It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Guess what, it's Throwback Thursday and today we're diving into the beginnings of a legendary saga that is still alive and well to this day. It's also one of the games that recently received exclusive free goodies, including renders and screenshots, thanks to the The Video Game History Foundation, and none other than the fabled Tomb Raider series!

Released between 1996 and 1998, to critical acclaim, the original Tomb Raider trilogy introduced the world to one of its most famous protagonists. Lara Croft, the fearless archaeologist-adventurer, invited millions of gamers to follow her on her adventures, mixing platforms, puzzle, and shooting with dedicated mechanics for each, through an array of diverse locations, from Peru to Tibet, to solve mythical intrigues. Is there really more to say about one of the most successful series of all time? Well, find out at least why our very own Tania has such fond memories of the games!

Recommended by Tania, Sales Team:

[i]My journey with Lara started for the first time at my friend’s house, during summer vacation. I remember she had Tomb Raider III, and it was pretty amazing, as well as quite emotional for a kid.
After coming back I was nagging my parents to get a Tomb Raider game too, as I had my first very own computer back then. They managed to find Tomb Raider II at the (in)famous 10th-Anniversary Stadium in Warsaw and I had a blast playing it too, although it always pained me when I had to fight the doggos in the game, poor souls!
high rated
Is it okay to take this as a hint that more Tomb Raider Games are coming?

-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
-Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider

just being hopeful.

Side not there are quite a few interesting open source projects like Open Lara in the works which are similar to what ZDoom does for Doom.
I'm just going on record to say the original Tomb Raider is underrated.

Maybe not so much at the time, as it did get a lot of press and birthed a franchise. But to more mainstream audiences then and today... the visuals are ugly, her tank controls are unfriendly, and really it's known more for her pyramidal assets then anything else.

For me, though, I think it's absolutely brilliant and is my favorite 3D adventure game of all time.

Sure it falls apart at the end with weird alien/creatures that push it towards awkward gun-play. But the vast majority of the game is eerily sparse with true threats, and instead gives you a true feeling of adventuring and exploration.

You see that platform over there in the distance? Square up your body, back up to give yourself a runway, take a sprint and jump at the right time. What the limiting "tank" controls do is give you precision not only in your movements, but also in level-design. You see that path up in the corner of the screen? Everything else at ground level looks like a dead-end. Scan all around - Hmm I see a ledge here I can pull up on, a walkway there, a gap I can jump there - aha! That's where I need to go!

The entire world is an environmental puzzle.
Post edited February 17, 2022 by thuey
I agree with the colleague, @thuey.

The first Tomb Raider is very much underrated. Even the second game is more highly regarded by the community and critics. But, of course, for obvious reasons. Tomb Raider II is a step further and in this game the development team implemented many ideas that had been left on the back burner.

Honestly, I didn't play the original trilogy on the old PSX. But I remember all the hype the first game made worldwide. The whole fanbase around Lara Croft was at her feet. Literally the character became the love interest of some fans. Altars in Lara's name were erected throughout the community. TV news reports referred to deaths (from heart problems) where the video game Tomb Raider was blamed. Everything that happened at that time was total madness.

Eidos and Core started an awareness campaign to warn video gamers with epilepsy problems to be careful with images and colours. At that time some gamers considered Lara to be a real girl (with all her polygons).

Tomb Raider is a classic in every sense of the word. Its mechanics and innovation, its graphics and sounds, and its tank controls (they were the industry trend at the time).

Eventually I played the trilogy on PC. I loved the first one, I adored the second one and I thought the third one was great. I like the second Lara game better though. Currently, I'm replaying the first Tomb Raider. And I had to get used to its controls again. Haha... :P

The graphics and Sound have aged over time, but the essence of the game is still there. I want to continue with the second game of the series (even with all the compatibility problems it has nowadays). I hope to see on GOG the rest of the games that are missing from the saga or franchise in their catalogue and buy them. I already have all the ones on GOG. And I'm waiting for the ones that are missing on the platform.

If there is a video game that set market trends, Tomb Raider was undoubtedly one of them.
Post edited February 17, 2022 by UCrest
While the best Tomb Raider game to me is the one called "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine", I can definitely recommend the first three games :)

3-2-1 is the order of preference to me. Especially liked that you could choose the order you visit the areas in in TR 3.
Post edited February 17, 2022 by idbeholdME
I remember playing the PC demo of the first TR... it took me 2 hours to download the 2MB file in the university network.... ups. The internet was that slow back in the day!

I was hooked by the exploration, and altough I could not advance a lot, it was very entertaining. I think that feeling is still present, even if the graphics show their age.
wolfsite: Is it okay to take this as a hint that more Tomb Raider Games are coming?

-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
-Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider

just being hopeful.

Side not there are quite a few interesting open source projects like Open Lara in the works which are similar to what ZDoom does for Doom.
Or Lara Croft Go, which in spite of being originally designed for mobile platforms (because some people seem to get bothered by that) it's a very nice little puzzle game.
I was a new owner of a pc for only a short while, when my brother offered to borrow me a game. I had never heard of it - Tomb Raider. Popped it in, it ran on my system and had a good time playing it. And what a great pleasure at beating the game, managing to kill the boss, the only human opponent in the game, after retrieving that artifact. And then...

And then there's a cutscene ... about a climbing a building ... and realising that there are more artifacts to chase ... and therefore you're nowhere near done playing the game... It will probably always remain one of my fondest gaming memories.

And I finally finished TR2 last year (I tried to finish every stage without saving during it, whilst also getting all kills, pickups and secrets without using any medikits for too many years - and failed miserably) and have just reached Antarctica in TR3 a week or so ago, so I hope to finally complete the original trilogy sometime this year still, d.v.

edit: I meant to also give a shout out to Stella's Tomb Raider walkthroughs over at tombraiders.net. They will help anyone stuck anywhere on these games.
Post edited February 17, 2022 by musteriuz
thuey: I'm just going on record to say the original Tomb Raider is underrated.
I wouldn't say underrated, but some people didn't like the cave levels and stopped even before getting to the T-rex..
thuey: Sure it falls apart at the end with weird alien/creatures
What!? I loved that you encountered those ancient creatures.
They were quite dangerous and terrifying, though.
thuey: What the limiting "tank" controls do is give you precision not only in your movements, but also in level-design. [..]
The entire world is an environmental puzzle.
I must say that it took me a while back then to understand the texture measurement method to correctly jump hehe
It was a real stunner and a big jump for 3d graphics. The first time I saw screenshots of the PC version my jaw was on the floor. Unfortunately I was stuck with the vastly inferior Saturn version at home, but it was still fun to play, despite those awkward tank controls.
Post edited February 17, 2022 by Plumb
Where are the rest of the tomb raiders?

Really pissed off with Square Enix and GoG over this, they should have been here, and then they gave them away for free on Epic!

I'd still pay for DRM free Rise and Shadow of the TOmb Raider, but right now it would leave a bitter taste.
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
and
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
next, please.
Legendary series.

Come to think of it I don't think I ever finished TR1 completely. Or Last Revelation sadly. That probably requires rectifying at some point.
Great games, but unless I am mistaken we are still missing the bonus levels etc for them.
TR1 still holds up pretty well for an early 3D game if one can get used to the tanky controls. Must have played the demo a gazillion times back in the day. Played the full game when my brother was able to borrow a friend's Playstation. Didn't actual own my own copy until much later.

That said, Tomb Raider Anniversary is a nigh-on perfect remaking of the first with many quality-of-life additions. Still my favorite game of the franchise. :)