux distro at its core for the foreseeable future, the kernel, utilities, drivers, directories layout... will remain just the same, until someone decides to change it.
Some distributions already diverge from the majority of distros out there in a radical manner (different init systems, different packages handling or lack thereof, different ways to support multiple architectures...), and this is still not a big deal.

I expect Ubuntu to offer good legacy options for some time after Mir becomes default, and we all know they don't rush radical changes. Besides this, they have experience with a wide range of flavours and a massive community already.

I will not assume anything about any drop of Ubuntu use, and subsequent impact on Linux in general.
I'm just curious about what happens next, and I can guarantee that we, at GOG, will keep offering an enthusiastic support for this operating system.
d3v14n7: Can someone explain the reasoning for the classification of "Ubuntu" in place of "Debian" for the family of OSes mentioned?

Is there something Canonical-specific to OSes like "Mint" that would class it as "Ubuntu" family over "Debian" family?
The fact that Mint is a direct Ubuntu derivative. Ubuntu itself derives from Debian.
More options are always welcome. Thank you, GOG Team! ^_^
This is good news. I look forward for more Linux games and programs. :D
blakstar: Maybe I'm just crazy, but I find myself leaning more and more towards OpenBox -- yes, it's a bit more work getting the setup you want, but there's absolutely no unnecessary eye candy, if you don't want it! :-)
OpenBox here :-) It works really well for my simple use.
Whats linux? (i blame tinyE :) )